Infrastructure in your city...

Having lived in Alberta for several years, returning to Winnipeg makes the roads and highways seem like a third world country. Very few potholes in Alberta, and all roads are nice and paved.  Driving in Winnipeg is like an obstacle course.  Potholes everywhere.  Even Saskatchewan is much better. The ring road has too many at-grade intersections, and there is no money to build any flyovers.  This is getting bad in the south end of the city, as development has made traffic congested.  

What is your city like, in terms of the condition of infrastructure?

I don't live in the city anymore, but the infrastructure where I live now is excellent, when I was growing up in Toronto I thought of Wellington County as being the hicks from the sticks, but in actual fact its affluent and very well serviced, and with vastly less usage of everything by a vastly less dense population, everything is kept in working order, moreover there's no traffic at all by Toronto standards and there's always plenty of parking everywhere you go, it's infrastructure bliss to be honest, certainly in contrast to the city.

On 6/19/2019 at 5:39 PM, J4L said:

Having lived in Alberta for several years, returning to Winnipeg makes the roads and highways seem like a third world country. Very few potholes in Alberta, and all roads are nice and paved.  Driving in Winnipeg is like an obstacle course.  Potholes everywhere.  Even Saskatchewan is much better. The ring road has too many at-grade intersections, and there is no money to build any flyovers.  This is getting bad in the south end of the city, as development has made traffic congested.  

Ottawa's streets are full of potholes, and its water mains keep breaking, which causes sink holes. Like most cities, we have a very progressive mayor and council, and they mostly concern themselves with public transit and encouraging people to walk or use bicycles to get around. Narrowing roads and slowing down traffic is done deliberately to help encourage people to use public transit.

22 hours ago, Argus said:

Ottawa's streets are full of potholes, and its water mains keep breaking, which causes sink holes. Like most cities, we have a very progressive mayor and council, and they mostly concern themselves with public transit and encouraging people to walk or use bicycles to get around. Narrowing roads and slowing down traffic is done deliberately to help encourage people to use public transit.

I really hope that all this new road construction and the completion of the LRT (grumble) here will fix all this. And with the delay in the LRT I would assume that people are ditching transit and getting in a vehicle to go to work and such.  The bike lanes are more of a hindrance to vehicle traffic and because of the cycling deaths over the last few yeas, why would anyone want to ride them. I am finding my commute home after work getting worse by the week.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

I really hope that all this new road construction and the completion of the LRT (grumble) here will fix all this. And with the delay in the LRT I would assume that people are ditching transit and getting in a vehicle to go to work and such.  The bike lanes are more of a hindrance to vehicle traffic and because of the cycling deaths over the last few yeas, why would anyone want to ride them. I am finding my commute home after work getting worse by the week.

There are several new and in-construction multi-family complexes within one km of where I live.  Traffic is getting worse everywhere, bus service is at capacity, and our mayor is focused on implementing a municipal police force and getting rid of the RCMP.  #strangepriorities

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2019 at 12:14 PM, dialamah said:

There are several new and in-construction multi-family complexes within one km of where I live.  Traffic is getting worse everywhere, bus service is at capacity, and our mayor is focused on implementing a municipal police force and getting rid of the RCMP.  #strangepriorities

The infrastructure needs to be there before the people move in. It's cheaper to plan for 20 years down the road instead of waiting for that 20 years and say we should have done it 30 years ago and now it's going to cost us 4x as much.

There is a large new residential hi rise condo near MOST of the yet to be operational LRT stations.

Edited by GostHacked

On 6/19/2019 at 2:39 PM, J4L said:

Winter will wreck roads and infrastructure because of the extreme cold temperatures Winnipeg can get in the winter. Better hope that global warming starts to warm up Winnipeg. The warmer the better for all roads in Canada. Here in the Lower Mainland of BC, there are no potholes to worry about because we hardly get any kinds of harsh winters here. The occasional snow that we get is quite rare. Rain is our problem here. Way too much at times but a lot better than having four/five months of snow and cold. 

Edited by taxme

On 6/23/2019 at 9:14 AM, dialamah said:

I am all for Surrey, BC having it's own police force. All cities should have their own police force.