The Hypocrisy of the "Scheer Should Step Down" Articles in the Media

CBC, CTV, National Post, Globe and Mail, etc all consider "should Scheer step down" to be a legitimate hot topic, but it's just one of their own making.

The very day after the election, right out of the blue, the CBC was already insinuating that Scheer stepping down was a serious consideration:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/conservative-leader-andrew-scheer-falls-shot-1.5329809

In his address to party supporters Monday, Scheer gave no indication that he would be resigning his position as leader.

The irony, the hypocrisy of this sentiment, stems from the fact that the CBC and CTV all acted like Trudeau was doing great. They acted like his scandals were no big deal. They constantly showed polling and interviewed "undecided voters" who said that "this seems like divisive party politics" or "it's not really a matter of importance to me".

If Trudeau was a legit PM, doing a good job, then why would they take the position that losing to Trudeau is a damning indictment of Scheer's ability to lead the CPC?

Scheer won the popular vote. He soundly throttled Traitor Max's PPC upstarts soundly. His party gained 22% more seats. And he did it all against a media that was solidly biased against him. 

Now that Trudeau has his shiny new election win in the bag the most serious political topic by far right now is whether or not the country is breaking apart.

Trudeau is out surfing while several more major corporations are deserting Alberta for good. It's like losing an SNC every other day.  Trudeau's re-election was a death blow to the Alberta economy but he still has no statement. 

This is not an actual country. It's a massive farce. It's time to break it into workable pieces.

Yeah, if anyone should step down it should be JT.  The SNC Lavalin affair, his treatment of his Attorney General over the same, the multiple blackface instances that only actually seem to matter if the wrong person is doing it, and his dismal performance in the general election.  Hell, if I performed like that at work I would have been on the dole a long time ago.

The media is now cross-examining Scheer (only Scheer) about the personal concepts of sin, why not ask them all whether they believe adultery is a sin and if they've ever done it?  That is, if the media is going to go full Salem witch hunt.     They don't ask Jagmeet Singh about his Sikhism and it's belief on abortion,  or Trudeau on his Catholicism, so this is harassment and media bias. 

Kudos I suppose to the OP for not blaming (barely) the left librul-media party deepstate for this state of affairs.  As the article notes dissatisfaction with governance via electoral voting as opposed to popular voting is pretty universal.

I note the article mentions the ancient nature of the geographical distribution of our representation.  In Canada's early days riding's were more or less determined by the distance a person could travel on horseback in a day hence the name.  Representing ourselves along this line of thinking reminds me of trying to measure things based on the length of some old monarchs big toe.

We need to modernize our governance and notwithstanding the issues that electoral reforms can bring I think the reason dissatisfaction still reigns supreme is the sheer inability of people to ensure their governments don't get captured by special interests.  To that end I still maintain the only recourse that hasn't AFAIK been tried anywhere is an end to in-camera lobbying. Do that and everything would change. Maybe to a new dystopia but that seems to be the way we roll as a species.

Edited by eyeball

22 hours ago, scribblet said:

The media is now cross-examining Scheer (only Scheer) about the personal concepts of sin, why not ask them all whether they believe adultery is a sin and if they've ever done it?  That is, if the media is going to go full Salem witch hunt.     They don't ask Jagmeet Singh about his Sikhism and it's belief on abortion,  or Trudeau on his Catholicism, so this is harassment and media bias. 

How many MP's are members of the United Church? I suspect a number of New Democrats. The United Church is against drinking alcohol and gambling. Will the media be grilling them about banning booze and the 649? 

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How many MP's are members of the United Church? I suspect a number of New Democrats. The United Church is against drinking alcohol and gambling. Will the media be grilling them about banning booze and the 649? 

No, and they won't grill Singh about Sikh beliefs on abortion.   

This one accuses Scheer of hiding behind his rosary beads?  Maybe Scheer should just throw some at the reporters, this is now open bigotry again Catholicism.  I’m not Catholic, I’m not religious but this is utterly tendentious drivel.   I didn't see anyone grilling Trudeau or previous PMs about their religion, or Muslim MPs about Islam beliefs on homosexuality, they wouldn't dare. 

Https://nationalpost.com/opinion/colby-cosh-it-may-be-too-bad-but-scheer-cant-just-brandish-his-beads-at-reporters

You can also support SSM and all the alphabet groups without marching in a raunchy parade that promotes left-wing cultural values and attitudes that are anti-police, anti-Semitic etc.

• Like 1

Anybody who has not supported PR looks a little desperate bringing up the fact of Scheer winning a plurality of the popular vote now. Under our current (antiquated) system Scheer clearly lost, even more so when you remember that he runs the only right-wing party in our parliament. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 4 weeks later...

Andrew Scheer is going. Good riddance.

This is a guy with no noticeable charisma, who at least stood for something. He was a social conservative. But then he turned his back on that for political reasons and tried to move so far over on the left his policies were virtually identical to the Liberals. He refused to denounce his social conservative views but nor could he defend them. He thus came across as a weak, dishonest weasel.  The Left called him a racist while the Right called him a cuck. Neither they nor anyone else considered him a strong leader, nor shrewd, nor a man of vision. There was simply no reason to vote for him other than to get rid of that moron currently in office.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/andrew-scheer-is-resigning-as-conservative-leader-1.4727310

• Like 1

Mr. Sheer has demonstrated the strength and wisedom to put the Party first. His greatest achievement for the CPC was to save us from Bernier who would have driven the Party to an extinction which would have made the Kim Campbell disaster look like a landslide by comparison.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Mr. Sheer has demonstrated the strength and wisedom to put the Party first. His greatest achievement for the CPC was to save us from Bernier who would have driven the Party to an extinction which would have made the Kim Campbell disaster look like a landslide by comparison.

Because he advocated for conservative policies, you mean?

12 minutes ago, Argus said:

More like he quit before he could be humiliated by losing the vote at the review.

No, he quit rather than allow  a very divisive time leading up to a review that could've torn the party apart.  This now leads the way for them to select someone who can beat Trudeau.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-resigns-1.5393803

Looks like it is so.  Trudeau should worry.

Social conservatives felt he wasn’t strong enough on issues like abortion during the campaign, while Red Tories felt he didn’t go far enough to distance himself from those issues.

Toronto Sun.

I just wish the Liberals would similarly implode along a similar split involving the environment. 

• Haha 1