Did Trudeau Fail His Country On Covid-19

Message added by Charles Anthony

The thread "Trudeau Government FAILED in Handling the Pandemic" was merged into this thread. 

Did Trudeau Fail His Country On Covid-19  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Our health officials are telling us that social distancing is mandatory to limit the spread of coronavirus.

An obvious part of social distancing is staying away from people who you know have a really good chance of carrying the virus. Eg, people who have a sick family member at home with them, or people who have symptoms.

So, was limiting the flow of people from the center of the outbreak important back in January, when there were very few cases in Canada, or did it somehow just become important on March 19th? 

For people who don't think that Trudeau failed us, I'd love to know why you feel like it's important to use social distancing and stop international travel now, but it wasn't 45 days earlier.   

Not even one lib supporter can say a word i Tudeau's defnce, and yet our media hasn't raised even a single question. 

CBC propagates stuff like this on Trump: https://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/opinion-sean-mallen-coronavirus-1.5491827

Here's CBC pumping out some of Justin's virtue signalling: https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/coronavirus-canada-trudeau-february-1-1.5448834 This article even mentions that other countries were already banning direct flights from China. More from the article:

The Public Health Agency of Canada, which is working alongside provinces and territories to monitor the novel coronavirus, says the risk to Canadians is low. 

Hmmmm, I thought that it was really bad for people to say that for some reason..... And now our entire country is shut down....

Anyways, nothing negative is coming up in a search for CBC/Trudeau/coronavirus. Surprisingly, they're not willing to kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

Edited by WestCanMan

Banning flights from China early on doesn't seem to have helped the US much.  I do think that Canada could have banned gatherings much earlier but realistically would people have put up with that when there were so few cases ?  Were the chief medical officers recommending that ?

We also could have sealed off the borders, but the above questions remain.  

Also - the two options above are ridiculous.  1 - obvious solutions don't work; 2 - some random idea is THE solution; PICK ONE ...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Banning flights from China early on doesn't seem to have helped the US much.  I do think that Canada could have banned gatherings much earlier but realistically would people have put up with that when there were so few cases ?  Were the chief medical officers recommending that ?

We also could have sealed off the borders, but the above questions remain.  

Also - the two options above are ridiculous.  1 - obvious solutions don't work; 2 - some random idea is THE solution; PICK ONE ...

We banned flights from China early on and put those returning on special flights into strict quarantine but it didn't help us much. The virus arrived here in the UK via Italy instead.

I suspect that only a worldwide shutdown of all international travel would have made any real difference.

The first error in the assumptions is that Tur...TRUdeau is or can provide any sort of leadership.   His selection of a cabinet based on political correctness and racial/minority inclusiveness was and is a recipe for disaster, and disaster we have.   In all fairness, the political opposites South of 49 did an even worse job.

The time to manufacture critical things was 2 months ago.  Instead, we see the idiot child trying to score points by telling us HE is going to get business to manufacture ventilators etc. when nobody has even started to tool up for the purpose.   Leaving airports open to international and even domestic flights with NOTHING in place to monitor condition of travelers was IMHO a criminally negligent lack of action.

NOBODY can or could stop the virus, but those in position of power were and are obligated to delay long enough to put in place what they/we did not and do not have - adequate preparedness.

IMHO: the world's gold standard in this has been Taiwan.  The turd standard will probably be African nations.

• Like 2

Guest ProudConservative

Let's be impartial here, Justin is guilty of criminal negligence, but so it Donald Trump. If you want to credit some leadership, give the credit to Vladimir Putin.

Edited by ProudConservative

Canada must be doing something right. The US has twice  as many cases per capita as Canada. This is mainly due to Trudeau's government listening to people who actually know what they are talking about. 

Note to self: Never play poker with the officials standing behind President Trump at the press conference yesterday. When he said he had a feeling that the malaria treatment would be effective and that he was smart, not one of them cracked a smile or gave any perceptible facial reaction. 

Guest ProudConservative
11 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Canada must be doing something right. The US has twice  as many cases per capita as Canada. This is mainly due to Trudeau's government listening to people who actually know what they are talking about. 

Note to self: Never play poker with the officials standing behind President Trump at the press conference yesterday. When he said he had a feeling that the malaria treatment would be effective and that he was smart, not one of them cracked a smile or gave any perceptible facial reaction. 

There are vested interested in the big pharma lobby. Just because Trump has been wrong, doesn't mean he's always wrong. I've heard a few governments show positive results using anti malaria drugs on patients. It's an antiviral medication, so it probably will help control the infection.

I left my anti malaria pills with my mom in the city. I told her too clean out the cabinets, and search for them... just in case there's an emergency... she keeps procrastinating, and won't search for the pills

Edited by ProudConservative

This link details where the virus came from early on in BC. 

5 from China, late January - they do not seem to have passed it on.

From early February on, many from Iran; that seems to have resulted in some community transmission. 

A few from Egypt, a few from Europe and India.

So for BC at least, it looks like an earlier ban from China wouldn't have done much good, but a travel ban from Iran might have. 

Although, I don't think we can actually ban our own citizens, can we?

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

My favorite part is watching the people onscreen with him.  Sometimes they clearly transmit their inner thoughts.  :)

Apparently, if you take aggressive measures early on and keep them, then you can fight the virus and still have a working economy, schools open, restaurants to go to, and almost no social disruption. It requires strong leadership, though, and strong measures to test for and isolate those with the virus. Canada does not have strong leadership, and it is still only testing those who have traveled or come into contact with travelers. It is not testing people who have no symptoms at all, or even those who do have symptoms but have no known contact with those who have the virus.

