Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?

Should Don Cherry Have Been Fired?  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

No one is arguing Rogers can't fire him, we are arguing it's a stupid idea, that you support.

If they fired him without a chance to clarify his statement, then I'd agree he shouldn't be fired. 

Both him and Ron Maclean were given the opportunity to apologize. One still has a job, one doesn't. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

I don't think they encouraged politically motivated tirades. They most certainly tolerated it. But no more. His treatment of the French and Europeans in the NHL is notorious. I guess the world finally left him behind. 

Do you ever get tired of lighting your hair on fire?  Don Cherry commented on his observation. Nothing racist/bigoted about that. This country has been 'pussified' . . .everyone like you view themselves as a victim.  Get over yourself. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

If they fired him without a chance to clarify his statement, then I'd agree he shouldn't be fired. 

Both him and Ron Maclean were given the opportunity to apologize. One still has a job, one doesn't. 

His job should not be contingent on an apology. He didn't do anything wrong, there is nothing to apologize for. People being upset for no reason is not something to apologize for.

Just now, Nefarious Banana said:

Do you ever get tired of lighting your hair on fire?  Don Cherry commented on his observation. Nothing racist/bigoted about that. This country has been 'pussified' . . .everyone like you view themselves as a victim.  Get over yourself. 

Yeah he's commenting on all the South Asians he sees in Mississauga nowadays that don't wear poppy's and he doesn't like it. Those ungrateful people contributing to society without sufficiently paying respect to veterans. 

And that has to do with Hockey how? 

We can watch on American streams, Rogers can suck a bag of dicks. If you don't want to watch him, don't watch him, stop with the supporting him being cancelled because you don't want to watch him.

Go for it. I suspect if you want to Watch the Leafs, they'll be showing the Rogers and/or TSN feed if it's a Canada only game. 

His job should not be contingent on an apology. He didn't do anything wrong, there is nothing to apologize for. People being upset for no reason is not something to apologize for.

In your opinion. Your opinion is clearly not representative of the Rogers viewership. 

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yeah he's commenting on all the South Asians he sees in Mississauga nowadays that don't wear poppy's and he doesn't like it. Those ungrateful people contributing to society without sufficiently paying respect to veterans. 

And that has to do with Hockey how? 

Did he mention "South Asians' . . . ?   Why are you trying to beat everyone over the head with your fucked-up assumption of what Don Cherry meant, rather than what he said.  Grow up fool.

8 minutes ago, Boges said:

Sounds like Cherry was ready to go.

So it's a win-win. :)

What we need is to be re-educated with 'liberal speak'

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/goldstein-we-all-need-a-liberal-re-education

We must be re-educated so we understand why Trudeau’s blackface scandal is forgivable — despite the fact he kept it secret for 18 years, thus lying even to his own party by omission, and only apologized after he got caught — but it’s unforgivable that Don Cherry said immigrants don’t show enough love for Canada because they don’t wear poppies leading up to Remembrance Day.

After all, without proper instruction, we in the great unwashed might conclude that both examples suggest racist thinking, and that if you condemn one, you should condemn the other.

9 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Did he mention "South Asians' . . . ?   Why are you trying to beat everyone over the head with your fucked-up assumption of what Don Cherry meant, rather than what he said.  Grow up fool.

I know where Cherry lives. Those are the people that are quickly becoming the majority population there. 

I could argue this has been coming for over 20 years. 

Which is just yet another sign that you've been an extremist in favor of cancel culture for over 20 years. If you don't like Don Cherry, don't watch him, stop supporting him being cancelled just because you don't like him.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Your opinion is not representative of Rogers viewership. You give them too much credit for making the correct business decision, instead of panicking in the face of an outrage mob.

I'm simply stating their right to do what they did. 

I'll continue to watch HNIC as long as the Leafs are competitive. I actually couldn't care less about Cherry anymore. His analysis is pretty rudimentary nowadays anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

It angered people with no good reason to be offended.

There you go again applying your own feels as facts.

Apparently, to many people, including immigrants, it was offensive to single out, stereotype, generalize, like a caricature of an old bigot guy would, is not cool on that platform given to him. They complained, SN noticed that it will hurt their pocket books, especially if he's not going to apologize, and now he's gone. SN made this decision and they had every right to do so. You don't agree with it, don't watch SN anymore and post frantically about how your feelings is the set standard of how everyone should feel.

I'm simply stating their right to do what they did. 

I'll continue to watch HNIC as long as the Leafs are competitive. I actually couldn't care less about Cherry anymore. His analysis is pretty rudimentary nowadays anyway. 

No one is arguing they had no right to do it, we are arguing it was a stupid move, so you can knock it off already.

9 minutes ago, scribblet said:

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnists/goldstein-we-all-need-a-liberal-re-education

We must be re-educated so we understand why Trudeau’s blackface scandal is forgivable — despite the fact he kept it secret for 18 years, thus lying even to his own party by omission, and only apologized after he got caught — but it’s unforgivable that Don Cherry said immigrants don’t show enough love for Canada because they don’t wear poppies leading up to Remembrance Day.

After all, without proper instruction, we in the great unwashed might conclude that both examples suggest racist thinking, and that if you condemn one, you should condemn the other.

It's simple. Trudeau apologized, Grapes didn't 

Had Grapes apologized he'd still have a job. 

If he didn't do anything wrong then perhaps TSN or NBC will hire him. :lol:

Edited by Boges

7 minutes ago, scribblet said:

JT apologized and described how it was wrong over and over. Cherry didn't and is not going to. Cannot be compared.

2 minutes ago, marcus said:

There you go again applying your own feels as facts.

Apparently, to many people, including immigrants, it was offensive to single out, stereotype, generalize, like a caricature of an old bigot guy would, is not cool on that platform given to him. They complained, SN noticed that it will hurt their pocket books, especially if he's not going to apologize, and now he's gone. SN made this decision and they had every right to do so. You don't agree with it, don't watch SN anymore and post frantically about how your feelings is the set standard of how everyone should feel.

Those people's opinions are not to be taken seriously. I don't care if their feelings are hurt for no reason, that is a dumb reason to fire someone. People looking to offended and cancel people they don't like for saying something they disagree with are bad people, they should all burn in hell.

Edited by Yzermandius19