Toronto Needs More NHL Teams

For 40 years Canadians have seen the NHL expand into US markets where the locals have little interest in hockey.  We understand that in some cases this has been a good thing for hockey, expanding interest in the sport and creating new hockey markets.  We also understand that sometimes the local Canadian hockey market couldn’t afford to support the team, as was the case briefly in Winnipeg and Quebec, mainly due to the currency exchange rate.  However, hockey markets like Montreal and especially Toronto are starving for additional NHL teams.  Toronto could easily support an additional two teams, probably one west of the city and one to the north.  

NHL Commissioner Gary Betman shut down expansion into Toronto when investors wanted to move the money losing Phoenix Coyotes to Toronto.  Betman would rather prop up money losing US teams than add teams in markets where people love hockey and would fill seats in arenas.  Yes there are US expansion success stories, such as Nashville, but it’s ridiculous that teams like the Florida Panthers should exist while Toronto has only one NHL team.  The city of Toronto is now bigger than the city of Chicago, which has two Major League Baseball teams.  If Chicago can support two baseball teams, surely Toronto can support two hockey teams.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

It has less to do with how much Canadians love hockey and more to do with the economics of sharing existing revenue streams with more franchises in Canada.  Present Canadian owners do not want to dilute their share from the Canadian ticket and television revenues, especially when the Canadian dollar can ride up or down like a roller coaster...mainly down right now.  This also contributed to relocations of Canadian teams to U.S. markets.

Also, resistance in Canada by owners was infamous when trying to bring WHL teams into the league.    So it is not just Gary Betman you have to convince.  The Canadian market has less volatility than in the 1990's, but the past it is not easily forgotten by owners that have to pay ever increasing salaries...in U.S. dollars.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

4 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It has less to do with how much Canadians love hockey and more to do with the economics of sharing existing revenue streams with more franchises in Canada.  Present Canadian owners do not want to dilute their share from the Canadian ticket and television revenues, especially when the Canadian dollar can ride up or down like a roller coaster...mainly down right now.  This also contributed to relocations of Canadian teams to U.S. markets.

Also, resistance in Canada by owners was infamous when trying to bring WHL teams into the league.    So it is not just Gary Betman you have to convince.  The Canadian market has less volatility than in the 1990's, but the past it is not easily forgotten by owners that have to pay ever increasing salaries...in U.S. dollars.

True but it sickens me that the demand is so high for hockey in Toronto that a decent set of tickets is $150.00 when I paid $12.00 in Nashville!   It’s all corporate now in Toronto, unaffordable for families.  The Leafs will always be able to print money, even when they put crap on the ice.  They need some competition in the world’s biggest hockey market.  

On 5/27/2019 at 2:47 PM, GostHacked said:

I kind of agree. Toronto could actually use one NHL team.

Toronto needs another hockey team like I need a hole in the head. The Toronto Maple Leafs cannot even make the playoffs most times. If they do make the playoffs by the second round they have been defeated and are gone for another season. The real question here is why do Canadian teams always get defeated in the first or second round? Is there something that the American owners do better with their NHL teams than Canadian owners can do with their NHL teams to make them playoff material and get them to the finals?  Something appears to be missing here. 

On 5/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, Zeitgeist said:

For 40 years Canadians have seen the NHL expand into US markets where the locals have little interest in hockey.  We understand that in some cases this has been a good thing for hockey, expanding interest in the sport and creating new hockey markets.  We also understand that sometimes the local Canadian hockey market couldn’t afford to support the team, as was the case briefly in Winnipeg and Quebec, mainly due to the currency exchange rate.  However, hockey markets like Montreal and especially Toronto are starving for additional NHL teams.  Toronto could easily support an additional two teams, probably one west of the city and one to the north.  

NHL Commissioner Gary Betman shut down expansion into Toronto when investors wanted to move the money losing Phoenix Coyotes to Toronto.  Betman would rather prop up money losing US teams than add teams in markets where people love hockey and would fill seats in arenas.  Yes there are US expansion success stories, such as Nashville, but it’s ridiculous that teams like the Florida Panthers should exist while Toronto has only one NHL team.  The city of Toronto is now bigger than the city of Chicago, which has two Major League Baseball teams.  If Chicago can support two baseball teams, surely Toronto can support two hockey teams.  

