Will it be the virus that takes Trump down?

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Fine....then he deserves no blame either, despite your efforts to heap loads upon him.

BTW, Obama just continued Bush's recovery efforts, so don't forget to give him credit too.

Its hard to know who is responsible in government for positive or negative effects on world markets. I mean we speculate certain comments can cause stock market panic, and certain policies we speculate stimulate and discourage economic growth but do we really know?  We speculate that tax cuts and tax increases both stimulate and discourage economic growth. The same economists say both depending on their mood.

I quite frankly do not think any economist can truly say a policy or law helps or does not help. They guess right?

I am willing to guess the stock markets and business in general prefers Trump to Obama based on stock prices and what businesses say but I am like you-I read this. Do any of us really know? I am convinced certain Trudeau policies hinder the economy but I am conceding its based on probably my bias that too much regulation of markets and too little regulation of markets are equally as negative in impact on markets. I personally believe though Trudeau has zero on his economic policies and is a mouthpiece. I speculate Harper had more control simply because he had a Master's in Economics so would have had a personal interest in it unlike Trudeau who seems to be as deep in thought as a dim light bulb.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rue said:

...I did say in the past I hated him. I should have said  I hate what he stands for. Mea culpa on that. Fair is fair. I was wrong to attack him at a personal level as he does others. Two wrongs do  not make a right but don't think everyone is me or that what I said literally means I hate him as a human. Thank you.

Well, that's fair, but don't put all the blame on yourself.

Donald Trump has purposely and effectively trolled his ideological and globalist enemies, domestically and abroad.  It is amazing how Trump has been able work other nationals into a foaming lather with his policies and antics.  In many ways he drives them nuts because they allow him to.

As others here have noted, it is Trump's ability to invoke such reactions from friends or foes that remains remarkable, even though he has been doing it for years now.   I guess it just never gets old. 

President Trump would very much like to command the microphone over the C-19 crisis, but handlers have warned him to let go and have VP Pence + agencies take the lead.    It is very difficult for Trump to accept less Trump driving media, but he still has Twitter, his favourite weapon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rue said:

Why? You just made a sweeping generalization that anyone who does not like Trump hates him. Why would I need to look in the mirror? I do not think everyone who disagrees with Trump hates him. I think most of them disagree with him. In fact I think you project hatred on anyone you think disagrees with Trump which makes you as hateful as them, and you missed the point.

As for me and you need to clearly understand this, I hate a lot of things Trump says and stands for. Many. My hatred is limited to what he says and represents. I do not know him as a person. I can't hate him as a person I do not know him as a person. Now that I have clarified that, which I thought would have been evident, I hope it provides you a good reason to stop generalizing about others. If you want to generalize about me Y please do so. I take it with a sense of humour. Y  I disagree with most of what Trump stands for but those who support Trump on this board know I do not simply disagree with everything he does. I do not like the way he bullies people. uses bad language, insults people with the twitter, mocks people. makes things personal. He turns every issue into a personal attack. Its not Presidential. Its loathsome. Its loathsome behavior. Do I hate him, I do not know the man Y. I only read what are his words  on twitter or on the news. They may not even be his words. I only go by what I read. So should you. Assuming what people actually feel is a little dangerous.

I did say in the past I hated him. I should have said  I hate what he stands for. Mea culpa on that. Fair is fair. I was wrong to attack him at a personal level as he does others. Two wrongs do  not make a right but don't think everyone is me or that what I said literally means I hate him as a human. Thank you.

I said that anyone who thinks Trump is the most incompetent president ever clearly hates him, not anyone who doesn't like him hates him. You are the one filled with hatred for Trump while accusing Trump of being filled with hatred, quick to point fingers, not so quick to look in mirror to spot the same faults you project on others.

You need to stop focusing on what he says and what you think he represents, and start focusing on his actual actions that matter, not the mere phrasing of a sentence with "bad language", get your priorities straight.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Well that was a low energy speech, and poorly read too, that did not make much sense. To say the US is the best prepared country to deal with this problem runs into a few problems with facts, e.g. the testing fiasco, and nobody needs to hear about a great economy when an epidemic is sweeping the nation. Why ban travelers from ‘Europe’ but exempt the UK and Ireland?  The tone was tired, grumpy and defensive - real old man stuff. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Well that was a low energy speech, and poorly read too, that did not make much sense. To say the US is the best prepared country to deal with this problem runs into a few problems with facts, e.g. the testing fiasco, and nobody needs to hear about a great economy when an epidemic is sweeping the nation. Why ban travelers from ‘Europe’ but exempt the UK and Ireland?  The tone was tired, grumpy and defensive - real old man stuff. 

