Trudeau/Bill Blair . . . . gun control.

1 hour ago, Shakeyhands said:

I’ve been away for a long while and I must say I’m amazed by some of the blatantly disrespectful and racist posts in this thread.  

:huh::rolleyes:

This is a discussion forum. If you disagree with what someone says then you can point out your disagreement and argue your case. Posting a sanctimonious complaint that others apparently don't meet with your standards of political correctness serves no purpose.

Edited by Argus

• 4 weeks later...
Just now, bcsapper said:

I know too many people who target shoot with hand guns to agree with your tyrannical views.

I don’t care if they’re kept under lock and key at a target shooting range, but leaving them in the possession of private citizens isn’t worth the social cost.  Pretty soon it could get like parts of the US where everyone will have to be armed.  Cut the supply now, while we still can.  Hunting rifles are fine.  

8 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t care if they’re kept under lock and key at a target shooting range, but leaving them in the possession of private citizens isn’t worth the social cost.  Pretty soon it could get like parts of the US where everyone will have to be armed.  Cut the supply now, while we still can.  Hunting rifles are fine.  

They travel to various tournaments with their guns.  Keeping them under lock and key at a single range would not be practical.

I can see mandatory life sentences for the discharge of a firearm in the commission of a crime though.  Same for smuggling of weapons across from the US.  Immediate deportation without appeal for any non citizen found with an illegal weapon.  Mandatory life sentences without the chance for parole for anyone who kills anyone with a gun.

Might as well punish those committing the crime, as opposed to those doing nothing wrong.

Edited by bcsapper

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Ban all civilian handguns and assault rifles now.  These aren’t hunting rifles.  Enough gun homicides from thugs   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/three-dead-shooting-cityplace-1.5448788

Assault rifles have been banned for decades. By the way, do you have any information that an 'assault rifle' was even involved here? Or that they're ever involved in Toronto's gang violence?

Almost all such violence comes from handguns smuggled across the border in the hands of people who are not legally allowed to possess hand guns anyway. How would your new ban make the slightest difference?

I don’t care if they’re kept under lock and key at a target shooting range, but leaving them in the possession of private citizens isn’t worth the social cost.  

You don't even know what the social cost is.

Pretty soon it could get like parts of the US where everyone will have to be armed.

Nonsense. Our gun control laws are far more restrictive than in the US.

Cut the supply now, while we still can.

Neat trick if you can manage that. But you can't. The border is too long, and cross-border reserves make it impossible.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I can see mandatory life sentences for the discharge of a firearm in the commission of a crime though.  Same for smuggling of weapons across from the US.  Immediate deportation without appeal for any non citizen found with an illegal weapon.  Mandatory life sentences without the chance for parole for anyone who kills anyone with a gun.

LOL. The first judge who dealt with it would burst into tears, find such a law 'unconstitutional', and jump off the bench to give the criminal a big hug and as light a sentence as they could get away with. We will never have strict sentences for violence until we change the legal system to let juries decide the sentence. Judges will NEVER consent to strong sentences.

48 minutes ago, Argus said:

LOL. The first judge who dealt with it would burst into tears, find such a law 'unconstitutional', and jump off the bench to give the criminal a big hug and as light a sentence as they could get away with. We will never have strict sentences for violence until we change the legal system to let juries decide the sentence. Judges will NEVER consent to strong sentences.

Yes, it was somewhat optimistic.  It's just that I have a really hard time understanding people who think that the best way to stop criminals shooting people with guns  is to take guns away from non criminals who don't shoot people.

Edited by bcsapper

46 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Yes, it was somewhat optimistic.  It's just that I have a really hard time understanding people who think that the best way to stop criminals shooting people with guns  is to take guns away from non criminals who don't shoot people.

Nobody shoots anyone till the first time they do.  The fewer guns that are in circulation and the harder they are to get, legally or illegally,, the harder it will be for anyone to become a first-time shooter.

12 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Nobody shoots anyone till the first time they do.  The fewer guns that are in circulation and the harder they are to get, legally or illegally,, the harder it will be for anyone to become a first-time shooter.

