Who Canadian really are ......

Army Guy

When I first read this I thought WTF, but I think it hits the nail on the head, it describes exactly what it is to be Canadian, and where our thought process is at to getting anything done in this nation...this is what it boils down to 2 sides of the very same coin , it does not matter whether you liberal or conservative they all have the same process of getting things down...

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/my-2020-prediction-nothing-matters-and-everything-will-be-okay/ar-BBYkxNB

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

When I first read this I thought WTF, but I think it hits the nail on the head, it describes exactly what it is to be Canadian,

No. It describes the state of bland, just barely adequate government we tolerate because we've never seen good government and our third rate media doesn't tell us. Our standards have worn down over time so that we think a six hour wait to see the doctor at ER, or a three year wait for a trial, or cable/internet/cell phones costing a fortune and homes that cost fifteen years wages are the norm.

Well, they are HERE.

In America during the 70s this was called malaise.  That makes Trudeau our Jimmy Carter.  Hopefully our Reagan is only a year or two away.  He/she won’t need to fire air traffic controllers, but something similar would be nice. 

2 hours ago, DrYouth said:

This is very true...

And yet I appreciate Canada... because in fact everything will be ok.

The same cannot be said for most other places in the world...

Count your blessings.

Everything appears to be okay in Canada, but really, is all okay in Canada? You tell me? 

So, what kind of blessings should I be counting on living here in Canada? Just asking? :) You should count your blessings that your Canadian government has not taken all of your hard working tax dollars away from you as of yet. But believe me when I say that they no doubt are working on that. ;)

56 minutes ago, Argus said:

No. It describes the state of bland, just barely adequate government we tolerate because we've never seen good government and our third rate media doesn't tell us. Our standards have worn down over time so that we think a six hour wait to see the doctor at ER, or a three year wait for a trial, or cable/internet/cell phones costing a fortune and homes that cost fifteen years wages are the norm.

Well, they are HERE.

So, what the hell are you going to do, or have done, about what is going on in this gawd awful forsaken corrupt lefty liberal screwed up country? Just asking? ;)

18 minutes ago, Shady said:

In America during the 70s this was called malaise.  That makes Trudeau our Jimmy Carter.  Hopefully our Reagan is only a year or two away.  He/she won’t need to fire air traffic controllers, but something similar would be nice. 

There can be no doubt about it that Canada needs a Reagan or a Trump like leader to save this hell hole of a country that it will soon become. We may have to live with another four more years of this prime mistake of Canada. God help save Canada from the morons that are running and ruining this once great British/European nation. We need your help now. :unsure: 

Edited by taxme

8 minutes ago, taxme said:

Everything appears to be okay in Canada, but really, is all okay in Canada? You tell me? 

Could things  be better... sure there is always room for improvement...

Could it be worse... all you have to do is look around the globe... it could be a lot worse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, taxme said:

So, what the hell are you going to do, or have done, about what is going on in this gawd awful forsaken corrupt lefty liberal screwed up country? Just asking? ;)

The inbred Liberal mess originates in Ontario/Quebec . . . . they will never give up their corrupt entitled hold on the rest of Canada.  Manitoba west could be very viable in a decade.  Fuel and food, we have it all.  The last election showed us where the lines are drawn.  Time to do something about it.  Bitch and moan just doesn't cut it anymore.  The west has a vibrancy lacking in the east.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DrYouth said:

Could it be worse... all you have to do is look around the globe... it could be a lot worse.

That's a mentality that prevents anything from getting better.  "Yeah, things kinda suck, but it could be a lot worse!"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Argus said:

That's a mentality that prevents anything from getting better.  "Yeah, things kinda suck, but it could be a lot worse!"

Sometimes trying to make things better end up making it worse.  Germany in the 1930's, roman empire, etc.  

Sure we should strive to make things better but I hope people dont just throw caution to the wind.  

9 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Sometimes trying to make things better end up making it worse.  Germany in the 1930's, roman empire, etc.  

Sure we should strive to make things better but I hope people dont just throw caution to the wind.  

Sometimes trying to make things better, actually can make things better.

28 minutes ago, Argus said:

I guess the question is "how do they suck?"...

I hear a lot of different problems being expressed around here.

