Ontario is the Best Place to Live in Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/best-place-to-live-1.5244158

There are a lot of advantages to living here. That's reflected in the rankings. Toronto really is the engine of the country, and that benefits the entire southern Ontario region. There are strong labour statistics here. Incomes are high. If weather is important to you, basically the two best picks in Canada are either somewhere in BC or in southern Ontario.

Ontario small towns also have the lowest crimes in the country, and Ontario has the lowest health care wait times. So all those factors combine to give southern Ontario towns and cities an advantage.

So that seals it.  We can now thankfully stop hearing from the West, Maritimes and Prairies.The conversation is now concluded.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

So that seals it.  We can now thankfully stop hearing from the West, Maritimes and Prairies.The conversation is now concluded.

One of the makers of the list and quoted in the article is from Southern Ontario.  Give me a break.  From the article:

"I feel a bit bad about this because I know the rest of Canada thinks we think we're the centre of the universe, and this isn't really helping that impression. There are a lot of advantages to living here."

Having experience in the area, I personally think the GTA is a dystopian hellhole.  I'd rather breath fresh air and live among some natural foliage instead of being trapped in an overpopulated urban jungle, but that's just me.

Edited by Moonlight Graham
  • Haha 1

Ontario has the shortest health care wait times? God help us all.

Oh and glad to hear that the small towns have the lowest crime. There is a good reason for that. Any place like Toronto with that level of urban sprawl, and where you get big money like that, you also get big crime. And the commensurate violence in the streets that goes with it. Last weekend 18 shootings, but hey. Let's celebrate Toronto, that seething liberal cesspool that's best to live far away from.

My wife and I spent nearly two years looking for the best place in the world to live and raise a family.  Southern Ontario (where I was borne) never came close to making on any list.  Prairies were always there for Canada (WI for USA, several in EU, only one in N Africa was Maroc but Toronto????   Not the "engine" of Canada, more like the anal sphincter.)

Edited by cannuck

3 hours ago, BubberMiley said:

Southern Ontario is God's country but I'd still pick BC for the mountains.

Mountains are the backdrop to the hundreds of islands and open ocean I call home.  Last job I had before I left Taranna was bicycle courier for a print shop downtown, everywhere between King and Sherbourne west to Bay St, north to Gerrard east back to Sherbourne then south again.  Home was on Yonge St.  By bicycle I mean an old CCM single speed job with a basket and handle bars that stuck out like Dumbo's ears.  They even sent us out in the snow in these things.

From that to logging and fishing.  I still wonder if wheeling around downtown Toronto wasn't the more dangerous job.

50 minutes ago, cannuck said:

Southern Ontario (where I was borne) never came close to making on any list.  Prairies were always there for Canada (WI for USA, several in EU, only one in N Africa was Maroc but Toronto????   Not the "engine" of Canada, more like the anal sphincter.)

Toronto has always been the 'in house' joke of Canada. They are the blustery second uncle at the family re-union, loud and boring  . . . the one with his gut poking through his shirt, the boor that looks down his bulbous alcoholics nose at the rest of Canada.  

At any Toronto restaurant frequented by the inflated Toronto elite, you'll find that toilet paper is used instead of napkins . . . . :D

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I just returned from a trip abroad, trying to understand airports, taxis.

If I were a foreigner, YUL is seriously f*cked up.

=========

En passant: À Bruxelles, avant embarquement, j'ai vu de jeunes filles couraient à joie, malgré la mère couverte. Destination : Montréal.

9 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Having experience in the area, I personally think the GTA is a dystopian hellhole.  I'd rather breath fresh air and live among some natural foliage instead of being trapped in an overpopulated urban jungle, but that's just me.

Is that what you really think Suburban Toronto is like? There's lots of natural land here, plenty of rural Conservative voters too. 

11 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Top 16 Worst Major Cities in Canada by Crime Rate 2019

....how many in Ontario ?

https://www.immigroup.com/news/top-16-worst-major-cities-canada-crime-rate-2019

So. . . you're saying big cities have crime? This is shocking. 