Canada needs a Canadian NHL hockey team that can make the finals in the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup. This is supposed to be our sport but yet the American NHL teams always seem to kick our asses in the playoffs, and Canadian teams are lucky if they can make it pass the second round. Our Canadian teams try hard but they just can't seem to beat the Americans at our own game. 

The Vegas Golden Nuggets two seasons ago almost won the Stanley Cup after their first year in the NHL. Compare that to the Canadian teams who just barely qualify to make it into the playoffs teams that have been around for decades. Our NHL Canadian teams remind me of Canada these days? Both are going nowhere fast. It must be do to a lack of real interest in trying to win the Stanley Cup just like most Canadians who have no real interest in trying to make Canada great again. A little politics thrown in there.

What else can it be? You tell me. :)

1 hour ago, taxme said:

Canada needs a Canadian NHL hockey team that can make the finals in the playoffs and win a Stanley Cup. This is supposed to be our sport but yet the American NHL teams always seem to kick our asses in the playoffs, and Canadian teams are lucky if they can make it pass the second round. Our Canadian teams try hard but they just can't seem to beat the Americans at our own game. 

The Vegas Golden Nuggets two seasons ago almost won the Stanley Cup after their first year in the NHL. Compare that to the Canadian teams who just barely qualify to make it into the playoffs teams that have been around for decades. Our NHL Canadian teams remind me of Canada these days? Both are going nowhere fast. It must be do to a lack of real interest in trying to win the Stanley Cup just like most Canadians who have no real interest in trying to make Canada great again. A little politics thrown in there.

What else can it be? You tell me. :)

Let’s hope we can do it in basketball!

22 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Let’s hope we can do it in basketball!

I am not much of a basket ball fan but I do hope that the Raptors can pull it off. It is for sure that when it comes to Canadian football we know that the Grey Cup will be won and stay in Canada. Lol. 

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:13 PM, taxme said:

I am not much of a basket ball fan but I do hope that the Raptors can pull it off. It is for sure that when it comes to Canadian football we know that the Grey Cup will be won and stay in Canada. Lol. 

You do realize Drake is half Jewish and the Raptors are  team of  many black men and yegads a Chinese back-up. Careful now who you embrace Taxme. As for your NHL team you probably would want to call them the Toronto Albinos. That aside, I am happy you can see past their colour and take pride in your city led by the performance of for the most part Black Americans and a Spaniard, Mark Gasol. Makes you feel kind of warm and fuzzy doesn't it and led by  the half Jewish cheer leader and the Punjabi  Superfan. Ironically the Raptors serve as a multi-cultural pride symbol and you embrace it. Next I can teach you how to dance the horah once the Raps win. Actually man, Golden State is awesome. They have a lot of injuries. If Durant was there they would easily have won it. Leonard has a bad knee too. However its gut check time for the Raps tonight. They got injuries on their side against the Warriors they need to take advantage of while they can.The Warriors are bigger and have better 3 point shooters and Seth is fantastic. The Raps were great in game 1. Hope they can find that confidence again. Pascal shows flashes of brilliance. Danny Green please step up dude you've been a dud. Norm Powell has been absolutely fantasic off the bench.  The Raps have to step up because Leonard has been neutralized by a double team. The Warriors strategy is to limit him to 25 points a game by taking fouls instead of giving him time for 3 point shots. Its working on him but the Raps need their other guys like in game 1 to step up just like the Warriors rely on more than Super Seth. Sege Ibaka, Danny Green, step it up man we need you.

