I don't like Trudeau, but I have to admit...

On the surface, I have to admit, I really don't like Trudeau's self unawareness. His speeches make me cringe. Once in a while, when he's off script, he sounds a bit human, but it's few and far between. Looking at his policies, his handling of our climate policy is something I despise. It's fake. Much like his facebook profile update speeches. Dry, empty and scripted. Carbon tax? C'mon. A ploy. Once championed by the Conservatives, now, suddenly, turned into a "leftist anti-energy" or "leftist anti-economy" propaganda headline by the conservatives and a "Champion of the environment" headline by the Liberals. Why can't we just be honest about this? All carbon tax does is prolong the process so that the old economy can squeeze the last few drops of their toxic product and system. Too bad the money it makes, will not come anywhere close to the money we need to pay for the climate disasters that will only continue to increase.

Side note: Remember when Kenney cancelled the carbon tax law in Alberta, because "oh it's such a hippy, green peace, vegan, organic policy that's killing our economy!". But then he had to cancel the party, because Alberta was on fire... in May! Heh. So sad. :(

But I'm not here to whine about the things I don't like about the current government. I can go on all night about that. I'm here to confuse the one-dimensional, dishonest, party cheerleaders who are either plain ignorant or willfully pretend and look the other way when the narrative falls off the political hack script.

So yeah, the unemployment rate continues to set records. We have not seen unemployment this low for over 40 years. So how do the vigilantes, whose number one platform is supposed to be the economy and jobs are to respond to this conundrum? Especially with the elections around the corner?

I'm predicting red herrings. They will continue to scare people with immigration.. BOO! We will probably hear some noise from the loud, keyboard pounding, small town bigots screaming Muslim takeover?! 

Edited by marcus
  • Like 1

The employment rate hasn't set any records. The record level of employment was in Feb 2008 at 63.7%. 1.5 points higher than the current level. UNemployment figures can be misleading. Let's say there were 100,000 people who were unemployed last month and out of those 100,000 people, 1000 simply gave up looking for work. The next report would say only 99,000 people were unemployed. Of course you'll note that employment numbers mean any employment when it should only be for gainful employment. A single part-time job isn't "employment", it's a hobby.

1 hour ago, Armchairprophet said:

The employment rate hasn't set any records. The record level of employment was in Feb 2008 at 63.7%. 1.5 points higher than the current level. UNemployment figures can be misleading. Let's say there were 100,000 people who were unemployed last month and out of those 100,000 people, 1000 simply gave up looking for work. The next report would say only 99,000 people were unemployed. Of course you'll note that employment numbers mean any employment when it should only be for gainful employment. A single part-time job isn't "employment", it's a hobby.

Unemployment stats are calculated in a consistent way to provide data that are comparable year-to-year, month-to-month, etc. 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/190510/dq190510a-eng.htm

Look in the yellow section at the bottom to see how terms (e.g.. parttime - fulltime) are defined so stats are comparable. 

Unemployment rates are the most accurate indicator, cleaned of all Canadians not seeking work: children under 15, seniors, students, disabled/unable to work, etc. 

The 'Employment' rate you cited is a less stable indicator as it's based on everyone15&over, whether seeking work/employable or not. 

1 hour ago, Armchairprophet said:

I understand what you mean. But this situation would be the same across the board. Meaning that whether the report is from 2019 or from 2008, only 99,000 would be reported as unemployed. As it stands right now, you cannot take away from the fact that since the Liberals have come to power, unemployment rate has gone down considerably. Whether it's their policies or natural waves you see in economies, or a combination of both, the Liberals sit much better than the previous Conservative government did, when it comes to the unemployment rate.

Well....I'm still amused by that pile of plastic garbage we dumped in Asia.  What does Trudeau expect them to do - dump them in the ocean?   And Trudeau dragged his heels in picking them up (I hope he gets the bill big-time)!   After all, pollution isn't free anymore - right, McKenna?

Carbon tax update: Looks like there will be an increase with this carbon tax.  That's the report that came out from the Budget Officer - not any Conservative politicians. 

Surprise?  Nope.  With all the spending they're doing, he needs to get his hands on serious money! 

Edited by betsy

Btw.....

