Trudeau is now revealed a racist too?

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

This is Trudeau's finest hour...has nothing to do with Trump or Democrats or the history of blackface in America.

But it is amazing to see how much 'murican culture and politics influence political discourse in Canada...yet again.

Why can't Trudeau and his actions be judged by "Canadian values" alone ?

Our culture and our news media is so heavily influenced by and inundated with American culture that talking about Canadian politics without making references to the US is like separating siamese twins sometimes (is that an offensive/derogatory term now?). There are lots of relevant comparables there for us to allude and to for our comparisons to be understood. If I compared Trudeau to the Premier of PEI nobody would have a clue wth I was talking about. If I compare him to Hillary people would make the connection instantly.

Sure we don't have the same history with African discrimination that the US does but we don't just conveniently separate ourselves from America and then call them brothers on a topic-by-topic basis. The issue of slavery isn't as big here but we aren't off on a island where we can pretend that people of African descent here are ignorant to it or unaffected by the topic. Wearing blackface here is pretty much as bad as it is there, but I'm personally not into painting everyone who does something with the same brush. IE, I was ok with Trudeau being naive, stupid and wearing blackface. I'm not ok with "acting like an ape" blackface at all.

By Canadian values alone, "acting like an ape wearing blackface" is indefensible and inexcusable. Not even diehard Libs will back him on that if it's true. I'll be surprised if the talk of resignation isn't front-and-center.

14 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Our culture and our news media is so heavily influenced by and inundated with American culture that talking about Canadian politics without making references to the US is like separating siamese twins sometimes (is that an offensive/derogatory term now?). There are lots of relevant comparables there for us to allude and to for our comparisons to be understood. If I compared Trudeau to the Premier of PEI nobody would have a clue wth I was talking about. If I compare him to Hillary people would make the connection instantly.

This seems very peculiar to a non-Canadian.   Are you saying that Trudeau's "brownface/blackface" predicament would be much less so were it not for American culture and politics ?   I agree that the USA has often provided universal translation and understanding for disparate parts of Canada that would otherwise be clueless to each other.  But they all know what The Brady Bunch was/is....or pet Negroes on shows like Diff'rent Strokes .

Sure we don't have the same history with African discrimination that the US does but we don't just conveniently separate ourselves from America and then call them brothers on a topic-by-topic basis. The issue of slavery isn't as big here but we aren't off on a island where we can pretend that people of African descent here are ignorant to it or unaffected by the topic. Wearing blackface here is pretty much as bad as it is there, but I'm personally not into painting everyone who does something with the same brush. IE, I was ok with Trudeau being naive, stupid and wearing blackface. I'm not ok with "acting like an ape" blackface at all.

Which is exactly my point...Canada does have its own, long and sordid history with Africans and those of African descent regardless of what happened in the United States.   But it is the American narrative and comparisons that dominate yet again.

By Canadian values alone, "acting like an ape wearing blackface" is indefensible and inexcusable. Not even diehard Libs will back him on that if it's true. I'll be surprised if the talk of resignation isn't front-and-center.

Maybe Trudeau will ask Barack Obama (half black) to bail him out...another American resource !

5 hours ago, Boges said:

It's a huge problem. But it's a problem that's being made worse by the "Woke" left. 

I see this as maybe the biggest problem for Trudeau.  He and his war room spent the last several weeks searching, micro-analyzing and weaponizing past comments, associations, and actions of his opponents and attacking them on social media and elsewhere with constant accusations of racist, white supremacist,  homophobe, etc. based on actions of the past...knowing the whole time this was in his past and that it may possibly come out.  He inferred continuously that people don't change their past views.  This lays bare and exposes his monumentally shallow hypocrisy, and complete and total lack of self-awareness...for those who may not have been paying attention previously.

