What to do about China

Argus

1 hour ago, Galloway said:

Here's something interesting.  This is a talk given by the ex-Greek minister of finance about how China is approaching Africa.   They are building/rebuilding African infrastructure with no strings attached.   They are building soft power.   

The interesting thing is Trump gleefully threw away the soft power the USA had in the area with his "shithole countries" remark.   He threw it all away just so he could impress his base by "powning the libs".   It's hard to imagine a more incompetent leader than Trump.

While I certainly agree Trump's reign was disastrous for US power around the world the idea China is rebuilding infrastructure throughout Africa without strings is painfully naïve. 

https://www.theafricareport.com/81857/africas-debt-dance-with-china-in-creating-the-belt-road-initiative/

On 8/9/2021 at 2:23 AM, Galloway said:

The only thing realistic thing Canada can do is clean up our own mess, and good on Trudeau for wanting to do that.   It would be great to see Canada as a world leader in this regard.

All Justin has done todate is say he was sorry to everything and anything, has he actually completed any of his promises to native Americans, not really. Canada does not even have a seat at the worlds leader table, let alone be a leader at anything except chirp the US for everything and totally turn a blind eye to our glorious past that is our national past time.

He's good at saying sorry just sucks at taking corrective action on any file..

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

All Justin has done todate is say he was sorry to everything and anything, has he actually completed any of his promises to native Americans, not really. Canada does not even have a seat at the worlds leader table, let alone be a leader at anything except chirp the US for everything and totally turn a blind eye to our glorious past that is our national past time.

He's good at saying sorry just sucks at taking corrective action on any file..

When has any Canadian government kept their promises to our indigineous peoples?  Sadly never, and that needs to change.    Sooooo....under what government was Canada all these things to do with world leaderhip?   What are you babbling about with "glorious past"?  The 72 Summit Series?   Canada's part in WWI and WWII?   Winning the 2010 Winter Olympics?  Residential Schools?  The Komagata Maru?  Japanese Internment camps?  Slavery?  

Under Trudeau, for the first time Canada is the most educated country in the world    (source: OECD)  I understand why the poorly educated will hate him for that, but the rest of us think that's an amazing accomplishment.

USNews has a sophisticated methodology for ranking countries.  Their full methodology is available on their website.  Under Trudeau, Canada has become the number one country in the world.   That's another amazing accomplishment.

Under Trudeau we've become the most educated country in the world, we've become the number one country overall in the world.   I can see why a jealous American would hate what Trudeau has done, but why would a patriotic Canadian hate these things?

3 hours ago, Argus said:

While I certainly agree Trump's reign was disastrous for US power around the world the idea China is rebuilding infrastructure throughout Africa without strings is painfully naïve. 

https://www.theafricareport.com/81857/africas-debt-dance-with-china-in-creating-the-belt-road-initiative/

The Africa Report won numerous awards a decade ago.  Now it seems sketchy af.  All the citations are internal,  nothing cited to reputable external sources.  It's wikipedia page is virtually non-existant.  Google doesn't list it on any media evaluation sites on the first couple of pages, which normally happens for reputable sources like The Fraser Institute.  The Cato Institute.  Etc

If all that is true, you should have no problem coming up with a better source.  I'll look forward to reading it.

Canada's relevance to the world with regards to "soft power", "hard power", "seat at the table", peacekeeping, UN influence, "responsibility to protect", etc., etc.,  has been seriously eroded during Trudeau's tenure as prime minister.    Trudeau's personal and PMO failures for several files have created a leadership and policy vacuum that will not easily be filled any time soon.

China will continue to treat Canada like a chew toy as long as Justin Trudeau continues his woke reign of virtue signaling for Canada as a "post national" state.   The common denominator has been Trudeau and his government, regardless of what the Americans do or don't do (Obama, Trump, or Biden).

The Americans are not responsible for a Canada that refuses to be responsible for itself.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Galloway said:

When has any Canadian government kept their promises to our indigineous peoples?  Sadly never, and that needs to change.    Sooooo....under what government was Canada all these things to do with world leaderhip?   What are you babbling about with "glorious past"?  The 72 Summit Series?   Canada's part in WWI and WWII?   Winning the 2010 Winter Olympics?  Residential Schools?  The Komagata Maru?  Japanese Internment camps?  Slavery?  

