Hi,

I would like to heard people about what they are thinking about the french fact in Canada

What do you think about the idea of a Bilingual Canada ?

Do you think that Pierre Elliott Trudeau was right about that ?

PS: In this topic I'm asking everybody to be respectful while sharing opinions 

Thank you

Edited by The Philosopher

Hi, I'm a Francophone myself. I think highly of myself and my counterparts. :P

What do I think of the English speaking population? Not much, they just speak another language, even though I interact with the English a lot, since I'm located in Montréal. It's just nice that in Québec we have laws that protect our language and our culture. 

I just find that the English population in Montréal is mostly immigrant. Otherwise we speak French even downtown.

I am not fluent but can get by in French.  We chose to raise our children as fully bilingual.  Language is a very stimulating part of culture and education and I think we are fortunate to have two offical languages in Canada.   I just wish that was truly nation wide.

that is about the ONLY positive thing one could say about PET.

20 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

. It's just nice that in Québec we have laws that protect our language and our culture. 

Wish we could have those, but apparently that would be 'racist'.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The Philosopher said:

Hi,

I would like to heard people about what they are thinking about the french fact in Canada

Thank you

There will never be a bilingual Canada for the simple fact that almost all the French are located in one province. The others are scattered around in the midst of a huge English milieu.  Only expensive and continuing effort by the federal government keeps them from disappearing.

Which means for the Anglos outside Quebec or Ottawa, there's simply no point in learning French because they'll rarely if ever interact with a Francophone. And if they happen to meet one odds are the French guys speaks English WAY better than the English guy speaks French, so they'll speak English anyway. In most communities there are way more Hindu or Mandarin speakers than French speakers anyway.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, QuebecOverCanada said:

Hi, I'm a Francophone myself. I think highly of myself and my counterparts. :P

What do I think of the English speaking population? Not much, they just speak another language, even though I interact with the English a lot, since I'm located in Montréal. It's just nice that in Québec we have laws that protect our language and our culture. 

I just find that the English population in Montréal is mostly immigrant. Otherwise we speak French even downtown.

Quebecover being a former Montrealer  Jewish Anglo you know what that meant. Just out of proper manners  I speak French and grew up bilingual although it was possible I never had to speak French. You know the two solitudes. To me it was a matter of manners nothing else to speak French. I was a minority  growing up in Montreal and had my run ins with both Anglo and Franco bigots. Just life.  No one forced me to speak French. I wanted to. I grew up with the Habs. I know it  had a meaning to Quebecois as a symbol of them being the best at something in a world where they were put down by the English and as a Jew I got that need to show people you were as good as them,  but no Quebecois ever said to me this was only a French team- they loved their non French players equally and we left our politics out of the Forum. To me Quebec's true cultural identity  is the Habs and that vision of the world- which is now  multi-cultural  but one that will always have a special unique reference or nexus or connection to  support and acknowledge the collective French identity in Quebec if its taken out, the team can not exist and this is something many non Habs fans don't get.  I argue the same identity with taking Quebec out of Canada.

17 hours ago, Argus said:

There will never be a bilingual Canada for the simple fact that almost all the French are located in one province. The others are scattered around in the midst of a huge English milieu.  Only expensive and continuing effort by the federal government keeps them from disappearing.

Which means for the Anglos outside Quebec or Ottawa, there's simply no point in learning French because they'll rarely if ever interact with a Francophone. And if they happen to meet one odds are the French guys speaks English WAY better than the English guy speaks French, so they'll speak English anyway. In most communities there are way more Hindu or Mandarin speakers than French speakers anyway.

Well your comments can be documented by:

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/canadian-provinces-territories-by-percentage-of-french-speaking-population.html.

However you may also want to consider:

https://bilingualkidspot.com/2017/05/23/benefits-of-being-bilingual/

https://www.healthfitnessrevolution.com/top-10-health-benefits-of-being-bilingual/

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/hide-and-seek/201807/beyond-words-the-benefits-being-bilingual

Oh go on try.

Try this one on for size: Les glorieux sont la!

