What to do about China

Argus

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. None ?  Overstatement.
https://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/canada/two-thirds-of-canadians-say-carbon-tax-will-affect-their-vote-poll-321564/

2. Hard to imagine Canadians wondering why the deficit went up.
3. Another patriot who hates Canadians I see.  Ok.

It was an over statement, again 2/3 of Canadians said yes, like i said they will say anything but it is putting their mouth where their wallet is not really, Conservative support sits at 31 % and i doubt many support Justins carbon taxes, so you are implying the rest of the parties are firmly behind Justins taxes. i doubt that as well. And we will see how much support it has once Justin increase it by 5 times...to $170.00 per ton by 2030, but under the old plan it was only to increase by 10.00 per per year until 2030 Here’s where the federal parties stand on the carbon tax - National | Globalnews.ca

Canadians don't care what it costs the country if they are getting their share, but wait until the bill comes in thats going to be another story.. Liberal support will fall...

I don't hate Canadians Michael,  I just think they are predictable, that they need a scape goat for everything, normally the US or Trump will do... and when it's not them then who Michael, it's going to be Justin and the liberals... As for me being a patriot , I was a patriot for 34 years Michael, and in that time this country has done very little for it's military or it's vets, Canadian citizens silence speaks volumes,  time for someone else to take the flag. How about you Michael you a patriot, or just the guy that  points his fingers and makes assumptions...    

11 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

1. I don't hate Canadians Michael,  I just think they are predictable, that they need a scape goat for everything   

2. about you Michael you a patriot, or just the guy that  points his fingers and makes assumptions...    

1. & 2. Don't compute for me.

23 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Harper did nothing to address climate change, not that Trudeau has done much better.

As long as you're voting for the 'winning' side . . . . . you can call yourself a winner too.  Justin is your boy . . . be proud! To turn the country upside down over climate change at this time is ludicrous.  To import oil while we sit on our own, again . . . ludicrous.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

As long as you're voting for the 'winning' side . . . . .  

Your zero-sum, no compromise, no admission of openness to compromise politics is heavily retarded.

A story comes up that TRUDEAU IS ASKING CHINA TO COOPERATE WITH OUR MILITARY blots out any nuance, any complexity, any possibility that we should be asking questions from accredited sources.  

Conservatives used to be the ones we'd count on to ground us and now they use the conspiracy catnip to get the tinfoil people to RAGE-VOTE for them.   

Kill this politics, now.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Kill this politics, now.

The worst thing about it is that the starting point is that somebody (the "other" side usually) is evil, ridiculous, stupid, blinded by some ideology that is in no way practical and that they are the wrong kind of person to be in power.  The replacement is the 'right' kind of person.  Simple.

It's perfect for low common denominator discussion because you don't have to get into boring or subtle examinations of numbers, cause/effect and so on.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

A story comes up that TRUDEAU IS ASKING CHINA TO COOPERATE WITH OUR MILITARY blots out any nuance, any complexity, any possibility that we should be asking questions from accredited sources.  

Conservatives used to be the ones we'd count on to ground us and now they use the conspiracy catnip to get the tinfoil people to RAGE-VOTE for them.   

Kill this politics, now.

One has to admit, just the idea of having any military connections with China is a terrible idea.

The Liberals, NDP have become masters at this type of politics as well, look at the campaign they were involved with that tore apart Scheer's character by planting the idea that his religious back ground would some how threaten his choices on LGBT community and the abortion ideas, the media took that all the way to the bank.. 

3 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

How do you suggest we ensure future generations have viable petroleum, coal and iron resourses?

Canada has the 3 rd largest oil reserves in the world, and we have actually stop searching for new sources like off shores or the high artic... Coal Canada is full of it, much of that industry was killed by environmentalists, not sure why you think future generations will run out..

Just now, Army Guy said:

1. One has to admit, just the idea of having any military connections with China is a terrible idea.

2. The Liberals, NDP have become masters at this type of politics as well, look at the campaign they were involved with that tore apart Scheer's character by planting the idea that his religious back ground would some how threaten his choices on LGBT community and the abortion ideas, the media took that all the way to the bank.. 

1.  I can admit that it SOUNDS like a terrible idea, but I have only a small amount of understanding of military policy in the international context.  Given that TWO separate Ministers of Defence (at least) in two governments approved it, I recognize that there must be some advantage to it.
2.  "Took it to the bank" meaning they reported the attack ?  Do you want the media to suppress political attacks ?  I would rather reduce the appetite for knee-jerk reactions to things.  

And - yes - there is as much of this on the Liberal/Left side of the equation.  There are, in fact, things that we should agree to be horrified by, that is to say to have a MORAL response and say "no we're not talking about this".

True racism would be one area, but not "let's chat about our immigration levels".  