Edited by Rue

5 hours ago, Rue said:

You do realize Drake is half Jewish and the Raptors are  team of  many black men and yegads a Chinese back-up. Careful now who you embrace Taxme. As for your NHL team you probably would want to call them the Toronto Albinos. That aside, I am happy you can see past their colour and take pride in your city led by the performance of for the most part Black Americans and a Spaniard, Mark Gasol. Makes you feel kind of warm and fuzzy doesn't it and led by  the half Jewish cheer leader and the Punjabi  Superfan. Ironically the Raptors serve as a multi-cultural pride symbol and you embrace it. Next I can teach you how to dance the horah once the Raps win. Actually man, Golden State is awesome. They have a lot of injuries. If Durant was there they would easily have won it. Leonard has a bad knee too. However its gut check time for the Raps tonight. They got injuries on their side against the Warriors they need to take advantage of while they can.The Warriors are bigger and have better 3 point shooters and Seth is fantastic. The Raps were great in game 1. Hope they can find that confidence again. Pascal shows flashes of brilliance. Danny Green please step up dude you've been a dud. Norm Powell has been absolutely fantasic off the bench.  The Raps have to step up because Leonard has been neutralized by a double team. The Warriors strategy is to limit him to 25 points a game by taking fouls instead of giving him time for 3 point shots. Its working on him but the Raps need their other guys like in game 1 to step up just like the Warriors rely on more than Super Seth. Sege Ibaka, Danny Green, step it up man we need you.

Whooptie-thrill that Drake is half Jewish. Who really gives a crap? NBA American basketball is pretty much a racist sports outfit. The lack of white males and a majority of black males on all the NBA teams shows that racism runs rampant in American basketball. When one watches American college basketball, the majority of players are white players on all teams. But for some reason, when it comes to the NBA they prefer to have more black players than white players. 

Why do people like yourself have to always bring politics into most topics that should have nothing to do with politics. Things were going good here until you had to throw in your racist leftist liberal zionist taunts again. Go away. :P

Edited by taxme

Het Taxme did you see that guy attack Lowry? Was that you? You see when those "black guys" on the Raptuhs (that's how WE blacks and Jews say it)  listen to me look out. Mr. Green (well he's sort of brown) stepped it up and so did Mr. Ibaka (he's African) and Pascal (hey your future son in law). When all the Raps are rappin not just Mr. Leonard (yah I know you can't pronounce his first name)  they have a chance. Mind you the Warriors have injuries. They will be back with the injuries. This is far from over but for the most part while I want the Raps to take it I love watching super Seth (he's mullato) from any angle put it in.

Oh come on Taxme I was told by CSIS you were at the game huggin black fans. Who you kiddin. Look I will be nice to you, I won't say anything about what you think of Vlad Guerrero's braids. I agree with you on he braids.

6 hours ago, Rue said:

Het Taxme did you see that guy attack Lowry? Was that you? You see when those "black guys" on the Raptuhs (that's how WE blacks and Jews say it)  listen to me look out. Mr. Green (well he's sort of brown) stepped it up and so did Mr. Ibaka (he's African) and Pascal (hey your future son in law). When all the Raps are rappin not just Mr. Leonard (yah I know you can't pronounce his first name)  they have a chance. Mind you the Warriors have injuries. They will be back with the injuries. This is far from over but for the most part while I want the Raps to take it I love watching super Seth (he's mullato) from any angle put it in.

Oh come on Taxme I was told by CSIS you were at the game huggin black fans. Who you kiddin. Look I will be nice to you, I won't say anything about what you think of Vlad Guerrero's braids. I agree with you on he braids.

Your Zionism is not very funny. But what else can one expect from Zionists anyway but just more cuckoo-cuckoo nonsense talk. :lol:  

• Like 1

On 6/7/2019 at 2:26 PM, taxme said:

Your Zionism is not very funny. But what else can one expect from Zionists anyway but just more cuckoo-cuckoo nonsense talk. :lol:  

I can vouch for that, having suffered him for months. Just kidding. I would take a bullet for Rue. I fell on my sword recently, so he could have enjoyment of another forum.

Edited by J4L

7 hours ago, J4L said:

I can vouch for that, having suffered him for months. Just kidding. I would take a bullet for Rue. I fell on my sword recently, so he could have enjoyment of another forum.

Ouch. Don't do that.  

Now think of it. When Zion Williams begins playing in the NBA there will be a whole lot of Zionists.