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP2QlfPMbss

Please understand, God is a Habs fan and so the chosen ones are Les glorieux. As we speak the Saints look down upon you:

Howie Morenz

George Vezina

Gump Worsley

Maurice Rocket  Richard

Bernie Boom Boom Geoffrions

Toe Blake

Doug Harvey

Dickie Moore

Rene LeCavalliers

Danny Gallivan

JC Tremblay

Butch Bouchard

You will not keep your bilingualism in an entirely English milieu. If you don't use a language you lose it. Spend twelve years going through french immersion and three years later you can barely ask the way to the bathroom. You'd have to be out of your mind to bother learning French in BC or Alberta. If you want a second language mandarin would make a lot more sense. Same goes for Toronto, for that matter.

On 7/18/2019 at 2:46 PM, The Philosopher said:

Hi,

Thank you

I was born and raised in Montreal in the good old days when English was the main language of communication in Montreal and just about everyone spoke English everywhere with the exception of the east end of Montreal where there was a small pocket of french speaking people living there. But everything changed after the separatists came along. They began to treat the English language and the Anglophones as the enemy of the french people and they started to blow up mail boxes in places like Westmount where pretty much everyone living in Westmount were Anglophones and living in fear. The french separatists the FLQ tried to intimidate the Anglophones into getting them to capitulate to the french in Quebec, and as we see today it has worked well for them. The English language has been pretty much banned in Quebec. 

So, Montreal became bilingual for awhile but in later years french became the official language of Quebec and the Anglophones and their English language came under attack. A new law was created that said that all signs posted anywhere will be in french only. That is where I drew the line. The fight was on and the Anglophones lost. And even the cowardly Anglophone politicians and English media from Quebec and the rest of Canada did not say a word. They left the Anglophones to die. Anglophones lost their right to post a sign in English only. Let some Anglophone province try to implement such a law anywhere in Canada where English only signs will be allowed to be posted and watch the shit hit the fan. The bloody Anglophone politicians and the media would go ballistic. That would be seen as being anti-french and being racist. 

What Quebec should have done was to declare Quebec to be a bilingual province back then where french and English could be posted on a sign beside each other but they did not. They treated the Anglophones and their English language as the enemy and it must be suppressed at all costs. Did you know that there is a law in Quebec that all communications over a loud speaker in any business in Quebec must be spoken in french only? It's also a law that boxes of cereal or any other food items sold on grocery shelves in grocery stores must have french out front and English facing the back. This should be done in the rest of Canada also. A little payback here. All Quebec needed to do at the time was to make sure that any and everything posted must be bilingual. 

So, what my main beef is today about bilingualism is that while Quebec enforces the french language as the dominate language and refuses to go bilingual, Ontario and New Brunswick and Manitoba have gone bilingual. Pretty much all highway traffic signs are in both English and french while in Quebec their highway signs are in french only. Quebec does not want to be a part of Canada. They just want to suck off and try and screw the rest of Canada as much as possible with their slang french language and getting all the rest of Canada to go bilingual while they stay unilingual french only. So far it has been a great deal for french Quebec but not for the rest of the Anglophones in English Canada. They pretty much run and own and control the federal government in Ottawa now. One has too pretty much speak good french in Ottawa to get a good job in the federal government. It has cost the Anglophones in the rest of Canada hundreds of billions of their tax dollars to help protect and promote french all over Canada. This needs to end.

I say abolish bilingualism and the rest of English Canada should go along with that. Why keep butt kissing a want to be separatist province that does not want to play the language game fairly? Old man Trudeau was Canada's biggest mistake ever just like his kid is today. The french in Quebec have pretty much bankrupted Canada with bilingualism and are still doing it today and the Anglophones outside Quebec still prefer to keep ignoring the facts and put an end to it.   So, how do you like those apples? :D

On 7/18/2019 at 5:46 PM, The Philosopher said:

Hi,

Thank you

Which French fact are you referring to? When the AFO, QCGM, and SANB signed a memorandum of understanding to promote official minority language rights, Mathieu Bock-Côté (a French Quebecer) called it treason.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/07/06/la-trahison

Of course the AFO challenged that accusation.

https://l-express.ca/entente-avec-les-anglo-quebecois-pas-de-trahison-des-fhq/

They've also recently been reminding Quebec of how it opposed minority French-language rights in court as recently as in 2015:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-raises-ire-of-francophones-in-the-rest-of-canada

Yet there are some French Canadians outside of Quebec who favour official unilingualism and more linguistic deregulation too.

