[Scraping the bottom of the barrel] Trudeau to apologize to Italian Canadians mistreated during Second World War

Don't see this coming;  Who is the next in line? POW of 1812 or black enslavement :rolleyes:

22FUXTKRBFGL7FMRXLJNZFZ35I.jpg

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the federal government is committed to issuing a formal apology to Italian Canadians mistreated in the country during the Second World War.

“We have to face the dark chapter in our country’s history,” he said Friday. “Italian Canadians have lived with these memories for many years and deserve closure.”

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-trudeau-to-apologize-to-italian-canadians-mistreated-during-second/

May Trudeau should apologize to all Canadian for screwing them over.

I actually didn't know that Italians in Canada where mistreated, it all sounds very vague.  Didn't everyone struggle during the war?

He says during the war, Italian Canadian families and businesses struggled and no one was held responsible.

For us without G&M subscription:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/justin-trudeau-apology-italian-canadians-wwii_ca_5d0443e3e4b0985c419dcc8d

"It was a time when their patriotism was questioned and their lives thrown into chaos. During the Second World War, hundreds of Italian Canadians were interned,” said Trudeau.

Italian-Canadians were suspected of being fascist supporters of Mussolini, while in fact, most were anti-Fascism, and came to Canada to escape the rising fascism in Europe. 

At the 'Christie Pits riot' in Toronto in 1933, six months after Hitler took power in Germany, Italian-Canadians and Jewish-Canadians fought together against Nazi sympathizers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Pits_riot

After the final out of the second game, Pit Gang members displayed a blanket with a large swastika painted on it. A number of Jewish boys and young men who had heard about the previous Swastika incident rushed the Swastika sign to destroy it, supporters of both sides (including Italians who supported the Jews) from the surrounding area joined in, and a fight started.[11]

Toronto and much of Southern Ontario at that time (including police) was powered by British protestant Orangemen, who were the (fascist) ones on the side of the swastika-crew, fighting for hours in the street against the Italian and Jewish anti-fascists ... while the police just stood by.

I did not know that some Italian-Canadians were "interned". Certainly that requires an apology. 

egghead, I would appreciate it if you would change your disparaging, ethnically-offensive thread title. 

14 hours ago, egghead said:

Don't see this coming;  Who is the next in line? POW of 1812 or black enslavement :rolleyes:

I did not know Italians were interned in Canada during WWII. I am familiar with the Japanese internment and the hardships faced by the people whose businesses were confiscated. Many were shipped to southern Alberta. They worked for farmers. They worked really hard and rebuilt their lives successfully. It took a long time for some to let go of their anger and hurt. I know  the formal apology made by the government of Canada was something they waited for a long time. Mark Sakamoto wrote a biography called Forgiveness that tells the story of his family's experience being interned if you are interested.

Recognition that Canada allowed a bad thing to happen is not too hard for Canada and really important to the people who lived through such unfair treatment.

4 hours ago, jacee said:

For us without G&M subscription:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/justin-trudeau-apology-italian-canadians-wwii_ca_5d0443e3e4b0985c419dcc8d

"It was a time when their patriotism was questioned and their lives thrown into chaos. During the Second World War, hundreds of Italian Canadians were interned,” said Trudeau.

Italian-Canadians were suspected of being fascist supporters of Mussolini, while in fact, most were anti-Fascism, and came to Canada to escape the rising fascism in Europe. 

At the 'Christie Pits riot' in Toronto in 1933, six months after Hitler took power in Germany, Italian-Canadians and Jewish-Canadians fought together against Nazi sympathizers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christie_Pits_riot

After the final out of the second game, Pit Gang members displayed a blanket with a large swastika painted on it. A number of Jewish boys and young men who had heard about the previous Swastika incident rushed the Swastika sign to destroy it, supporters of both sides (including Italians who supported the Jews) from the surrounding area joined in, and a fight started.[11]

Toronto and much of Southern Ontario at that time (including police) was powered by British protestant Orangemen, who were the (fascist) ones on the side of the swastika-crew, fighting for hours in the street against the Italian and Jewish anti-fascists ... while the police just stood by.

I did not know that some Italian-Canadians were "interned". Certainly that requires an apology. 

egghead, I would appreciate it if you would change your disparaging, ethnically-offensive thread title. 

First of all, as you said "most", not all. Does it mean that there were some Italian-Canadians were supporters of Mussolini? 

From my point of view, that is completly "scraping the bottom of the barrel" move to gain some brownie points. In fact, this move is so cheesy that it is an absolute disgrace to the japanese, chinese and native apologizes.

