Fact checking sites

dialamah

I thought it might be useful to have a list of the fact-checking sites people use or like the best.  There's quite a few out there, and while they don't always agree, I think they're great tools to double check one's own sources and biases.   Here some I regularly use:

Media Bias Fact Check - I use this one so often I bought a subscription.

Rational Wiki - good for debunking stupid ideas, as it's not neutral; their goal is "Analyzing and refuting pseudoscience and the anti-science movement; Documenting the full range of crank ideas; Explorations of authoritarianism and fundamentalism; Analysis and criticism of how these subjects are handled in the media."   

Snopes - pretty sure most people know about this one.

Politifact - American politics.

Factscan - Specifically for Canadian politics.  I just found this one, Media Bias Fact Check gives it a "least biased" rating, so thought it was worthwhile adding it to the list.

Any others?

Edited by dialamah
Type

Fact checking sites aren't the final answer, they are a tool to be used with your own critical thinking skills, to reduce the likelihood that you will be someone's patsy, spreading false news, divisiveness, hatred and, ultimately, violence.  Use a couple or more on any given topic, and you'll come out better informed even if your mind isn't changed.  

I get that if you prefer the kind of news that hits your emotional buttons and validates your existing biases, then fact-checking isn't in the cards for you.  For people interested in information, accurate news and facts, these sites can be very useful.  

4 minutes ago, dialamah said:

......I get that if you prefer the kind of news that hits your emotional buttons and validates your existing biases, then fact-checking isn't in the cards for you.  For people interested in information, accurate news and facts, these sites can be very useful.  

You are free to impute your own fantasies onto other people I suppose. 

It's not like sites like snopes don't source their facts. And nobody who tries to discredit them has ever come up with an example of the sites providing false information. They have usually just been butthurt for being caught in a lie one too many times so all they have left is to deny verifiable truth as liberal bias.

• Like 1

Instead of fact check sites, it would be much better to have a site as my project below. I still cant find time to write its codes. People should be able to make a claim (this is what happens each time when people talks to each other) and everyone should be able to write their idea based on a source below it.

For example if I start a topic and make a claim as "Canada is a satellite of Britain", people who agrees with it should make their comment at the left side of the page and who disagrees should make their comment at the right side of the page and everyone could see which side outweights with some satisfying answers. In this way we could also prevent information to loss and people could get rid of talking the same things over and over again. 

Edited by Altai

19 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Free speech and expression rights trump fact checking "sites".

What kind of slime champions lies and ignorance over honesty and knowledge?

21 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Where was the hue and cry for "fact checking" when the left pursued its agenda years ago ?

Where is the right now?  Championing lies and ignorance.  You have no moral high ground here. 

Maybe try being a better person instead of pointing fingers.  Oh but wait - Trumpsters don't think they should have to be better people, so long as they can tell lies and point fingers. 

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

What kind of slime champions lies and ignorance over honesty and knowledge?

The same kind of "slime" who wrote the U.S. Constitution.

Where is the right now?  Championing lies and ignorance.  You have no moral high ground here.

Moral high ground is for losers who continue losing.

Maybe try being a better person instead of pointing fingers.  Oh but wait - Trumpsters don't think they should have to be better people, so long as they can tell lies and point fingers. 

Looks real good on anti-Trumpsters like Justin Trudeau right now.   Fact check that.

• Like 2

Just now, bush_cheney2004 said:

The same kind of "slime" who wrote the U.S. Constitution.

Really?  Your founding fathers preferred fake news, deliberate lies and ignorance over knowledge, honesty and facts?  They thought it was awesome that Americans should believe just any old thing that came down the pike, and that they should not make any effort to know what they were talking about?  They thrilled to the idea of newspapers that told outright lies?  I find that hard to believe.  Do you have proof?

1 minute ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Moral high ground is for losers who continue losing.

Ok, that explains why you think you have the moral high ground.

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Looks real good on anti-Trumpsters like Justin Trudeau right now.   Fact check that.

Who the F cares about Trudeau?  I don't; I'm merely interested in doing my part to reduce the general cretinism on social media sites like this one.

2 minutes ago, dialamah said:

Really?  Your founding fathers preferred fake news, deliberate lies and ignorance over knowledge, honesty and facts?  They thought it was awesome that Americans should believe just any old thing that came down the pike, and that they should not make any effort to know what they were talking about?  They thrilled to the idea of newspapers that told outright lies?  I find that hard to believe.  Do you have proof?

Yes.

Ok, that explains why you think you have the moral high ground.

I have never claimed any moral high ground....and this not about me.   Personal attacks only weaken your position.

Who the F cares about Trudeau?  I don't; I'm merely interested in doing my part to reduce the general cretinism on social media sites like this one.

Again, freedom of speech and expression are protected rights.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

And how, exactly, does fact-checking claims or news stories impinge on "freedom of speech and protection", pray tell?  

I never posted that they did...you have jumped to such a conclusion to suit an agenda.

Both can co-exist as protected speech/expression.

Defend and protect both.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

I never posted that they did...you have jumped to such a conclusion to suit an agenda.

Both can co-exist as protected speech/expression.

Defend and protect both.

Your first post clearly stated that "free speech trumps facts".  And then you swiped at the left.

I accept your backtracking, and glad that you've decided that truth and facts are worth pursuing, regardless of one's political ideology.

2 minutes ago, BubberMiley said:

I think the point of the thread is more of interest to people who are looking for the truth, regardless of which political side it favours.

Maybe, but stamping out "ignorance" or "cretinism" tilts toward another included agenda.

Only looking for the "truth" ignores many other layers of private, commercial, and political speech/expression.

As others have stated above, many "fact checking" sites have their own bias and agenda.

1 minute ago, dialamah said:

Your first post clearly stated that "free speech trumps facts".  And then you swiped at the left.

Because they do....freedom of speech/expression are protected rights.    Facts are just facts.    The left was not pursued so vigorously with "facts" in the past, so why the heightened interest if not for perceived threats to their media protected bubble ?

I accept your backtracking, and glad that you've decided that truth and facts are worth pursuing, regardless of one's political ideology.

I did not backtrack....you made an incorrect association/conclusion.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Because they do....freedom of speech/expression are protected rights.    Facts are just facts.    The left was not pursued so vigorously with "facts" in the past, so why the heightened interest if not for perceived threats to their media protected bubble ?

Because the president and his party have taken blatant, outright lying to a stratospheric new level. But so what, right?

Just now, BubberMiley said:

Because the president and his party have taken blatant, outright lying to a stratospheric new level. But so what, right?

Correct...but this is hardly new.

What is different is that new media has democratized national and global speech/expression, and a president took advantage of this development, just like the one prior to him.

So now the political and culture wars have been enjoined by "fact checking" sites, which have their own agenda as well.

Oh look...Russians !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Snopes said it was more important to say the right values than the right information.

That alone delegitimizes them completely as a 'fact check' website.

When something goes against a Dem/Libtard, it's always a 'mixed' or 'pants on fire' even if the explanation says it's true.