Max Bernier tore it up in the CBC debate

57 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Wow, he absolutely wrecked every candidate one after one, attack after attack. Mumbling Trudeau was absolutely hammered.

I underestimated the charisma and intelligence of Bernier.

He's really a threat to the establishment it seems.

But do you want to split the conservative vote?  If he was the Conservative leader, Trudeau wouldn’t stand a chance.  

29 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

But do you want to split the conservative vote?  If he was the Conservative leader, Trudeau wouldn’t stand a chance.  

By rights and if the lacklustre support for Conservatives around here is anything to judge by shouldn't Andrew Scheer be asked the same thing about splitting the right wing vote?

Lead, follow or get out of the way.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 1

What is most frustrating in these debates is the unwillingness to say anything of substance.  I wanted to hear new ideas, but Trudeau is just more Trudeau and Scheer is just more Harper.  Between the two, it’s Scheer, but there’s nothing new in either platform.  May and Singh are predictably unrealistic and ideological.   Bernier was the most low key and polite, with the most unique things to say and the least opportunity to say them. I may disagree with some of his views but I want to hear them.  If Scheer wins he will be easily emasculated by the left, as Ford has been in Ontario.  Basically nothing changed in Ontario and nothing will change in Canada.  

• Like 2

I thought Singh won the Debate by a long stretch!

Trudeau was terrible.  Surprised he basically said he was going to challenge Bill 21.

Sheer did poorly, except for 2 moments.  _ The Trudeau wears a mask to pretend moment and the suggestion Trudeau should run for the Ontario Liberal leadership

Seems they all oppose bill 21. 

I dont see what the big deal is.  If it doesnt interfere with their jobs then who cares?  

Quebec is very stiff on outsiders though.  Last time I was there they were very rude when they found out I dont speak very fluent french( I was born in Ontario but my parents came from Italy)

They were much nicer over in Ottawa.   Very friendly people there.  People would stop to say hello to me while I walked on the street.  You don't see that in Toronto.  

OMFG, 9 minutes in Lisa LaFlamme just tries to completely skewer Max Bernier over some tweets.

Tweets.

I sure hope that she throws some of Trudeau's actual laundry list of scandals back in his face later in the debate.

Actual scandals. That the CTV always manages to diminish.

• Like 1

Trudeau pissing away votes in Quebec to virtue signal about Bill 21 is pretty hilarious and politically inept. He's still probably too far ahead in Quebec for it to cost him the election, but seems like a net negative nonetheless. Liberal Minority looking slightly more likely than a Liberal Majority.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1)Singh is an idiot. He just can't stay on topic at all and he came across as a divisive liar.

2)May is a catastrophe that's not waiting to happen because even climate-first Canadians know she's a loser.

3)Bernier was put on the spot [crucifix] but did well for himself but he didn't get much of a plan out there.

4)Trudeau started out strong but the last 45 minutes of the debate he got throttled. Looked flustered, couldn't win any debates. And lol - b21 - I'm the only candidate who's leaving the door open to fighting b-21. WTF does that mean?

Trudeau: "Hey skinny grabby dude, stop grabbing my gf's butt or I might consider an altercation!"

Skinny, grabby dude: "Heyyyyy,  easy tough guy. I'm just gonna get my babies all up inside of her and then you can have her back."

5)Scheer didn't start out well but finished really strong imo. Stayed consistent on his points and it's bizarre that the other leaders can't understand his fundamentally democratic positions like "I'm personally not in favour of that but I know that the majority of Canadians are [or Quebecers] are so I won't try to change it". Eg, abortion and b21.

6)I think that Mr Bloc would be a really great speaker in french. He actually does well in english but it takes him too long to say anything. He should have hammered Trudeau on c21 more. He could have won Quebec.

6 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

6)I think that Mr Bloc would be a really great speaker in french. He actually does well in english but it takes him too long to say anything. He should have hammered Trudeau on c21 more. He could have won Quebec.

Giving Trudeau the kid gloves treatment on that was a missed opportunity for the Bloc for sure.

