Is Calgary or Edmonton Better Place to Live?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They can't plant trees in a provincial park?
Hmm, thats because our river valley is a provincial park. I don't think they are too fond of treeing an area that was never treed to begin with.

I don't know, maybe they don't want to disturb the natural condition. It didn't have much trees to begin with, we are high plains area.

The west end of the park has tons of trees, just as you go towards Saskatchewan...

Either way, its Edmonton's fault (being the capital) for not planting more tree's in its provincial parks inside Calgary!! ;)

It really probably isn't up to Calgary to plant trees in there, its another jurisdiction.

They can't plant trees in a provincial park?

Hmm, thats because our river valley is a provincial park. I don't think they are too fond of treeing an area that was never treed to begin with.

I don't know, maybe they don't want to disturb the natural condition. It didn't have much trees to begin with, we are high plains area.

The west end of the park has tons of trees, just as you go towards Saskatchewan...

Either way, its Edmonton's fault (being the capital) for not planting more tree's in its provincial parks inside Calgary!! ;)

It really probably isn't up to Calgary to plant trees in there, its another jurisdiction.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses intended to avoid my declaration of factss: Calgary is brown and burned much of the time, Edmonton is green and lush.

Too true. I gave a half-arsed attempt at researching provincial parks in Alberta and couldn't find any support for that either.

Sounds like a bunch of excuses intended to avoid my declaration of factss: Calgary is brown and burned much of the time, Edmonton is green and lush.

Calgary is brown and burned much of the time, Edmonton is green and lush.

That's only true from the end of June to the middle of August,then Edmonchuck is back to being cold and white....no wonder the Oilers are doing well,their outdoor snow/ice season is longer than their indoor ice season. Has to be the longest of any NHL team.Poor Calgary can only look at the mountains for snow,while sweating out in the spring,summer and fall sun. :rolleyes:

You gotta love the Calgary inferiority complex. Let's take a look at the actually weather numbers from Statistics Canada.

Avg. Temp HI LOW Cold mth. HI LOW Warm mth. LOW HI

Edmonton 8.7 -1.5 January -8.2 -17 July 23.0 12.0

Calgary 10.3 -2.6 January -3.6 -15.7 July 23.2 9.5

Boy, what an unbelievable difference in the weather. You'd swear they were different countries. :rolleyes:

That's only true from the end of June to the middle of August,then Edmonchuck is back to being cold and white....no wonder the Oilers are doing well,their outdoor snow/ice season is longer than their indoor ice season. Has to be the longest of any NHL team.Poor Calgary can only look at the mountains for snow,while sweating out in the spring,summer and fall sun. :rolleyes:

They both are boring. No offense but if you want a nice city try Vancouver, Halifax, Montreal, Quebec City or Saint John's. They are all unique.

Calgary is a wannabee Tulsa, Oklahoma. Yah them Calgarians will track me down and kill me but the fact is it is a US wannabee town. It tries to be Tulsa or Dallas.

As for Edmonton, it is a typical civil service city. Boring. Clean. Edmonton has a huge mall and that is about it.

The only thing Calgary is good for is the fact that its fans are the best football and hockey fans you will find. Well Edmonton's too.

Both cities people are good winter drivers. Albertans in general like to eat red meat and try sound American when they speak.

Now you want a real accent go to Saint John's.

I apologize to all Westerners but now Haper is PM you get to be razzed.

(this is a tonque in cheek response please do not send Westerners to Eastern Canada looking beat up another Uppity Canadian...)

Calgary is unique within Canada. There is nothing quite like it.

Sure, you can compare it with some Texan cities. Fair enough. But I don't think thats neccessarily a bad thing. There is alot of self-reliant enterprising spirit in Calgary, and I think that contributes greatly to our success. Everyone here in the business sector wants to succeed and do well, not just 'get by' which is the impression I get from many of other Canadians.

