Why Do Conservatives Support the Monarchy?

Guest PPC2019

Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

Safer for the British public than the hubbie driving anyway. It took an accident to persuade him to give up the keys. Liz ain’t going to live forever. Do you think we’re going to be as keen on Charlie? 

I like HRH Prince of Wales, but Canadians are insecure about being ruled by the British Crown, so I'm sure they come up with reasons not to like him.

People were not keen on the Queen at first neither, back in 52' they thought she was just a girl and she wasn't going to be able to handle the job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I like HRH Prince of Wales, but Canadians are insecure about being ruled by the British Crown, so I'm sure they come up with reasons not to like him.

People were not keen on the Queen at first neither, back in 52' they thought she was just a girl and she wasn't going to be able to handle the job.

Elizabeth turned out well. Charles is a known quantity and isn’t going to change much now. 

9 hours ago, PPC2019 said:

Canada doesn't live in a democracy. We live in a delegated democracy under a dictatorship. We live under a parliamentary-monarchy.

Why do the British taxpayers spend millions of dollars to help a royal family live in billion dollar palaces?

Isn't that worse than corporate welfare?

It's a political idea, different than republic in that the Monarch is an independent entity. But you are right that what we have today is no longer effective, doesn't function as it was intended. Because we have turned our backs on Her, if you will.

These wise prophets, men of old, knew it all along-

10 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is stuck with the monarchy  anyways, Canada cannot be a republic. 

You would have to write a new constitution from scratch, and Canada would cease by default the moment you did.

Confederation is a shotgun marriage, remove the monarchy, it all simply flies apart.

The last time the governor general(aka the Queen) actually used the privilege of head of state to refuse Royal assent was at the beginning of the 1700's. 

So the idea that we are somehow dependant on the monarchy to stop the country from " simply fliing apart" is demonstrably false

3 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

The last time the governor general(aka the Queen) actually used the privilege of head of state to refuse Royal assent was at the beginning of the 1700's. 

So the idea that we are somehow dependant on the monarchy to stop the country from " simply fliing apart" is demonstrably false

Canada is not a republic, the basis of Canada is the Treaty of Paris 1763.

Canada is not even a nation, it's a Confederation and it is highly unstable.

You can't just flip a switch and make Confederation into a nation and republic.

If you tried to hold a constitutional convention to make Confederation into a republic, it would fail and Confederation would collapse.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is not a republic, the basis of Canada is the Treaty of Paris 1763.

Canada is not even a nation, it's a Confederation and it is highly unstable.

You can't just flip a switch and make Confederation into a nation and republic.

If you tried to hold a constitutional convention to make Confederation into a republic, it would fail and Confederation would collapse.

You're absolutely correct a parliamentary system is not a republic.

Still doesn't adress why Canada would ""simply fly apart without a monarchy" that hasn't meddled with our parliament in 300 hundred years

Not to mention that the Quebec act of 1774 (also a major reason the 13 colonies revolted) and the act of union of 1840 are much more influential to the " basis of Canada"

12 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

You're absolutely correct a parliamentary system is not a republic.

Still doesn't adress why Canada would ""simply fly apart without a monarchy" that hasn't meddled with our parliament in 300 hundred years

Not to mention that the Quebec act of 1774 (also a major reason the 13 colonies revolted) and the act of union of 1840 are much more influential to the " basis of Canada"

Canada is highly unstable, Quebec is not joining a Canadian republic, now Alberta wouldn't likely neither, once Quebec and Alberta walk, Ontario would follow, and that would be the end of it.

Confederation is entirely a product of the British Crown, no Crown, no Confederation.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Canada is highly unstable, Quebec is not joining a Canadian republic, now Alberta wouldn't likely neither, once Quebec and Alberta walk, Ontario would follow, and that would be the end of it.

Confederation is entirely a product of the British Crown, no Crown, no Confederation.

Confederation (as I will define as a loose assembly of states, for the purpose of this conversation) is a much better system then a republic. Our biggest problem is centralization, how would electing one man ( ie; the president of the United States) be an improvement?

I'm actually a strong proponent of confederation, though id change the borders as they exist now to make fewer "states" because i believe in a certain regional autonomy. Id be glad to elaborate at a later time but we're getting off topic.

Your contention is without the Queen, who is nothing more than a ceremonial figure head with no actual want, desire or standing to effect change in Canada, is necessary to the ability of our gov't to function, because we inherited the parliamentary system from Britain?

Does that mean that because Aristotle was from ancient Greece we all need to move to the Mediterranean, ignore every advancement since, and live like its 300 bc or epistemology flies apart? I know this argument is slightly fallacious, but I sincerely feel it's an honest comparison to 

4 hours ago, SkyHigh said:

Confederation is a shotgun marriage, remove the monarchy, it all simply flies apart.

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Quebec might be more likely to sign on to a Canadian Republic than British-styled monarchy led by the House of Windsor.  They ain't a fan of that for obvious reasons.

The solution to regional tensions is decentralization of government and more self-determination by the provinces.  Always has been.  Grievances have usually come from the feds imposing on the provinces. People want self-determination, but at the same time having all the provinces united as a political entity gives them more power and leverage in international matters. 

Same with the EU, it's no different.  Brits want self-determination, not foreigners in Brussels telling them what to do. But the EU has its perks as a trade union etc. that can negotiate as a single powerful entity with a lot of leverage to challenge markets in China, the US etc.

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

That's what you think?  You think a Canadian decorated veteran would side with Daesh?

That's so Canadian.  That's why I hate Canada.

It was a joke LOL.

Edit: you both hate Canada and what it stands for. I thought it would be a natural fit lol.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

It was a joke LOL.

Edit: you both hate Canada and what it stands for. I thought it would be a natural fit lol.

