Should Canada Continue to Allow Full-Term Abortion?

Should Canada Continue to Allow Abortion at Full Term (Up to 9 months Pregnant)?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are currently zero restrictions on when an abortion can take place in Canada, including up to the expected birth date.  Most countries/states set the limit as the first trimester (first three months), or at the very least, the week beyond which the fetus could survive outside the womb (viability).  In Canada a woman can have a fetus destroyed one day before the expected date of birth, a viable baby that would survive outside of the mother. 

https://nationalpost.com/news/as-abortion-debate-becomes-increasingly-polarized-poll-shows-the-views-of-many-canadians-are-more-complicated

Edited by Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

In Canada a woman can have a fetus destroyed one day before the expected date of birth, a viable baby that would survive outside of the mother. 

So, a woman is going to endure 9 months of pregnancy, only to decide at the last possible moment "No"?  Seems exceedingly unlikely, as in never gonna happen.  In fact, its a pretty misogynistic idea that women are interested in having healthy and viable fetuses aborted within a few weeks of their due date.  

Maybe do some research on why women have abortions, and when, before making stupidly misogynistic posts that essentially accuse women (and their doctors) of being casual murderers. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dialamah said:

So, a woman is going to endure 9 months of pregnancy, only to decide at the last possible moment "No"?  Seems exceedingly unlikely, as in never gonna happen.  In fact, its a pretty misogynistic idea that women are interested in having healthy and viable fetuses aborted within a few weeks of their due date.  

Maybe do some research on why women have abortions, and when, before making stupidly misogynistic posts that essentially accuse women (and their doctors) of being casual murderers. 

To abort a baby that is especially so close to birth is just plain murder. If anyone has ever watched an abortion take place and watch as an abortion doctor starts to take apart an unborn fetus in the womb they would never want to support abortion again. I watched as an abortion was taking place on a fetus and it was not a very pleasant thing to see. I watched as the fetus was being torn apart piece by piece and actually fighting for it's life. I can see that maybe in the first few weeks an abortion can take place,, but not very much time after that. A doctor takes an oath to save life. Those doctors that do take an unborn baby's life in the womb should not be called a doctor at all. A butcher doctor would be more appropriate to call them. :(

3 hours ago, dialamah said:

Who hurt you?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Who hurt you?

People who suggest women having nearly full-term abortions are doing so for no better reason than they changed their mind about having a baby at 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 months along.  It's a ridiculous assumption and anyone who thinks that clearly has no regard or respect for women generally.

9 minutes ago, dialamah said:

People who suggest women having nearly full-term abortions are doing so for no better reason than they changed their mind about having a baby at 6 or 7 or 8 or 9 months along.  It's a ridiculous assumption and anyone who thinks that clearly has no regard or respect for women generally.

What?  Men and women come in all form of morality.  Why are you generalizing?  Are you trying to say that all women are always ethical?   It’s just as ridiculous to say the same of men.  If you can justify the legal termination of a pregnancy within days of the expected date of birth, that’s all I need to know about you.  The poll doesn’t ask whether you think abortion should remain legal, but whether there should be a legal limit to stage of pregnancy.  Have some perspective.  

Here are the stats on rate of abortion by gestation stage:

https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/backrounders/statistics-abortion-in-canada.pdf

https://abort73.com/abortion_facts/canadian_abortion_statistics/

Z am I wrong..I get the idea from your thread you believe that because an abortion is no longer a criminal offence,  late term pregnancies are simply a matter of asking for one. Its not the case at all:

https://maggiegordon.wordpress.com/2011/08/11/gestational-limits-on-abortion-in-canada-disproving-anti-choice-rhetoric/

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

We need something on the books.  Canada’s abortion laws might as well be China’s. 

Yep.  Full term abortions are an abomination and are tantamount to murder.  Anyone that supports this practice is a supporter of infantice.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

We need something on the books.  Canada’s abortion laws might as well be China’s. 

It's a non-existent problem.  Why make a law to address a problem that doesn't exist?  Late-term abortions, on the extremely rare occasions they happen, are because the baby is already dead or will not survive being born by more than a few minutes.

Anyway, if any of you had read Rue's links, you'd realize that women in Canada who want abortions after 24 weeks often have to go to the States because most of our medical institutions will not do them past the second trimester.

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

It's a non-existent problem.  Why make a law to address a problem that doesn't exist?  Late-term abortions, on the extremely rare occasions they happen, are because the baby is already dead or will not survive being born by more than a few minutes.

Anyway, if any of you had read Rue's links, you'd realize that women in Canada who want abortions after 24 weeks often have to go to the States because most of our medical institutions will not do them past the second trimester.

Serial killing also represents a small percentage of overall homicides.  Nevertheless, serial killing should remain illegal.  

No abortion should be allowed only when it is a fetus which scientifically proven to be the first few months and must NOT be allowed the last 3 months of pregnancy. It is a women's choice up to a point. If the women cannot make up her mind till the final 3 months when the fetus is a living baby with heartbeat then it is not her body anymore to have a control over. It is a separate entity in her body and someone else's body and life. Her baby.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Late term abortions are almost non-existent.  Serial killers are not.

