Port Coquitlam mayor Brad West says people are telling him to back off criticism of China

It sounds so cheap; it is $6,000 only :o

Port Coquitlam Mayor Brad West says he has been asked to tone down his criticism of China or his community will be ‘at risk’ of not receiving support.

West has been pushing the Union of B.C. Municipalities (UBCM) to sever ties with the Chinese government. China pays $6,000 to host a reception and be included in the annual UBCM program. The government also covers the cost of food and drink at the event.

“Since I have started speaking out a message has been sent to me that I could be putting at risk support for my community and I think that is really concerning. I think we are elected to speak out on behalf of our constituents,” West said......

https://globalnews.ca/news/5426764/brad-west-china-criticism/

Edited by egghead

'Fry said the reason UBCM allows the Chinese government to hold the reception is because of the trading relationship with China.

“China is British Columbia’s second largest trading partner. We do about $7 billion in exports and $11 billion in imports in just one year. We are expanding a pipeline so we can send more bitumen to China,” Fry said.'

--

Incredible. We're basically China's bitch. And BC imports $4B more than it exports, which means that BC is a loser in this equation, yet would advocate a pro China stance.

BC is corrupt to the fullest. Vancouver was flooded by Chinese agents who bought property massively and inflated the price so much it made Canadians flee downtown. Since then, China has literally colonized without a bullet, the third most important city in Canada.

Edited by QuebecOverCanada

5 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Since then, China has literally colonized without a bullet, the third most important city in Canada.

No doubt the oligarchs have taken advantage of an accommodating Canadian financial sector but this suggestion that Chinese people who have been immigrating here for over a hundred years now are part of some organized invasion by China is just plain wrong.  Many Chinese immigrants came here to flee a dictatorship.

"We are expanding a pipeline so we can send more bitumen to China,” Fry said.'

The strongest basis for my objection to more pipelines is that we'll be fuelling the growth of the biggest most dangerous authoritarian on the planet. Its is even more insane than ignoring the implications for climate change of burning Tar Sands oil. 

2 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/matt-gurney-enoughs-enough-ban-and-boycott-huawei-until-china-backs-off

So now China is blocking Canadian meat.  Is it time to shut down Huawei in Canada?   The Chinese seem intent on pushing Canada closer to Trump on trade with China. 

I have a feeling that the bogus certificate is an operation.

I think you are wrong. I don't believe China wants to push Canada to US. China wants Canada to be another Sri Lanka or Pakistan. Then, Will trump let Canada off the hook if JT sets Meng free, like Obama did nothing when HK let Snowden went away?

19 hours ago, eyeball said:

No doubt the oligarchs have taken advantage of an accommodating Canadian financial sector but this suggestion that Chinese people who have been immigrating here for over a hundred years now are part of some organized invasion by China is just plain wrong.  Many Chinese immigrants came here to flee a dictatorship.

Ya, that was before Y2K. Now, many chinese benevolent associations switched side becasue they wanted the financial benefits from the red china. Also, there are many new chinese societies.

Local Chinese groups purchase pro-Communist Party media ads in light of Hong Kong protests

Large advertisements that ran in the Sing Tao and Ming Pao newspapers in the last two weeks denounce the protesters as “radicals” and appear to support the Communist Party’s position on a since-suspended extradition bill between China and Hong Kong.

https://theprovince.com/news/local-news/local-chinese-groups-take-out-pro-communist-party-ads-amidst-hong-kong-protests/wcm/0113507a-c3ef-4a81-af59-3b23d79986fa

3 minutes ago, egghead said:

Ya, that was before Y2K. Now, many chinese benevolent associations switched side becasue they wanted the financial benefits from the red china. Also, there are many new chinese societies.

We have PM who said he admired China's dictatorship, point being this has nothing to do with race.

On 6/26/2019 at 5:37 PM, eyeball said:

We have PM who said he admired China's dictatorship, point being this has nothing to do with race.

It would appear as though our prime mistake of Canada does admire China's dictatorship alright because he is now trying to enforce communist media censorship here in Canada just like the commies do in China. China would never dare arrest two Americans on trumped up charges in China because Trump would demand them back now or else. Our dear commie leader is begging Trump to help him in trying to free those two Canadians being held in some commie gulag. What a guy and a leader Canada has, eh? And there are some Canadians who still believe that Trudeau was God's gift to Canada. Duh. :unsure:

21 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Par for the course,  Canada is a two nickel whore, selling its own down the river to appease foreign interests is all Canada has ever done.

Par for the course alright. Our puppet on a string politically correct politicians are more concerned about the rest of the world rather than Canada or Canadians. Our politicians keep trying to wipe out Canada's traditions and history. Just the other day another British statue of a man called Bailey was taken down from the front steps of the courthouse in New Westminster, BC because it had British colonial ties attached to it. So did Sir John A. statue was taken down in Victoria, BC because of his British colonial ties. This countries history is being slowly erased one statue at a time and no one gives a shit. And then we should celebrate Canada Day? What Canada? The new non western one that is slowly taking over this once great nation? No bloody way, May. It is alright to criticize our great neighbor America and their great President Trump and all is fine. But bitch about communist China and all hell breaks loose. It would seem that what I have been saying all along. Our dear commie leader loves his communism. He did say that he admired China. I guess what our dear leader admires about China is that over there they put their critics in the communist gulag. I am pretty sure that king Trudeau would like to do the same thing here and put people in the gulag who disagree with the dictator.

It would appear as though Mayor Brad West has the b-lls to talk back to the Chinese communists and their supporters here, eh?  Good job Mayor West. Too bad that there are not enough  politicians like you around who does not always speak political correctness.   :)

36 minutes ago, taxme said:

Par for the course alright. Our puppet on a string politically correct politicians are more concerned about the rest of the world rather than Canada or Canadians.