I didn't get to see it all, but what I did see held few surprises.  Trudeau continued to show himself as an arrogant idiot, Scheer still seems to lack any testes or life experience - Singh actually carried himself well for the slimey ambulance chaser that he is - landing that fabulous "Mr. Delany and Mr. Deny" punch, Bernier was predictably the only mature, intelligent and reasonable person there, May did not surprise by breaking out of here wingnut niche and Blanchet made it crystal clear that the Bloc is in no way tolerating sovereignty.  It was hillarious to see the bloody lot of them pader to PQ by tiptoing around SNC and 21.

12 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Wow, he absolutely wrecked every candidate one after one, attack after attack. Mumbling Trudeau was absolutely hammered.

Wow he did not. No one tore anyone up. The debate format was a disaster and it allowed Trudeau to talk over anyone trying to make a sound bite at his expense. The result of last night was noise. Nothing else. Your partisan love is showing. If anyone benefitted it was the Bloc. The fact that Bernier interrupted a lot with noise does not mean anything. If anything the only image improved was Singh's for anyone that does not know him,

The format and moderators were awful, particularly Delacourt, not sure if she was sober...   however.   IMO Singh did very well, with Scheer a close second, he got a couple of good zingers in, particularly ' There is a vacancy for the Ontario leadership'.    Good thing I didn't agree to have a drink every time Trudeau said Harper or Ford  ;)

Trudeau straight up lied about the G & M report, and his Twitter account has been in non stop attack mode since the debate. 

• Like 3

The format was chaotic, preventing any serious discussion of any issue. Barton tried to stay on top of them and prevent heckling but not all the moderators were as successful. Scheer took a leaf out of JT’s book, interrupting all over the place and reducing the proceedings to noise at several points. He should probably should not have got as animated with Bernier which only raised the guy’s significance. Bernier made some interesting points in a rather academic way but for someone looking for votes in right-wing anglophone Canada his accent remains heavy and he makes the occasional grammatical error. He’s certainly no orator and does not come across well on TV. Singh brought much needed humour to the occasion and seemed comfortable in the format. Blanchet was excellent in English - those francophones put us to shame - and got in a few zingers. May did OK. Overall I’d say Trudeau would be happy enough with such a melee although Singh did better than expected. It would be nice to see the debate points continued online. Three debates might have done the issues justice. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

15 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I laughed when Singh told Benier he shouldn't be there. Singh's comments to Bernier about his views being bad for Canada shows a difference in Singh's beliefs that an immigration policy that brings in as many of his culture to this country and Bernier 's views which is to Make Canada Great Again ! 

Bernier did not speak much but made sense when he did...the moderators allowed others to interrupt him for lengthy periods.

And Trudeau with ... the 900K he brought out of poverty? He must be referring to refugees!! And I think he put 900K Canadian TAXPAYERS into poverty!

And May with .... "I've been in that restaurant" lol Elizabeth May once again proves she is an idiot.  

Trudeau set out to do what he was told to do, scream over everyone to block sound bites that could be used against him. None of them debated.  They screamed over each other. That is a direct failure of the moderators and having too many individuals on the podium.

Sheer could not say what he was in favour of. The format made that impossible. It drowned everyone out. Singh used it the best knowing it was noise and strategically sounding calm and getting in his scripted zingers but  not engaging in the screaming. You can't expect people to hear when everyone talks at once. What a disaster.

2 minutes ago, Teena said:

I laughed when Singh told Benier he shouldn't be there. Singh's comments to Bernier about his views being bad for Canada shows a difference in Singh's beliefs that an immigration policy that brings in as many of his culture to this country and Bernier 's views which is to Make Canada Great Again ! 

Bernier did not speak much but made sense when he did...the moderators allowed others to interrupt him for lengthy periods.

And Trudeau with ... the 900K he brought out of poverty? He must be referring to refugees!! And I think he put 900K Canadian TAXPAYERS into poverty!

And May with .... "I've been in that restaurant" lol Elizabeth May once again proves she is an idiot.  

I disagree with Bernier  but he had the absolute right to be there and he did get his views across. He also handled himself at the scrum after. Singh's moral preaching was a deliberate tactic to try get Liberal votes. In reality he is happy Max was there. He knows people who vote for Max would most likely come from the Tories-his little show was for leftists and moderates.