As far as damage to his campaign, I think there are two angles where this has the potential to damage him. First, it demolishes his strategy of attacking his opponents with further accusations of racism etc...this strategy of his is now off the table barring any major headlines coming from the other parties.  So he is going to have to pivot and change strategy, maybe even answer some questions with coherent answers.  Second, and maybe most damaging, it will call into question his seriousness by voters who want to be represented by a mature adult.  When people start thinking their leader is a joke or is seen by others to be a joke, that is a game-changer.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scott Mayers said:

The image where he's whereing a Turbin, he's dressed up as Aladin and likely has 'blue-face' if the photo was color. Would that still be a racist sample?

There is no way that's blue.  And, was anybody else dressed in "brown face" for the Arabian nights theme party?  NO!  Ok, write that one off, but getting in "black face" to sing Day-O...or was it Mammy, I can't remember.  Then, at some rally of something, does it again?  This isn't halloween or acting a part, and he wasn't a kid, he was an adult...and a teacher.  And, he hinted that there might be more.  Oh well, I guess nobody knows the trouble he's seen.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

You better listen to your local phone-in. A lot of libs are stilll in his corner. BTW, he was the only brown face at that nights

Anyway, finally US cable news picked up a Canada news 

The Liberals have no Plan B, so Trudeau is not going to resign.   Ride it out and take your chances.   Might have to tone down all that virtue signaling if he wins with blackface.

Who would become party leader ?  He already kicked Raybold out of caucus.

Freeland ?     (She works for Ukraine, not Canada).

• Like 1

Canadian media (e.g. CTV News) is reporting on the international exposure of this story, as it apparently strikes at the heart and value of much desired foreign love and respect for Canada.   So not only did Trudeau screw up with blackface, he...god forbid....is also making Canada look bad !

image.jpg

https://election.ctvnews.ca/trudeau-s-campaign-in-turmoil-how-international-media-is-covering-trudeau-s-racist-brownface-blackface-photos-1.4600708

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

This seems very peculiar to a non-Canadian.   Are you saying that Trudeau's "brownface/blackface" predicament would be much less so were it not for American culture and politics ?   I agree that the USA has often provided universal translation and understanding for disparate parts of Canada that would otherwise be clueless to each other.  But they all know what The Brady Bunch was/is....or pet Negroes on shows like Diff'rent Strokes.

Which is exactly my point...Canada does have its own, long and sordid history with Africans and those of African descent regardless of what happened in the United States.   But it is the American narrative and comparisons that dominate yet again.

Maybe Trudeau will ask Barack Obama (half black) to bail him out...another American resource !

Yes, I do think that blackface wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't for the history of racism and slavery in North America, and by that I mean the US. I don't think that dressing as Harry Belafonte and singing one of his songs would be a big deal if it wasn't for that period of time.

Guys dress up as women and it's not a big deal. Women dress up as men and it's not a big deal. The fact that that bad history of racism and slavery is what makes it a big deal imo.

FWIW I don't think any more of Obama than I do of Trudeau, but that's a whole other topic.

This is Canada day for me - the day that Trudeau's political career came to a screeching halt. If I didn't have to coach today I'd have been celebrating for the last 3 hours.

I'm afraid that when I wake up tomorrow this will all have been a dream, and the polls will still show the CPC only up by 1%.

3 hours ago, egghead said:

You better listen to your local phone-in. A lot of libs are stilll in his corner. BTW, he was the only brown face at that nights

Anyway, finally US cable news picked up a Canada news 

I love The Five. I watch that show or at least part of it every day.

Gutfeld, Watters, Perrino, Compagna, Bongino... all brilliant. Geraldo is actually a really smart, fair person as well, probably the most respectable Dem in the US. He's not on the Five very much though, he's probably on Hannity more but I don't watch much of Hannity. 

I'd stack those people up against the top 20 talking heads on CNN and it still wouldn't be a fair fight. Hell Trey Gowdy could take on 20 of those tools by himself.

17 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Yes, I do think that blackface wouldn't be as big of a deal if it wasn't for the history of racism and slavery in North America, and by that I mean the US. I don't think that dressing as Harry Belafonte and singing one of his songs would be a big deal if it wasn't for that period of time.

I don't think it is that simple, as I am fairly certain that Quebec has tolerated blackface until very recently.   Perhaps Trudeau is just a reflection of this reality during his "formative" years.    And to be fair to Quebec, blackface is still popular in Hispanic and Portuguese language television comedy.  