If you don't agree, that is your right. You can report this to admin that the title hurts your feeling if you want, and I will fight it this time because of my right.

BTW, read this

Enemy aliens

Prior to June 10, 1940, the RCMP began systematic surveillance of Italian Canadian fascists following Mussolini's invasion of Ethiopia in October 1935 and in 1938 published a 60-page report detailing fascist activity in Canada.

Newspaper accounts of the day, such as the Ottawa Citizen, tell that the status of "enemy alien" was immediately placed on non-resident Italians older than 16 years of age, and on Italian Canadians who became British subjects after September 1929.[4] The category later expanded to include nationals of belligerent states naturalized after 1922. Those affected by the War Measures Act and Defense of Canada Regulations (DOCR) [5] were forced to register with the RCMP and report to them on a monthly basis.

Some of the Italian Canadian men interned at Camp Petawawa had ties to Italian fascist organizations, but many had no political affiliation and were probably interned as a result of mistaken identity or because of false accusations.

On June 10, 1940, all fascist organizations in Canada were deemed illegal. They included the Casa D'Italia consulate on Beverley Street, the fascist newspaper Il Bolletino and the Dopolavoro (after work) social club. Casa D'Italia was seized by the Custodian of Enemy Alien Property and sold to the RCMP.[6]

A notable internee was Hamilton, Ontario's notorious bootlegger Rocco Perri.[7]

Toronto Star publisher Joseph E. Atkinson opposed fascism and the Ethiopia campaign, and the paper received a bottle of castor oil in response to an editorial titled, "A Gentlemen's Agreement", sent by a group of fascists.

Legacy

In 1990, former prime minister Brian Mulroney apologized for the war internment to a Toronto meeting of the National Congress of Italian Canadians: "On behalf of the government and the people of Canada, I offer a full and unqualified apology for the wrongs done to our fellow Canadians of Italian origin during World War II."[8]

In May 2009, Massimo Pacetti introduced bill C-302, an "Act to recognize the injustice that was done to persons of Italian origin through their "enemy alien" designation and internment during the Second World War, and to provide for restitution and promote education on Italian Canadian history [worth $2.5 million]", which was passed by the House of Commons on April 28, 2010.[9] Canada Post was also to issue a commemorative postage stamp commemorating the internment of Italian Canadian citizens,[10] however, Bill C-302 did not pass through the necessary stages to become law.[11]

In 2013, as a part of the permanent exhibition Italian Canadians as Enemy Aliens: Memories of World War II at the Columbus Centre in Toronto, funded by Villa Charities Inc and Citizenship and Immigration Canada, artist Harley Valentine created a monumentrecognizing the internments called "Riflessi: Italian Canadian Internment Memorial". The main statue is composed of several profiles—a (grand)father, internee, pregnant mother, and child—that combine to form a single figure in mirror polished stainless steel. The multiple profiles represent the full communal trauma that was caused by the locking up of individuals. The commission was to commemorate not only the dark history of internment, but also the perseverance of the Italian–Canadian community to put internment behind them and emerge in the decades following as a cornerstone of modern Canada. To that end, Valentine placed an empty marble plinth facing the statue from the opposite end of a tiled pathway, onto which visitors are able to step and see themselves reflected in the mirrored statue, completing the piece by establishing the present's connection to its past.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Canadian_internment

Edited by egghead

1 hour ago, HeadLines said:

I did not know Italians were interned in Canada during WWII. I am familiar with the Japanese internment and the hardships faced by the people whose businesses were confiscated. Many were shipped to southern Alberta. They worked for farmers. They worked really hard and rebuilt their lives successfully. It took a long time for some to let go of their anger and hurt. I know  the formal apology made by the government of Canada was something they waited for a long time. Mark Sakamoto wrote a biography called Forgiveness that tells the story of his family's experience being interned if you are interested.

Recognition that Canada allowed a bad thing to happen is not too hard for Canada and really important to the people who lived through such unfair treatment.

I always want to find out the REAL political view of Japanese in Canada pre-WW2 era (<1941) . It is because I never believe the view from their offsprings. BTW, I do know few Chinese and Canadians got rich because of the  Japanese internment. I realize this is very unfair to those Japanese in the internment but I have a mix feeling about this one.

Edited by egghead

2 hours ago, egghead said:

Some of the Italian Canadian men interned at Camp Petawawa had ties to Italian fascist organizations, but many had no political affiliation and were probably interned as a result of mistaken identity or because of false accusations.

