Why Do Conservatives Support the Monarchy?

Guest PPC2019

Guest PPC2019
6 minutes ago, Argus said:

Everything about western society, from the enlightenment to capitalism. Universities are run by Marxist inspired post modernists.

What's a post modernist?... Someone told me that my former professor was a post modernist. What does that mean?

Edited by PPC2019

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

Everything about western society, from the enlightenment to capitalism. Universities are run by Marxist inspired post modernists.

Everything is the enemy? Every teacher, administrator and bureaucrat is a Marxist?

As I suspected nothing more than partisan rants 

Cant offer any actual argument

Just now, SkyHigh said:

Everything is the enemy? Every teacher, administrator and bureaucrat is a Marxist?

Why do some people insist that when one is clearly generalizing one has strapped the term 'all' in front of ones words?

Is it just because that's the easiest way to create a straw man?

9 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

What's a post modernist?... Someone told me that my former professor was a post modernist. What does that mean?

'Postmodernism, also spelled post-modernism, in Western philosophy, a late 20th-century movement characterized by broad skepticism, subjectivism, or relativism; a general suspicion of reason; and an acute sensitivity to the role of ideology in asserting and maintaining political and economic power.'

1 minute ago, Argus said:

Why do some people insist that when one is clearly generalizing one has strapped the term 'all' in front of ones words?

Is it just because that's the easiest way to create a straw man?

I literally asked for what he "specifically"meant when he used fifth column. Ie who they were and who was the enemy. He responded with "everything" his word not mine, gow is that me building a straw man?

25 minutes ago, PPC2019 said:

Do you personality feel comfortable with burka being worn on public streets?

19.jpg

Personally, I think it denigrates women and has no place in modern society

Politically, other than voting and receiving public services, why would I care what someone wears and what right do I have to impose my views on them if I did care?

4 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

Personally, I think it denigrates women and has no place in modern society

If you feel that this and the religious values and attitude behind it have no place in a modern society, should we not, at the least, stop importing tens of thousands of people who DO believe in it into our country every year?

6 minutes ago, Argus said:

If you wanted to ask what 'he' meant you should have asked him and not replied to my statement.

I did, he said everything, I then responded to you saying im building a straw man after I had asked him a follow up question directly quoting his response.

But I'll gladly ignore you if you'd like? Not as id you're saying anything of substance anyway 

1 hour ago, SkyHigh said:

Academic? Thanks!!!

I'm a high school drop out, that has spent almost twenty years part time earning three certificates that amount to a four year degree, and still can't write with proper grammar.

If you equate asking you to express your opinion in logical form to 'academic' (don't know what fop means) not sure what to tell you.

You seem to be the only poster here that has a compulsive need to present your credentials . . . .  please tell us again how 'educated' you are.

Guest PPC2019
Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

You seem to be the only poster here that has a compulsive need to present your credentials . . . .  please tell us again how 'educated' you are.

Yah because that's why we're all here. Personal insults, and to bring each other down. Well i'm kinda sick of it, I'll go listen to trance now. I want to be a in a good mood.

5 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

Partisanship implies a predetermined prejudice. The rational person looks at each issue independently without presuppositions based solely on opinion.

Everyone's environment will create a certain level of bias, so we must be vigilant as not to let confirmation bias cloud our judgment.

If you're already sold (like you appear to be) how can you honestly think your epistemology is sound?

Your efforts are noble, i just think you're probably kidding yourself.  Maybe you're one of the very few people who can look at political issues and events from a truly academic standpoint.  Activism is impossible within legit academics, because as you say, confirmation bias becomes a huge problem.

Despite effort most people usually start taking sides on issues/events because everyone has their own theories on how the world should work and will judge actions/events/ideas as "good or "bad/evil".  Try to teach a course on slavery without moralizing it, it's almost impossible.

Anyways, hope you're successful.

14 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

What are all the medals for ?

They're both wearing Queen's Gold & Diamond Jubilee Medals

Harry is wearing the Afghanistan Operational Service Medal.

Harry is also wearing the Knight Commander of Royal Victorian Order around his neck, which is Knighthood, Sir Harry as it were.

On 11/12/2019 at 8:18 PM, Moonlight Graham said:

Because they're conservative.  Conservative means upholding the status quo or even trying to restore the past (reactionary).  Upholding the monarchy is about upholding tradition.  Even Thomas Hobbes supported the monarchy before democracy was cool.

But not about conserving the environment. For many anyway.

Edited by marcus

Guest PPC2019
6 minutes ago, marcus said:

But not about conserving the environment. For many anyway.

Unfortunately there not, and conservatives are paying a big price for it. Maybe they don't believe in climate change. They can at least come up with a detailed policy for the environment. If they're too lazy to do their homework, there going to keep losing elections.

Guest PPC2019

I don't know man. I've gone to far down the rabbit hole with conspiracy theory's. I don't even know what to believe any more sometimes. I look at it with deep skepticism.

I fully agree with your positive feelings towards Margaret Thatcher.

Edited by PPC2019