Sandra Johnson’s husband had already left for work by the time she talked to the National Post Thursday — early Friday morning where she lives in Singapore. His office was open, and the expat from Mississauga, Ont., was herself planning to visit a nearby mall later. She had gone to the chiropractor the day before. The city-state of six million is an eastern Asian transportation hub and for a few days had the world’s second-highest number of COVID-19 cases. But its total stood at a modest 345 Friday, with no deaths. And as Canadians hunker down in their homes or go on panic-buying sprees at the local grocery, life in Singapore motors on more or less as usual.

“I haven’t felt that I’ve been inconvenienced,” said Johnson, 51, who’s lived in Singapore since 1997. “Shops and restaurants are open … I’m able to go outside, I’m able to live my live pretty much normally right now.”

https://nationalpost.com/health/how-taiwan-and-singapore-managed-to-contain-covid-19-while-letting-normal-life-go-on

Edited by Argus

48 minutes ago, Argus said:

Apparently, if you take aggressive measures early on and keep them, then you can fight the virus and still have a working economy, schools open, restaurants to go to, and almost no social disruption. It requires strong leadership, though, and strong measures to test for and isolate those with the virus. Canada does not have strong leadership,

Different societies and cultures operate differently, so the measures you advocate for would not be a guarantee of success for Canads, or perhaps any Western culture, because personal freedoms and individualism are highly valued, a difference which is pointed out in your link.    

"Kwong does see possible barriers to Canada adopting a similar approach, like chronic under-funding of public health here and a populace less at ease with government control than some east-Asian societies.

“I can say this because I’m (ethnic) Asian but they’re generally pretty obedient people,” he said. “I find that in a lot of Western countries there’s this philosophy of individualism.” "

45 minutes ago, Boges said:

Toronto has assessment centres where they're testing people with symptoms. That's why cases are going up.

We are not testing nearly enough people. And we have a severe shortage of medical supplies, especially masks, which help prevent the spread. Many people are asymptomatic and move around spreading the disease without knowing it. We need a crash program to produce test kits and increase lab capacity for testing.

Edited by Argus

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Different societies and cultures operate differently, so the measures you advocate for would not be a guarantee of success for Canads, or perhaps any Western culture, because personal freedoms and individualism are highly valued, a difference which is pointed out in your link.    

"Kwong does see possible barriers to Canada adopting a similar approach, like chronic under-funding of public health here and a populace less at ease with government control than some east-Asian societies.

“I can say this because I’m (ethnic) Asian but they’re generally pretty obedient people,” he said. “I find that in a lot of Western countries there’s this philosophy of individualism.” "

They're also fining people thousand of dollar for violating quarantines. I suggest this would have an impact in Canada, even on idiots.

I do not agree that this anyone's fault. Looking for scapegoats is pointless. I hate Trudeau as a politician but to blame him for what is happening is pointless. He is doing what he is being advised to do. He is doing his best.

Edited by Rue
  • Like 2

Just now, Rue said:

I do not agree that this anyone's fault. Looking for scapegoats is pointless. I hate Trudeau as a politician but to blame him for what is happening is pointless.

It is not his fault that the virus started. But to suggest he cannot be blamed despite having plenty of warning and doing NOTHING to prepare for this is flat out wrong.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Let's be impartial here, Justin is guilty of criminal negligence, but so it Donald Trump. If you want to credit some leadership, give the credit to Vladimir Putin.

Glorious leader Putin singlehandedly defeat virus in cage match. 

The Russian strategy - run your country so badly nobody wants to visit. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

22 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Strong leadership is a left wing concept. It is incompatable with individual rights and freedom. If you want strong leadership, look to China, Russia or North Korea. 

That's a really fucked up way of looking at things.  I want strong follow-ship based on an appreciation for principled ethical and moral leadership.  

I'd rather burn our civilization and society to the ground before ever embarking on a course that was guided by your conception of what you think the left wing want's and why you think its wrong. I don't even want to know what you think the right course is.

Taiwan and Singapore have done remarkably well so far despite their proximity, and close links, to China. They seem to have learned more from SARS than we did:

Taiwan’s response in a sense began shortly after SARS, when it set up a national health command centre, which includes a central epidemic command centre. As news of the new coronavirus emerged from Wuhan, it took extensive measures to identify cases imported into the country. Officials actually boarded planes from the Chinese city to assess passengers, ordering those with fever into isolation.

It merged health and travel databases — a seemingly complex task achieved within a day — then made that information widely available to help identify cases.

https://nationalpost.com/health/how-taiwan-and-singapore-managed-to-contain-covid-19-while-letting-normal-life-go-on#comments-area

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762689

1 hour ago, Argus said:

We are not testing nearly enough people. And we have a severe shortage of medical supplies, especially masks, which help prevent the spread. Many people are asymptomatic and move around spreading the disease without knowing it. We need a crash program to produce test kits and increase lab capacity for testing.

People without symptoms going to public places where people have symptoms would not be advisable. 

Anyone with the sniffles will run to an assessment centre just to check. 

The shortage of medical supplies globally is pretty definitive evidence this pandemic is serious. 

Guest ProudConservative
1 minute ago, Boges said:

The shortage of medical supplies globally is pretty definitive evidence this pandemic is serious. 

How do you explain this to the people who still think the virus isn't serous, and this is a hoax? lol