Under Trudeau, for the first time Canada is the most educated country in the world    (source: OECD)  I understand why the poorly educated will hate him for that, but the rest of us think that's an amazing accomplishment.

USNews has a sophisticated methodology for ranking countries.  Their full methodology is available on their website.  Under Trudeau, Canada has become the number one country in the world.   That's another amazing accomplishment.

Under Trudeau we've become the most educated country in the world, we've become the number one country overall in the world.   I can see why a jealous American would hate what Trudeau has done, but why would a patriotic Canadian hate these things?

I guess that makes it ok then, no other government has kept any promises. Pretty much the same excuse could be made to every major problem our nation has had, Indigenous people file , not only on all the treaty rights and grievances, but also in court about various things and refusing to implement UN recommendations.  fighting Veterans in court, Housing file, infra structure file, military file, the rest of our security depts, Education, health care...to name a few...and on most of it all we have is SORRY they are asking more than we can give right now...

I never mentioned glories past in my post, you mentioned Canada could become a world leader on cleaning up it's own mess...My point was exactly what you so elegantly pointed out we have done little to nothing on the world stage for decades...why would you assume we would be a world leader at anything.

Canada is the most educated in the world, beating out Russia by a pubic hair...OK kudo's, but show me all the policies Justin has passed to make this happen. show me how this is directly connected to the liberals.  Their are none, Justin was in power when our number came up...And just one question are they counting all the foreign students that get their education here none of the sources say...almost 700 K foreigners attend. 

And yet every source is not the same in most Russia is not even mentioned...

Most Educated Countries In The World 2021 | University Magazine

Again show us the policies or directives that show a direct connection to the liberals, that made us the number one country in the world. which gets us what exactly... Well it gives the liberals something to chirp about.

Trust me Americans don't give a rats ass about Canada, or Justin, And i'm not an American nor a patriotist, and while they may be shiny awards, something for Canadians to brag about they don't do anything for the country...Nor do they solve any major or minor issues we have as a nation.

• 1 year later...

One can say it’s too little too late etc. but this is surely a move in the right direction. 

Canada has ordered China to immediately sell its holdings in three Canadian mining companies, as the need for investments in the extraction of critical minerals clashes with growing concerns over national security.

Critical minerals and metals include lithium, cadmium, nickel and cobalt. They are essential for clean energy technologies, including turbines and electric cars and solar panels. They are also a necessary part of laptop computers and rechargeable batteries.

Relations between China and Canada have remained tense since the arrests of the Huawei executive Meng Wenzhou, and the Canadian businessmen Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in 2018. Recent reports that China is operating covert police stationsinside Canada, prompting an investigation by federal police, has further chilled relations.

www.theguardian.com

Canada orders China to divest from country’s mining companies

Move comes after ‘multi-step’ review by Canada’s national security and intelligence agencies
www.theguardian.com www.theguardian.com

Just now, SpankyMcFarland said:

One can say it’s too little too late etc. but this is surely a move in the right direction. 

Canada has ordered China to immediately sell its holdings in three Canadian mining companies, as the need for investments in the extraction of critical minerals clashes with growing concerns over national security.

Critical minerals and metals include lithium, cadmium, nickel and cobalt. They are essential for clean energy technologies, including turbines and electric cars and solar panels. They are also a necessary part of laptop computers and rechargeable batteries.

Relations between China and Canada have remained tense since the arrests of the Huawei executive Meng Wenzhou, and the Canadian businessmen Michael Kovrig and Michael Spavor in 2018. Recent reports that China is operating covert police stationsinside Canada, prompting an investigation by federal police, has further chilled relations.

www.theguardian.com

Canada orders China to divest from country’s mining companies

Move comes after ‘multi-step’ review by Canada’s national security and intelligence agencies
www.theguardian.com www.theguardian.com

This appears to be a concerted effort driven by the US, and remarkably little deviation between the previous and current administration.