Minority 2019

jacee

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-minority-government-1.5323901
Scheer said "we would expect that other parties would respect the fact that whichever party wins the most seats gets to form the government and that they will understand that if Canadians — when Canadians endorse our platform, we will have the right to implement it." 
""We're not going to ask other parties for support,"

HUNH?!?!?!?
How the hell is he going to implement the Conservative agenda with a minority - ie, without enough votes to pass even one piece of legislation - unless he seeks votes from other parties? 
He has no idea how minority government even works? Lol  Useless. And won't stand for the anthem for "all of us". Dumb & yuck factors really growing. 

So ... Liberal. 

I want to see unwhipped voting, issue by issue. : )
I think only major issues -budget, war?- are no confidence votes? 

I want to see EMay propose this legislation first chance:
Developing and implementing a just transition plan for workers in fossil fuel sectors, championed by a lead minister who oversees and reports on progress.

Who's gonna say no? : )

And ... 30% of fossil fuel subsidies shifted to transition and renewables.

That's all.

/end rant :)

Edited by jacee

I still think Liberals will win, but either way, Conservatives might win a Minority Government.

Now, what? NPD, LIberals will block whatever the Conservatives may try to pass, except if they are weak. We'll see. But I still think Trudeau will win.

1 hour ago, jacee said:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-minority-government-1.5323901
Scheer said "we would expect that other parties would respect the fact that whichever party wins the most seats gets to form the government and that they will understand that if Canadians — when Canadians endorse our platform, we will have the right to implement it." 
""We're not going to ask other parties for support,"

HUNH?!?!?!?
How the hell is he going to implement the Conservative agenda with a minority - ie, without enough votes to pass even one piece of legislation - unless he seeks votes from other parties? 
He has no idea how minority government even works? Lol  Useless. And won't stand for the anthem for "all of us". Dumb & yuck factors really growing. 

So ... Liberal. 

I want to see unwhipped voting, issue by issue. : )
I think only major issues -budget, war?- are no confidence votes? 

I want to see EMay propose this legislation first chance:
Developing and implementing a just transition plan for workers in fossil fuel sectors, championed by a lead minister who oversees and reports on progress.

Who's gonna say no? : )

And ... 30% of fossil fuel subsidies shifted to transition and renewables.

That's all.

/end rant :)

I’m not sure what you’re ranting about.  But all Scheer is saying is that he won’t compromise his values the way the Liberals and NDP will in order to achieve power.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Shady said:

I’m not sure what you’re ranting about.  But all Scheer is saying is that he won’t compromise his values the way the Liberals and NDP will in order to achieve power.

With a minority win, compromise is necessary to stay in power. But Scheer is saying that if Conservatives get the most seats, it's somehow their "right" to implement their agenda without seeking support of other parties to form a government that can survive a 'no confidence' vote. It's a ridiculously stupid response: A minority government has no "right" to implement it's agenda, but only the 'right' to seek enough support to do so. 

(And with a leader who petulantly sits and plays with his phone through the anthem because he doesn't think it should include women ...? Pubescent idiocy that disrespects and excludes half of the population deserves neither respect, "right" nor support to form a government, imo.) 

So regardless of which party gets the most seats in the minority scenario we are facing, it's already apparent that only Trudeau is capable of forming a government. 

Edited by jacee

8 minutes ago, jacee said:

He's saying that if Conservatives get the most seats, it's somehow their "right" to implement their agenda without seeking support of other parties to form a government that can survive a 'no confidence' vote and stay in power. It's a ridiculously stupid response: A minority government has no "right" to implement it's agenda, but only the 'right' to seek enough support to do so. 

He's virtue signaling to conservative rubes that he won't cuck if he wins a minority government. He doesn't actually believe it, he's just blowing sunshine up his voters asses to rally the base. Taking politicians at their word is laughably naive.

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

The lefties will all switch to the Liberals at the last moment,  to stop the bad old Tories who really aren't Tories but rather a bunch of cuckroaches.

That's been the past voting trend - big swings from majority Lib to Con or Con to Lib. But I sense a different mood among voters this time - a general lack of trust, a desire to strip them of majority power, make them work across party lines to hold government  together, hold them more accountable to the public: Parliamentary democracy at its  best. :)

30 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

He's virtue signaling to conservative rubes that he won't cuck if he wins a minority government. He doesn't actually believe it, he's just blowing sunshine up his voters asses to rally the base. Taking politicians at their word is laughably naive.

You're probably right, he's catering to alt-rights so he doesn't lose more votes to Bernier, but looking stupid doing it.

Unprogressive Conservatives courting the alt-right and the dinosaur fossil-fuel industries have made themselves irrelevant to mainstream society.

A Conservative minority can't survive. 

Edited by jacee
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, jacee said:

You're probably right, he's catering to alt-rights so he doesn't lose more votes to Bernier, but looking stupid doing it.

Unprogressive Conservatives courting the alt-right and the dinosaur fossil-fuel industries have made themselves irrelevant to mainstream society.

A Conservative minority can't survive. 

No. It's not about the alt-right, it's about convincing conservatives that he isn't just Liberal Lite, because he is just Liberal Lite. The alt-right like it too, but it's not about them. As usual you over-estimate how much of the Conservative base is far-right, because you see far-right white supremacists under every rock, and you think anyone to right of Fidel Castro is right wing.