More than 200 people will gather in downtown Beijing to celebrate Canada’s 152nd birthday with the Canada Day in Beijing Gala Dinner on June 21, 2019! The evening will feature the very best of Canadian lobster, beef, and wines and lively entertainment with Madame et son Orchestre and Janaia.

https://ccbc.com/event/sold-out-canada-day-2019/

Will the two Canadian prisoners be allowed to attend?

Edited by betsy

6 minutes ago, betsy said:

Well....I'm still amused by that pile of plastic garbage we dumped in Asia.  What does Trudeau expect them to do - dump them in the ocean?  

You're going to blame Trudeau for something done by a private company during the Harper government. A company that no longer exists? Political hacks do that.

8 hours ago, jacee said:

Unemployment rates are the most accurate indicator, cleaned of all Canadians not seeking work: children under 15, seniors, students, disabled/unable to work, etc.

'etc' included discouraged workers. This is well known by economists and statcan alike.

10 hours ago, marcus said:

I understand what you mean. But this situation would be the same across the board. Meaning that whether the report is from 2019 or from 2008, only 99,000 would be reported as unemployed. 

But that's not how it works though. Every time someone gives up looking for a job, they disappear from the unemployment stats. So let's say there were 100,000 people unemployed at the beginning of May. During that month none of them found jobs so 1000 people gave up looking for work. The end of May would show that only 99,000 people were unemployed. Now, let's say in June none of 99,000 find work and as a result, another 1500 give up looking. June's report will state that 97,500 people are unemployed even though the other 2500 still don't have jobs. Assuming of course nobody else lost their job in the meantime.

The other factor is public sector jobs. While it IS employment, it's questionable as to whether they make much of a contribution to the economy. What I mean by that is, public servants are paid out of the tax coffers. That's money that came from you and I that we're unable to spend ourselves. Public sector salaries couldn't be paid without the taxes from the private sector, or without burying the province/country in debt by borrowing the money. Now I know someone will try to be smart and say, "But they pay taxes too". If you are the type that would respond that way, might I suggest you re-read  this paragraph and think hard about it.

As for the comparison to 2008, I think that may have confused you a bit. 2008 referred the employment rate not the unemployment rate. The employment rate tells you specifically the total percentage of the working age population that has a job. Unemployment rates only tell you how many people are actively seeking work. It doesn't reflect the number of seniors, people on welfare or disability or the homeless. Nor those who have given up looking or went back to school for whatever. I included seniors simply because there are quite a few of them who continue working past retirement age but are not counted in [un]employment stats.

As for the comparison to the previous govt, Harper was also dealing with a global recession. One that hit the US hard, particularly because it was of its own making. The dump in the US economy had a major ripple effect up here, compounded by said global recession. Canada actually did quite well through that period although not all credit goes to Harper by a long shot. It's just the way Canada was set up. What scares me is Groper is working hard to change that.  But let's look another interesting factor. The last unemployment figures also showed good job gains, most in the private sector and most of them full-time. And ALL the noticeable gains were in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec and PEI. Ontario and Quebec with the largest gains. Now, what's similar about all 4 of those provinces? They all have anti-Trudeau Conservative premiers, albeit all 4 were elected just within the last year.

12 hours ago, jacee said:

Unemployment stats are calculated in a consistent way to provide data that are comparable year-to-year, month-to-month, etc. 

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/190510/dq190510a-eng.htm

Look in the yellow section at the bottom to see how terms (e.g.. parttime - fulltime) are defined so stats are comparable. 

The 'Employment' rate you cited is a less stable indicator as it's based on everyone15&over, whether seeking work/employable or not. 

In Canada, the employment rate measures the number of people who have a job as a percentage of the working age population. Last time I checked, 15 wasn't working age. And I know how unemployment is calculated. My father  was working at the senior level  E.I. when it still stood for 'Employment and Immigration'. In fact he's the one who originally said, "part-time work isn't a job, it's a hobby". I would add to that though; Unless you have two PT jobs that give you 40 hours. Hell, my first "regular" work out of high school was Mon-Wed-Fri at a haberdashery and Tue & Thur hauling flammable and explosive gases. It was great. One day I'd work with people and help them pick out a nice ensemble, the next day I'd be driving around and enjoying the freedom and scenery. 