Did you know: J.T. Leaf of the Indiana Pacers is a  Jewish NBA player. Omri Casspi is the only Israeli  NBA player. Oh my God the NBA Commissioner Mr, Stern I mean he is Jewish,

Hey check this out, "black" NBA Players who like Israel:

https://www.jweekly.com/2019/02/15/how-black-u-s-basketball-players-became-israels-biggest-fans/

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Sports/Why-so-many-African-American-pro-basketball-players-love-Israel-515669

Look at how Casspi the Zionist  NBA player brainwashes  NBA players:

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/omri-casspi-takes-group-of-nba-players-to-israel-072415

https://www.israel21c.org/nba-stars-make-israeli-memories/

http://global.nba.com/news/nba-fiba-israel-basketball-association-host-first-basketball-without-borders-camp-israel/ this:

I love it check this out about the HULKING HEBREW:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-only-israeli-in-nba-omri-casspi-tries-to-be-best-ambassador-he-can/

Here let's  summarize

basketball + Israeli =  Hulking Hebrew

basketball + black man + 1 white guy and 1 Chinese guy +  1 half Jew half black super fan and one  Punjabi super fan +  one African President + dinosaur = Toronto Raptors

basketball + black man + dinosaur + win = object of adoration for white supremacist

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Go Raps.

59 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I hope we get another NBA team in Canada.  The Raptors have been great on every level. 

Vancouver was the most likely site and they didn't support the Grizzlies. No other city  has the interest. Montreal is not a b-ball town. Interesting how b-ball a Canadian invented sport, just doesn't do well at the pro level here. Obviously it goes toe to toe with hockey and hockey wins every time. B-ball in Toronto has always been third fiddle to hockey then baseball. Now that they are up there, in the absence of any winners, they are numero uno but if the Leafs or Jays won titles, they would be bumped down.

That said, they are great for the city. The team this year has no big ego jack asses. This K. Leonard is one quite dude maybe even Austistic on the mild end of the syndrome but its a pleasure to see such an understated superstar. Most NBA players are illiterate narcissistic babies. This team, guys like Leonard, the Gas man (Marc Gasol), Special K (Kyle Lowry) Freddy V (Van Fleet), Serge (Ibaka),  Pascal, they are low key guys in a league of primma donnas. Its good to see guyz like that winning. Pascal looks like an alien man. I mean you see him he looks all wiry weird with those Popeyes and weird grin, but man for such a geek looking dude he is smooth, real smooth. What a story finding him. As for Kwani L, the BIG K, hes  like Moses leading the Chosen to the Promised Land. All he is missing is a stick and a white beard. Having the Raps gives Hogtown an alternative to another hockey team which it could easily support in the burbs but I'd like to see the CFL survive and put a team in H-fax. The Argoze have their own fans but they are all but forgotten and replaced by TFC. 

57 minutes ago, Rue said:

Vancouver was the most likely site and they didn't support the Grizzlies. No other city  has the interest. Montreal is not a b-ball town. Interesting how b-ball a Canadian invented sport, just doesn't do well at the pro level here. Obviously it goes toe to toe with hockey and hockey wins every time. B-ball in Toronto has always been third fiddle to hockey then baseball. Now that they are up there, in the absence of any winners, they are numero uno but if the Leafs or Jays won titles, they would be bumped down.

That said, they are great for the city. The team this year has no big ego jack asses. This K. Leonard is one quite dude maybe even Austistic on the mild end of the syndrome but its a pleasure to see such an understated superstar. Most NBA players are illiterate narcissistic babies. This team, guys like Leonard, the Gas man (Marc Gasol), Special K (Kyle Lowry) Freddy V (Van Fleet), Serge (Ibaka),  Pascal, they are low key guys in a league of primma donnas. Its good to see guyz like that winning. Pascal looks like an alien man. I mean you see him he looks all wiry weird with those Popeyes and weird grin, but man for such a geek looking dude he is smooth, real smooth. What a story finding him. As for Kwani L, the BIG K, hes  like Moses leading the Chosen to the Promised Land. All he is missing is a stick and a white beard. Having the Raps gives Hogtown an alternative to another hockey team which it could easily support in the burbs but I'd like to see the CFL survive and put a team in H-fax. The Argoze have their own fans but they are all but forgotten and replaced by TFC. 

