China warns Canada not to be 'naive' in thinking allies can help fix issues (updated with Trudeau's reply)

1 hour ago, Zeitgeist said:

Actually no.  The parliament could literally vote against any even symbolic involvement.  If it received Senate and court support, the GG could sign off on it.

Nope.  You can't amend the constitution by majority vote in parliament, Canada can't get rid of the British Crown, because without the British Crown, there is no Canada.

Canada will never be a republic, you could end Canada and have multiple smaller republics in its place, but Canadian Confederation doesn't work as a unified republic,  Canadian Confederation has no unified national interest, in fact the interests within Confederation are all in conflict with one another, it is only the Queen which forces them all together in a shotgun marriage, if you remove the Queen; all you will get is a messy divorce.

Edited by Dougie93

2 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Nope.  You can't amend the constitution by majority vote in parliament, Canada can't get rid of the British Crown, because without the British Crown, there is no Canada.

Canada will never be a republic, you could end Canada and have multiple smaller republics in its place, but Canadian Confederation doesn't work as a unified republic,  Canadian Confederation has no unified national interest, in fact the interests within Confederation are all in conflict with one another, it is only the Queen which forces them all together in a shotgun marriage, if you remove the Queen; all you will get is a messy divorce.

Nonsense.  Pierre Trudeau has much more to do with the Canadian identity these days than Queen Liz, whom we all respect.  The Queen represents continuity and assurance.  We like it but it’s mythology more than anything else.  

The tension of Quebec v rest of Canada is part of what gives Confederation energy and elan.  I like the fleur de lys with the English rose.  In fact, the French have always been there, before even William the Conqueror.  We’re all Celts.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Nonsense.  Pierre Trudeau has much more to do with the Canadian identity these days than Queen Liz, whom we all respect.  The Queen represents continuity and assurance.  We like it but it’s mythology more than anything else.  

The tension of Quebec v rest of Canada is part of what gives Confederation energy and elan.  I like the fleur de lys with the English rose.  In fact, the French have always been there, before even William the Conqueror.  We’re all Celts.  

I only have loyalty to Her Majesty, I truly despise Canada otherwise, so long as Canadians enjoy the protection of the Queen, I am bound to defend them unto death as necessary, but there is nothing else that would make me lift a finger for Canada.

Just now, Dougie93 said:

I only have loyalty to Her Majesty, I truly despise Canada otherwise, so long as Canadians enjoy the protection of the Queen, I am bound to defend them unto death as necessary, but there is nothing else that would make me lift a finger for Canada.

That’s sad.  You should be grateful for Canada, because if you didn’t live here you’d have to live somewhere else, and apart from our winter, I don’t see better countries out there.   

29 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

That’s sad.  You should be grateful for Canada, because if you didn’t live here you’d have to live somewhere else, and apart from our winter, I don’t see better countries out there.   

I would kill and die for Elizabeth Windsor  without hesitation, and that would be my honour and privilege, the story of my people, but I wouldn't cross the street to piss on Canadian Confederation if it was on fire otherwise, vive le Quebec, vive le Quebec libre.

Good luck finding many who would actually kill and die to defend your pathetic Potemkin Village People's Republic.

Edited by Dougie93

3 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

I would kill and die for Elizabeth Windsor  without hesitation, and that would be my honour and privilege, the story of my people, but I wouldn't cross the street to piss on Canadian Confederation if it was on fire otherwise, vive le Quebec, vive le Quebec libre.

Good luck finding many who would actually kill and die to defend your pathetic Potemkin Village People's Republic.

Yet you live here, have worked on the government payroll, and enjoy what the country has to offer.  Strange loyalties.  Thankfully a rare opinion.  

3 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yet you live here, have worked on the government payroll, and enjoy what the country has to offer.  Strange loyalties.  Thankfully a rare opinion.  

I am sworn to the Commander-in-Chief, I remain at my post, Canadian's loyalty to a pathetic Potemkin Village fake country is none of my concern, as to being a rare breed, I would indeed suspect that the vast majority of the people who live here are not prepared to risk death and/or kill to defend Canada, Canada today after all, is absurdly bourgeois.

11 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I am sworn to the Commander-in-Chief, I remain at my post, Canadian's loyalty to a pathetic Potemkin Village fake country is none of my concern, as to being a rare breed, I would indeed suspect that the vast majority of the people who live here are not prepared to risk death and/or kill to defend Canada, Canada today after all, is absurdly bourgeois.

I’ll take bourgeois, which is basically a well-informed upper middle class.  You want a big bourgeoisie.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I’ll take bourgeois, which is basically a well-informed upper middle class.  You want a big bourgeoisie.  

Again, none of my concern,  all that matters is that I hold to my oath to Her Majesty, and I remain at my post, Canadians are quite irrelevant to me, Canada is not a republic, I owe no fealty whatsoever to the Canadian public.

19 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Actually no.  The parliament could literally vote against any even symbolic involvement.  If it received Senate and court support, the GG could sign off on it.  Again, there’s no push to do that because there’s no need to do that.  The people call the shots.  The Queen neither creates any laws nor determines any tax expenditures at all.  We like the pageantry, Rideau Hall, changing of the guard, that kind of quaint cultural stuff because it invokes a rich cultural heritage.  Our institutions derived from it.  

The Queen could literally dissolve parliament. To the extent that the people call the shots, that's because the Crown allows them to. The Crown is sovereign, "The People" are not, the people are subjects. Handwaving that it is merely symbolic doesn't change reality. Canada is not a republic, no matter how much you wish that it was.

If you want to live in a country where every man is a sovereign, as opposed to just the monarch, move to America, because that is not Canada.