Our winter drivers aren't bad, not good, but far better than Toronto was when I lived there. Doesn't change that in Calgary for the first 3 snowfalls of the year, the first flake means hours of traffic gridlock.

I don't think we 'want' to be a Tulsa or Dallas. In fact, the biggest comparison I've heard in the U.S. is actually Houston. Which is fine. I have no problem with our city's identity of more of a conservative, rugged town. Though its really not that way anymore. You'll see more sports cars than trucks these days... even in Calgary. But we clearly don't 'want' to be that way, we just are that way, and don't see a point in changing.

Calgary does have an incrediably higher amount of luxury cars compared to anywhere else in the world I've ever been. Driving a $50k+ foreign import or big truck is considered normal, not rich.

Now that our city is getting bigger, we do have more of a night life and arts scene. It's small compared to a Montreal obviously, but its developing, and its very unique.

The way I see it, Calgary is about limitless opportunity. You come here to make your moola, anyone can if they have the drive. I even hear it from most of the Eastern imports out here... I came out to make some money.

That's the way of life out here, work hard, play hard, make a buck. It's truly a unique attitude compared to the rest of Canada.

I don't think we 'want' to be a Tulsa or Dallas. In fact, the biggest comparison I've heard in the U.S. is actually Houston. Which is fine. I have no problem with our city's identity of more of a conservative, rugged town.

I think you should neither want to emulate nor assume Houston as a peer. Seriously.

I don't think we 'want' to be a Tulsa or Dallas. In fact, the biggest comparison I've heard in the U.S. is actually Houston. Which is fine. I have no problem with our city's identity of more of a conservative, rugged town.

I think you should neither want to emulate nor assume Houston as a peer. Seriously.

Houston without racial tensions or rampant crime?

Houston:

- complete lack of land use zoning: it is very common to see a sky scraper wedged between a tar-roofed shack and a church, and common to see things like a KFC with a drive through window in the middle of the business district

- even within the city limits, it's main architectural quality can be best described as "sprawl"

- bubbas

- let's not forget about the permanent malodorous petrochemical cloud that cloaks the city when the wind blows a certain way

- suburbanites with big hair and big SUVs who feel it is their duty to talk to about how important it is to have Jesus as your personal savior

If you think of the most stereotypical Bush supporter, all you have to do is go to Houston's environs to see your worst fears realized. Calgary can do better in choosing a role model.

That's true. No where have I encountered a case where self-image and reality diverge so dramatically. For example, all the rhetoric of rugged individualism obscures the fact that Calgary's wealth, rooted as it is in the oil industry, is owed as much to government intervention as entrepenurial initiative.

If I come off like a Calgary hater here, that's because I hate Calgary. Off all the cities I've travelled in, Calgary is the one the embodies the decline western civilization: the "me me me" attitude, the obsession with status, the disdain for the environment and sustainability, the capitalist idolatry etc etc etc. Calgary is a city without a soul: it's basically a large open air shopping mall-cum-business park.

The way I see it, Calgary is about limitless opportunity. You come here to make your moola, anyone can if they have the drive. I even hear it from most of the Eastern imports out here... I came out to make some money.

Except there's no such thing as "limitless opportunity" when your wealth is based on a limited resource.

That's true. No where have I encountered a case where self-image and reality diverge so dramatically. For example, all the rhetoric of rugged individualism obscures the fact that Calgary's wealth, rooted as it is in the oil industry, is owed as much to government intervention as entrepenurial initiative.

If I come off like a Calgary hater here, that's because I hate Calgary. Off all the cities I've travelled in, Calgary is the one the embodies the decline western civilization: the "me me me" attitude, the obsession with status, the disdain for the environment and sustainability, the capitalist idolatry etc etc etc. Calgary is a city without a soul: it's basically a large open air shopping mall-cum-business park.

Except there's no such thing as "limitless opportunity" when your wealth is based on a limited resource.

