Warning to All MLW Members - Fear and the Cronavirus

Guest ProudConservative

32 minutes ago, kactus said:

...  he wants people to catch to virus and become immune to the virus. The elderlies are vulnerable and will die in the process. My point is that whilst the objective is to flatten the curve a lot of of elderly people will lose their lives.

Yes - this is not a 'flatten the curve' approach. Flattening the curve means preventing it from spreading in the near term.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes - this is not a 'flatten the curve' approach. Flattening the curve means preventing it from spreading in the near term.

Thanks for clarifying. Still not sure how flattening the curve can be achieved when mass gatherings is not yet banned by the government in England. Surely that will not prevent it from spreading.

Edited by kactus

5 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

Wouldn't it be cheaper, for the world to make Hazmat suits than shut down the entire economy? Think about it. If they designed lean biosuits, that were comfortable to wear, people could go to work instead of panicking and staying home. People could get their groceries without coughing on each other. If someone is sick, and they cough inside their biosuit, it's no big deal.

Minimum wage is $14 an hour, so a $100 bio suit would pay for itself after 1 day

If the government nationalized some factories, or built new ones from scratch... we could supply every Canadian with a hazmat suit, for a pricetag of $35 billion dollars

That sounds like a lot, but if we get bio-terrorism in the future.... It's far cheaper than going into a recession.

You produce them, with massive economies of scale to bring the price down.

WTF, are you going on about, all this time you spend on here posting crap, is time you could be spending digging your bunker, or washing in bleach...not even sure what nut job media site is filling that brain of yours, Guys like you are responsible for all the panic thats going on today, empty stores, etc....over what a virous with maybe a 3.5 % kill rate...shit cancer kills well over 300,000 a year in north America, and no body even blinks...you need to get a grip on your life, and stop spreading fear....before you end up wearing a straight jacket or worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're slowing the spread so that there aren't spikes that the health system can't support.  It's not necessarily about stopping the spread, which is probably impossible until it runs its course.  It may mean widespread infection, which isn't so bad except for the vulnerable, which is why it's so important for those with compromised immune systems, particularly the elderly, to be vigilant about protecting themselves from infection.  We can try to prevent increases in the numbers of infections as much as possible, but if it comes at the cost of many businesses closing and personal bankruptcies, then it isn't worth it.  At that point we need to transition back to normal life with essential modifications.  Leaders need to lead and bring science-based reasonableness to mainstream media.  Nothing to fear but fear itself...

Edited by Zeitgeist

When I went to my local supermarket last Thursday and for some reason last Thursday was the day the majority of Finns realised it is time to get stocked up I noticed how the dry food shelves were completely empty and of course the shelves of toilet paper.

However, the shelves of beer were full of the stuff, which really is a worrying sign. People are actually terrified. When people are terrified food is important and beer isn't.

Panic+ignorance is a combination that has caused mayhem for the government.

Well, when you have a government that states we have the worst health crisis for generation and you are going to lose families and loved ones and on the same statement mention and by the way we are not banning school closures and mass gatherings do not get surprised when football bosses make their own decisions to postpone/ cancel  matches. People get panicked and swamp supermarkets stockpile on staple food, toilet papers to the point of rationing.

5 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

You need to think before you speak as well. 7% of the worlds closed cases, have resulted in death. That means that 7% of the people who test positive, end up dying. What will the fatality rate be, when we run out of hospitals. It could be 15% or higher.

I guess it's cheaper to watch the old people die, than spend $100 on a hazmat suit, so they can get groceries. No need to pay your pensions.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus

I don’t think it means that at all. 

4 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

When I went to my local supermarket last Thursday and for some reason last Thursday was the day the majority of Finns realised it is time to get stocked up I noticed how the dry food shelves were completely empty and of course the shelves of toilet paper.

However, the shelves of beer were full of the stuff, which really is a worrying sign. People are actually terrified. When people are terrified food is important and beer isn't.