Each solution brings its own potential problems with it.

Make so and so happy and you make this other guy unhappy...

All I'm saying is for the most part Canada does pretty well... should we continue to strive to do even better... why the hell not...

But what exactly are you proposing?

Edited by DrYouth
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, DrYouth said:

All I'm saying is for the most part Canada does pretty well... should we continue to strive to do even better... why the hell not...

But what exactly are you proposing?

Until there's some type amending formula for the Constitution that reflects what the country is to-day . . . . Canada will continue to divide along regional, racial, and economic lines. Canada's not doing 'pretty well' . . . . it's coming apart.  

27 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Until there's some type amending formula for the Constitution that reflects what the country is to-day . . . . Canada will continue to divide along regional, racial, and economic lines. Canada's not doing 'pretty well' . . . . it's coming apart.  

If Canada was going to come apart it would have already. 

Other than a bunch of whining of which there is no decline... there is no sign of Canada coming apart any time soon...

I agree with the OP article on that score.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrYouth said:

If Canada was going to come apart it would have already. 

Other than a bunch of whining of which there is no decline... there is no sign of Canada coming apart any time soon...

You don't know, I don't know . . . . . perhaps this is the start of a separation process.  This isn't the time to be smug.  Save that for Trudeau.  By the way, I consider Trudeau a traitor.

1 hour ago, DrYouth said:

I guess the question is "how do they suck?"...

I hear a lot of different problems being expressed around here.

Each solution brings its own potential problems with it.

Make so and so happy and you make this other guy unhappy...

Who exactly is happy about six hour waits to see a doctor at an emergency room? Who is happy  about the shortage of doctors? Who is happy about 2 to three year waits for trials? Anyone? Well, maybe the lawyers.

The point I'm making is that no one is even talking about how to fix these things. We've accepted that that's just the way it is, so no one is studying them or proposing changes. They're just left as they are. In the last election, how much talk did you even hear about how to improve the economy and enrich the country? Virtually nothing. Instead they were just talking about how to move money around from one place to another to please this or that voter block.

I do think the time for protecting the Rogers and Bell monopolies is over.  Open up telecom to international companies.  If I can buy four unlimited data cell phone plans for $100 in the US and I can’t even buy an unlimited cell data plan in Canada, that’s a problem on many levels that ultimately hurts consumers, productivity, and global competitiveness.  A certain amount of deregulation needs to happen in Canada.  

13 hours ago, Argus said:

Who exactly is happy about six hour waits to see a doctor at an emergency room? Who is happy  about the shortage of doctors? Who is happy about 2 to three year waits for trials? Anyone? Well, maybe the lawyers.

The point I'm making is that no one is even talking about how to fix these things. We've accepted that that's just the way it is, so no one is studying them or proposing changes. They're just left as they are. In the last election, how much talk did you even hear about how to improve the economy and enrich the country? Virtually nothing. Instead they were just talking about how to move money around from one place to another to please this or that voter block.

I am a practicing psychiatrist working with adolescents at our local general hospital. In speaking with physicians from the US, I am convinced our Canadian system is head and shoulders ahead of the US system. I can provide support to teenagers of all financial backgrounds that are admitted to our hospital with suicide attempts or major mental health presentations and hospitalize them for the amount of time necessary for them to stabilize without overwhelming the families with financial burden. This would simply not be possible in the US. Only those with adequate insurance would receive the treatment necessary and those without would not. In fact those with adequate insurance often receive more interventions than necessary which is often counterproductive.

The primary concern with the medical system continue to be the over reliance on Big Pharma in funding research and promoting interventions. This is far bigger than a local Canadian issue. Canada certainly does a better if still inadequate job of curtailing the expenses and negotiating with Big Pharma to reduce our health care costs.

Can we do better, certainly and we should.... And yes we look good compared to the US... but we should look to other models of health care that have worked out efficiencies that strike a better balance. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, DrYouth said:

I am a practicing psychiatrist working with adolescents at our local general hospital. In speaking with physicians from the US, I am convinced our Canadian system is head and shoulders ahead of the US system. I can provide support to teenagers of all financial backgrounds that are admitted to our hospital with suicide attempts or major mental health presentations and hospitalize them for the amount of time necessary for them to stabilize without overwhelming the families with financial burden. This would simply not be possible in the US. Only those with adequate insurance would receive the treatment necessary and those without would not. In fact those with adequate insurance often receive more interventions than necessary which is often counterproductive.