Edited by Yzermandius19
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, jacee said:

(And with a leader who petulantly sits and plays with his phone through the anthem because he doesn't think it should include women ...? Pubescent idiocy that disrespects and excludes half of the population deserves neither respect, "right" nor support to form a government, imo.) 

Women are part of Mankind.

Canadian voters are generally liberal-lite so the the democratic course of action for anyone seeking to form a government is to be liberal-lite. Democratic values demand that government be a reflection of society. It is not the function of a politician to change the values of the voter but rather to try and implement the values of the voter. The voter is always right if you believe in democracy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacee said:

With a minority win, compromise is necessary to stay in power. But Scheer is saying that if Conservatives get the most seats, it's somehow their "right" to implement their agenda without seeking support of other parties to form a government that can survive a 'no confidence' vote. It's a ridiculously stupid response: A minority government has no "right" to implement it's agenda, but only the 'right' to seek enough support to do so. 

So regardless of which party gets the most seats in the minority scenario we are facing, it's already apparent that only Trudeau is capable of forming a government. 

Maybe he doesn’t care about staying in power.  Gasp!

4 hours ago, jacee said:

That's been the past voting trend - big swings from majority Lib to Con or Con to Lib. But I sense a different mood among voters this time - a general lack of trust, a desire to strip them of majority power, make them work across party lines to hold government  together, hold them more accountable to the public: Parliamentary democracy at its  best. :)

That's what the Kneedippers always say, then the Liberals win.

Good article clarifying the facts of Parliamentary democracy: 

"No, the party with the most seats doesn't always govern"

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scheer-trudeau-minority-government-2019-election-1.5324496

But if there is an unclear result on Oct. 21 — and if that result inspires a loud partisan campaign to question the legitimacy of certain outcomes — Canadians will need to understand what history has shown us about how the Canadian political system actually works. ... 

First: incumbent prime ministers or premiers remain in their positions until they resign.

Second: the government does not always end up being the party that holds the most seats in the legislature.

Scheer's "modern conventions" mean nothing. The law requires only that the governing party 'win the confidence of the majority' in the House of Commons. 

Trudeau, is already prepared to do that, in partnership with the NDP.

If Scheer sticks to his position that he won't partner with any other party, he has no chance of governing even if he wins more seats but still a minority. 

A majority government for either is extremely unlikely at this point. 

23 minutes ago, jacee said:

Women are not "sons".

Generally sons means 'all' in this case removing 'sons' is an insult to the war vets who fought for our freedoms

Trudeau is on record in 2015 as saying the party with the most seats should govern.

1 hour ago, jacee said:

Good article clarifying the facts of Parliamentary democracy: 

"No, the party with the most seats doesn't always govern"

It's all part and parcel of the total Americanization of Canada.

Canadians no longer reference Westminster, Canadians are obsessed with American politics to the point of losing themselves in it.

This is a result of the Liberals erasing the central narrative of Canadian history in the 1960s

The Liberals are the Americanization Party, they're just the farm team for the Democrats.

No more Queen, no more rule of law, just an Americanized People's Republic where anything goes, so long as Canadians get some meager handouts from Ottawa.

12 hours ago, Shady said:

Scheer has values?

So far the only thing like values he's expressed is his devotion to diversity, multiculturalism, and immigration - which he shares with all the other Left wing party leaders. So no fear of compromises there.

24 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's all part and parcel of the total Americanization of Canada.

Canadians no longer reference Westminster, Canadians are obsessed with American politics to the point of losing themselves in it.

This is a result of the Liberals erasing the central narrative of Canadian history in the 1960s

The Liberals are the Americanization Party, they're just the farm team for the Democrats.

No more Queen, no more rule of law, just an Americanized People's Republic where anything goes, so long as Canadians get some meager handouts from Ottawa.

Why all the hate for Canada and Canadians?  Constant and relentless, it's getting old very quickly.  It's obvious that you're unhappy with this country, so make a move. Go to Boston with your wife.  Visit Nevada when you can.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Why all the hate for Canada and Canadians?  Constant and relentless, it's getting old very quickly. 

It's the internet, it's everywhere, if you don't like it, you can leave anytime.

Obviously if I go so far as to disavow Canada, I've passed the point where offending Canadians is of any concern.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Canadian voters are generally liberal-lite

Canadians (outside Quebec) are more like conservative-lite. Elections are thrown off by the tribal voting of Quebec. Quebec virtually always votes for the Quebec guy, and only if none is available do they reluctantly vote for someone from 'Canada'. Trudeau has expressed the common Quebec sentiment several times, when he suggested Canada works best when a Quebecer is in charge (works best for Quebec), or even earlier when he said Quebec was the shepherd of Canada (which makes TROC the sheep). It's hardly a surprise that Quebecers are usually in charge because while Quebecers vote tribally the rest of us don't.

Harper is the only non-Quebecer in the last 50 years to be PM for any length of time, and he did it largely without any support from Quebec. First we had Trudeau for 15 years, then Mulroney for another 9, Chretian for another 11, then Paul Martin, who was half-french and basically lived and worked in Quebec for a couple of years.

11 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Obviously if I go so far as to disavow Canada, I've passed the point where offending Canadians is of any concern.

Speaking for myself, I take no offence for what you say, it's just uninteresting. It's all about you...when it should be all about me.