Child obesity

Marocc

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Some communities lack true grocery stores within walking distance, and residents lack the financial means to take buses, gas, or drive. However, there are convenience stores and fast food restaurants nearby, so that is where they get their food. Obesity and malnutrition can exist in the same person.

Processed and convenience food manufacturers conduct extensive study to determine what ingredients will entice the brain to crave their products - the appropriate quantity of fat, sugar, and salt, crunchiness or meltiness, and so on. Addiction is based on real research.

Many people do know better and could do better in many circumstances. However, it is not the only factor leading to the growth in obesity in Western nations.

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2020 at 2:01 AM, Marocc said:

Typically parents are considered to be primarily responsible for that their child is at a healthy weight.

The parents are enormously affected by the medical care, the food industry, education and the media.

If the parents were not doing their job, who would be responsible in taking action?

If a child is overweight, how should a parent go about dealing with it in the correct manner?

See COVID deniers and ask them.

• 5 months later...

I consciously approached this issue when I was pregnant. Until the age of 7 my son didn`t eat sweets and fast food at all, and as a result he`s in great shape now - which isn`t the case with his classmates... so I think that, yes, parents are responsible for childhood obesity. How should a parent go about dealing with it? Of course sports and dietary adjustments. Yes, the child may not like it, but you should talk to him, try it first in the form of playful would you rather questions. Then gradually add vegetables and lean meat to the diet - just don`t change it drastically, it`ll lead to breakdowns.

Edited by Restaurateur

Oh for Gawd's sake this is simple.

Enrol the kids in sports or other such physical activities...do not fill the house with Mac and Cheese, hotdogs, chips and pop...when they're sitting around on a Saturday afternoon, kick them out to play.

Problem solved.

12 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Oh for Gawd's sake this is simple.

Enrol the kids in sports or other such physical activities...do not fill the house with Mac and Cheese, hotdogs, chips and pop...when they're sitting around on a Saturday afternoon, kick them out to play.

Problem solved.

Sports cost money.  Mac and cheese, hotdogs, chips and pop are cheaper than healthier options.  Poor people make choices based on how much money they have, and healthy food costs more.

Kicking them out to play is harder to do than it used to be because of news reports of kids being molested, kidnapped and killed.  

Parent's going out with kids to play with them is an option, but for some single parents holding down two jobs, probably not going to happen.

The real world doesn't live in the same world as the arrogant and dismissive elites do.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dialamah said:

Sports cost money.  Mac and cheese, hotdogs, chips and pop are cheaper than healthier options.  Poor people make choices based on how much money they have, and healthy food costs more.

Kicking them out to play is harder to do than it used to be because of news reports of kids being molested, kidnapped and killed.  

Parent's going out with kids to play with them is an option, but for some single parents holding down two jobs, probably not going to happen.

The real world doesn't live in the same world as the arrogant and dismissive elites do.

1. There are options. I coached minor hockey for years in my community. There were always kids whose parents or parent couldn't afford the fees. The teams and community worked with them to make the burden lesser.

2. School yards and parks are safe during the day.

3. Perhaps poor single woman should not have kids. Perhaps being responsible and having a family with a mom and dad would work out better.

4. Indeed. In the real world we've made the family unit marginalized. Gee...that was dumb. I wonder whose idea that was...

Edited by Nationalist

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Perhaps poor single woman should not have kids. Perhaps being responsible and having a family with a mom and dad would work out better.

Because life never happens and people never start in a good financial place and then lose that place.  Parents never desert their families, or die.  People never have good jobs and lose them through no fault of their own.

BTW, why did you assume that it's women who are single parents and that they would have  have kids irresponsibly?   Those assumptions, combined with conservative attitudes towards women who accidentally get pregnant and access abortions so they aren't having kids "irresponsibly" sure looks like misogyny.  I'll bet you also think that women who get raped need to be examined for fault in dress or location or behavior before the man can be held entirely responsible.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dialamah said:

Because life never happens and people never start in a good financial place and then lose that place.  Parents never desert their families, or die.  People never have good jobs and lose them through no fault of their own.