14 hours ago, marcus said:

You're going to blame Trudeau for something done by a private company during the Harper government. A company that no longer exists? Political hacks do that.

....of course I'm blaming Trudeau.   He's the one currently in office - why did it take the Philippines to make ultimatums for him to respond.  And, now Malaysia!    Why drag his heels? 

So what if  it's a private company, and that it no longer exist?   Lol!  Is that an excuse? :lol:  Pathetic.

Trudeau is the one who puffs about an emergency on climate change, right?    Pollution is no longer free - that's the McKenna mantra!   THE SKY IS FALLING!

If that's so...... what about those tons of plastics?   Does he want them to end in the ocean?

Edited by betsy

On 6/10/2019 at 4:53 AM, marcus said:

So yeah, the unemployment rate continues to set records. We have not seen unemployment this low for over 40 years. So how do the vigilantes, whose number one platform is supposed to be the economy and jobs are to respond to this conundrum? Especially with the elections around the corner?

I'm predicting red herrings. They will continue to scare people with immigration.. BOO! We will probably hear some noise from the loud, keyboard pounding, small town bigots screaming Muslim takeover?! 

Those stats are questionable, but even if they do indicate a real increase, I do not see how you can credit Mr. Trudeau for that. Liberals have no magic formula. If anything, an increase in production and work with our biggest trading partner has a spill-over effect towards us, and that means more jobs right there. So in other words, thanks again to Donald Trump.

- No people in the world like to have strangers come into their community, especially if the newcomers don't/ won't or cannot integrate. Small towns are mono-cultures, atomic units of rural Canadian culture. They are like squares in the mosaic. At what point do squares have a right to be protected.

5 hours ago, Armchairprophet said:

In Canada, the employment rate measures the number of people who have a job as a percentage of the working age population. Last time I checked, 15 wasn't working age.

In which province? Legal working age varies across the country, and sometimes with the type of job:

https://www.legaljobs.ca/minimum-legal-age-of-employment-canada/

I assume that StatsCan used a median legal age of employment, but you could check their data desscriptions if you want to dispute that. 

And I know how unemployment is calculated. My father  was working at the senior level  E.I. when it still stood for 'Employment and Immigration'. In fact he's the one who originally said, "part-time work isn't a job, it's a hobby". I would add to that though; Unless you have two PT jobs that give you 40 hours. Hell, my first "regular" work out of high school was Mon-Wed-Fri at a haberdashery and Tue & Thur hauling flammable and explosive gases. It was great. One day I'd work with people and help them pick out a nice ensemble, the next day I'd be driving around and enjoying the freedom and scenery.

Part-time work is pretty common for teenagers. It's also much more common nowfor people to support themselves on more than one part-time job. Also common for mothers with young children, retired people and others to work part-time. 

I agree in regards to Harper going through a global recession. I did mention the different variables involved in the OP. Anyway, you're trying too hard to deny the obvious and sidestep the fact that the economy is doing fairly well compared to the past decades. Give credit where credit is due. Here is more information on jobs:

Canada’s economy posted record job gains in April that, along with a pick-up in wages, is the strongest signal yet the country is coming out of a six-month stint of weakness.

Employment rose by 106,500 in April, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, the biggest one-month increase in data going back to 1976. That trounced the median economist forecast for a gain of 12,000 positions. The country’s jobless rate dropped to 5.7 per cent, and is hovering near four-decade lows.

“As much as I try to poke holes in these numbers, I can’t,” Derek Holt, an economist at Scotiabank, said by phone from Toronto. “You’ve got sector breadth, you’ve got regional breadth, the four biggest provinces are up.”

Canada made it through a global recession because of the Canadian banking system. PM Harper had an advantage other leaders did not. PM Trudeau gets to deal with  Cheeto Man and the chaos a world power is creating everywhere. I am not sure the other party leaders would do as well as he and his government are doing.

On 6/13/2019 at 1:54 PM, marcus said:

I understand what you mean. But this situation would be the same across the board. Meaning that whether the report is from 2019 or from 2008, only 99,000 would be reported as unemployed. As it stands right now, you cannot take away from the fact that since the Liberals have come to power, unemployment rate has gone down considerably. Whether it's their policies or natural waves you see in economies, or a combination of both, the Liberals sit much better than the previous Conservative government did, when it comes to the unemployment rate.