Blackface Is Still a Thing in Quebec

Blackface has a long, horrifying history as a racist art form. Even though it's almost 2015, white people in Canada still think it's okay to paint their skin and pretend to be a different race.

blackface-is-still-a-thing-in-quebec-729

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/qbnxa7/blackface-is-still-a-thing-in-quebec-729

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Scott Mayers said:

The image where he's whereing a Turbin, he's dressed up as Aladin and likely has 'blue-face' if the photo was color. Would that still be a racist sample?

Smurfs can be sensitive too.

Seriously, though: this is just one more of an incredible list of indiscretions that a privileged moron has done who is in absolutely no way mature, intelligent or honest enough to run for mayor of Bumfck nowhere, never mind PM of Canada.

• Like 1

It is now apparent that Justin Trudeau did not disclose the existence of blackface photos and video in 2015 (or earlier) because he knew damn well that it would disqualify him as a viable candidate for Liberal Party leader.   Any other MP would have been immediately kicked out of caucus.

So this raises the question of his honesty and transparency with party vetting, or purposeful lack thereof.   He could have disclosed these episodes of poor judgement following the 2015 election and blunted the impact far earlier than a September surprise.

Whatever "brand" Trudeau has cultivated to date is now badly and permanently damaged. 

• Like 2

It appears that Justin’s days of prancing around in ethnic getups are numbered.  If he loses his Papineau seat, perhaps he can rebrand himself as the new Al Jolson and do minstrel shows in the most racist parts of the Deep South.  There are so many blackface pics of JT in circulation, surely there must be opportunities for monetization.   

Nevertheless, there he was in a rally yesterday tugging at the heartstrings of his supporters.  He’ll ride this out and get re-elected.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

It appears that Justin’s days of prancing around in ethnic getups are numbered.  If he loses his Papineau seat, perhaps he can rebrand himself as the new Al Jolson and do minstrel shows in the most racist parts of the Deep South.  There are so many blackface pics of JT in circulation, surely there must be opportunities for monetization.  

Perhaps, but he could also do "minstrel shows" in the Deep North (including Canada), where they were also common.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Trevor Noah proposes a buyback program for blackface.  Trudeau is the mother lode of blackface.  He’ll be in the money.  

Can't wait to see the next "Saturday Night Live". Lots of late show content here. People showing up at Trudeau rallies in blackface.

Now that it's normalized I may go to the voter ballot that way....

It's been a couple years since I have been on here due to the fact my late hubby died and life  went on and this Trudeau thing has gotten to me and I need  to give my 2 cents....First....if u r not a liberal, of course, u r going to come out and rant and if u r Liberal one has to really think what is being said. Myself, this is small stuff....I will judge him by his record on being the PM alone, not what he did 20 years ago and he has said his peace on that. I don't want the next debate to be about this....I want to know were all the parties stand on issues and for the other parties, by keeping this thing going we may end up hearing nothing  else on debate night....

10 minutes ago, Topaz said:

It's been a couple years since I have been on here due to the fact my late hubby died and life  went on and this Trudeau thing has gotten to me and I need  to give my 2 cents....First....if u r not a liberal, of course, u r going to come out and rant and if u r Liberal one has to really think what is being said. Myself, this is small stuff....I will judge him by his record on being the PM alone, not what he did 20 years ago and he has said his peace on that. I don't want the next debate to be about this....I want to know were all the parties stand on issues and for the other parties, by keeping this thing going we may end up hearing nothing  else on debate night....

You are right in principle Topaz, but the leader's credibility is also an important factor.

33 minutes ago, Topaz said:

Yes, it was almost 20 years ago. But you know when he was being interviewed for acceptance as a candidate for the Liberal party he was asked questions about whether anything was in his past which might emerge to embarrass him or the party. He did not tell them about this. Then he signed the document. He lied. He can say it was because he was embarrassed all he wants. The point is he lied in an official document. And it wasn't so much out of embarrassment but fear they would reject his candidacy if he told them about his multiple times using blackface.