Laugh it up.   I'm not alone in hating Canada, all my American friends and family hate what Canada has turned into, and many Canadians I know are feeling the hate too.

Doesn't mean we side with Daesh, Canadians are the terrorist huggers, we side with America, against the Canadian fifth column against the West.

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

That's so Canadian.  That's why I hate Canada.

Btw, you might not know it but we think along similar lines.  Like you I'm not a Liberal Party/NDP lefty, I don't support an ever- increasing nanny state nor the elitist tyrants who impose restrictions on our rights and speech etc.  I'm well aware of the flaws within the Charter etc.  But I'm a Canadian and have nowhere else to go so i fight to reform within. You have options, I don't. My family helped build this country, but certainly didn't build this Pierre Elliot dystopia. My roots are here so I fight.  You can set fire to everything and then leave & watch it burn, I can't.

6 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Btw, you might not know it but we think along similar lines.  Like you I'm not a Liberal Party/NDP lefty, I don't support an ever- increasing nanny state nor the elitist tyrants who impose restrictions on our rights and speech etc.  I'm well aware of the flaws within the Charter etc.  But I'm a Canadian and have nowhere else to go so i fight to reform within. You have options, I don't. My family helped build this country, but certainly didn't build this Pierre Elliot dystopia. My roots are here so I fight.  You can set fire to everything and then leave & watch it burn, I can't.

Confederation collapsing will make things better, not worse. Creative Destruction, but what is being destroyed is simply that which holds you and your family back Moonlight.

Embrace the End of Confederation, don't try to stop it, there is no reforming it. 

Humpty Dumpty is broken. All The Queen's Horses and All The Crown's Men, Can't Put Confederation Back Together Again.

He's Dead Jim.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I'm still here, I have no quarrel with Ontario outside of Toronto, rural Ontario is good people, I defend them still, even as an American I defend them.

Canada however does not, Canada is what I have to defend them from. 

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Try to get it through your heads ; "Canada" is simply another word for Confederation. 

Confederation can burn to the ground, yet Ontario rolls on without it, just like Quebec is going to do.

Indeed, and this will be a massive improvement, for all of The Canada's.

It is not something to lament, it is something to embrace.

Just say good riddance to this shotgun marriage, Moonlight. You'll feel better, Dougie Knows.

Edited by Yzermandius19

8 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Indeed, and this will be a massive improvement, for all of The Canada's. It is not something to lament, it is something to embrace.

It's not like we're going to bulldoze the beautiful Parliament Buildings, we'll keep them as a tourist attraction, to wit; art.

We'll still have the Ceremonial Guard for the tourists, Canadian Guards Regiment on parade, as it is now ; just for show.

As to the Parliament Buildings themselves, just convert them into a library/museum/art gallery.

Throw the criminal federal government out, let the public in.

Edited by Dougie93

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Laugh it up.   I'm not alone in hating Canada, all my American friends and family hate what Canada has turned into, and many Canadians I know are feeling the hate too.

Doesn't mean we side with Daesh, Canadians are the terrorist huggers, we side with America, against the Canadian fifth column against the West.

I don't hate Canada but i hate much of what it's turned into, and I dislike some Canadians, but not others.  I'd rather dislike than hate.  My family is from the small towns which they helped build.  These people don't hug terrorists, they hunt deer.

I am not part of the fifth column, but i used to be, because that's what the schools and universities taught me to be. But I broke free of the brainwashing, because their mistake was that they taught me a little too much and i started figuring stuff out on my own.  Now i try to break others free too, mental jail-cells.  I don't hate the fifth column because they mean well and don't even realize the social rot they cause, I know this because I was one of them.  The path to evil is paved with good intentions.  They simply need their eyes opened to the harsh reality.

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

I don't hate Canada but i hate much of what it's turned into, and I dislike some Canadians, but not others.  I'd rather dislike than hate.  My family is from the small towns which they helped build.  These people don't hug terrorists, they hunt deer.

I am not part of the fifth column, but i used to be, because that's what the schools and universities taught me to be. But I broke free of the brainwashing, because their mistake was that they taught me a little too much and i started figuring stuff out on my own.  Now i try to break others free too, mental jail-cells.  I don't hate the fifth column because they mean well and don't even realize the social rot they cause, I know this because I was one of them.  The path to evil is paved with good intentions.  They simply need their eyes opened to the harsh reality.

Those who know why I hate the Post National State, should know that it is not directed at them.

Those who choose to rally around the Post National State, are not with us.

Those who hate it, don't take offense on its behalf.

All my friends and family in America know that there is a silent majority in Canada which is afraid to speak up.

They don't hate those people, they see 'Canada' as the tyrannical government, the silent majority they view as people caught behind the lines, being oppressed by the Liberals.

To Red Nation Americans, Canada is like the Iron Curtain : hate the Soviet Union, don't hate the Russian people.

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Those who know why I hate the Post National State, should know that it is not directed at them.

Those who choose to rally around the Post National State, are not with us.

Those who hate it, don't take offense on its behalf.

I can't hate my country, i can dislike the government, or the people who corrupt it and turn it into a post-national state, or refuse to teach history in schools etc.

35 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Confederation collapsing will make things better, not worse. Creative Destruction, but what is being destroyed is simply that which holds you and your family back Moonlight.

Embrace the End of Confederation, don't try to stop it, there is no reforming it. 

Humpty Dumpty is broken. All The Queen's Horses and All The Crown's Men, Can't Put Confederation Back Together Again.

He's Dead Jim.

Then what replaces it?

Just now, Moonlight Graham said:

I can't hate my country, i can dislike the government, or the people who corrupt it and turn it into a post-national state, or refuse to teach history in schools etc.

Canadian Confederation is not my country, and never actually was.

God, Queen, Country.   That Country being the House of Windsor.