Is Doug Ford handling the Covid 19 outbreak good?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, myata said:

We can also begin to feel a vague feeling of sorriness for ourselves suspecting (or knowing?) that this is not going to end... anytime soon... or maybe, ever?

Well it should.  Omicron’s fast spread and milder symptoms follow the same pattern as the Spanish Flu’s final stage before it became endemic.  Already governments have given up trying to test everyone. There’s a general acknowledgment that the case numbers are much higher than we can illustrate through test results and data.   Yet ICU admissions have only nudged upwards.  Hospitalizations are shorter and almost everyone who gets Omicron recovers.  My guess is that millions of people have had or are carrying Omicron and don’t know it because they’re asymptomatic or simply aren’t worried about how they feel.

At a certain point soon even the screening we use to keep people who may have the disease isolated will be more trouble than it’s worth.  Is it really necessary for someone with mild symptoms to stay home or for someone who was a close contact of someone with Omicron to stay home, especially when so many adults are vaccinated?

People are already covering up that they’re ill.  Here’s the kicker:  It may be in our interest to get Omicron to protect us against worse variants.  Like the Spanish Flu in its last drama, people are starting not to worry about getting it because they know it’s unlikely to really hurt them and it isn’t going away.

I hope and think the current increased restrictions are a last attempt to slow the inevitable spread to make sure hospitals can handle the numbers, but if the hospitals are okay and people are recovering well, there can be no justification for continued restrictions.  People should soon be able to gather and throw away their masks.  If they can’t, we’ll know for sure that the restrictions aren’t really about Covid anymore.

If they’re still selling the pandemic and imposing restrictions in late March, we should be very worried, because the pandemic is already near enough to over. This round of restrictions is supposed to slow the spread so adults can get the boosts and kids can be vaccinated, if that’s even necessary anymore.

Edited by Zeitgeist

13 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Somebody tell the dunderheads.

Would they be interested though? Thing are working not so bad there as they are: the glorious struggle is going on, policies and lockdowns rolling happily as ever, nation savior credits and kudos not to mention healthy salaries and benefits (hi, our frontline heroes). Life full of purpose and energy, let's defeat it forever (another decade) bring it on!

Edited by myata

19 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Certainly the thousands of health care workers who quit exacerbates the problem. It was one of the points raised today, although no one is connecting the dots here. Just too bad.

That's just conjecture. Do you have stats on the number of people who quit because they refused to get vaccinated vs who just couldn't handle dealing with waves of deathly sick people for capped pay? 

The issue is Healthcare workers testing positive. I would suspect an unvaccinated worker would be the most likely to succumb to absenteeism considering how easy Omicron is to get. 

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

Do you have stats on the number of people who quit because they refused to get vaccinated vs who just couldn't handle dealing with waves of deathly sick people for capped pay?

You are free to look things up if you have questions. The government is not going to be proud of this of course, and that means hiding information. They failed to support nurses during this crisis, when they are needed most.

Whether it be due to mandates or otherwise, this is a failure of management and here now is the result.

• Like 1

Just now, OftenWrong said:

You are free to look things up if you have questions. The government is not going to be proud of this of course, and that means hiding information. They failed to support nurses during this crisis, when they are needed most.

Whether it be due to mandates or otherwise, this is a failure of management and here now is the result.

I would suggest forcing people to go home with the sniffles, because technically it's COVID, is the main culprit. 

Again, the concern is not deathly sick people over-running the Hospital and staying there for weeks. It's patients, in hospital for something unrelated to COVID testing positive or Healthcare workers testing positive. 

I'm eager to see the updated statistics Ontario will release today. 

My guess is that if we stop testing asymptomatic people and people with mild symptoms, our case counts will drop.  Go figure.  If we stop screening these people to keep them from entering workplaces, we may see less absenteeism.  We may discover that the hospitals aren’t overwhelmed and we can stop wearing masks and end all restrictions because, lo and behold, the pandemic is over in Canada.  Just a hunch of course…

The real metric we need to be tracking is the number of patients in Hospital that were already in hospital for an unrelated reason before testing positive. 

The rate of Hospitalization, testing positive, tripled in a week. I suspect many were already in the hospital. 

This would also be instructive of ICU capacity. If people in the ICU are suddenly testing positive for Omicron, then it skews how many people are experiencing critical respiratory illness from community spread. 

22 minutes ago, Boges said:

The real metric we need to be tracking is the number of patients in Hospital that were already in hospital for an unrelated reason before testing positive. 

The rate of Hospitalization, testing positive, tripled in a week. I suspect many were already in the hospital. 

This would also be instructive of ICU capacity. If people in the ICU are suddenly testing positive for Omicron, then it skews how many people are experiencing critical respiratory illness from community spread. 

Good lawd, this scenario has been playing out for over a year now.

Welcome to the party

7 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Good lawd, this scenario has been playing out for over a year now.

Welcome to the party

Cite? 

In previous waves, people would be admitted with acute respiratory illness caused by COVID. I'm thinking that's not happening with Omicron. 

With the number of Nurses missing work because they've tested positive, it's indicative of patients being infected while in the hospital. 

What a racket this Covid business is.  I consider it over.  It’s only the health puritans and hypochondriacs that want restrictions.  Everyone else is ready to move on.  I can only think governments are trying to use up all the PPE they bought by catering to the paranoid, so that later on it looks like they procured just the right amount of crap.  Too much budget allocated to the pandemic, so governments are trying to justify themselves.

