Senate Reform

Trudeau has declared (affirmed) that he will unilaterally rewrite the Parliament of Canada Act to favour his party’s preferred Senate policy (while holding a minority of the seats) which  is many things but one thing it’s not is non-partisan. – it is  extremely undemocratic  but wannabee dictators do that.   ( I’m betting Ralph Goodale will be the first appointee).

However, an amendment to the Parliament of Canada Act can only be done by a Bill that has to go through the same routine as any other amendment to legislation, it cannot be done through an Order in Council, does Trudeau believe he can just order it to be so?   I'm pretty sure the Conservatives won't go for it, will the Bloc and NDP? 

Federal states usually have a second chamber. Some unitary states do as well but in their cases I truly don't understand the purpose of a second chamber. The most outrageous example being the British House of Lords. If that institution didn't exist nobody today would come up with an idea to establish it.

48 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Keep the Senate as is. Abolish the PMO. The position of PM is not a constitutional requirement so no messy amendments are needed. Just follow the constitution and have the Governor in Council.

Keep our rights endowed by the Creator.  Abolish Commie Canada.   The position of Canada is not a requirement so no tyrannical nanny state is needed. Just follow the American constitution and have the freedom from speech banning, gun grabbing and thought policing.

• Sad 1

What did Zeitgeist call it?  The Cultural Protectorate?

The Culture of the CBC state propaganda arm, propped up with American money and defended by the United States military.

Whoop dee doo, Basil.   Nothing to get choked up about.

Abolish the Senate? Indeed, and throw out the rest of this Eskimo Communist balderdash with it.

23 minutes ago, -TSS- said:

Why should you Canadians have any allegiance to an old woman who lives across a wide ocean?

Because the Queen is the country, take Her away, and they are just Americans without speech, gun and property rights.

Why should I have any allegiance to a Post National State fake country America without the American freedom to go with it?

Westminster Parliamentary Supremacy without the British Crown, is just a mob of ignominious traitors to their own doctrine.

Canada is not a republic and it never will be, fall back to the American republic if you want one.

The empty void of Post Nationalism is being filled by America by default? Too bad so sad, that is what Canadians chose.

I didn't leave Canada, Canada left me.

God save the Queen, because disloyal Canadians surely wont.

America loves Punk Rock.

Cast down the story of your people and deface your own legacy, fake ass Canadians.

See if we care, it's not our problem.

Vive le Republic du Quebec libre.

Edited by Dougie93

10 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I prefer a leader chosen by God, not some Putin, or Trump,  elected by voters. You underestimate the loyalty of Canadians to the Queen of Canada.

Lip service is not loyalty, no partisan loyalty but to the story of your people, no sovereign but Mother Canada, is not the reality of Canada today.

English Canada is entirely Americanized, partisan political tribalism.  Canadians are more obsessed with American politics now.

Trump Derangement Syndrome rules.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I prefer a leader chosen by God, not some Putin, or Trump,  elected by voters. You underestimate the loyalty of Canadians to the Queen of Canada.

There is no God.  Any leader purportedly chosen by God was actually originally chosen by men for their own ends, and henceforth by accident of birth.  The Queen is where she is because we allow it.  When we stop allowing it, she'll just be Mrs Windsor.

So it might as well be us that chooses our leaders as anyone else.

It has been said that monarchy is a system which doesn't work in theory but it works very well in practice. Therefore countries which Still have monarchies are quite pleased with that system of government.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Living embodiment of the story of my people, Glorious Revolution of 1688, Veteran of the Second World War at the head of Her troops,  heir to the throne of VRI.  <gang sign>

Yeah, I like her too.  Nevertheless...