Pipeline protestors need to be jailed

Argus

10 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Yeah, they just randomly strung letters together to make the Straights of Juan de Fuca.

No there's clearly a systematic order to the placing of these letters. Nuu Chah Nulth add upside down question marks and backward numbers to denote the guttural sounds used in their language. 

On 2/28/2020 at 10:30 PM, cougar said:

Supporting oil and gas is supporting these guys:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/greta-thunberg-xsite-energy-sexual-image-1.5478561

Rapists of the environment and rapists of children.  They do not even hide it but present it in "art" and are proud of it.

Now an oil service company in Red Deer raped Greta?????   Geez, the guy must have had some long schlong to reach across and ocean.

Whatever Greta gets, Greta's parents and backers asked to receive.   Putting a child on stage to parrot endless BS is absolutely going to get a reaction, and they got it.  They did nothing to harm the kid, they were just behaving like boorish rednecks.

Supporting someone who illegally blockades railroads is not offensive, it is illegal - so I guess we know what your values are.

Just now, eyeball said:

No there's clearly a systematic order to the placing of these letters. Nuu Chah Nulth add upside down question marks and backward numbers to denote the guttural sounds used in their language. 

We're all free to pretend that without the British presence in this region that there'd have been nothing but peace, peace and more peace.

However, this was typical...not unique...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Sitka

Result: Decisive Russian victory

BC got off lucky compared to 99% of those stone age civilizations that encountered Europeans for the first time. Especially those that encountered the Spanish, Russians and/or Americans post-Civil War. 

8 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

BC got off lucky compared to 99% of those stone age civilizations that encountered Europeans for the first time. Especially those that encountered the Spanish, Russians and/or Americans post-Civil War.

What's especially lucky for BC is how Canada's legal systems evolved in a way that made reconciling what Canadians were responsible for possible.

That's why we call it progress you see.

Edited by eyeball

Just now, eyeball said:

What's especially lucky for BC is how Canada's legal systems evolved in a way that made reconciling what Canadians were responsible for possible.

That's why we call it progress you see.

That's why bands have elections. Instead, we'd rather listen to the unelected...but esteemed nobility class and their uninformed supporters to get things not done. 

Who needs oil & natural gas anyways? Not you...you have solar powered everything that functions on cloudy days and in December.

:D

29 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Now an oil service company in Red Deer raped Greta?????   Geez, the guy must have had some long schlong to reach across and ocean.

Whatever Greta gets, Greta's parents and backers asked to receive.   Putting a child on stage to parrot endless BS is absolutely going to get a reaction, and they got it.  They did nothing to harm the kid, they were just behaving like boorish rednecks.

Supporting someone who illegally blockades railroads is not offensive, it is illegal - so I guess we know what your values are.

Call them rednecks, canucks, whatever.  Clearly they displayed what was on their minds, which was raping the girl.  Then they were sick and stupid enough to make a decal out of it.  It shows you it wasn't a single person who is sick, but at least a bunch of them.

As to the blockades, I find them appropriate, considering the group involved opposed the pipeline, but its territory was invaded by construction workers and the RCMP regardless.

Edited by cougar

19 hours ago, mowich said:

I'll hold off condemning anyone for this until the RCMP have finished investigating.  Both the company and the printer stated they had no hand in the decals.  Until further notice, I take them at their word because in the current anti-oil/pipeline climate, I would not put it above someone on that side of the debate to be responsible in order to stir up yet more controversy.  Just sayin'.

Did you miss this part while reading:

"Michelle Narang of Rocky Mountain House, Alta., first posted the graphic on her Facebook page Wednesday evening. She said a friend who works in the oil and gas industry texted her a photo of the decal and told her an X-Site employee had been handing them out"

Why do you think and X-Site employee will be handing those out, if it had nothing to do with them and they knew nothing about it?

Just now, eyeball said:

I support the law but not if it's ignobel.

Ignoble? The various bands voted for the natural gas pipeline.

Seems you actually support the nobility...who are apparently not getting their cut of the action in order to be this upset.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

You have the original documents that made the Indigenous surrender of their lands official?  Canada is going to be so relieved they've been found.

You didn’t need any documents to conquer land back in the day.  Just force.

Just now, DogOnPorch said:

Yes, various bands, but not "the various bands".  As we can see some were against it, or we would not be seeing this level of opposition.

Think about this.   I am against each and every pipeline, mine or road built into the wilderness.  Does anyone know about it or cares about it? No.  I just do not matter.    If you have hundreds of thousands in opposition, then you can see a few dozen actually doing something noticeable.

Just now, Shady said:

We didn't even do that in the interior of BC.

The Hudson Bay Company arrived and set-up shop in the interior. This allowed the various tribes wandering the region to settle down and start the very lucrative fur trapping industry. It sure beat being the slave to some Haida warlord. 

3 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

So what, they're not the issue here.

Seems you actually support the nobility...who are apparently not getting their cut of the action in order to be this upset.

Yes but you also say I support Nazi's, commies, terrorists, Islam, having you killed etc etc.  It's a little silly listening to what you think people support which is usually not your view of things that's for sure. 

1 minute ago, cougar said:

Yes, various bands, but not "the various bands".  As we can see some were against it, or we would not be seeing this level of opposition.

Think about this.   I am against each and every pipeline, mine or road built into the wilderness.  Does anyone know about it or cares about it? No.  I just do not matter.    If you have hundreds of thousands in opposition, then you can see a few dozen actually doing something noticeable.