Conversely, 

Look at all the Ontario Cities listed as Safest. (Funny, Hamilton is on both of the lists)

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/photos/do-you-live-in-one-of-canadas-safest-cities/ss-AACIyxp#image=17

And look at all the Ontario cities listed as best places to live in Canada. 

https://www.macleans.ca/best-communities-canada-2019-full-ranking-tool/

3 of the top 5 are Toronto suburbs. Just sayin'. And 9 of the top 10 are in Ontario. AND!!!! 12 of the top 15. 

Edited by Boges

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Oh and glad to hear that the small towns have the lowest crime. There is a good reason for that. Any place like Toronto with that level of urban sprawl, and where you get big money like that, you also get big crime. And the commensurate violence in the streets that goes with it. Last weekend 18 shootings, but hey. Let's celebrate Toronto, that seething liberal cesspool that's best to live far away from.

If that is true, then Ontario is in big trouble, our health care system is the pits.  I was put on a wait list just to see an ortho surgeon in May, with an appointment in June 2020.  A friend of ours waited 3 years for a knee replacement.  Welcome to health care rationing.

I lived in Toronto most of my life but after retiring we moved to a small town, green and bucolic but crime is heading this way as we had a break in and assault in town recently not committed by a local. 

10 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

The study would indicate that it's better to live relatively close to Toronto but not in it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boges said:

Is that what you really think Suburban Toronto is like? There's lots of natural land here,

That's not true.  And nowhere near the rest of Canada. Mississauga, Brampton, Markham etc...it's virtually all developed.

Plenty of rural Conservative voters too. 

How are there rural conservatives in suburbia?  Rural people live in rural areas outside Toronto.

7 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

That's not true.  And nowhere near the rest of Canada. Mississauga, Brampton, Markham etc...it's virtually all developed.

How are there rural conservatives in suburbia?  Rural people live in rural areas outside Toronto.

The hated Liberal government created a GreenBelt to keep from Development just north of Toronto. Much of the GTA runs right through the Niagara Escarpment. Burlington, the #1 in this study, is directly south of the Escarpment. So is Grimsby, the #2 community. 

Mississauga has a river running through its west-end called the Credit River. You'll find plenty of parks along that river. 

When most people think of Hamilton, Ontario they think about steel plants belching out smoke and a really seed (yet rapidly gentrifying) downtown. Hamilton has an abundance of nice trails and scenic waterfalls. 

https://tourismhamilton.com/hamiltons-hottest-hiking-trails

http://www.waterfalls.hamilton.ca/

Edited by Boges

27 minutes ago, Boges said:

The hated Liberal government created a GreenBelt to keep from Development just north of Toronto. Much of the GTA runs right through the Niagara Escarpment. Burlington, the #1 in this study, is directly south of the Escarpment. So is Grimsby, the #2 community. 

Mississauga has a river running through its west-end called the Credit River. You'll find plenty of parks along that river. 

When most people think of Hamilton, Ontario they think about steel plants belching out smoke and a really seed (yet rapidly gentrifying) downtown. Hamilton has an abundance of nice trails and scenic waterfalls.

Compare it to virtually anywhere else in Canada.

If i'd live in southern ontario it would be south or west of Hamilton.

1 minute ago, Moonlight Graham said:

Compare it to virtually anywhere else in Canada.

If i'd live in southern ontario it would be south or west of Hamilton.

You mean barren and isolated? 

You can't have it all. If you like Rural communities then you sacrifice amenities an access to transit. 

Many of these suburban communities have it all. 

Toronto is a shithole, dirty, vastly overcrowded and overpriced. You'll pay twice as much for a third the house you'd get elsewhere, and then spend most of your time in traffic jams trying to get to and from work. More than half the population is made up of foreigners, which is why Hardner loves it.

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

Toronto is a shithole, dirty, vastly overcrowded and overpriced. You'll pay twice as much for a third the house you'd get elsewhere, and then spend most of your time in traffic jams trying to get to and from work. More than half the population is made up of foreigners, which is why Hardner loves it.

OK. . . But Toronto Suburbs are awesome sauce!