The limited resource your talking about must be the Oil & Gas sector, the Gas part will greatly decline within our life times, but so far as the Oil in Alberta is concerned, we will come up with a new source of energy before we ever get close to depleting all the oil trapped under our great province..... and so far as your comment about Calgary having no soul, well, it's just a different kind of soul brother, the soul of my city is progressive, hopeful, determined and pretty god dammed happy, it's not the typical defeated type you find inside most Canadians....... as far as the Calgary or Edmonton question is concerned, being a native Calgarian I will be bias and tell the original poster to choose Calgary, I've only been to Edmonton a few times but I can't honestly see anyone choosing Edmonton over Calgary, Edmonton is just too far away from the mountains, something like 200 or so miles, and our Rockies are what make our province unique, they truely are world class....

Having been in Ontario most of my life, the thing that an Easterner first notices about Albertans is their friendliness toward each other and to strangers.

Stand in a grocery line and people who don't know each other smile and chat while waiting to be seved.

Looking bewildered and lost,people ask if they can help.

Each area of Calgary is like a small town,each with a community or recreational centre that belongs to the community.

Here neighbours get together to do things for the good of the community.

People volunteer their time there, and in the whole of Calgary to help those less fortunate and in need.

Volunteering is part of most Calgarians life style,either for those in need,sports,or just to help in events.Everyone volunteers their time as well as money to some cause.

Schools give the kids time off for community involvement and I believe community involvement is actually part of the education system.

It's a whole different mind set from back east.People care for one another and it is part of being in the city.

It's not flaunted,it's just part of living in the city.

Events are family oriented and allow for families to take part in events all year round,cost is minimal.

A great place to raise a family with lots to do in a great variety of interests.

Calgary, and I'm sure Edmonton is the same,big cities that feel like small towns,and it's not phony,it really feels small town.

In Alberta people care about other people , their community and their city.

Unless you spend a reasonable amount of time here, you'll never reallly know how absolutely unique and refreshing living here is.

The rest of Canada could learn from Alberta life :)

• 3 years later...
Having been in Ontario most of my life, the thing that an Easterner first notices about Albertans is their friendliness toward each other and to strangers.

Stand in a grocery line and people who don't know each other smile and chat while waiting to be seved.

Looking bewildered and lost,people ask if they can help.

Each area of Calgary is like a small town,each with a community or recreational centre that belongs to the community.

Here neighbours get together to do things for the good of the community.

People volunteer their time there, and in the whole of Calgary to help those less fortunate and in need.

Volunteering is part of most Calgarians life style,either for those in need,sports,or just to help in events.Everyone volunteers their time as well as money to some cause.

Schools give the kids time off for community involvement and I believe community involvement is actually part of the education system.

It's a whole different mind set from back east.People care for one another and it is part of being in the city.

It's not flaunted,it's just part of living in the city.

Events are family oriented and allow for families to take part in events all year round,cost is minimal.

A great place to raise a family with lots to do in a great variety of interests.

Calgary, and I'm sure Edmonton is the same,big cities that feel like small towns,and it's not phony,it really feels small town.

In Alberta people care about other people , their community and their city.

Unless you spend a reasonable amount of time here, you'll never reallly know how absolutely unique and refreshing living here is.

The rest of Canada could learn from Alberta life :)

I don't know about that! I have lived in calgary almost 41 years and can't wait to get the hell out of here!Right now I find Calgary a crime ridden city,if I lived in the U.S I would not go down the street without a .45 and Calgary is the same way. I was born here and never left but I want too! the last 20 years it has gone down hill the City is a Sh** hole. Maybe I am this way because my family has been here since the early 1900s? Calgary is not cow town anymore and I miss her very much.

Pfft. Yeah, Calgary i so scary :rolleyes: .

I have to take issue with the other post though. People in Toronto seemed quite friendly when I was there earlier this summer.

Calgary yeah oh so scary...I live here and don't like it, Calgary can never be home it's completely soulless(as is Edmonton which is ugly as well), keep hoping the wife will lose her job(won't happen) so we can move...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...