Why Do Conservatives Support the Monarchy?

Guest PPC2019

These days I either have to believe Prince Andrew was working as an informant for MI6 or in the alternative he is an sob no one should support.

I also personally believe Harry and Meaghan are self absorbed shmucks and not people I am fond of for being a symbol of decency and dignity. That said Prince Edward is

a parasite useless goof and Charles and Camilla are antiquated duds. That said, I respect Princess Anne's hard work for charities. Ok Andrew's daughters are redundant as is his ex wife who

looks like a red headed fig. I also suspect Liz and Phil are dracos and eat children. All that said, I support the symbol of monarchy as continuity of consistent stable laws. Is it antiquated

maybe. Is it based on incest, insanity, inbreeding, madness, alpha male psychos, yes. I also think it played a valuable role defeating Nazism even though that fool abdicated leaving King

George to take over and giving us a line of succession never intended.  It played a major role in keeping the UK and Canada focused and united in defeating Hitler. I admire Prince Phil was a

genuine navy man in WW2 and his wife Lizzy was a great role model in WW2. OK Princess Margaret was a tramp. What can I say.

2 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Support the Monarchy?  Support a bunch of in-bred 'gingers' with bad teeth, and light sensitive eyes . . . . well, some confused members here like them . . . I guess.  Kinda' sad really . . .

You'd prefer someone like Julie Payette as president of Canada?

33 minutes ago, Argus said:

You'd prefer someone like Julie Payette as president of Canada?

Guessing you're a fair skin/haired person in need of dental work and a pair of Ray-Bans?  Apologies, I should have used a different descriptive example.  Who's Julie Payette ?

Edited by Nefarious Banana

8 hours ago, Argus said:

Naw. American networks and studios no longer make TV shows or movies without checking with China first to see what they think, what they like, and what they might disapprove of. If China might get annoyed, then the movie isn't made. "American" culture is quickly morphing into "Chinese" culture.

Talk to me when the Chinese start making all the movies and TV shows, until then your Chinese culture theory makes no sense whatsoever.

If we compare Canada and Australia as rlation to the USA and the UK one could say that Canada is more inclined to the USA 90% compared to being inclined to the UK. Obvious Geographic reasons really despite Canada being a Commonwealth country.

I guess a lot of Canadians don't follow nor are even interested in British politics and why should they anyway as it has nothing to do with them. 

In Australia it is definitely the other way round. They really are a British outpost down under. Whatever goes on in the UK is well-known 10000km away on the other side of the world.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -TSS- said:

In Australia it is definitely the other way round. They really are a British outpost down under. Whatever goes on in the UK is well-known 10000km away on the other side of the world.

Historically, Australians were more British culturally than Canadians were, right down to their sports and their accent, although I’m not sure I’d dare to call them a British outpost these days. Two reasons why republicanism was more hotly debated in Oz - it meant a lot more because of the stronger links to Britain (not always happy ones) and there was no massive republic next door that one didn’t want to imitate too much. The country that used to be in Canada’s shoes down there, overshadowed by a similar but much larger neighbour, was New Zealand. Now both of them are dealing with the soft power of Hollywood, Google and Facebook, and the considerably darker influence of China. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

On 11/26/2019 at 10:18 AM, Iceni warrior said:

Well the Christian tradition of all hallows eve is losing out to a ''pagan'' tradition in the ultra-Christian US so why not?

In fact, most Christian festivals and traditions are based on pagan traditions. Christmas trees, holly and ivy being some of the more obvious.

The roots of Halloween go way back to your Celtic friends.

Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

The roots of Halloween go way back to your Celtic friends.

Absolutely, trick or treat does not though.

Kids now are more likely to go trick or treating than go to bonfires. Penny for the Guy has almost disappeared. This is a loss of a British tradition in favour of an American one. That makes me sad.

2 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

Kids now are more likely to go trick or treating than go to bonfires. Penny for the Guy has almost disappeared. This is a loss of a British tradition in favour of an American one. That makes me sad.

It’s a fairly minor example of what is happening across the world. Many languages will disappear in the next few decades as globalization proceeds.

3 hours ago, Iceni warrior said:

Guess again.....https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-history-of-trick-or-treating-is-weirder-than-you-thought-79408373/

Also the long outlawed but related "devil's night" of mischief and vandalism common generations ago did not come from America.  (Many vacant homes in Detroit were demolished this way.)

In some ways this custom endures for the same reasons that the monarchy endure in Canada and the Commonwealth....many people like it...not because of American culture.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Guess again.....https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/the-history-of-trick-or-treating-is-weirder-than-you-thought-79408373/

Also the long outlawed but related "devil's night" of mischief and vandalism common generations ago did not come from America.  (Many vacant homes in Detroit were demolished this way.)

In some ways this custom endures for the same reasons that the monarchy endure in Canada and the Commonwealth....many people like it...not because of American culture.

Dammit, you've given me one less thing to be curmudgeonly about.

9 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Historically, Australians were more British culturally than Canadians were, right down to their sports and their accent, although I’m not sure I’d dare to call them a British outpost these days. Two reasons why republicanism was more hotly debated in Oz - it meant a lot more because of the stronger links to Britain (not always happy ones) and there was no massive republic next door that one didn’t want to imitate too much. The country that used to be in Canada’s shoes down there, overshadowed by a similar but much larger neighbour, was New Zealand. Now both of them are dealing with the soft power of Hollywood, Google and Facebook, and the considerably darker influence of China. 

The US and Australia both have one thing in common. They are all descended from criminals. The whole lot. Unruly rednecks. I prefer Australians. They are funny and can drink anyone under the table and have beautiful women and great athletes. I just think they need to stop picking on their sharks.

Edited by Rue
  • Haha 1

On 11/26/2019 at 5:34 PM, Nefarious Banana said:

Support a bunch of in-bred 'gingers' with bad teeth, and light sensitive eyes . . . . 

Yes they represent the very finest and the best of humanity, physically, mentally. Oh and let's not forget also, morally. The nobility, the ultimate achievement, homo superior.

Personally I can't think of a better example.

33 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes they represent the very finest and the best of humanity, physically, mentally. Oh and let's not forget also, morally. The nobility, the ultimate achievement, homo superior.

Personally I can't think of a better example.

The Ginger is actually the Spencer's.  Not royalty, an aristocratic family.  The Royals are Germans.

• Like 1

Just now, Dougie93 said:

It's funny, Prince Charles was very angry when Harry was born, he basically rejected him, said : "He looks like a Spencer"  Ginger.

He wanted a girl. Don't think ginger hair had a lot to do with it.

That was the moment Diana knew it was over.