I like Trudeau. He has his own agenda as any PM does. Equity for working women is important. Taking aboriginal complaints seriously is the only way to end the complaints.  Balancing the needs of ten diverse provinces, Donald Trump chaos, a deteriorating environment, unfair tariffs and being placed in the path of an angry Chinese government are all very important serious considerations. A little internal sabotage that got out of hand was surprising. Any other PM would have ousted JWR and Jane Philpott immediately. Dealing with an opposition party with one goal 

On 6/14/2019 at 5:47 AM, betsy said:

....of course I'm blaming Trudeau.   He's the one currently in office - why did it take the Philippines to make ultimatums for him to respond.  And, now Malaysia!    Why drag his heels? 

So what if  it's a private company, and that it no longer exist?   Lol!  Is that an excuse? :lol:  Pathetic.

Trudeau is the one who puffs about an emergency on climate change, right?    Pollution is no longer free - that's the McKenna mantra!   THE SKY IS FALLING!

If that's so...... what about those tons of plastics?   Does he want them to end in the ocean?

Trudeau has cleaned up a lot of messes previous governments swept under the rug. The plastics are being dealt with now.

I like Trudeau. He has to be careful what he says because he  is under constant barrage by an opposition party that has forsaken what is best for Canada. Since recovering from the shock of losing the election to the Liberals the Conservatives one consistent goal has been to reduce  the popularity of the PM rather than offering better alternatives . Like all PMs Trudeau has goals he hopes to achieve while he is our PM. He has clearly stated these his goals. The economy and jobs are important.  Improving work equity for women is important. Paying attention to aboriginal complaints is important. The environment is important. Canada's position in the world as a trading partner, a human rights advocate and a defender of weaker countries is important.  A government working together is important to him and I really agree here. A back stabbing workplace wastes time that could be used more productively.  It seems every leader ends up with an unexpected problem to manage. Donald Trump's tariffs and the world chaos he has created need real diplomacy and strength to keep fair trade and Canada's human rights in balance. 

I like Trudeau because he sticks in the craw of the cowardly craven Cuckservatives, I'll keep voting for Zoolander just to punish the Cucks. 

I don't care about Canada economically, I don't need the Canadian government to make money, I don't need a j-o-b, nor do I want one.

I bought this big fancy property with landscaped gardens and now I have spend half my time gardening anyways, that's a full time job in of itself.

Trudeau will keep bringing these third world immigrants in,  and I need a third world immigrant to be my gardener.

Edited by Dougie93

11 hours ago, HeadLines said:

Trudeau has cleaned up a lot of messes previous governments swept under the rug. The plastics are being dealt with now.

He cleaned up nothing.   But he'll be cleaning out Canada in no time, just the same way Wynn had cleaned out Ontario!

The plastics?   Why only now?    What took him so long?  He has no choice.  The Philippines didn't want to wait for his turtle pace - the shipment is coming!  The plastic scandal is showing his hypocrisy.

Edited by betsy

9 hours ago, HeadLines said:

Can you list reasons you don't like him that are not about his personality or looks?

I believe how Kenney described him!  It clearly shows.

Jason Kenney Says The Prime Minister Has 'Political Depth Of A Finger Bowl'

Kenney noted that Trudeau served as opposition critic while he was immigration minister — a tenure where the Liberal MP came under fire for saying comments "off the top of [his] head."

"I know Justin. He doesn't have a clue what he's doing. This guy is an empty trust-fund millionaire who has the political depth of a finger bowl," Kenney told Bell.

"He can't read a briefing note longer than a cocktail napkin, O.K."

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/05/16/jason-kenney-finger-bowl-justin-trudeau_a_23436336/

Lol.  Just the way he  UNDIPLOMATICALLY  handled Trump at the start, is a testament!  Followed by that silly tweet inviting all refugees to come to Canada (which was really meant as a jab at Trump).....how's that for starters? 

He's got a very big mouth!

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

Without showing the pie chart and the background stories, the low unemployment rate is meaningless. BC has a booming economy, but I will say they will be in a big trouble within few years. It is because the hot money (money laundering, capital escaping ....) is driving the economy. Same as US, the good number is because companies is moving $ back to US