Governments and health agencies need to manage fear as much as or more than the virus.  Many people are living with a kind of shell shock resulting from the abrupt closures and advisories, yet really, what has changed?  We have a 142 cases in Ontario (five of those recovered).  We are reacting to the reactions to the virus.  People's fears are rising more rapidly than the numbers.  If we multiply those numbers by a 1000, that's a lot more people, yet still only 1/100 of the Ontario population, and 2-4% of infected people die.  I think it would be fewer in our more controlled approach.  Let's suppose unrealistically that all 14.5 million Ontarians get the virus, the worst-case scenario.  That would mean a half a million dead IF our health care system could not support those vulnerable infected patients.  If the spread is slowed, it's unlikely that we can't support those who need the care.  It's certainly unlikely that everyone gets the virus.  It's also highly unlikely that everyone who gets it experiences symptoms.  So, take the prescribed precautions and let's think about managing this well, including transitioning out of the closures.

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

The sun is shining and it's dead quiet, lovely day

Bought low, sold high, fully stocked up before the panic hit

Just chillin' on my patio now, cleaning my Military Style Assault Weapons ; suck it, Zeitgeist.

I bought roses to put in the barrels of your guns and a big bag of pot.  Very productive sunny day.

• Like 1

Now, with the end of the longest bull market in history, is the time where we can just kick back and count our money

Thanks to the Telsa bump alone, +400% in a single quarter,  I can now buy my tri-motor Tesla Cybertruck without my wife giving me static about it

800 hp - 1000 lb ft - 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

50 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Now, with the end of the longest bull market in history, is the time where we can just kick back and count our money

Thanks to the Telsa bump alone, +400% in a single quarter,  I can now buy my tri-motor Tesla Cybertruck without my wife giving me static about it

800 hp - 1000 lb ft - 0-60 in 2.9 seconds

Wicked.  They're building out of this world stuff, literally rockets.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Post Apocalyptic War Trucks to carry our Military Style Assault Weapons :thumbs up:

Great, so now the gun-lovin' survivalists will be coming out of the woodwork providing unsolicited advice.  I can't wait.  Might elect to take a bullet in the first round of the purge to avoid the convos.

• Haha 1

More bad news for the geezer class:

The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”

www.theatlantic.com

What You Need to Know About the Coronavirus

The Atlantic’s guide to navigating a global pandemic
www.theatlantic.com www.theatlantic.com

58 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

More bad news for the geezer class:

You are scaring this geezer now.  This may bring on a heart attack. :lol:  So, anyone you know get the dreaded virus yet? Just asking. 

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Great, so now the gun-lovin' survivalists will be coming out of the woodwork providing unsolicited advice.  I can't wait.  Might elect to take a bullet in the first round of the purge to avoid the convos.

Hey, those survivalists will be better prepared and no doubt getting ready for those nutty people in a fear panic mode over this virus who when there is no food left in the store shelves may then come after them because they will know how to fight and obtain food with a gun to survive. They know that one cannot live on toilet paper.  I worry more about taking a bullet than getting this flu virus. The elite are playing this flu virus game really well,  and the sheeple eat it all up like candy.  What a sham this all really is. ;)

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Is this going to happen every year now when the next flu virus hits the world? That one could be even worse. Maybe total lock down next year. Hey, you never know, eh?  Ha-ha. 

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Exactly.  They are taking a different approach.

So is Alberta.

:blink:

https://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/news/local-news/province-says-schools-wouldnt-reopen-until-at-least-september-if-closed/wcm/097019f1-f5ae-48d9-af56-b27e69240e6e

"Alberta’s top doctor is standing by her call not to close the province’s kindergarten-to-Grade 12 schools."

Oh! Education minister announced closure... hmm 

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/covid-coronavirus-update-hinshaw-alberta-edmonton-1.5498467

Edited by jacee

23 minutes ago, jacee said:

So is Alberta.

:blink:

https://www.dailyheraldtribune.com/news/local-news/province-says-schools-wouldnt-reopen-until-at-least-september-if-closed/wcm/097019f1-f5ae-48d9-af56-b27e69240e6e

"Alberta’s top doctor is standing by her call not to close the province’s kindergarten-to-Grade 12 schools."

We have a comparison of the curves now. 

And maybe cancel inter-provincial travel? 

Why not just shut the whole bloody place down and be done with it.  There, we now have solved the problem of spreading the flu virus around and all of us should be safe from catching this flu bug.   Gawd, you are a genius, taxme.   ;)

Edited by taxme