Do You Believe in Man-Made Climate Change?

Guest ProudConservative

Guest ProudConservative

I'm starting to doubt that climate change is a hoax. We have had an usually warm winter in Kitchener, where many day's are above freezing. Although, I enjoy being able to walk outside without shivering, this is the dead of winter, and 75% of the time, it should be below freezing. I would like to contrast to the January averages from previous years

I use to build snowmans as a kid, and every winter we would get 10 to 15 days in a row, that were below freezing. Now, were lucky to have more than 4 days below freezing.

Source

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/canada/kitchener/historic

Kitchener

January 2010

High & Low Weather Summary for January 2010

Temperature Humidity Pressure
High 5 °C (Jan 25, 12:04 am) 100% (Jan 10, 7:00 am) 103.04 kPa (Jan 10, 7:00 am)
Low -21 °C (Jan 30, 7:00 am) 45% (Jan 30, 2:00 pm) 98.58 kPa (Jan 25, 9:05 am)
Average -6 °C 82% 101.59 kPa

January 2011

High & Low Weather Summary for January 2011

High 11 °C (Jan 1, 2:58 pm) 100% (Jan 1, 10:08 am) 103.61 kPa (Jan 1, 10:08 am)
Low -24 °C (Jan 24, 6:00 am) 43% (Jan 31, 12:00 pm) 99.31 kPa (Jan 6, 10:57 pm)
Average -8 °C 84% 101.51 kPa

January 2020

High & Low Weather Summary for January 2020

High 11 °C (Jan 11, 7:06 am) 100% (Jan 4, 5:21 am) 104.56 kPa (Jan 4, 5:21 am)
Low -18 °C (Jan 20, 4:02 am) 56% (Jan 23, 4:00 pm) 99.89 kPa (Jan 18, 6:24 pm)
Average -2 °C 85% 101.82 kPa

What are you thoughts? Do you remember having colder winters as a child?

Edited by ProudConservative

Guest ProudConservative
11 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

You should tell the IPCC!  They'll be so pleased.

I definetly there're opportunist who will use climate change as an excuse for government control, but i'm starting to doubt that climate change isn't real. Toronto is feeling about 5 degree warming than most winters. You can't build things out of snow, or they will melt.

2 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I definetly there're opportunist who will use climate change as an excuse for government control, but i'm starting to doubt that climate change isn't real. Toronto is feeling about 5 degree warming than most winters. You can't build things out of snow, or they will melt.

/facepalm

It's great to see you're finally all woke up and everything but people attempting to actually do something about climate change probably don't need your help trying to highlight the issue okay.

Guest ProudConservative
11 minutes ago, eyeball said:

/facepalm

It's great to see you're finally all woke up and everything but people attempting to actually do something about climate change probably don't need your help trying to highlight the issue okay.

I think people were sick and tired of environmentalists only talking about climate change, instead of talking about chemicals and pollution. Environmentalist would get more sympathy, if they stopped calling people scum for driving SUV's.

Regardless... I can only talk about what I see, and it's very hard for people to deny... that this has been a warm winter. We don't have El Nino, so why is Toronto getting more days above freezing than below?

When I was a kid... we would get would average around -10 in January, so what gives?

Guest ProudConservative

I wanna go snowmobiling and there is hardly anything on the ground, and the lakes arn't safe. I don't mind a warm sping.... but this is January... bring the snow!

12 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I wanna go snowmobiling and there is hardly anything on the ground, and the lakes arn't safe. I don't mind a warm sping.... but this is January... bring the snow!

One winter in one region no matter how cold or warm isn't going to tell you if climate change is happening or not. You have to look at longterm trends over many years.

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 8:49 PM, eyeball said:

/facepalm

you mean like the crises in 2000 with all the computers going to crash at midnight, and shut everything down for years..... how many bils did we spend on that farce...how many bils did the corporate dipshits make on our stupidity. all back up by science was it not ? I don't see how we could not believe everything the UN or our government spew, do you...

26 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

you mean like the crises in 2000 with all the computers going to crash at midnight, and shut everything down for years..... how many bils did we spend on that farce...how many bils did the corporate dipshits make on our stupidity. all back up by science was it not ? I don't see how we could not believe everything the UN or our government spew, do you...

You haven't spent any time looking into it have you ?

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

You haven't spent any time looking into it have you ?

I assume your talking about climate change and not Y2K, you make it sound like the entire subject is black and white when for me and many others it is not the clear what side is talking out their ass.... media and others have clouded the waters by offering plausible other reasons, also proven by science. That and the fact that early on in this climate change battle we have people like Al  Gore theories clearly being debunked as well as his science behind it, creating more doubt ,Our government and the UN do not have a perfect record on the topic, so no I do not take all their info as gospel. ....So to answer your question I've put as much energy as the next guy, I by no means are an expert nor do I claim to have any answers, I do believe some where in the middle is the right answers...