It has always been thus.

60,000 Canadians killed in the First World War, for what? Democracy and Freedom?

Nope.  For Belgium, which was at the time a slave empire more ferocious than even the Nazis.

50,000 Canadians killed in the Second World War, for what?  Democracy and Freedom? 

Nope.   To defend the route through Suez to keep India and China British.

22 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

It has always been thus.

60,000 Canadians killed in the First World War, for what? Democracy and Freedom?

Nope.  For Belgium, which was at the time a slave empire more ferocious than even the Nazis.

50,000 Canadians killed in the Second World War, for what?  Democracy and Freedom? 

Nope.   To defend the route through Suez to keep India and China British.

This is why I believe that anyone joining a military anywhere in the world are fools and are not fighting for democracy and freedom. They are fighting against democracy and their own freedoms. All those wars fought and look where we are today. There are still communist countries like North Korea and China and Cuba still around. Military and dictatorship control many countries in the world. The United Nations has solved nothing. Those fools go off to war to get maimed or killed in the belief that they are saving the world. The only thing that they are saving is the communist globalist international bankers ass. Without a military that they control there would be no wars going on in the world. And our stupid and stunned politicians are just their puppet on a string bunch of fools and idiots. When there are unions in BC telling the Mayor to back off on China it is not hard to see that the unions in BC are sympathetic towards communism. BC has pretty much become one big pro loving communist province. Bringing back the BC Human Rights(communist)Commission should tell us all as to where BC politicians priorities lie. When a mayor of a city in BC criticizes communist China and gets shit over it that should tell anyone here about BC and where it is going fast. :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, taxme said:

This is why I believe that anyone joining a military anywhere in the world are fools and are not fighting for democracy and freedom.

When you serve in a British army like the Canadian Army you are in effect a mercenary, you soldier for soldiering's sake, Minstrel Boy with wild harp strung out behind you.

51 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

When you serve in a British army like the Canadian Army you are in effect a mercenary, you soldier for soldiering's sake, Minstrel Boy with wild harp strung out behind you.

More like people are hired in the military to pretty much commit murder and be able to get away with murder. Otherwise, there is no good reason as to why any country should need or want to have a military.   I do like the sound of those Scottish army or police bagpipers though. :D

16 minutes ago, taxme said:

More like people are hired in the military to pretty much commit murder and be able to get away with murder.

Nice work if you can get it, particularly when the Canadian military is the best paid, best fed and best housed in the world.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Nice work if you can get it, particularly when the Canadian military is the best paid, best fed and best housed in the world.

Until after they leave the military. I heard that it is all not that great after people leave the military. But as long as they are in the military they will be fed and housed with the best help money can buy from the Canadian taxpayer's tax dollars. Can't send men/women off to war and not feed them with the best food and properly house them. But it is nice work if you can get it and someone who joins the military gets to see most of the world for free. That pizzes me off because I have to pay a lot of money to go visit the rest of the world. Not so nice for me.  :unsure:

2 minutes ago, taxme said:

Until after they leave the military. I heard that it is all not that great after people leave the military. But as long as they are in the military they will be fed and housed with the best help money can buy from the Canadian taxpayer's tax dollars. Can't send men/women off to war and not feed them with the best food and properly house them. But it is nice work if you can get it and someone who joins the military gets to see most of the world for free. That pizzes me off because I have to pay a lot of money to go visit the rest of the world. Not so nice for me.  :unsure:

Well I left because of the increasingly absurd throw people under the bus political correctness in the wake of the Somalia Affair, and just the lack of combat readiness, the Liberals basically gutted the combat capability and I wasn't going to fight in an SJW army which had no kit.  In terms of the lifestyle though, the non combat aspects, we were pampered really, it's an odd military, basically Canada spends all its military money on frills and practically nothing preparing for war.

46 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Well I left because of the increasingly absurd throw people under the bus political correctness in the wake of the Somalia Affair, and just the lack of combat readiness, the Liberals basically gutted the combat capability and I wasn't going to fight in an SJW army which had no kit.  In terms of the lifestyle though, the non combat aspects, we were pampered really, it's an odd military, basically Canada spends all its military money on frills and practically nothing preparing for war.

Canada and the military will always be seen as a joke because let's be honest here? Canada and the military is a joke. Our politicians put colorful frillies and colorful balloons up in front of we the sheeple Canadian faces to make it appear as though all is peachy kee in Canada while they work behind our backs to create more new taxes, more government, more rules and regulations, and less freedoms. Where are the freedom lovers in Canada? It would appear as though many are hiding in their closets and afraid to speak out and they are paying big time for their remaining silent and cowards. Canada would probably lose a war within ten minutes with some over populated third world country and their military.  Just saying. 

24 minutes ago, taxme said:

Canada and the military will always be seen as a joke because let's be honest here? Canada and the military is a joke. Our politicians put colorful frillies and colorful balloons up in front of we the sheeple Canadian faces to make it appear as though all is peachy kee in Canada while they work behind our backs to create more new taxes, more government, more rules and regulations, and less freedoms. Where are the freedom lovers in Canada? It would appear as though many are hiding in their closets and afraid to speak out and they are paying big time for their remaining silent and cowards. Canada would probably lose a war within ten minutes with some over populated third world country and their military.  Just saying. 

Well Canada can't even fight a war, all war is logistics in the end, and Canada doesn't maintain enough of a logistics tail for the military to deploy independent of the Americans, all Canada can do at this juncture is plug a small Canadian token force into the American chain of command, so for all intents and purposes, when you serve in the Canadian military, you are in fact serving the Americans.