Edited by Yzermandius19

26 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

The Queen could literally dissolve parliament. To the extent that the people call the shots, that's because the Crown allows them to. The Crown is sovereign, "The People" are not, the people are subjects. Handwaving that it is merely symbolic doesn't change reality. Canada is not a republic, no matter how much you wish that it was.

If you want to live in a country where every man is a sovereign, as opposed to just the monarch, move to America, because that is not Canada.

The illusion that HM is powerless is a product of Elizabeth Windsor specifically being non interventionist by nature, she's trying to protect the Firm by keeping it out of the fray,  but if she decided she needed to intervene, she could wield the same power the monarch's used to, which was always done behind the scenes,

Moreover, if she ever came out and publicly opposed a Canadian government, that government would fall in a matter of hours, the MP's would abandon the PM, the military would be empowered to decline any orders issued by said PM, overridden by the Commander-in-Chief.

Not every Canadian soldier is quite as royalist as I am, but they all know who their CinC is, and they know it ain't the Prime Minister, we do instruct them as to what the actual chain of command is on their recruit courses, and every single regiment looks to the Queen as the big kahuna,  the PM is a nobody.

Edited by Dougie93

It would be like Spain after Franco died and the generals were going to stage a coup de tat, all the King had to do was personally phone around to them, wherein he told them that he wasn't going to support it and if they went through with it, he would publicly disavow them. 

Boom, that stopped it right in its tracks, even though the King used no official office at all, just his personal influence.

Bear in mind why the Liberals have inserted civilian commissars throughout the defence staff and do things like try to destroy Admiral Norman for daring to defy them, it is because they are  afraid, because even if the Canadian public is not really aware, the politcians are very aware that the military doesn't actually report to them when push comes to shove.

This being demonstrated in 1962 during the Cuban Missile Crisis when the PM ordered the military to stand down and they literally ignored him, instead proceeding on the authority of the Commander-in-Chief to override Ottawa.

Edited by Dougie93

17 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Very sad indeed . . . . 

Perhaps you'd be a happier person if you moved to the homeland of your queen . . . . England or Germany ?

3 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Very sad indeed . . . . 

Perhaps you'd be a happier person if you moved to the homeland of your queen . . . . England or Germany ?

I'm quite happy to stay here and defend Her Majesty from disloyal Canadians, it is my duty to resist Her Majesty's enemies and defend the Queen's Peace, if disloyal Canadians are want to impose on me, molon labe, I f**king dare them.

13 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm quite happy to stay here and defend Her Majesty from disloyal Canadians, it is my duty to resist Her Majesty's enemies and defend the Queen's Peace, if disloyal Canadians are want to impose on me, molon labe, I f**king dare them.

Me thinks that you're the one who's disloyal, disloyal to Canada.  England/Germany is calling you . . . . please go.

7 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Me thinks that you're the one who's disloyal, disloyal to Canada.  England/Germany is calling you . . . . please go.

Canada is simply Confederation, the constitution does not bind me to any fealty to Canadian Confederation, this has also been affirmed by the Supreme Court of Canada.

Trudeau is right, Canada is a fake country, the Queen is the country, Canada is simply a trade and mutual defense agreement, which doesn't work, never worked, and is never going to work.

I mean, amongst the many farcical proclivities of the Canadian masses, perhaps the most farcical, is just how ignorant Canadians are about Canada.

They don't know what their own constitution says, they don't know what the law is, they don't know shit about Canada, it's pathetic.

I can only blame the Liberals so much, the reality is that Canadians are willfully ignorant, they can't be bothered to learn about Canada, they're too busy trying to be Americans.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I mean, amongst the many farcical proclivities of the Canadian masses, perhaps the most farcical, is just how ignorant Canadians are about Canada.

They don't know what their own constitution says, they don't know what the law is, they don't know shit about Canada, it's pathetic.

I can only blame the Liberals so much, the reality is that Canadians are willfully ignorant, they can't be bothered to learn about Canada, they're too busy trying to be Americans.

They can't even do that right, trying to be Americans and failing miserably due to their Eskimo Communist proclivities, pathetic.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

They can't even do that right, trying to be Americans and failing miserably due to their Eskimo Communist proclivities, pathetic.

There isn't even such a thing as Canadian politics, it's just the farm teams for the Democrats and Republicans.

Trudeau is learning another longstanding PM lesson...on China, he needs the present U.S. president more than Trump needs him:

Justin Trudeau doesn’t want to be seen as chummy with Trump, since Trudeau’s liberal base back home despises him. But the reality is Canada — and Trudeau in his reelection efforts — need Trump on a wide range of trade and foreign policy issues.

...Now the prime minister's in a jam and trying to regain Trump's favor, O'Toole said, by rushing to ratify the new U.S.-Mexico-Canada trade deal and imposing import controls on Asian steel.

“Lately, he is doing everything the president asks," O'Toole said, "because he needs help salvaging the Canada-China dispute."

...When a reporter pointed out that Trump has yet to make an actual state visit to Canada, and asked Trudeau whether he'd invited him, the prime minister sidestepped the question.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/20/trump-trudeau-canada-1547938

Fired Liberal ambassador gives China advice on how to impact the Canadian federal election:

Former Canadian envoy to Beijing John McCallum says he has cautioned Chinese officials that further sanctions against Canada over the arrest of Huawei executive Meng Wanzhou could help spur the election of a Conservative government, which would be far less favourable to Beijing.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/article-former-ambassador-to-china-says-he-has-warned-chinese-officials-of/

29 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trudeau is learning another longstanding PM lesson...on China, he needs the present U.S. president more than Trump needs him:

I can't actually remember a time when Canada had bad relations with  Russia, China, India, and the USA, all at the same time, Trudeau jr is botching things nicely, one own goal after the next.