• Like 1

On 1/26/2020 at 5:04 PM, ProudConservative said:

I'm starting to doubt that climate change is a hoax. We have had an usually warm winter in Kitchener, where many day's are above freezing.

First, weather is not climate.

Second, one data point is not a good sample.

Third, about 20,000 years ago, Kitchener was under about 2 kms of ice. (Google: Pleistocene.) 20,000 is irrelevant in earth's history.

Fourth, while CO2 is apparently rising in our atmosphere, and C02 is potentially a cause of  global warming (eg. Venus)  since alot of CO2 is sequestered in oceans,  we simply don't know how CO2 (a very minor part of Earth's atmosphere) is connected to temperature.

Fifth, NASA is sending many missions to Mars with the absurd belief that life is possible there. Given solar and galaxic radiation, life on Mars is impossible. Even travel to Mars is difficult. Rather, I reckon that we should be curious about why Venus (and Mars) cannot support life - this may help us understand how to sustain life here. Venus, in particular.

Lastly, for fun. We have been broadcasting intelligible radio signals for about 100 years, since 1910 or so. So, stars/suns within about 50 light years have had the time to receive our early radio signals and respond. How many stars like our Sun, potentially with planets, are within 50 light-years? Very few, a handful.

Edited by August1991

1 hour ago, August1991 said:

1. we simply don't know how CO2 (a very minor part of Earth's atmosphere) is connected to temperature.

2. We have been broadcasting intelligible radio signals for about 100 years, since 1910 or so. So, stars/suns within about 50 light years have had the time to receive our early radio signals and respond.  

1. Not true, unless you are liberal with what the word "know" means.  There are some examples where research is still being done with regards to climate and CO2 but the Greenhouse Effect can be reproduced in a LAB.  That's knowledge.  As to how it plays out in the atmosphere, the lead/lag effects of CO2 are fairly well known and Climate Scientists seem to argue about coefficients and temperature reconstructions for the most part.

2. Given that I could barely get Rochester with rabbit ears on my TV, the signal would be impossibly weak.  And how exactly to you expect an Alphi Centurian to respond to the two-part Laverne and Shirley episode where they go to the beach ?

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Not true, unless you are liberal with what the word "know" means.  There are some examples where research is still being done with regards to climate and CO2 but the Greenhouse Effect can be reproduced in a LAB.  That's knowledge.  As to how it plays out in the atmosphere, the lead/lag effects of CO2 are fairly well known and Climate Scientists seem to argue about coefficients and temperature reconstructions for the most part.

2. Given that I could barely get Rochester with rabbit ears on my TV, the signal would be impossibly weak.  And how exactly to you expect an Alphi Centurian to respond to the two-part Laverne and Shirley episode where they go to the beach ?

Apparently the first signals they will receive will be of Hitler at the Munich Olympics.  No wonder they are keeping the door shut and the curtains closed.

Edited by bcsapper

41 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Apparently the first signals they will receive will be of Hitler at the Munich Olympics.  No wonder they are keeping the door shut and the curtains closed.

Germany was the first  to broadcast a televised signal of the Olympics but it will be signals from the so-called border-blaster radio stations in Mexico that aliens will detect first. Some of these broadcast very strong signals - up to a 1,000,000 watts in one case.

Many of these were broadcasts from evangelists who were not allowed to use such powerful transmitters in the US. Probably just as good a reason to conclude there's no intelligent life here.

Radio XER & XERA The World's Most Powerful Broadcast Station

Edited by eyeball

On 1/29/2020 at 12:02 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Your answer is pretty vague.  

I think this video could be helpful.  Peter Hadfield is a science journalist who identifies with conservative ideology

It was helpful, But the inter net is full of videos on both side of the fence, each claimed to be made by doubters, scientists, believers and a dog named lassie. All of them have compelling augments, well with a few exceptions this topic does draw out a few wingnuts on both sides  ,easy to spot....... Al Gore being one of them, I can't count how many of his speeches of movies, books have been debunked by BOTH sides, and he is one of the many faces to climate change... or should I say one that is putting mud in the waters....The media is another player in this game, very few name brand media companies have printed unbiased reports on the subject, they are either for it or against it with both sides using credible sources... atleast in name brands ie NASA scientists, Climate experts, but what do I know I have no idea what is a good source or a bad source, So to say there is a lot of info out there , your right but what is the truth and what is misinformed....

I do believe that somehow our climate is being changed, or effected by people.... but I am in the middle of the fence right now. 

9 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well it is true they have done experiments in a lab and Co2 does hold more heat, that being said how do we account for Antarctica ice core samples have a much higher co2 readings at some points twice and 3 times current levels, with much  colder and much higher temperature ratings for different time periods.