Why Canada is Great

17 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Would you not agree that most immigrants tend to move to these big city centers, where most have large concentrations of their own culture that they know and are familiar with....

Yes, which is fine, but if you seek out your own kind, culture, language and values and are white, well, that's racist, you know.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Sure

2. Sure

3. Cling ?  I'm sure that Canadian practices, whatever you mean by that, are the dominant culture in their domains and most.

4. Cultural practices change and are very different today from 1867.

5. So, let's recap: they live in a place where there are few immigrants and their way of life hasn't changed.  They have expressed concern about their traditions that are changing... but they actually aren't changing where they live.

6. ...turn what around ?  Make people live in ways they agree with ?  

7. Ok, let's forget about whether it's racist or not.  Why is it their business to tell people what music to like, what foods to eat, how to live their lives ?

8. I guess you know so much that you can tell people who live in the cities how to live their lives.  If it's not racism, then ok.  But it amounts to saying "I don't want the fabric of Canada to change even though my area itself isn't changing".  Some of them evoke their grandparents having fought in wars as though that has something to do with it.  Others decry globalization and just want things to be the way they were decades ago.  Well, voting out Trudeau won't make that happen.  Scheer might promise to do things drastically differently but he won't be doing that.

3. Cling, hold on to, I think you get what I mean....Your Canadian Michael, Canadian practices, Canadian morals and values, and cultural traits.

4. Yes they are changing everyday, faster in the city centers than in the rural areas, cities centers have much more exposure and have already dealt with unique problems that come up.  then liberals suddenly dump hundreds of refugees into rural areas,  it is a shock, to everyone living there, people and government that live in city centers just saying deal with it Nancy....but now they do not like the way we are dealing with it, as they have come up with their own solutions, and of course city people and government don't like them, call them racists etc etc .....

5. like we already discussed they are changing, and most do not deal with change that well , hence why they live in rural Canada.

7. You tell me, the city centers have always controlled the rest of Canada, they set the tones for fashion, cultural changes, fads, new  laws, etc...very little is changed from the bottom up.

8. I know as much as it takes to form an opinion much like you did with "why is it that those who are so opposed seem to live away from big cities? " Rural Canada does not like change and we adapt at a slower pace...So yes they are saying we don't like all these new changes to our being Canadian culture and now city centers are seeing some kick back...to which they are quick to label racism...voting out Justin is a start, most Canadians believe that to be true, all those wannabes liberals are jumping ship, good hair and nice smile is not enough today, along with a dozens of umhs ahhs. And I agree with you that Scheer is not going to be all that and piece of bread, and you'll continue to see more left and right wing parties grow or start up...

Canadians are tired of the same old shit only in a different wrapper....and they want change, it won't be like a trump change, but they want a change none the less.

3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

1.  liberals suddenly dump hundreds of refugees into rural areas,   

2. like we already discussed they are changing, and most do not deal with change that well , hence why they live in rural Canada.

3. You tell me, the city centers have always controlled the rest of Canada, they set the tones for fashion, cultural changes, fads, new  laws, etc...very little is changed from the bottom up.

4. I know as much as it takes to form an opinion much like you did with "why is it that those who are so opposed seem to live away from big cities? " Rural Canada does not like change and we adapt at a slower pace...So yes they are saying we don't like all these new changes to our being Canadian culture and now city centers are seeing some kick back...to which they are quick to label racism...voting out Justin is a start, most Canadians believe that to be true, all those wannabes liberals are jumping ship, good hair and nice smile is not enough today, along with a dozens of umhs ahhs. And I agree with you that Scheer is not going to be all that and piece of bread, and you'll continue to see more left and right wing parties grow or start up...

5. Canadians are tired of the same old shit only in a different wrapper....and they want change, it won't be like a trump change, but they want a change none the less.

1. That happens ?
2. Changing how ?
3. Hmmm.  I don't see how that's the same thing as wanting to impose values on the city.  It's true that trends and so on come from cities, but not even Toronto as much as New York, London, Los Angeles etc.

4. Justin's relative unpopularity still puts him in a close race with Scheer.  And the influence of cities isn't going to change.  I doubt immigration will change much also.  And the people who voted in Scheer will look at the situation, which is largely the same as before, and declare Scheer a success.  Nothing will change.

5. Tired of what ?  The more I hear populism the more it sounds like the old hard-left politics of the 1970s.

Why Canada is great?

We can leave downtown Vancouver on transit to the northshore mountains and in a four hour hike be in the wilderness away from people. 

We have the best ski hills in the world.

We have a stable democratic government.

We have a stable economy.

We have a pretty good healthcare system.

We have incredible wealth distributed among the population.

We have a surplus of food.

We have low carbon energy reserves to last for millenia.

21 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. That happens ?
2. Changing how ?
3. Hmmm.  I don't see how that's the same thing as wanting to impose values on the city.  It's true that trends and so on come from cities, but not even Toronto as much as New York, London, Los Angeles etc.

4. Justin's relative unpopularity still puts him in a close race with Scheer.  And the influence of cities isn't going to change.  I doubt immigration will change much also.  And the people who voted in Scheer will look at the situation, which is largely the same as before, and declare Scheer a success.  Nothing will change.

5. Tired of what ?  The more I hear populism the more it sounds like the old hard-left politics of the 1970s.

1. Sure it does once every decade or twenty years, and those that coped with it , and over came all the issues that come with dumping immigrants are long gone...

2. Well lets take a look at religion for one, Quebec's banning of showing of religious articles , we have never had a problem with any religious articles until we started receiving a large influx of Muslim refugees. it all stems with face covering and burkas...Canadians are not comfortable with them, nor have we figured out how to comprise, some see them as reverting women's rights , some see them as oppression, etc etc...Lets take a look at some Muslim groups are now pooling their resources and purchasing large sub divisions in Ontario, that are only for sale to Muslims clients.  No other group can do that with out being charged with discrimination...or racism, I'm sure everyone can come up with ways on how things are changing not all of them are good..