My understanding is that this is a difference between what the elected leaders want and what tribal nobility want...which means the 'elders' and 'chiefs' aren't getting their usual licence to pillage the cookie jar...thus the protests...and many protesters are clueless idiots that think the pipeline will contain bitumen or crude oil...and that the tribal nobility are indeed noble.

As the saying around here goes...you've got the Hell's Angels...we have Chiefs.

35 minutes ago, Shady said:

Not actually the case, from 1648 on the Treaty of Westphalia asserted the rights and prerogatives of hereditary sovereigns.

The basis of Canadian constitutional law was a peace treaty as well, Treaty of Paris 1763, India and Canada join the British Empire on the same day,  10 February

Total war of annihilation is actually a relatively recent development, product of the Industrial Age.

Edited by Dougie93

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So what, they're not the issue here.

Yes but you also say I support Nazi's, commies, terrorists, Islam, having you killed etc etc.  It's a little silly listening to what you think people support which is usually not your view of things that's for sure. 

Sure they are...they were elected to lead. Which means to me most of said bands were upset by the constant Medieval looting by the Chiefs.

Here’s reality: If the will of the elected chiefs and the majority of unelected hereditary chiefs is ignored and the voices of a loud, small group of protesters who have sabotaged the work of business and governments to the tune of 100’s of millions of dollars is allowed to stop economic development in both Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities, there will be no economic development.

Eventually it won’t just be the lack of jobs and inability of these regions to become self-sustaining that will be the issue.  The total amount of tax revenue that bands receive and the standards of living, Indigenous and non-Indigenous, will decline. At that point where will reconciliation stand?   How sympathetic will the wider Canadian public be?  How cohesive will more desperate Indigenous communities be?

Reconciliation requires honesty, not just about the history that proves continuous exclusive occupation by one group and its attendant rights under current law, but what the laws themselves determine about opportunity and independence.  The laws also require amendment, and probably not in a way that encourages continued financial dependence.  

As for past injustices, these aren’t easily established, but where traceable injustice exists that would have a substantive impact on people within said group today, we can talk about reparations.  However, making today’s citizens responsible for injustices committed a century or more ago isn’t fair either.  I don’t expect the descendants of United Empire Loyalists to collect payments for the land their ancestors had to abandon in the US when they fled to Canada.  There has to be a statute of limitations.  

Nevertheless, taxpayers have paid out Indigenous for residential schools.  Abuses existed in all schools decades ago.  If you wanted an education a century ago, it was the religious institutions running many of them.  There were no Indigenous schools because those groups didn’t make provision for it.  Even today, if you come from a remote, small Indigenous community, you will have to live elsewhere to attend high school.  Sure, now it may be Indigenous run, but that doesn’t mean the substance abuse and suicides have stopped, nor can those problems be blamed solely on racism.  

I appreciate cultural exchange and I think we have things to learn from Indigenous as from all cultures.  If you want real reconciliation, we have to have honest conversation.  We have a common interest: sustainable development and economic prosperity.  We can’t let radicals who may not even have Indigenous interests at heart hijack discussions and the economy.  To me the biggest worry about all of the protest and shutting down of the economy is the economic price people are paying, and you can bet that price will be especially high for Indigenous.  

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DogOnPorch said:

Sure they are...they were elected to lead.

They were imposed to facilitate their assimilation....our laws don't allow that anymore especially here in BC.

Which means to me most of said bands were upset by the constant Medieval looting by the Chiefs.

Then you'll be happy to know that UNDRIP gives Indigenous people the means to reconcile their differences.  Given the existence of things like the Assembly of First Chiefs they've made a lot of progress in that direction already.  

Edited by eyeball

On 2/29/2020 at 12:07 PM, cannuck said:

2.  They have been under the Indian Act that was administered by Indian Affairs.   That makes the term I have used for the last 70 years and will continue to use: "Indian".  If it offends your politicly correct virtue signalling, so be it.  If some Indians want to be treated respectfully, they will need to earn that right be conducting themselves respectfully, and that is NOT what the Indians involved are doing.

3.  As has been clearly pointed out to you, they stopped trying two years ago.  There is no right or privilege afforded to Indians, Whites, Greens, Browns or WTF other to do what they have done for ANY reason whatsoever.   What I can credit them with is pointing out clearly to Canadians that there is no rule of law in this country for those who are privileged by the PCVS crowd to be allowed to endlessly live outside of said rule of law.

4.  It "worked"????   It worked to show Canadians who bother to take notice that the whole situation is completely out of hand and MUST be rectified - and not by giving any special allowance to some very small minority who don't like the ruling of the courts nor have any respect at all for the laws of this land (that includes these few "hereditary chiefs" and the compete frigging morons who currently occupy cabinet seats.

2 Your disrespect makes you part of the problem, not the solutions.

3 Nonsense. The Wet'suet'en Nation Council was still trying to get BC Premier Horgan to the table January 20, 2020, prior to the Feb 6 RCMP raid. He refused again. 

4 It worked to get governments to the table, where both should have been long ago. 

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Misunderstanding abounds alright.  I guess I was alluding to what I've seen of the federal NDP's performance.

The federal NDP does not like or approve of Canada nor Canadians in general. They are perfectly happy to see it break up into separate provinces and territories, and would likely not see any issue with giving the natives their complete independence along with a sizeable monetary commitment just to ease their (the NDP's) desperate self-hate and hand-wringing guilt. The NDP has turned into a race-based victims-rights organization where the victims are arranged in a hierarchy of oppression, and the ultimate enemy are all white people who don't have an identity to claim they're being oppressed. A party which was once the representative of the farmer and working man now sneers at and disdains them for their lack of sophistication and cultural enlightenment. The party now finds it support among ivory tower academics and the petty bourgeois.