BTW, why did you assume that it's women who are single parents and that they would have  have kids irresponsibly?   Those assumptions, combined with conservative attitudes towards women who accidentally get pregnant and access abortions so they aren't having kids "irresponsibly" sure looks like misogyny.  I'll bet you also think that women who get raped need to be examined for fault in dress or location or behaviour before the man can be held entirely responsible.  

A "parent" never deserts his or her family. Those who do, should maybe be sterilized.

Hard times hit most people. I've had hard times and you probably have too. I did something about it and landed on my feet. I take responsibility for myself and my family.

I assume that because in the vast majority of cases, its women who bear the burden of the single parent. Too many men just bugger off and have no responsibility. This attitude is our own faults. We have normalized single parenthood and lack of the family unit. Its showing the corrosive effects it has over time.

As for your "misogyny" and "rape" sentiments...you'd lose both bets.

But have a warm and fuzzy day anyway...

22 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I assume that because in the vast majority of cases, its women who bear the burden of the single parent. Too many men just bugger off and have no responsibility.

I didn't know this about Canada until I met and became good friends with a single mom whose hubby buggered off to Quebec to avoid child support payments because Quebec doesn't enforce them for the rest of Canada.  I learned it's actually a big problem - men buggering off to Quebec to abandon their kids and responsibilities.

3 hours ago, Goddess said:

I didn't know this about Canada until I met and became good friends with a single mom whose hubby buggered off to Quebec to avoid child support payments because Quebec doesn't enforce them for the rest of Canada.  I learned it's actually a big problem - men buggering off to Quebec to abandon their kids and responsibilities.

A product of liberal policies and thinking, I'm afraid. Respect, honour and family have all been eroded by the liberal mind.

Its sad to watch.

Edited by Nationalist

On 7/7/2022 at 10:52 AM, Nationalist said:

As for your "misogyny" and "rape" sentiments...you'd lose both bets.

Yet you assumed single parents were female and entirely at fault for being poor with children. "Perhaps poor single woman should not have kids. Perhaps being responsible and having a family with a mom and dad would work out better."

Actions speak louder than words.

9 hours ago, dialamah said:

Yet you assumed single parents were female and entirely at fault for being poor with children. "Perhaps poor single woman should not have kids. Perhaps being responsible and having a family with a mom and dad would work out better."

Actions speak louder than words.

Don't be silly. Women carry the honour and burden of child birth. It's their bodies that become the incubators for babies. Thus, unfortunately, it falls on women to be responsible with their baby making machines. 

Men need to be more responsible too. We need to be aware of the risks of unprotected sex and be responsible for the lives we help create.

I had a rather randy time as a young man. My brother too. My wife too. But we played responsibly and had kids when we were ready to have families. Today my kids have that responsibility and they have so far taken it seriously. 

I guess that's because their mom and dad...taught them to be responsible. 

On 7/1/2022 at 8:40 AM, Luz P. said:

Another point to consider is economics.  Fast/Junk food is cheaper than healthier options, espcially if we're talking organic.

I wager most obese people aren't rich.

74 - Food.jpg

Corn Flakes $8 a box, Frosted Flakes, Froot Loops etc. always on sale for $3 or $4. 2L pop - under $2, Healthy Choice Diet Bottled Tap Water $4 for 593ml. You're on the right track.

Today the supermarket had 4 large candy bars for the price of a box of Rice Krispies & Frosted Flakes for less than 2lbs of apples.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/25/2020 at 1:01 AM, Marocc said:

Typically parents are considered to be primarily responsible for that their child is at a healthy weight.

The parents are enormously affected by the medical care, the food industry, education and the media.

If the parents were not doing their job, who would be responsible in taking action?

If a child is overweight, how should a parent go about dealing with it in the correct manner?

Many people are overweight.  Maybe the children to some degree are just following their parent's example.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...