The problem with Canada's health system is that it's rationed.  As a psychiatrist you should know that in some major Canadian cities it can take several months to see a publicly funded therapist like a psychologist or psychiatrist such as yourself after your family doctor has submitted a referral.  Unless of course you're having a severe or emergency situation like suicide or voices in the head, which you'll get to see someone fairly quickly.  That's also because our system is triaged based on need.  So if you don't have an emergency situation and you need psychological help, you're paying out of pocket to see a therapist.  The system is a disgrace regarding mental health issues.

Same with trying to get an MRI, or getting surgery for something that isn't an emergency.  Canada's healthcare system often is an utter failure for those not in emergency situations.

If you have health insurance in the US, which is most people, the system is superior.  They have the best healthcare facilities in the world and you don't have to wait like you do here.  They can improve their healthcare situation and insurance regulations without a doubt, but Canada's health system is no miracle.

What Canada should do is either fund the system properly or go back to private insurance where everyone is mandated to have insurance and the insurance is tightly regulated so people aren't taken advantage of by insurance companies, and maintain a publicly funded insurance option for those on low income.

4 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

The problem with Canada's health system is that it's rationed.  As a psychiatrist you should know that in some major Canadian cities it can take several months to see a publicly funded therapist like a psychologist or psychiatrist such as yourself after your family doctor has submitted a referral.  Unless of course you're having a severe or emergency situation like suicide or voices in the head, which you'll get to see someone fairly quickly.  That's also because our system is triaged based on need.  So if you don't have an emergency situation and you need psychological help, you're paying out of pocket to see a therapist.  The system is a disgrace regarding mental health issues.

Same with trying to get an MRI, or getting surgery for something that isn't an emergency.  Canada's healthcare system often is an utter failure for those not in emergency situations.

If you have health insurance in the US, which is most people, the system is superior.  They have the best healthcare facilities in the world and you don't have to wait like you do here.  They can improve their healthcare situation and insurance regulations without a doubt, but Canada's health system is no miracle.

What Canada should do is either fund the system properly or go back to private insurance where everyone is mandated to have insurance and the insurance is tightly regulated so people aren't taken advantage of by insurance companies, and maintain a publicly funded insurance option for those on low income.

A publicly funded mental health system HAS to be rationed.

There are in Canada many privately funded mental health providers.

Medical psychiatric care is OF COURSE rationed.... but there is much more of it available publicly in Canada than in the US.

Medical psychiatric care is really only something you want to consider if your mental health needs are in the severe range.

Medical treatment of mild to moderate mental health concerns has been shown to be often ineffective and not infrequently counter productive...

Once again Big Pharma has hijacked the system... much to all of our detriment... although there are some situations where psychopharmacology has a significant role to play... it is sad to see it taking the lead role in management of our mental health issues... leading to a lack of expertise in non-medication based approaches.

Going back to a mandated insurance system is the biggest brain fart of them all. Why insert a private middle-man - something that  has been demonstrated to inflate costs and vastly increase burocratic red tape.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, DrYouth said:

What you see around the world is canada's future. 

6 minutes ago, DrYouth said:

A publicly funded mental health system HAS to be rationed.

There are in Canada many privately funded mental health providers.

Medical psychiatric care is OF COURSE rationed.... but there is much more of it available publicly in Canada than in the US.

Medical psychiatric care is really only something you want to consider if your mental health needs are in the severe range.

Medical treatment of mild to moderate mental health concerns has been shown to be often ineffective and not infrequently counter productive...

Once again Big Pharma has hijacked the system... much to all of our detriment... although there are some situations where psychopharmacology has a significant role to play... it is sad to see it taking the lead role in management of our mental health issues... leading to a lack of expertise in non-medication based approaches.

Going back to a mandated insurance system is the biggest brain fart of them all. Why insert a private middle-man - something that  has been demonstrated to inflate costs and vastly increase burocratic red tape.

Bringing in the elderly from other countries that goes straight into our hospitals on arrival needs to end.

• Like 1