Should every prospective teacher be required to take a course on sex addiction?

Machjo

Given the high rates of teachers molesting students in public schools, would it make sense to require every prospective teacher to take a sex-addiction course (maybe a couple hours of their education degree program) to learn the causes, symptoms, and remedies for sex addiction so as to ensure that any teacher who does suffer a compulsive sexual behaviour will know where to turn for help before he ends up molesting a student?

I agree that tough laws and penalties help to deter potential abusers too, but such laws are of limited use when in many cases, the student will fear reporting the abuser for many reasons. In those cases, ensuring that a teacher who suffers compulsive sexual tendencies knows where to turn for help might help that teacher find the help he needs before he hurts a student.

This might even apply to any position of authority including therapist, prison guard, etc. before they can obtain their license.

Edited by Machjo

3 hours ago, Machjo said:

Given the high rates of teachers molesting students in public schools,  

WTF are you talking about ?  Is this how to start a thread ?  Make a startling claim but put the word 'given' in front of it ?

"Given that the UFOs are now controlling the bath towel industry perhaps it's time we ...."

39 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

WTF are you talking about ?  Is this how to start a thread ?  Make a startling claim but put the word 'given' in front of it ?

"Given that the UFOs are now controlling the bath towel industry perhaps it's time we ...."

Don't leave us hanging...

On 6/19/2019 at 11:08 PM, Michael Hardner said:

OK, maybe I exaggerated. But given its severity, even if rare, the simple fact that it happens seems to suggest that we should ensure that every prospective teacher knows how to recognize the symptoms of compulsive sexual behaviours and where to turn for help before they hurt someone. We have no way of knowing who the dangerous teacher is until it's too late; so to play it safe, why not ensure they all get the necessary training to know where to turn for help if they need it?

2 hours ago, J4L said:

No.  Waste of time.

How so? If it reduces the occurrence of teacher sexual abuse by even 10% let's say, given the lifelong damage it can cause the child, would it not be worth it? Can we reasonably assume that a teacher who may be at risk of abusing a child necessarily knows where to turn for help before he hurts the studend?

I agree with tough laws and penalties as a second line of deterrence; but for those it fails to deter, a preferable first line might involve teacher education to ensure that a teacher who does need help knows where to turn for help. Simple penalties might be an effective second line of defence, but is a poor first line of defence as we're using it now.

6 hours ago, Machjo said:

How so? If it reduces the occurrence of teacher sexual abuse by even 10% let's say, given the lifelong damage it can cause the child, would it not be worth it? Can we reasonably assume that a teacher who may be at risk of abusing a child necessarily knows where to turn for help before he hurts the studend?

I agree with tough laws and penalties as a second line of deterrence; but for those it fails to deter, a preferable first line might involve teacher education to ensure that a teacher who does need help knows where to turn for help. Simple penalties might be an effective second line of defence, but is a poor first line of defence as we're using it now.

That is why school districts do background checks.  They have no way of determining if a school employee is a sexual predator, unless said person has a past committing offenses.  Sexual addiction courses make about as much sense as alcohol and drug addiction courses.  You have to admit to a problem, and want help to have any program like this be of any kind of benefit, and what teacher in their right mind is going to say they are attracted to children, since the consequences would be termination.

2 hours ago, J4L said:

That is why school districts do background checks.  They have no way of determining if a school employee is a sexual predator, unless said person has a past committing offenses.  Sexual addiction courses make about as much sense as alcohol and drug addiction courses.  You have to admit to a problem, and want help to have any program like this be of any kind of benefit, and what teacher in their right mind is going to say they are attracted to children, since the consequences would be termination.

I don't understand. A background check will prove useless against a potential predator who's not hurt anyone yet.

A sex-addiction course would not require any participant to confess to anything. However, making a person aware of where to turn for help could make him less dangerous.

For example, if I'm an alcoholic but have never herd of alcoholism or Alcoholics Anonymous before, then firstly, this sense of the problem being unique to me will make it even more embarrasing for me to seek help. Secondly, if I can't even name the problem and can't imagine that help exists for it, then how am I supposed to find help for it?

By making all prospective teachers aware of the problem, how to identify its symptoms, and where to turn for help, then a prospective teacher in that class might have a Eureka moment when he identifies with these symptoms and might take an interest in the remedies mentioned that he might never have imagined before. He could now name the problem, identify its symptoms, and turn for help before he hurts anyone. He can't get help if he can't even fully identify the problem and is unaware that help exists for it.

Edited by Machjo

20 hours ago, Machjo said:

... we should ensure that every prospective teacher knows how to recognize the symptoms of compulsive sexual behaviours and where to turn for help before they hurt someone. 

1) Do you have any idea what their training is now ?

2) Do you have any way to guess whether this approach (which presumably you made up, and presumably you aren't an expert) would work at all ?

3) Why would you come on a web board and put forward imaginary solutions to problems, assuming that they are better than anything experts who work in these channels every day can come up with ?

Let's see about those three questions.

13 hours ago, Machjo said:

I don't understand. A background check will prove useless against a potential predator who's not hurt anyone yet.

A sex-addiction course would not require any participant to confess to anything. However, making a person aware of where to turn for help could make him less dangerous.

For example, if I'm an alcoholic but have never herd of alcoholism or Alcoholics Anonymous before, then firstly, this sense of the problem being unique to me will make it even more embarrasing for me to seek help. Secondly, if I can't even name the problem and can't imagine that help exists for it, then how am I supposed to find help for it?

By making all prospective teachers aware of the problem, how to identify its symptoms, and where to turn for help, then a prospective teacher in that class might have a Eureka moment when he identifies with these symptoms and might take an interest in the remedies mentioned that he might never have imagined before. He could now name the problem, identify its symptoms, and turn for help before he hurts anyone. He can't get help if he can't even fully identify the problem and is unaware that help exists for it.

Way to give into mob hysteria there...