Does Trump know what Tariffs are?

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

The game was not just China though, however much you'd like to pretend it was.  You yourself very clearly and very specifically said multi-national corporations and their ability to influence laws in countries that they do business in - countries you said, not just one country, China.   You've very clearly said that you oppose the same globalization that you people have been spitting on others for opposing for decades.  You've got some bloody nerve opining about inconsistency.

I am sorry if you cannot accept that this thread is about tariffs Donald Trump imposed on China. It is not about other countries, or the Jews.

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

It is absurd that lefties have to hound you people on the specific definitions and exact meanings behind every word you say but its because you're all weasels to the core

That's not what happened. You just assumed a bunch of nonsense and started spouting off your usual tangled mess of confused ideas. Learn what words mean first.

5 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

I am sorry if you cannot accept that this thread is about tariffs Donald Trump imposed on China.

Actually it's about whether Trump even knows what tariffs are.  Given his supporters knowledge of the global stage upon which Trump is waving his tariffs around then probably not.  They have no more clue about what they're cheering for than Trump has about what he's promising them.

That's not what happened. You just assumed a bunch of nonsense and started spouting off your usual tangled mess of confused ideas. Learn what words mean first.

Okay if you say so.

wea·sel
/ˈwēzəl/
verb
gerund or present participle: weaseling
  1. achieve something by use of cunning or deceit.
    "she suspects me of trying to weasel my way into his affections"
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      behave or talk evasively.

16 hours ago, eyeball said:

Actually it's about whether Trump even knows what tariffs are.  Given his supporters knowledge of the global stage upon which Trump is waving his tariffs around then probably not.  They have no more clue about what they're cheering for than Trump has about what he's promising them.

Did we understand tarffis? I don't.  However, "tariffs" is an easy term for his supporters to connect. I highly doubt that his base will understand all WTO rules that China broke. 

We all only read the tariff effect from a text book. Then,  nothing in US moved when tariffs was 10%.

StG3iyv.png

1 hour ago, egghead said:

We all only read the tariff effect from a text book. Then,  nothing in US moved when tariffs was 10%.

We can also use our brains. Obviously the tariffs hurt both sides, and that is most likely their actual purpose; only they hope tariffs will eventually hurt the Chinese more, where the US economy can sustain the damage for longer time. This is an economic war of attrition.

Edited by OftenWrong
quote thingy no worky

2 hours ago, egghead said:

Did we understand tarffis? I don't.  However, "tariffs" is an easy term for his supporters to connect. I highly doubt that his base will understand all WTO rules that China broke.

Fricken' morons don't even understand what globalization means - probably explains why they think climate change is about the weather.

On 5/19/2019 at 10:02 PM, eyeball said:

Hmmm...

The term "globalist" has been used a pejorative for political enemies who are perceived as too "cosmopolitan" or favoring international projects over national ones. For example, during the election and presidency of United States president Donald Trump and members of his administration used the term globalist on multiple occasions, associating the term specifically with Jewish critics of the Trump Administration. The administration was accused of using the term as an anti-Semitic "dog whistle", to associate their critics with a Jewish conspiracy.

That's a huge joke, top to bottom.

People aren't upset about "favouring international projects". People are upset about hundreds of millions of dollars going to projects that were never talked about during elections, etc. Like for example when Trudeau won the election and he just went on a huge overseas spending spree. If he knew that he was going to give all that money away he should have told us first.

The incredibly stupid part is the bit about Trump being an anti-Semitic dog whistler. You could just as easily call Ellen Degeneris a gay-basher. Trump has supported Israel more than any other POTUS. There's no one on earth who thinks that they can attack Israel with impunity while Trump is President. If he's really an anti_semite then he's doing a phenomenal job of hiding it.

5 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

That's a huge joke, top to bottom.

You're free to edit the article that quote was taken from.  Be prepared for people who will ask you to explain what you mean by a huge joke and provide evidence and sources of information to buttress your explanation.

People aren't upset about "favouring international projects". People are upset about hundreds of millions of dollars going to projects that were never talked about during elections, etc. Like for example when Trudeau won the election and he just went on a huge overseas spending spree. If he knew that he was going to give all that money away he should have told us first.

Did you mean to post this in another thread about something completely unrelated to this by chance? 

The incredibly stupid part is the bit about Trump being an anti-Semitic dog whistler.

I think he's just plain stupid and his supporters are forced to tie themselves into knots trying to justify their support.  In any case and like conservative politicians in a lot of places these days it's probably not their fault they seem to attract racists and other scumbags to their ranks. It just is what it is.

I think there's a misunderstanding of what the tariff were suppose to achieve. Its about removing china from the global supply chain. Manufacturer who want to produce for the largest consumer market (US) now need to build factories outside of china or source parts anywhere other than china. It's all about breaking the Made in China 2025 initiative by Xijingping. This is why I think the tariffs are permanent. The biggest priority for the Trump administration is telecom and advance chip/manufacturing. Those industries are already out of china. Also lets not forget Xi is under pressure from members inside his own party to change course. You see this with their anti-corruption campaign aimed at consolidating power for Xi against rivals who advocate for reform. Most of whom fled to Hong Kong and you guessed it, Canada. But that's the thing, those internal faction need the tariff to pressure Xi. 

Edited by paxamericana
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, eyeball said:

You're free to edit the article that quote was taken from.  Be prepared for people who will ask you to explain what you mean by a huge joke and provide evidence and sources of information to buttress your explanation.

The evidence was right below. You pasted it into your reply.

I don't need "evidence" to prove that their post was just based on speculation of what people who don't like "globalism" are upset about. I could say that "Liberals are upset that they can't kill babies 1 minute before the due date" and write about that. The article would be garbage. Not all Libs are that extreme.