I'm also a big Spicy P fan.  Lowry is in many ways the heart of the team.  Leonard is the superstar.  You're right, the greatness of the Raps is the lack of ego and the team play.  So much depth on the bench.  I think if they can keep the current lineup, this team has a great future.  They already have six straight years in the playoffs.  Hopefully the national excitement generates permanent interest and leads to expansion.  There is talk of returning a franchise to Vancouver.  The Montreal mayor has been pushing hard to return the Expos to Montreal and MLB is pretty receptive.  Betman has also looked at restoring an NHL team in Quebec City.  In the end it comes down to stadiums, investors, and lobbyists.  I think it's a matter of time for all of that to happen.  I agree that the CFL needs a team out east.  It's a bit tiresome hearing how the Maritimes can't afford to support any big league teams.  It's about time the Irving or McCain families stepped up and bought a CFL franchise, perhaps a handful of investors.  Moncton might be a better spot than Halifax because it would draw from New Brunswick, PEI (straight off the Confederation Bridge), and Nova Scotia.  We need 10 teams in the CFL to make the playoffs really meaningful.  It's a league worth protecting because of its storied and long history.  Its supporters are passionate and there's a huge following in certain markets, especially out west.  I just don't know why we don't already have another NHL team in Toronto.  Everyone in the GTA wants it and every game would sell out.  The NHL seems intent on abandoning its biggest market and adding franchises where there's no tradition of ice hockey and people are pretty indifferent to the sport.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2019 at 7:55 AM, Rue said:

Ouch. Don't do that.  

Now think of it. When Zion Williams begins playing in the NBA there will be a whole lot of Zionists.

Did you know: J.T. Leaf of the Indiana Pacers is a  Jewish NBA player. Omri Casspi is the only Israeli  NBA player. Oh my God the NBA Commissioner Mr, Stern I mean he is Jewish,

Hey check this out, "black" NBA Players who like Israel:

https://www.jweekly.com/2019/02/15/how-black-u-s-basketball-players-became-israels-biggest-fans/

https://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Sports/Why-so-many-African-American-pro-basketball-players-love-Israel-515669

Look at how Casspi the Zionist  NBA player brainwashes  NBA players:

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/omri-casspi-takes-group-of-nba-players-to-israel-072415

https://www.israel21c.org/nba-stars-make-israeli-memories/

http://global.nba.com/news/nba-fiba-israel-basketball-association-host-first-basketball-without-borders-camp-israel/ this:

I love it check this out about the HULKING HEBREW:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/as-only-israeli-in-nba-omri-casspi-tries-to-be-best-ambassador-he-can/

Here let's  summarize

basketball + Israeli =  Hulking Hebrew

basketball + black man + 1 white guy and 1 Chinese guy +  1 half Jew half black super fan and one  Punjabi super fan +  one African President + dinosaur = Toronto Raptors

basketball + black man + dinosaur + win = object of adoration for white supremacist

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Go Raps.

It certainly looks to me like there is some racism going on here against white gentile males getting to play basketball in the NBA. Deplorable. :(

Go, Raptors, go. :D

Edited by taxme

On 6/9/2019 at 12:36 AM, J4L said:

That would be such a stupid bloody thing for anyone to do is to take a bullet for a zionist. Just saying. 

Go, Raptors, go. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Being the only NBA basketball team in the country, the Raptors became Canada’s team in that final. Basketball looks like it’s in the way up in Canada, unlike hockey. The franchise system does have some good aspects but the worst thing about it is that it rewards mediocrity. The Leafs owners can turn out a useless team every year and still have an asset worth more than a billion. 

On 6/9/2019 at 12:59 PM, Rue said:

You did see the 2 million people that showed up to that Parade? 

Winning begats support. 

Basketball and Soccer will surpass Hockey for support in multicultural urban areas. 

Hockey is a snobby and expensive sport to get into. And you need a frozen rink to play in an organized fashion. With Soccer, all you need is a field and with Basketball all you need is a school gym. 

Soccer and Basketball are sports of the future. Internationally, people care more about the Raptors than they do with the Leafs. 

Hockey will always be popular in Canada, because it's "our" sport. But new Canadians, and their families, won't develop the affinity to it as past generations have. 

That being said, Toronto needs a second team and Gary Bettman is a greedy moron for giving teams to Vegas and Seattle before the larger GTA (Hamilton?) and Quebec City. 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1