The RCMP weren't very good at sorting out who were fascists. Hysteria was peaking. They should have been interning the Nazi-sympathizer British Orangemen.Oh wait ... that was the cops. <my bad> :o

I think you mean your title to disparage Trudeau/political grandstanding, but that's not the way it reads. 

An Italian-Canadian may well see your title as an ethnic slur directed at all Italians.

Your disgruntled attitude in your posts ... is that anti-Italian sentiment?

Because that's how it reads.

1 minute ago, jacee said:

The RCMP weren't very good at sorting out who were fascists. Hysteria was peaking. They should have been interning the Nazi-sympathizer British Orangemen.Oh wait ... that was the cops. <my bad> :o

I think you mean your title to disparage Trudeau/political grandstanding, but that's not the way it reads. 

An Italian-Canadian may well see your title as an ethnic slur directed at all Italians.

Because that's how it reads.

Whatnever you said :rolleyes:

I don't care it is Jap, chinese, native, white, Italians, yellow, german, black, brown. I see no color and races. I only see fair and unfair :P

1 minute ago, jacee said:

Seems like ordinary run-of-the-mill conservative sentiment to me.

It bears mentioning that the right-wing is not a race so wiping it out shouldn't require any apologies - a big thank you would be more likely.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, egghead said:

I always want to find out the REAL political view of Japanese in Canada pre-WW2 era (<1941) . It is because I never believe the view from their offsprings. BTW, I do know few Chinese and Canadians got rich because of the  Japanese internment. I realize this is very unfair to those Japanese in the internment but I have a mix feeling about this one.

Fair enough. The biography I referenced has historical references and indicates the predominant industry that gained from removing the Japanese was fishing. The Japanese Canadians were successful fisherman. Regarding the Italian apology we (Canada) are working on a trade deal with Italy. WWII is part of Canadian history that surfaced again. Part of any negotiation is  give and take. Even though most of the world was unfair during WWII apologies for past behavior, when sincere, can smooth conversations in the present. Selling Canadian goods is part of the PM job.

15 hours ago, eyeball said:

Seems like ordinary run-of-the-mill conservative sentiment to me.

It bears mentioning that the right-wing is not a race so wiping it out shouldn't require any apologies - a big thank you would be more likely.

not conservative, lib, right-wing, left-wing, it is right and wrong 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, egghead said:

not conservative, lib, right-wing, left-wing, it is right and wrong 

No it's definitely right-wing. You mentioned you only see what's fair and unfair in another post.  If you were a lefty you'd be whining about what's equal and unequal.

28 minutes ago, HeadLines said:

Fair enough. The biography I referenced has historical references and indicates the predominant industry that gained from removing the Japanese was fishing. The Japanese Canadians were successful fisherman. Regarding the Italian apology we (Canada) are working on a trade deal with Italy. WWII is part of Canadian history that surfaced again. Part of any negotiation is  give and take. Even though most of the world was unfair during WWII apologies for past behavior, when sincere, can smooth conversations in the present. Selling Canadian goods is part of the PM job.

As I said, it is not fair. I highly doubt that  Italian–Canadian community, native coummunity, chinese –Canadian community, and japanese-–Canadian community had the same suffered. Now, it is a participation ribbon. Beside,  Brian Mulroney apologized already.

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

No it's definitely right-wing. You mentioned you only see what's fair and unfair in another post.  If you were a lefty you'd be whining about what's equal and unequal.

sorry, my bad, I thought it is the same meaning (fair, unfair, equal, unequal), and I thought right-winger would say "suck it up, no pain no gain" :mellow:

3 minutes ago, egghead said:

As I said, it is not fair. I highly doubt that  Italian–Canadian community, native coummunity, chinese –Canadian community, and japanese-–Canadian community had the same suffered. Now, it is a participation ribbon. Beside,  Brian Mulroney apologized already.

Well if we get the trade deal  it's all good.  We need lots of trade partners for times when our American neighbors lose their minds. 

On 6/17/2019 at 8:53 AM, HeadLines said:

Well if we get the trade deal  it's all good.  We need lots of trade partners for times when our American neighbors lose their minds. 

I thought italy was in EU, or there was itexit already.

On the other hand, you may be right. Then, If JT and his minions believe a trade deal with Italy can resurrect Canada Econ, We have a serious problem :wacko:

Edited by egghead

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2019 at 10:38 AM, scribblet said:

May Trudeau should apologize to all Canadian for screwing them over.

I actually didn't know that Italians in Canada where mistreated, it all sounds very vague.  Didn't everyone struggle during the war?

He says during the war, Italian Canadian families and businesses struggled and no one was held responsible.

Actually, many Italian  families got the same treatment as the Japanese in Canada got.