What did you expect him to say....that the U.S. was worse than  Somalia for preparation ?

Trump doesn't like to read prepared text...much more comfortable and animated with ad lib.

The UK just divorced itself from Europe too (Brexit).

Trump was criticized early on for banning travel...now it is a policy adopted by many countries.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What did you expect him to say....that the U.S. was worse than  Somalia for preparation ?

Trump doesn't like to read prepared text...much more comfortable and animated with ad lib.

Trump was criticized early on for banning travel...now it is a policy adopted by many countries.

Take a look at Boris Johnson. The tone has to be upbeat even though the factual content is alarming. Trump doesn’t communicate that positivity and he makes a mess of the facts again and again. He keeps on giving away the fact that he’s mainly concerned about his own political prospects. Just get him to stop shaking hands at least and setting such a dreadful example. 

The UK is not divorced from Europe in this health crisis and has many, many COVID cases, far more than some of the countries covered by Trump’s weird new ban. Heathrow alone remains one of the busiest airports in the world. From a public health point of view, there’s no sense in exempting the UK (and Ireland). It is mere political theatre. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

Take a look at Boris Johnson. The tone has to be upbeat even though the factual content is alarming. Trump doesn’t communicate that positivity and he makes a mess of the facts repeatedly.

Depends on the topic....Trump can be very upbeat when he wants to be....to excess !

I watched Trudeau's $1Billion announcement ...not much energy with him either, and he is much younger than Trump.

The UK is not divorced from Europe in this health crisis and has many COVID cases, far more than some of the countries covered by Trump’s weird new ban. Heathrow alone remains one of the busiest airports in the world. fFrom a public health point of view, there’s no sense in exempting the UK (and Ireland). 

Screening can be done for arrivals or departures.   We don't know the details of why the UK was not included in the ban.

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Depends on the topic....Trump can be very upbeat when he wants to be....to excess !

I watched Trudeau's $1Billion announcement ...not much energy with him either, and he is much younger than Trump.

Screening can be done for arrivals or departures.   We don't know the details of why the UK was not included in the ban.

JT’s announcement was absurd but we are the discussing the US here, yes? 

Without a rapid test on site, screening is going to miss pre-symptomatic cases. Letting the UK and Ireland away with this makes it useless and is actually a sign of weakness. The China ban had some value early on but the virus is probably in every state now. Local efforts to slow transmission are what really count at this point to prevent an Italian scenario developing. 

1 minute ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

JT’s announcement was absurd but we are the discussing the US here, yes? 

Then why bring up Boris Johnson ?    Trump is not required to be more upbeat than any other "world leader", but for some reason he invites your critical scrutiny in that regard.   Maybe he should wear Groucho Marx glasses and moustache to be more entertaining ?    Or maybe blackface (sorry, had to get that one in) ?

Without a rapid test on site, screening is going to miss pre-symptomatic cases. Letting the UK and Ireland away with this makes it useless and is actually a sign of weakness. The China ban had some value early on but the virus is probably in every state now. Local efforts to slow transmission are what really count at this point to prevent an Italian scenario developing. 

There is no magic answer to this now....hell....the WHO waited too long to declare it a pandemic as well.

The UK and Ireland as well as Canada or other nations could be added later.

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Mine isn't....bonds funds are way up.    Shorted oil and energy indexes too.   

You can make money on either side of this sell off.

Whatever about that, do you really think involving Kushner in any way at all is a good idea here? What expertise or aptitude does he have to assist an already much criticized effort? 

Another thing: South Korea can now test 20,000 people per day. Why can’t you match that number in a country with a population over six times larger? You should be able to manage much more than that. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Whatever about that, do you really think involving Kushner in any way at all is a good idea here? What expertise or aptitude does he have to assist an already much criticized effort? 

Kushner has been used in the past...for instance in the Middle East.    Trump trusts him and demands loyalty from his staff.