Yeah, but that's still no reason to stop target shooters who have undergone all the requirements for obtaining a PAL for restricted firearms from owning handguns.

8 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The larger social cost is giving the government all the power and leaving civilians with one.  More so at this time than any other, we the people need firearms of all kinds to ensure the government does not have the ability to overthrow our freedoms. 

Guest ProudConservative
29 minutes ago, Dale said:

The larger social cost is giving the government all the power and leaving civilians with one.  More so at this time than any other, we the people need firearms of all kinds to ensure the government does not have the ability to overthrow our freedoms. 

I stand with the liberals on this one. I don't want American style "Gun Freedom" coming to Canada. Too many little thugz running around Toronto these day's popin one another. If it means some farmers from Saskcathewan have to fill out some papers, well so be it.

I don't need some rural conservative hick lecturing me about... liberal tyrany, when they have no idea what does on in our inner cities.

We just had an AirBNB shooting in Toronto, where 3 people were shot to Death. Actually... I think the liberals are too moderate on guns, maybe it's time for some tyranical confiscation... Do what ya got to do, and get them off the Street.

I don't feel like getting accidentally popped by some gang banger, just because i'm walking the streets of the T Dot, and I don't need some conservative hill billy telling me, I need open Carry... to defend myself. I never wanna own a gun period!

Also lets find out who's smuggling them in from the States. I hear rumors that the natives are gun runners now. Well lets do raids on the reserves if we half too.

Edited by ProudConservative

Guest ProudConservative
1 hour ago, Dale said:

Please take your paranoid delusions somewhere else. Almost none one in Japan is allowed to own a firearm, and they're getting along just fine. You are buying into American proproganda, just as an excuse to sell more firearms. The NRA doesn't give a damn about the school shootings, or how many people die from their products. The NRA is like a civilian varient of the military industrial complex. They're trying to get an arms race going... Where everyone buys a gun out of fear, instead of legitament reasons.

If you wanna be a conservative, focus on the taxpayer being ripped off, and overspending. Stop making it easier for gangs to get firearms... You're making people like me wanna become a liberal.

11 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Ban all civilian handguns and assault rifles now.  These aren’t hunting rifles.  Enough gun homicides from thugs   

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/three-dead-shooting-cityplace-1.5448788

Ask yourself why is this becoming such a problem now when it wasn't so much before?  What has changed?

11 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You can ban all the guns you want, the criminals will still find them through criminal means. 

These aren't gun collectors whose wife left them and then they go nuts..  These are gang-banging thug low-lifes turning our cities into trash.  Time to take out the trash.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Guest ProudConservative
10 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Ask yourself why is this becoming such a problem now when it wasn't so much before?  What has changed?

People are more stressed out than ever. We're overworking now, and Chritianity and discipline have gone out the window. We live in a narcasistic, me first society... and greey record labels, trying to Ghettoize black youth by shoving gangster rap down their throats.

Then you have the Alex Jones types... saying every American should be armed to the teeth, in case the government goes tyranical... being a useful idiot for the weapons manufacturers.

And @ssholes NRA shills like this... Trying to make black people think it's virtueous to own firearms, over the intution of their parents.

11 hours ago, bcsapper said:

They travel to various tournaments with their guns.  Keeping them under lock and key at a single range would not be practical.

Might as well punish those committing the crime, as opposed to those doing nothing wrong.

You sounds like an American.

When your toys are human killing machines I have no sympathy for you when people are dying.  I suggest they take up racket ball.

Guest ProudConservative
21 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You sounds like an American.

When your toys are human killing machines I have no sympathy for you when people are dying.  I suggest they take up racket ball.

I shot a handgun once in Saskatchewan... First thing I noticed was the creepy recoil... It always feel like the gun was going to rotate up and shoot me in the face.... and my wrist was sore for an hour... felt like tiny fractures in my bone... because it's a really creepy feeling... like your breaking your wrist when you shoot 10 or 20 bullets.

