The 2010s... How will they be remembered?

DrYouth

The Global Financial Crisis led to the Occupy Movement...

The Arab Spring sprung and fizzled.... The Syrian Conflict

The rise (and fall) of ISIS

The rise of China... Russia asserts itself

Smart phone dominance - Social Media - The Rise of FANG - Facebook. Apple, Netflix, Google

The Surveillance Society - Wikileaks - The whistleblowers

The challenge to Globalism - the rise of Populism

Trump / Brexit... and the Culture Wars

What do you all say?

• Like 1

Any thoughts on what might transpire next decade...

We can look back in 10 years and see whether we were anywhere close.

Will driverless vehicles finally arrive?

Will virtual reality make an impact? Will it outcompete real reality?

Will Global Warming start to have serious impacts?

Will the middle east sort itself out or continue it's clusterfucking ways?

Will the social impact of automation +/- the impacts of climate change stir social unrest?

Will the retreat from globalization into nationalism continue or will the pendulum swing back?

Will China continue its ascent?

Will US hegemony continue relatively unchallenged for yet another decade?

I see a swing to the hard left - economically.  There will be a global financial crises when the immense US debt finally crashes out and confidence in the currency is reduced.  At that point, the people will vote to default on obligations and tax wealth.

I'm about 5% sure this is happen, but that's about as good as you can do when predicting right ?  :lol:

The 2010s... How will they be remembered?

By rights they should mark the beginning of a period of ascendant respectability for dictatorships and autocracy.

Our grandparents devoted some 25% of their economy's GDP to fight tyranny and I think they'd be appalled at how much our economy now depends on doing business with it. 

22 hours ago, eyeball said:

By rights they should mark the beginning of a period of ascendant respectability for dictatorships and autocracy.

Our grandparents devoted some 25% of their economy's GDP to fight tyranny and I think they'd be appalled at how much our economy now depends on doing business with it. 

Our grandparents generation fought with tyrants and depended on doing business with them, they weren't that appalled. Joseph Stalin knows. You are projecting your own virtue signalling on past generations, try speaking for yourself instead of putting words in other people's mouth.

Edited by Yzermandius19

• 7 months later...

It will be remembered as the start of the paradigm shift from capitalism to network society. The big scarcity isn't capital anymore, it's attention. Attention can't be artificially inflated beyond what can be achieved with some multitasking. Whoever grabs the most attention controls the world.

Those who think the social medias are for free and willingly give it their attention without compensation are the new underclass, the consumertariat. They only consume information and products placed before them by the algorithms.

At the top we have the netocrats. The people who have the attention of the most others. The Internet is the network that connects everybody in the world.

The MSM will continue to decline just like the landed gentry did during the industrial revolution. So will academia like the church did in that time.

Government income will be less than before due to the mobility of capital and people not working as much as before, and their failure to tax the gig and sharing economy. That will enforce the decline in relevance of traditional political power that is already under pressure from the fact that the support systems of academia and media are failing.

The 2010s will be remembered as part of the last stable period when we could get the benefits of the new technology while still having the stability of the old paradigm. The coming decades will be a bumpy road when the old elites will struggle to retain some of their power.

Hyper biased news, ideological dogma in academia and populism in politics will just increase and it all started in the 2010s.

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 3:25 AM, Hastur said:

Hyper biased news, ideological dogma in academia and populism in politics will just increase and it all started in the 2010s.

It's not badly written but it is an oversimplification and maybe too much emphasis on things being different now. They are always different, yet they remain the same.

It didn't really start to go bad at any specific time.
Things looked promising the 1980's, all of a sudden the world wanted Green Products and people were interested in sexual equality and tolerance and understanding.
Then the Gulf war broke out, and it was the first time it was shown live on TV, the garrish high-tech sophisticated weaponry and remote imaging. People being vapourized. CNN became the number one news channel. Everything we wanted to do in the 80's was forgotten.