The French fact in Canada is extremely complex.

3 hours ago, Machjo said:

Which French fact are you referring to? When the AFO, QCGM, and SANB signed a memorandum of understanding to promote official minority language rights, Mathieu Bock-Côté (a French Quebecer) called it treason.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2019/07/06/la-trahison

Of course the AFO challenged that accusation.

https://l-express.ca/entente-avec-les-anglo-quebecois-pas-de-trahison-des-fhq/

They've also recently been reminding Quebec of how it opposed minority French-language rights in court as recently as in 2015:

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/quebec-raises-ire-of-francophones-in-the-rest-of-canada

Yet there are some French Canadians outside of Quebec who favour official unilingualism and more linguistic deregulation too.

The French fact in Canada is extremely complex.

The facts are that the rest of Canada does not need Quebec anymore , especially in western Canada. Thanks to bilingualism the rest of Canada has lost hundreds of billions of their tax dollars in trying to bribe Quebec to stay in Canada. So, the rest of Canada gave them bilingualism, and apparently that was not good enough for them. Now they are only known as a french only speaking province. The English language, an official language of Canada, is not welcomed in Quebec. I was in Paris not too long ago and they use the word "STOP" at intersections. All Quebec is good for is sucking tax dollars away from the rest of Canada. Quebec in Canada makes Canada a very extremely complex country. Canada cannot work as good as it should when there is one province that does not want to work with the rest of Canada but has no problem taking the tax dollars from the rest of Canada. Quebec must go. No bout it, pardner. :D

22 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Also of note, Montreal is not actually the British city in Quebec, Montreal is the American city in Quebec.

The British city in Quebec, is of course Ville de Quebec, since 13 September 1759, the real Canada Day.

Vive la Canadienne. Je me souviens.

I am still surprised today that those men in those British uniforms are still allowed to march around in Quebec. And why are they in Quebec anyway? Most french have this hatred for the red uniform as it must resemble to them colonialism. Probably all of them are french anyway. Crazy, man. And I am pretty sure that the liberal party members and their supporters must despise these guys and their uniform.  After all, it is the liberal party of Canada, starting with the likes of old man Trudeau, that has been pretty much successful at trying to destroy the monarchy in Canada. Aw well, this is Canada, don't you know. It is all about Quebec and the rest of Canada must keep on begging and bribing Quebec to stay in Canada. Utterly disgusting indeed if you ask me. :D

5 minutes ago, taxme said:

I am still surprised today that those men in those British uniforms are still allowed to march around in Quebec. And why are they in Quebec anyway? Most french have this hatred for the red uniform as it must resemble to them colonialism. Probably all of them are french anyway. Crazy, man. And I am pretty sure that the liberal party members and their supporters must despise these guys and their uniform.  After all, it is the liberal party of Canada, starting with the likes of old man Trudeau, that has been pretty much successful at trying to destroy the monarchy in Canada. Aw well, this is Canada, don't you know. It is all about Quebec and the rest of Canada must keep on begging and bribing Quebec to stay in Canada. Utterly disgusting indeed if you ask me. :D

It's the Royal 22nd Regiment, the Vandoos are a British Foreign Legion in effect, they take the Queen's Schilling to defend the Citadel at the Plains of Abraham.

Quebec is after all, a war prize taken by the British in the Seven Years War, as I say, 13 September 1759 is the real Canada day.

Je me souviens.

22 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's the Royal 22nd Regiment, the Vandoos are a British Foreign Legion in effect, they take the Queen's Schilling to defend the Citadel at the Plains of Abraham.

Quebec is after all, a war prize taken by the British in the Seven Years War, as I say, 13 September 1759 is the real Canada day.

Je me souviens.