Was tempted to go back to a gun range, but it's like $50 to rent the run, and then $50 for the ammunition, and i'm like forget it... Maybe wanna shoot 5 bullets and leave.

It's interesting for about 2 minutes, then you realize everyone dies because of these weapons... We don't need em in society. Young black men have been brainwashed... Thinking they must be cool, or they ain't gonna get laid... then they go after the women too... turn them into gangsters, and half the black community is screwed up.

50 cent is a loser.... Great message to the youth... everyone wants you dead, so you need to fight back.

Guest ProudConservative

If the liberals pull this off, I will actually will be rooting for them. Still won't vote for liberals, as long as Justin is their leader... but I'll be thrilled.

4 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

If the liberals pull this off, I will actually will be rooting for them. Still won't vote for liberals, as long as Justin is their leader... but I'll be thrilled.

I just don’t think the Liberals will act and make the necessary tough choices.  They’re full of rhetoric, short on action.  

I like her too, but I don’t think the Dems will tackle gun control.  There’s an almost religious adherence to the Second Amendment in the US on the basis of this Old West idea of keeping the government in check, even though the government made it clear 20 plus years ago that if you start hoarding weapons and trying to run your own Jonestown like David Koresh, the government is going to step in and shut you down.  Let’s not fool ourselves.  The main argument now in support of gun rights in the states is that law abiding citizens need to protect themselves from thugs who will find a way to get guns illegally.  

The context is different in Canada because there aren’t as many illegal (or legal) handguns in circulation, yet gun homicides are on the rise.  Now is the time to grandfather the permits on handguns.  If you acquired it legally, we probably have to live with that.  Hunting rifles continue to be legal under the proper controls.  Going forward, no permits should be issued for civilian handguns, and certainly not for these Norenco-type assault rifles that have nothing to do with hunting bears or keeping wolves off your Alberta ranch.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

Guest ProudConservative
15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I like her too, but I don’t think the Dems will tackle gun control.  There’s an almost religious adherence to the Second Amendment in the US on the basis of this Old West idea of keeping the government in check, even though the government made it clear 20 plus years ago that if you start hoarding weapons and trying to run your own Jonestown like David Koresh, the government is going to step in and shut you down.  Let’s not fool ourselves.  The main argument now in support of gun rights in the states is that law abiding citizens need to protect themselves from thugs who will find a way to get guns illegally.  

The context is different in Canada because there aren’t as many illegal (or legal) handguns in circulation, yet gun homicides are on the rise.  Now is the time to grandfather the permits on handguns.  If you acquired it legally, we probably have to live with that.  Hunting rifles continue to be legal under the proper controls.  Going forward, no permits should be issued for civilian handguns, and certainly not for these Norenco assault-style rifles that have nothing to do with hunting bears or keeping wolves off your Alberta ranch.  

I'm for full scale gun confiscation. No one needs a gun. If you want to hunt, you can have a single shot rifle.... Even then... we don't need to hunt, because it's reducing the animal population.

If you want to target practise, you can go to a range, and rent a rifle... If you absolutely feel the need to shoot some bullets, than you can work hard to earn that priveledge.... but you don't need to keep a firearm in the house... Citizens shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

For domestic protection, we need to give citizens non lethal weapons...

Ocasionally somene will be shot to death, but for every home invasion where someone dies, hundreds of people won't die in gang violence.... So I don't think anyone deserves the right to own a firearm for self defense.

8 minutes ago, ProudConservative said:

I'm for full scale gun confiscation. No one needs a gun. If you want to hunt, you can have a single shot rifle.... Even then... we don't need to hunt, because it's reducing the animal population.

If you want to target practise, you can go to a range, and rent a rifle... If you absolutely feel the need to shoot some bullets, than you can work hard to earn that priveledge.... but you don't need to keep a firearm in the house... Citizens shouldn't be allowed to own firearms.

For domestic protection, we need to give citizens non lethal weapons...

Ocasionally somene will be shot to death, but for every home invasion where someone dies, hundreds of people won't die in gang violence.... So I don't think anyone deserves the right to own a firearm for self defense.

I agree.