Will it be the virus that takes Trump down?

Well the US is keeping its  actual death rates low compared to others. As well Trump has said in not so subtle words-keeping the US locked down indefinitely ain't gonna fly. I am glad he said it. Someone had to. He is being realistic. You can not house arrest the world indefinitely. They have to move to a new approach.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Shady said:

The United States has tested 400,000 people in the last 8 days but Trump sucks.  Canada has tested 100,000 people total, but a Trudeau’s awesome! :lol:

The US is demonstrating efficient report testing and virus containment because of it. Their death rates are much lower than other nations. Also Trump is the only one who has said it and that is-the notion we keep people under house arrest indefinitely is not feasible. Gawd damn it I agree with him. He is refreshing in a world of tongue tied panic stricken bureaucrats damn it to tell you the truth Shady. Gawd this is something.  The virus has me in agreement with Trump. Damn you contaminated bats is it.

• Like 1

Trump is pushing hard to get to the finish line, but his actions would still be tempered by state governors and their respective infection rates.   My own governor (Democrat) has been very reluctant to shut down like NY, because the numbers do not justify it (yet).

This is Trump's way....brash and instinctual about what he wants to do, critics be damned.    The cure should not be worse than the disease.

More Americans will get behind him if he is more right than he is wrong. 

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Well the US is keeping its  actual death rates low compared to others. As well Trump has said in not so subtle words-keeping the US locked down indefinitely ain't gonna fly. I am glad he said it. Someone had to. He is being realistic. You can not house arrest the world indefinitely. They have to move to a new approach.

Yeah the leader of your country can't just say "All I see is doom and gloom."

I think Easter is a goal, predicated on positive results from the testing of some anti-viral drugs. I sure hope it pans out.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump is pushing hard to get to the finish line, but his actions would still be tempered by state governors and their respective infection rates.   My own governor (Democrat) has been very reluctant to shut down like NY, because the numbers do not justify it (yet).

This is Trump's way....brash and instinctual about what he wants to do, critics be damned.    The cure should not be worse than the disease.

The pattern of pandemics is that when you loosen up restrictions the infections rates spike again, then you lock down again, and it stages down in waves

So it is possible that the lock downs could come and go, as they just do reconnaissance by death

If this goal of Easter works out for him, then he absolutely aced the handling of this virus. 

I sure hope he's right. Getting the world back on track would be so huge if it can happen that early.

22 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

If this goal of Easter works out for him, then he absolutely aced the handling of this virus. 

I sure hope he's right. Getting the world back on track would be so huge if it can happen that early.

I think Easter is a stretch goal that would mark the beginning of recovery, even if only symbolic (i.e. "resurrection").

The important thing that Trump understands is the need to stop further economic destruction and the much longer lasting impact of that compared to COVID-19 deaths.    Americans will not hide out in their homes for many months or years.

It reminds me of a scene from the 1979 film "The Warriors" set in New York City when they were outnumbered and being chased by the Baseball Furies gang through a Manhattan park, wherein they decided to stop running and fight back.  

Trump will either benefit from this biggly, or crash and burn.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrEmF4SK3T4

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's what makes him a leader - he's making the tough calls. Sticking his neck out there.

Thank god North America has one leader who's not just hiding under a blankie until the thing blows over. 

• Like 2

I think Easter is a stretch goal that would mark the beginning of recovery, even if only symbolic (i.e. "resurrection").

The important thing that Trump understands is the need to stop further economic destruction and the much longer lasting impact of that compared to COVID-19 deaths.    Americans will not hide out in their homes for many months or years.

It reminds me of a scene from the 1979 film "The Warriors" set in New York City when they were outnumbered and being chased by the Baseball Furies gang through a Manhattan park, wherein they decided to stop running and fight back.  

I think it’s a good goal.  But I’d bet Trump delays it by an extra week or two.

1 minute ago, Shady said:

I think it’s a good goal.  But I’d bet Trump delays it by an extra week or two.

Agreed...it is flexible.  The important message that most Americans got from this is that Trump understands the disruption and is pushing for sooner rather than later.    My wife is a Trump hating lefty, but she likes that Trump is trying to define the beginning of the end, because she hates the shutdown even more.

It's Trump being Trump...he is not going to change now.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Agreed...it is flexible.  The important message that most Americans got from this is that Trump understands the disruption and is pushing for sooner rather than later.    My wife is a Trump hating lefty, but she likes that Trump is trying to define the beginning of the end, because she hates the shutdown even more.

It's Trump being Trump...he is not going to change now.

Exactly.  Trump being Trump.  And anti-Trumpers still don’t understand that you don’t take him literally all of the time.  But you take him seriously.  They still don’t understand after almost 4 years.

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Nice clip. There's nothing like a good piece of hickory.

Btw, this is probably one of the reasons New York is having such a difficult time.  It’s government completely ignored the threat of the virus.  I know, I know, it’s Trump’s fault!  From the chairman of the New York City health committee and from the New York City health commissioner.  Good job morons!

54 minutes ago, Shady said:

Btw, this is probably one of the reasons New York is having such a difficult time.  It’s government completely ignored the threat of the virus.  I know, I know, it’s Trump’s fault!  From the chairman of the New York City health committee and from the New York City health commissioner.  Good job morons

...and now Gov. Cuomo is crying the blues and demanding that other cities/states send their ventilators and PPE to New York.

Cuomo told the NYC mayor that only he had the authority to impose city wide quarantines after the mayor wanted to do so.

Cuomo, de Blasio clash over possible shelter-in-place system for NYC

32 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

...and now Gov. Cuomo is crying the blues and demanding that other cities/states send their ventilators and PPE to New York.

Cuomo told the NYC mayor that only he had the authority to impose city wide quarantines after the mayor wanted to do so.

Cuomo, de Blasio clash over possible shelter-in-place system for NYC

We warned people to get out of the cities, if they didn't heed those warnings, I chalk it up as can't save people from themselves.

It's like even now my wife is trying to get her older sister to leave the city and she declines to

But she's already trapped in her tiny condo,  she's older and she's got all the underlying conditions which makes the bug lethal

Doesn't matter if they end the lock down, she can't go out because the bug is not going away

She's going to be in the hot zone, and when it's that hot, even shelter in place is not safe

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well, my brother lives in midtown Manhattan about two blocks from the Empire State Building.   Basically "Ground Zero".

He said he would rather die in New York than live in Nebraska.

A Great American, I have nothing but respect for a man who prefers to die with his boots on.

Thing is tho, with biological warfare you end up dying alone in the hospital on a ventilator

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That's why you always save one round for yourself.

If I catch it I'll just try to ride it out, I'm not going to leave a pile of brains for my poor wife to clean up, so I'd just have to man up and ride it all the way down

I hear it kills you pretty fast tho, once it gets its hooks into you, so it's not like dying slowly of cancer