The words "Je me souviens"(I remember)were placed on the Quebec licence plates decades ago to always rub in the faces and try to remind the french in Quebec to never forget the day when the British beat their asses on the Plains of Abraham. Those words on the licence plates are there and meant to show contempt and hatred and to promote contempt and hatred towards an identifiable group in Canada namely the Anglophones of Quebec and Canada. And yet still today they still have those offensive and insulting words on those french licence plates, and they are never challenged, nor are they called prejudiced, nor even called offensive plates which are meant to insult and offend the Anglophones in the rest of Canada. Even our own cowardly Anglophone Canadian politicians in Ottawa and the lame duck Canadian media will not touch it with a hundred foot pole. If those same words had of been placed on an Ontario licence plate decades ago, we can be sure as hell that those words would have been removed off those licence plates years ago. The Anglophones of this country have really shown to be nothing more than a bunch of spineless cowards. Quebec craps on the rest of Canada and the rest of Canada for some weird reason continue to enjoy eating up their crap. But hey, what more can be said about gutless Anglophones, eh?  :rolleyes:

Edited by taxme

25 minutes ago, taxme said:

The words "Je me souviens"(I remember)were placed on the Quebec licence plates decades ago to always rub in the faces and try to remind the french in Quebec to never forget the day when the British beat their asses on the Plains of Abraham.

Quite the opposite, Je me souviens is to rub it in the face of the British that the Quebecois remain unbounded, Je me soviens means;

"We do not forget, and will never forget, our ancient lineage, traditions and memories of all the past".

It is the Federalists who wish Quebec to forget, Je me souviens is a gauntlet thrown down to Ottawa.

In terms of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, it turned out to be a Pyrrhic Victory, after the British expeditionary force bombarded Quebec, they had to live in it come the winter, wherein half of them froze to death.

The French then came back the next summer, and the British made the exact same mistake the French had in 1759, so the French ended up taking Quebec back.

Nouvelle France wasn't fully acquired as a war prize, until the French signed it over in the Treaty of Paris 1763, the British also got India in the deal.

The Treaty of Paris 1763 is the birth of the British Empire. North America and India, acquired on the same day.

Edited by Dougie93

The reason why 13 September 1759 was the turning point, is that Quebec was considered to be impregnable against the Royal Navy.

By coming down the St. Lawrence, which the French considered to be impassable, and then running the narrows, which the French thought to be suicidal, then crossing over and climbing the escarpment to take the Plains of Abraham, which the French never planned for, simply proved that it could be done, and once that was proven, it was just a matter of time until the British could roll up the whole of Nouvelle France, which was entirely dependent on the Citiadel at Quebec being invincible.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Quite the opposite, Je me souviens is to rub it in the face of the British that the Quebecois remain unbounded, Je me soviens means;

"We do not forget, and will never forget, our ancient lineage, traditions and memories of all the past".

It is the Federalists who wish Quebec to forget, Je me souviens is a gauntlet thrown down to Ottawa.

In terms of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, it turned out to be a Pyrrhic Victory, after the British expeditionary force bombarded Quebec, they had to live in it come the winter, wherein half of them froze to death.

The French then came back the next summer, and the British made the exact same mistake the French had in 1759, so the French ended up taking Quebec back.

Nouvelle France wasn't fully acquired as a war prize, until the French signed it over in the Treaty of Paris 1763, the British also got India in the deal.

The Treaty of Paris 1763 is the birth of the British Empire. North America and India, acquired on the same day.

If the french had of won the Battle on the Plains of Abraham, no doubt Quebec today would never have become a province in Canada. The west may have become known as western Canada. But the french really lost the battle and now the rest of Canada is paying for it. The french call it revenge. 

3 minutes ago, taxme said:

If the french had of won the Battle on the Plains of Abraham, no doubt Quebec today would never have become a province in Canada. The west may have become known as western Canada. But the french really lost the battle and now the rest of Canada is paying for it. The french call it revenge. 

It was a world war, the French were defeated on a broad front, while Wolfe was taking Quebec from the French in North America, on the other side of the world,  Clive was taking India from the French at the Battle of Pondicherry,

The French essentially sued for peace in the Seven Years War, because the British were routing them worldwide and the French were desperate to stop the bleeding.

Edited by Dougie93

Bear in mind that prior to the Seven Years War, France, the House of Bourbon, was the undisputed global Hegemon, like America is today.

Prior to the Glorious Revolution of 1688, England was a backwater, no match for the French.

The Glorius Revolution however, made Britain the best place to do business, which incited it into an economic powerhouse to rival the French.

At which point the British were able to take them on, head to head, in a global war for all the marbles, which Britain won.

Was the House of Orange which made Britain the global hegemon, by Parliamentary Supremacy,  which was simply vastly more efficient than Papist autocracy.

Nec Aspera Terrent.