Edited by OftenWrong

30 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Things looked promising the 1980's, all of a sudden the world wanted Green Products and people were interested in sexual equality and tolerance and understanding.

2. Then the Gulf war broke out, and it was the first time it was shown live on TV,
3. the garrish high-tech sophisticated weaponry and remote imaging. People being vapourized. CNN became the number one news channel. Everything we wanted to do in the 80's was forgotten.

1. OMG that is the most hilarious take on 'what went wrong' I have ever read.
How about "Things looked great in the 90s, all of a sudden Bill Clinton had sex with Monica Lewinski and Rap took off" or "Things looked great in the 2000s, all of a sudden Facebook took off and Katrina hit..."
2. Well... would it have made sense to show it on TV BEFORE it broke out ?  :lol:
3. Most people say the 60s were idealistic and the 70s and 80s crashed that dream.  You are a smart poster, and I appreciate your alternative perspective even if it strikes me as odd.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. OMG that is the most hilarious take on 'what went wrong' I have ever read.
How about "Things looked great in the 90s, all of a sudden Bill Clinton had sex with Monica Lewinski and Rap took off" or "Things looked great in the 2000s, all of a sudden Facebook took off and Katrina hit..."
2. Well... would it have made sense to show it on TV BEFORE it broke out ?
3. Most people say the 60s were idealistic and the 70s and 80s crashed that dream. .

Nice... Please tell all the folks at the other forum, and Dialama, it's ok to come back now. I promise not to be mean anymore. I am sorry and I believe I can change.

It seems we cannot google these things. As there is no cite to refute my claims, I can't be wrong. I am saying we crossed the rubicon somewhere, just not in 2010. By then it was too late, Obama et al already had the yoke fully strapped on, if you know what I mean.

I can make some handwaving arguments about how people like to watch people die live on TV. I even remember a cool song about that. I don't remember any good songs from around 2010 though. Except for maybe Metallica. Old geezer music is all that is relevant. It marks the death of Pop music. When Kurt Cobain blew his head off, that was the last authentic note of pop music played.

Likewise Windows 95 is practically a Gutenberg level event, but nobody acknowledges it. I guess people are too busy checking out their screens.

So we have,

91 - Gulf War
94 - Cobain
95 - Windows 95
00 - Y2K
01 - Sept 11
02 - Afghan War
03 - Gulf War 2

Now that's what I call a bad decade, dude. Makes 2010 look like a rook.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

You are a smart poster, and I appreciate your alternative perspective even if it strikes me as odd.

That's cause I am more a visual spatial and you are more a cunning linguist.

7 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

1. Nice... Please tell all the folks at the other forum, and Dialama, it's ok to come back now. I promise not to be mean anymore. I am sorry and I believe I can change.

2. Except for maybe Metallica. Old geezer music is all that is relevant. It marks the death of Pop music. When Kurt Cobain blew his head off, that was the last authentic note of pop music played.

3. Likewise Windows 95 is practically a Gutenberg level event, but nobody acknowledges it. I guess people are too busy checking out their screens.

So we have,

91 - Gulf War
94 - Cobain
95 - Windows 95
00 - Y2K
01 - Sept 11
02 - Afghan War
03 - Gulf War 2

Now that's what I call a bad decade, dude. Makes 2010 look like a rook.

5. That's cause I am more a visual spatial and you are more a cunning linguist.

1. No idea what you are talking about but OK.
2. You need to explore The Darkness.  They are postmodern rock, re-constructed as a tour de force with atomic irony.
3. The web is more.  It was an invention that allowed for new inventions to be built out of itself.
4. You are missing - OJ, Oklahoma City, Lewinski Scandal, the 2000 presidential election, Napster, the 'I Love You' virus ... off the top of my head
5. Who told you that ?

Sars stock!  I remember Keith Richards getting security to toss out people that were throwing water at that nsync guy.

AC/DC too, quite a show.  

For the 2010's, the cubs winning the world series, one year after it happened in back to the future part 2.  

So much of that movie never happened.  I want those shoes with power laces.  :(