Edited by Zeitgeist

4 hours ago, Goddess said:

You know what they say - The difference between a conspiracy theory and the truth is 6 months to a year.

Good one. We already heard about these things a while ago when it came out that anyone who died in hospital WITH covid is listed as having died OF covid. Boges wasn’t listening back then either! ;) 

Occam's razor? We are polluted, over populated, to many countries/military playing around with this crap. Seems the problem is not enough people died. But now just starting to understand the "long covid" How much future health dollars will be spent on long term heart and lung problems?

11 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Good one. We already heard about these things a while ago when it came out that anyone who died in hospital WITH covid is listed as having died OF covid. Boges wasn’t listening back then either! ;) 

I was, but you had people lingering on Ventilators for weeks to months. This was the issue back then. 

They've conceded that's not what's happening here. It's just the volume of cases and lack of staff, because everyone is going to get this thing. 

I'm not saying Hospitals are doing this to pad numbers. If someone gets COVID in the Hospital, that's a bad thing. But it's evidence that Omicron isn't making people deathly ill, when they get it. 

1 hour ago, myata said:

There's a way more interesting question here (not that it's not related): who will you vote for in the coming election? No, seriously! Could it be that we have arrived, without even noticing?

When they’re all almost the same and almost equally disappointing, it’s hard to believe there are any real options in our so called democracy.  All the parties seem to think that government overreach and micromanaging people is fine.  Fake options.  Canada is China.  

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

All the parties seem to think that government overreach and micromanaging people is fine.  

One has to wonder, if it weren't for this tiny-winy thingy, would we have ever found out? Not like in looking very hard and couldn't but even bother to see it glaringly obvious and register? So is it a curse or a blessing, I don't say a wake-up call because that generally works only on those alive.

8 minutes ago, myata said:

One has to wonder, if it weren't for this tiny-winy thingy, would we have ever found out? Not like in looking very hard and couldn't but even bother to see it glaringly obvious and register? So is it a curse or a blessing, I don't say a wake-up call because that generally works only on those alive.

Good point.  The population is mollified and hypnotized by their devices and drugs, paralyzed by fear through media hype, and infantilized by government control.

Perfect conditions for totalitarianism.  

People fight this every step if the way, then bitch because we are still dealing with it. The earth is sick.over population, countries going backwards instead of forward because of religion. Countries and militaries been playing with this crap for yrs. Lets go back to the start. I believe this did start in china and the timeline with that and the 2 chinese scientists being kicked out of the country, and we are not allowed to know. Something smell fishy. And doug ford is getting it left right and centre and where is trudeau? Media running interference for him?

Edited by PIK
  • Thanks 1

I'm watching Andea Horvath on tv right now. Typical Libbie. All pomp and no solutions. 

Hey Andea. You live on public dole as a result of your lockdowns for a few months. Then maybe your claim that you even give a rat's ass about the public might have a sliver of credibility. 

Dumb shit...

3 hours ago, PIK said:

People fight this every step if the way, then bitch because we are still dealing with it. The earth is sick.over population, countries going backwards instead of forward because of religion. Countries and militaries been playing with this crap for yrs. Lets go back to the start. I believe this did start in china and the timeline with that and the 2 chinese scientists being kicked out of the country, and we are not allowed to know. Something smell fishy. And doug ford is getting it left right and centre and where is trudeau? Media running interference for him?

Yup.  China leads the global consensus now, which is why UN suck-up Trudeau is all in with totalitarian restrictions.   People don’t realize how much freedom Canadians have lost. You only realize it when you travel to states where people live without restrictions.  Like a country  behind the old Iron Curtain, Canadians don’t know what they’re missing.  I wonder if Canadians can start making refugee claims in Florida because of Canada’s oppressive policies.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

10 hours ago, Boges said:

I was, but you had people lingering on Ventilators for weeks to months. This was the issue back then. 

They've conceded that's not what's happening here. It's just the volume of cases and lack of staff, because everyone is going to get this thing. 

I'm not saying Hospitals are doing this to pad numbers. If someone gets COVID in the Hospital, that's a bad thing. But it's evidence that Omicron isn't making people deathly ill, when they get it. 

Apparently this is all about freeing up space for a mere 1200-1500 beds, according to Moore. How pathetic that they could not provide resources to add them. I know for fact that the hospital in my area closed 400 beds in the past 20 years. That’s one hospital in small town.

Ontario Auditor General's report is discussed in the link below, which confirms what I said above. This report is from 2016, so very timely.

http://www.ontariohealthcoalition.ca/wp-content/uploads/backgrounder-on-hospital-bed-shortage.pdf

"Not only has Ontario cut more hospital beds than any other province in Canada, we also now rank at the bottom of international data on hospital beds per population. Compared to 33 countries of the OECD, Ontario is third last in hospital beds per capita, followed only by Mexico and Turkey."

Good article explains why there is a nursing shortage in ON, because of what Doug Ford has done.

Nurses take aim at Ford in Nathan Phillips protest

“My colleagues are leaving,” she said. “A lot of the most experienced nurses are gone. We have new grads working without support.”

Which brings us back to the poll question, "Is Doug Ford handling the Covid 19 outbreak good?" 

No.

And he makes a shitty cheesecake, too.