Cleaning up the emotional knee-jerkness in our politics is the job of people who discuss politics openly and frequently, ie. us.  And it's our job to clean up our own corner of the political closet.  Nobody on the left is going to listen to you, AG, if you say that Scheer is being attacked unfairly but they will listen to people closer to their politics.

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1.  I can admit that it SOUNDS like a terrible idea, but I have only a small amount of understanding of military policy in the international context.  Given that TWO separate Ministers of Defence (at least) in two governments approved it, I recognize that there must be some advantage to it.
2.  "Took it to the bank" meaning they reported the attack ?  Do you want the media to suppress political attacks ?  I would rather reduce the appetite for knee-jerk reactions to things.  

And - yes - there is as much of this on the Liberal/Left side of the equation.  There are, in fact, things that we should agree to be horrified by, that is to say to have a MORAL response and say "no we're not talking about this".

True racism would be one area, but not "let's chat about our immigration levels".  

Cleaning up the emotional knee-jerkness in our politics is the job of people who discuss politics openly and frequently, ie. us.  And it's our job to clean up our own corner of the political closet.  Nobody on the left is going to listen to you, AG, if you say that Scheer is being attacked unfairly but they will listen to people closer to their politics.

1. I think history has shown us, that not every idea coming out of government is a good one, I think the CDS was given a choice or strong advice by our allied militaries chain of  command get off that bus or find yourself out in the cold.. Every western nation has China as the number one threat to their security.  

2. No they did not report it instead they seen it as a way to sell the news and took advantage of it... i mean any one could have seen in todays world the chances of over turning or out right canceling any policies or laws on both topics would have been a political killer to any government, instead they feed the beast and let everyone's imagination run wild.

Taking a moral stand on any topic does not come very often in Canada, climate change is one topic, and yet no one has stood up and asked why we are not doing much to reduce levels... one other example was when that chick convicted of murder was sent to a healing lodge, and most if not all Canadians stood up and asked WTF, within a week she was back in a jail house... I think for the most part Canadians keep to their own bubble and could not be bothered with all the moral infractions going on around us...

I wish both sides could have a calm and serious talk about any topic, but today the sides are not wiling to budge on any topic, agree with me or your the enemy end of story ... and i can understand what your saying about cleaning up our area, but i think those that are on here to start with are passionate about politics and it is very hard to stay open minded when your views are under attack. I think perhaps we could all use some debating technics to achieve a better forum. just don't expect any of us to hug a liberal, we are not ready for that yet. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Cleaning up the emotional knee-jerkness in our politics is the job of people who discuss politics openly and frequently

I guess you will have to take up your concerns with the Prime Minister.

4 hours ago, Army Guy said:

wish both sides could have a calm and serious talk about any topic, but today the sides are not wiling to budge on any topic, agree with me or your the enemy end of story .

My point about the PM is that HE is at the top of the political food-chain, if you will. You can't be bigger than that. All the stuff runs downhill from there.

Of course, anyone is free to proselytize like some guru about love and peace. Then lash out at anyone else who thinks different... retarded ideas.

• Like 1

Now back to subject.
What to do about China? Let's ask the Australians what they think!

“We are an open-trading nation, mate, but I’m never going to trade our values in response to coercion from wherever it comes.”

Prime Minister Scott Morrison on Sydney radio station 2GB in June 2020

Edited by OftenWrong
  • Like 1

On 12/21/2020 at 8:43 PM, OftenWrong said:

Now back to subject.
What to do about China? Let's ask the Australians what they think!

Here is what the Australians think, Canada liberal government is weak and woke !!!!!

China potentially building ‘military base’ 200km off Australian coast: Bernardi - YouTube

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/21/2020 at 11:45 AM, Michael Hardner said:

Good enough for me-

The Department of National Defence has confirmed China’s People’s Liberation Army was indeed on Canadian soil in February of 2018 for the Canadian Armed Forces winter training exercises.

But DND insists they were there merely as observers.

Communist Chinese troops observed military exercises on Canadian soil

As you see this already happened. It seems very plausable that China would like to do training exercises here. It seems plausible too, that Mr. Trudeau would let them.

Nobody is rage voting, I think. TBH, my riding is so polarized I need not even vote. Wasn't no way smilin Andy was gonna win, no how. That's why we got him again for PM.

Looser

1 hour ago, OftenWrong said:

As you see this already happened. It seems very plausible that China would like to do training exercises here. It seems plausible too, that Mr. Trudeau would let them.

As was mentioned by a caller on the Roy Green show . . . . Would the Chicago Blackhawks invite the Toronto Maple Leafs to practice with them?

• Haha 1

At Kap-Yong, the Canadian Army fought the Communist Chinese to a draw with a 1-100 kill ratio. That conflict never ended and we're still technically at war with Mao's regime. But, yeah...let's pretend none of that happened. The Reds are our friends!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kapyong