If they’re almost non-existent than it won’t be a big deal making them illegal then.  There can always be an exception made for the life of the mother.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Shady said:

If they’re almost non-existent than it won’t be a big deal making them illegal then.  There can always be an exception made for the life of the mother.  

Do you consider yourself "conservative", and in favor of "smaller government" and "less government interference"?   If so, why would you support a law that will cost money to implement and isn't even needed?   Even if you aren't a conservative, why would you support implementing a useless law?  

But hey, you guys can go ahead and assume women are murderers and need more 'laws' to control them, I don't care.  Thank goodness for our liberal, progressive and feminist government; you religious fanatics can go suck rocks.

Edited by dialamah

7 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Do you consider yourself "conservative", and in favor of "smaller government" and "less government interference"?   If so, why would you support a law that will cost money to implement and isn't even needed?   Even if you aren't a conservative, why would you support implementing a useless law?  

But hey, you guys can go ahead and assume women are murderers and need more 'laws' to control them, I don't care.  Thank goodness for our liberal, progressive and feminist government; you religious fanatics can go suck rocks.

Trudeau won’t allow anyone who opposes abortion in the Liberal party.  His government has even required pro choice support on applications for student summer jobs.  

2 hours ago, dialamah said:

The last thing I am is religious or worse fanatic. I am also as per my posts a very strong Liberal supporter.  Though I am also a very reasonable person while I believe in total Women's rights, freedom of choice and equality and very hard campaigning for all them especially in regions where a certain religion suppresses them however, it is not part of a women's right to control the life and death of an entity which is no longer a part of her body. This is scientifically proven that in the last 3 months of a women's pregnancy the fetus is now a baby with a heart beat and a separate entity than a women;s body. It is NOT a women's right to kill a baby just because it happens to be in her body anymore than it is her right to kill that baby after she was born.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

1 hour ago, dialamah said:

You’re argument against such a law makes no sense at all.  You can’t argue against the merit of the law, so you’ve moved on to the supposed cost.  How could the cost be very high if it barely ever happens?  Besides, any minimal cost would be worth ensuring that this brutal act never takes place unless it’s absolutely necessary.  I’ve heard of gun nuts before.  But I’ve never heard of abortion nuts, until now.  You’re an abortion nut.  Against any common sense abortion law.  I don’t understand why.

I don’t oppose late term abortion based on religion.  I’m not a religious person.  I oppose it based on science.  You’re immediate knee jerk religious reaction tells me you’re not used to examining the issue with any scientific eye.  You’re just used to name calling.  That’s very sad.

Edited by Shady

19 hours ago, dialamah said:

According to the source document below there are women who abort after 21 weeks in fact they number more than  1000, and of those the majority are due to no complication at all. Even if just one was aborted that would make your statement false but here we have more than a thousand....

Abortion clinics that are not affiliated with a hospital do not perform abortions past 21 weeks (often stated as 23 weeks from last menstrual period, “LMP”). About one-third of reporting hospitals don’t report details on gestational ages, presumably all in Quebec, but we can assume that the proportion of 21+ week abortions are similar for that one-third. Therefore, taking into account the total estimated numbers of abortions for 2018:  85,795*– the estimated percentage of abortions at 21+ weeks including Quebec is one percent (659 + 220 for Quebec = 879 abortions at 21+ weeks). 
(If we add a rough estimate of about 150 women a year travelling to the U.S. for an abortion at 21+ weeks, that changes the percentage to 1.16%. This estimate is based on about 25 women a year from Ontario who are funded to go down to the U.S., adding in estimated numbers for women across Canada, whether funded privately or by government.) 
* Adding in estimated missing 2018 numbers from New Brunswick: 600, based on past numbers and email communication with the clinic. 

https://www.arcc-cdac.ca/backrounders/statistics-abortion-in-canada.pdf

https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/proof-of-third-trimester-abortions-in-canada

Edited by Army Guy

Guest ProudConservative

I don't think any abortions should be allowyed beyond the first trimester, unless the health of the mother is at risk... Even then... I was the procedure to be painless for the baby... Like having a needle injected to put the fetus to sleep.

I'm generally against abortions, but i'm not an extream conversative on the issue.

I think more compansion should be shown towards women who have been raped, and want an abortion. But I would encourage those women to make up their mind in a week, not wait a few months to think about it.

I have no compasion for being who think an abortion is an altnerative to practising safe-sex. I had a friend who said... my GF doesn't like condoms, and she doesn't enjoy birth control... so I just do the pull-out method... and we have a mutual agreement, that she must have an abortion, If she gets pregnant by accident.

This is how many mellenials think.

Edited by ProudConservative

Not only should it be legal to have an abortion in the 3rd trimester, but it should be legal for a transman to choose to abort a designer-baby fetus in a private clinic and then sell the fetus to buy crack cocaine!

I am very very pro-freedom and pro-choice.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

23 minutes ago, -1=e^ipi said:

Not only should it be legal to have an abortion in the 3rd trimester, but it should be legal for a transman to choose to abort a designer-baby fetus in a private clinic and then sell the fetus to by crack cocaine!

I am very very pro-freedom and pro-choice.

Your views are scary and homicidal.  Nevertheless, you’re not the only one who has them.  Dialamah is comparably disturbed.