This lasts until 1July 1916, wherein the British impale themselves on the Somme, and so America beats them at their own game, when the British Empire is forced to come cap in hand to Wall Street for a bailout.

The Royal 22nd Regiment being impaled with the rest of the Canadians at the Somme, 14,207 Canadian casualties in the Battle for Regina Trench, tho the Vandoos did take their objective at Flers-Courcelette, in hand to hand combat,  1800 hrs 15 September 1916. 

Edited by Dougie93

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/21/2019 at 10:45 PM, Dougie93 said:

This lasts until 1July 1916, wherein the British impale themselves on the Somme, and so America beats them at their own game, when the British Empire is forced to come cap in hand to Wall Street for a bailout.

The Royal 22nd Regiment being impaled with the rest of the Canadians at the Somme, 14,207 Canadian casualties in the Battle for Regina Trench, tho the Vandoos did take their objective at Flers-Courcelette, in hand to hand combat,  1800 hrs 15 September 1916. 

You can’t leave out Vimy, especially when you make statements like Canada isn’t a real country:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

You can’t leave out Vimy, especially when you make statements like Canada isn’t a real country:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Vimy_Ridge

Vimy is all bullshit, the Vimy Myth is the ultimate Canadian bullshit myth, the "Great Nation Building Victory!", that never actually happened.

Was actually just another ignominious defeat on the Western Front,  another 3598 Canadians killed for nothing, the Germans were defending in depth, Vimy achieved absolutely nothing on the battlefield, the Germans actually claim that campaign as a victory for them, and rightly so,  contrary to the fabricated Canadian myth making after the fact, Vimy Ridge was of no strategic consequence, nor was it the Great Unifying Moment in Canadian history, all that is complete bullshit made up long after the fact, in the 1930's, by the government, to try to justify the outright slaughter which they had sent Canadians into, on behalf of keeping India in the British Empire.

Did you know that there were no victory parades for Vimy after the war?  No victory parades at all, when the Canadian troops came home from the war, nobody was at the train station to greet them, because the war was a catastrophe and people just wanted to forget, "the great victory at Vimy Ridge" was not even a thing in 1918.

My great-grandfather fought at Vimy Ridge, and at the time, my great-grandmother didn't know anything about it, because it wasn't reported as some great victory for Canada, it was reported as a relatively minor action, fought by the British, which did not breakthrough on the Western Front, and so was by default just another failure, and all anybody did back then, was look in the newspaper for the list of the dead, to see if their husbands had been killed or not.

Vimy! Vimy! Vimy! is just another crock of state propaganda arm fabricated shit, a Big Lie if there ever was one.

The truth is, the Germans had become masters of defensive warfare by embracing sector defense in depth, so all they did was fall back to another prepared defensive position a couple kilometers to the east, Vimy achieved exactly nothing, the Western Front was a stalemate to the very last day,  the only thing that "won" the war was the blockade at sea which starved the German civilians into submission,  followed by an internal revolt, otherwise known in German lore as being "stabbed in the back by the November Criminals".

Canada only has one "great victory", which was shooting Louis Riel in the head after the firing squad failed to kill him, everything else is cannon fodder for the British Empire, but you can have the Northwest Rebellion of 1885, the only Canadian war that ever was, huzzah.

Vimy Ridge?  A British Corps in a British Army fighting a British war, for Belgium, which even the British admit was no victory at all, another 4000 colonials killed, for another 4000 yards on the Western Front, whoopie f*ckin' do.

Thing about the Vimy Myth, once you do your historical research and as a result understand that it's all bullshit, then you start to see that not only are all the Canadian myths bullshit, but Canada itself is all bullshit too.

Vimy Ridge is a lie, Canada is a lie, it's all lies, just more nonsense fabricated by the bureaucracy in Ottawa to justify its corruption, incompetence and dysfunction, I simply decline to defend and uphold these lies, as a classical liberal, I am called to know the truth of things, thus I propagate the Vimy Myth no more, no more.

Even if you are a British Imperialist want to claim victories by British armies fighting British wars for the British Empire, Vimy Ridge is not one of them, it only compounds the pathetic nature of the Post National State Fake Country that it is reduced to celebrating fake victories which never happened.  Typical Canadians. Sad.

Edited by Dougie93