Another thing: South Korea can now test 20,000 people per day. Why can’t you match that number in a country with a population over six times larger? You should be able to manage much more than that. 

Because the U.S. is not trying to match South Korea.   Just like Canada, you can't just walk in and demand a test.   A doctor orders a test based on symptoms and circumstances.  States are also implementing their own protocols for testing depending on outbreak severity (e.g. New York, California, Washington).

https://abcnews.go.com/International/massive-coronavirus-testing-program-south-korea-underscores-nimble/story?id=69226222

Edited by bush_cheney2004

9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I said that anyone who thinks Trump is the most incompetent president ever clearly hates him, not anyone who doesn't like him hates him. 

Now you engage in semantics. Your statement is as stupid and makes the same generalization. 

9 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

You need to stop focusing on what he says and what you think he represents, and start focusing on his actual actions that matter, not the mere phrasing of a sentence with "bad language", get your priorities straight.

Please do not tell me to get my priorities straight. You need to read what you write. Each time he writes, each time he speaks, those are actions. His language has direct cause and effect. Of course we focus on what he says its public domain and it immediately causes reactions. If you can't understand that you need to get your head straight. Think about what you wrote. If people ignore what he said and only paid attention to his "actual" actions what would that mean? You even have the faintest idea what that means. What is an "actual action". Is communicating on twitter an "actual action" or in your world is it to be ignored. When he makes a speech, is that an "actual action" or is that to be ignored?

You need to get real Y really.

8 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Nothing some prune juice can not fix. He's just irregular. Seriously though he looked like he was robot clone. Maybe they drugged him.

9 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

That’s because Trump is a tw&t and disgusting character. Just 48 hours ago on his speech he said everybody is ok and  everything is under control and just this morning blaming the spread on Europeans admitting people from China and other hotspots...The guy does not have a single bit of integrity.....

5 minutes ago, kactus said:

That’s because Trump is a tw&t and disgusting character. Just 48 hours ago on his speech he said everybody is ok and  everything is under control and just this morning blaming the spread on Europeans admitting people from China and other hotspots...The guy does not have a single bit of integrity.....

I blame people who eat bats. Shame. Bats are good. They eat mosquitoes.

25 minutes ago, Rue said:

True. Its probably a false rumour like everything else all kidding aside.

I am just a bit pead off rue....It frustrates me with our own government so relaxed about this pandemic and do as politicians do by shifting the blame on somebody else. Trump has proved time and time again that he dies not have the ability to remain truthful and changes his stance whichever way the wind blows...

I am really curious to understand from fellow Americans on this forum how Trump plans to support small businesses in the face of this pandemic.  

No country including the US can sustain their economy by closing their border to other countries.

Edited by kactus

8 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Perhaps he could start by conveying accurate information. :lol:

All trade suspended to Europe! LOL JK. 

He's such a moron. 

Anyone who criticized Obama for reading off a promoter should be ashamed of themselves after last night's speech. 

1 hour ago, Rue said:

Please do not tell me to get my priorities straight. You need to read what you write. Each time he writes, each time he speaks, those are actions. His language has direct cause and effect. Of course we focus on what he says its public domain and it immediately causes reactions. If you can't understand that you need to get your head straight. Think about what you wrote. If people ignore what he said and only paid attention to his "actual" actions what would that mean? You even have the faintest idea what that means. What is an "actual action". Is communicating on twitter an "actual action" or in your world is it to be ignored. When he makes a speech, is that an "actual action" or is that to be ignored?

You need to get real Y really.

Focusing on the tone and wording, instead of how a politician actually governs is asinine, you need to get real. Actions speak louder than words, yet you ignore actions and focus on words, if it means you can grasp at straws to attack a politician you don't like. 

You vastly overestimate the effect that Trumps tweets, speeches, insults and rallies have on how well he's doing his job, they are not an important factor whatsoever, and those who think they are a super important factor are Trump haters grasping at straws and clutching at pearls. Grow up.

Stop focusing on the words of politicians, they are intentionally designed to mislead. Look at the actions behind the words, not the tone, not the words, focus on the actions and their results, do not focus on the bullshit justifications that the politicians give to explain their actions because that is just telling people what they want hear.

Edited by Yzermandius19