Did you mean to post this in another thread about something completely unrelated to this by chance? 

Are you unable to connect the dots, like at all?

I think he's just plain stupid and his supporters are forced to tie themselves into knots trying to justify their support. 

This thread is about toadies who repeat obvious lies that they hear on the news. Not about your opinion of Trump, or hard hard you think it is for people to justify their support of him.

This is off-topic, but the truth is that Trump made a lot of campaign promises and he's either succeeded in implementing them or he's working on them. I'm not sure what other criteria are more important than that, but he's also doing an amazing job on foreign policy and defeating islamic state. Most of the people who don't like him still focus on attacking him over Russian collusion, which has been proven to be unsubstantiated. 

In any case and like conservative politicians in a lot of places these days it's probably not their fault they seem to attract racists and other scumbags to their ranks. It just is what it is.

Off-topic again eyeball, but FYI Liberal politicians attract all the anti-Semites and terrorists/terrorist supporters. So there ya go. Lowlifes get to vote too. Some vote one way, some the other. Liberals are also by far the biggest liars of all. Some of the various topics were mentioned in the OP and others have been discussed elsewhere on this forum. If you have some credible accusations of conservative followers telling actual lies then that's what you need to being to this debate eyeball. You're down by a whole lot to zeeeeeroooooo. 

Edited by WestCanMan

On 5/21/2019 at 9:07 PM, eyeball said:

Okay if you say so.

wea·sel
/ˈwēzəl/
verb
gerund or present participle: weaseling
  1. achieve something by use of cunning or deceit.
    "she suspects me of trying to weasel my way into his affections"
    • NORTH AMERICAN
      behave or talk evasively.

Your whole post is 50% insult and 50% speculation with zero substance eyeball. Is that why you posted the definition of weasel into it? 

24 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Your whole post is 50% insult and 50% speculation with zero substance eyeball. Is that why you posted the definition of weasel into it? 

Actually its 100% substance and insult.

You want to take a stab at why globalization was called globalization and not Chinaization?

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Yes you do. Their evidence is in the footnotes to the article.

Speculation is still speculation eyeball. And globalization, as far as Canadians are concerned, just refers to Trudeau and his antics, plus the global immigration pact that Trudeau signed. Which is exactly what I said it was. 

6 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Actually its 100% substance and insult.

You want to take a stab at why globalization was called globalization and not Chinaization?

There was no substance at all to your post eyeball. Just insults. 

If I say that all Liberals are idiots does that qualify as a substantiated claim just because...?

I don't say such things without proof because I'm not a Lib.

16 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

globalization, as far as Canadians are concerned, just refers to Trudeau and his antics, plus the global immigration pact that Trudeau signed. Which is exactly what I said it was. 

Trudeau was a child when the term globalization was coined and when it was well understood what the term referred to.

Apparently you and Oftenwrong were children too and are catching up. Either that or you're just mealy-eared/mouthed weasels who hate the truth.

20 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

If I say that all Liberals are idiots does that qualify as a substantiated claim just because...?

I don't say such things without proof because I'm not a Lib.

You just said globalization now means something completely new and different without a lick of proof or corroborating opinions or evidence to buttress your definition.

You did this because you're a weasel.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Trudeau was a child when the term globalization was coined and when it was well understood what the term referred to.

Apparently you and Oftenwrong were children too and are catching up. Either that or you're just mealy-eared/mouthed weasels who hate the truth.

Grow up.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

You just said globalization now means something completely new and different without a lick of proof or corroborating opinions or evidence to buttress your definition.

You did this because you're a weasel.

Again, grow up.

I pointed out how idiotic it was for wiki to reference "the Trump administartion's anti-Semitic dog-whistling" as if that's a thing. I also pointed out the fact that your posts are full of unsubstantiated insults and you can't get out of that no matter how many more baseless insults you put out there. 

Just now, WestCanMan said:

I pointed out how idiotic it was for wiki to reference "the Trump administartion's anti-Semitic dog-whistling" as if that's a thing. I also pointed out the fact that your posts are full of unsubstantiated insults and you can't get out of that no matter how many more baseless insults you put out there. 

You also pointed out that globalization means something different and new.  Its the most ridiculous assertion in MLW history. All to avoid...what exactly?

That makes two and perhaps three dingbats on side with this now, any others out there?

9 minutes ago, eyeball said:

You also pointed out that globalization means something different and new.  Its the most ridiculous assertion in MLW history. All to avoid...what exactly?

That makes two and perhaps three dingbats on side with this now, any others out there?

Grow up.

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Compared to who or what?

Compared to the minimum standard for communicating with other people as an adult.

That means don't be disingenuous, or baseless accusations, don't tell any lies or misleading half-truths, try to own up to accurate criticism, acknowledge when other people make an appropriate counter-point, etc.

When you can do that you'll find that you have literally nothing in common with people who watch CNN or CTV.

Your skin should crawl when someone on CNN says that Dr Ford's allegations were "credible", or when you hear CTV say that our Lib gov't needs to regulate social media because, among other things, " there's too much misinformation about SNC Lavalin".

Just now, WestCanMan said:

Compared to the minimum standard for communicating with other people as an adult.

Yes, well that would include not changing very very widely accepted definitions of terms and words like globalization.

That means don't be disingenuous, or baseless accusations, don't tell any lies or misleading half-truths, try to own up to accurate criticism, acknowledge when other people make an appropriate counter-point, etc.

This coming from the fellow who's uttering unsubstantiated disingenuous absurdities about globalization. What's insulting is your expectation that these absurdities should be taken as serious appropriate counter-points, especially in a thread that's inquiring into Trump's ignorance.

It's not my fault you morons painted yourself into this stupid corner.