There are plenty of stupid ones as well, like within the federal government we no longer call the Christmas holiday period Christmas, as it denotes Christian practices, it has been changed to just the holiday period....DND used to have the Men's Christmas dinner, which traditional was the day the upper chain of command would have one day dedicated to the lower rank troops. it was changed a couple of times once because calling it Mens , which was sexists, then Christmas dinner was changed to holiday function...like I said stupid, but they do all add up. Almost every holiday has been changed including valentines day, which left everyone guessing why....

3. where ever they start be it new York, Paris where ever, once they hit our shores where do they first get seen, our large city centers.......lets also look at some of Canada's big changes like the shootings in Toronto this year , which has turned the page on the nations gun laws....Now the liberals are looking at some major changes...Can you think of anything that might have been driven from our Rural areas, that has effected the rest of the country....In Rural Canada come hunting season everyone has a gun, and we still don't have the issues that the big cities have with murder of gun violence….yes we do have the odd , but not worthy of any national changes. 

4. last poll he was 10 points down and falling, but it seems everything Justins touches he screws up, and now he has this big charge to change as much as he can before his final fall...and a lot of it is stupid stuff, like changing the gun laws without debate, how many votes is he going to get with that ? and while you think nothing is going to change , I see it differently I see 4 years of conservative rule, and them trying to unscrew the budget which means the rest of us are going to have to tighten the old belt....I also see DND taking a major hit....and this is just my opinion , I don't see Scheer in power for more than 4 years, then I think we will see one of those fringe parties take over....

5. the same old stuff every year we get promised the moon and end up with barely nothing except "them" liberals or conservatives" lining their pockets, then their friends, and so on, what we do get is really chicken shit stuff, like the immigration pact, what is that going to do for Canada really, that we don't already do, it seems everything Justin touched was almost useless to our country as a whole, lets not get started on climate change another liberal screw up. I guess to sum up we are tired of Talk....with no action...we are tired of the same old players, with the same old ideas....Change is coming it is happening across the globe...on both sides liberal and conservative sides....and Canada will have it's own version, except more polite, and civil less the Trump drama...

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

1. Sure it does once every decade or twenty years, and those that coped with it , and over came all the issues that come with dumping immigrants are long gone...

2. Well lets take a look at religion for one, Quebec's banning of showing of religious articles , we have never had a problem with any religious articles until we started receiving a large influx of Muslim refugees. it all stems with face covering and burkas...Canadians are not comfortable with them, nor have we figured out how to comprise, some see them as reverting women's rights , some see them as oppression, etc etc...Lets take a look at some Muslim groups are now pooling their resources and purchasing large sub divisions in Ontario, that are only for sale to Muslims clients.  No other group can do that with out being charged with discrimination...or racism, I'm sure everyone can come up with ways on how things are changing not all of them are good..

3. There are plenty of stupid ones as well, like within the federal government we no longer call the Christmas holiday period Christmas, as it denotes Christian practices, it has been changed to just the holiday period....DND used to have the Men's Christmas dinner, which traditional was the day the upper chain of command would have one day dedicated to the lower rank troops. it was changed a couple of times once because calling it Mens , which was sexists, then Christmas dinner was changed to holiday function...like I said stupid, but they do all add up. Almost every holiday has been changed including valentines day, which left everyone guessing why....

4. where ever they start be it new York, Paris where ever, once they hit our shores where do they first get seen, our large city centers.......lets also look at some of Canada's big changes like the shootings in Toronto this year , which has turned the page on the nations gun laws....Now the liberals are looking at some major changes...Can you think of anything that might have been driven from our Rural areas, that has effected the rest of the country....In Rural Canada come hunting season everyone has a gun, and we still don't have the issues that the big cities have with murder of gun violence….yes we do have the odd , but not worthy of any national changes. 

5. the same old stuff every year we get promised the moon and end up with barely nothing except "them" liberals or conservatives" lining their pockets, then their friends, and so on, what we do get is really chicken shit stuff, like the immigration pact, what is that going to do for Canada really, that we don't already do, it seems everything Justin touched was almost useless to our country as a whole, lets not get started on climate change another liberal screw up. I guess to sum up we are tired of Talk....with no action...we are tired of the same old players, with the same old ideas....Change is coming it is happening across the globe...on both sides liberal and conservative sides....and Canada will have it's own version, except more polite, and civil less the Trump drama...

1. Forgive me but it sounds like you're just making an assumption here.  Do you have a hard example of this happening ?  Recently ?  In the past ?

2. Let's rewind a bit.  I think I was asking how things are changing in rural Canada.  A law passed to appease those same people who are afraid of changes isn't an example.  I would say instead that they're passing these laws because they are supported in rural areas, not that there are any actual changes to lifestyle in those areas. The examples you have given have been made before but they're things that people are afraid of not actual changes.  It seems like the answer is just that people don't want Muslims here.  Your assertion that large numbers of Muslims are coming strikes me as an exaggeration also.

3. This is more horseshit.  Muslims at work wish me Merry Christmas every year.  

4. Crime in Toronto... except the crime rate is much higher in cities like Regina where there are fewer Muslims.

5. This part irks me.  Both the Conservatives AND the Liberals are among the best governments in the world when it comes to balancing the services we get, and the taxes we pay.  I don't see what you're expecting.  Do you think the government is going to do something to make everyone rich ?  The middle class is holding its own and people still complain.  What action exactly ?  

You strike me as another one of those people who just gets happy when their guy wins the election.  How much has really changed in Canada economically in the last 20 to 30 years ?  The biggest change was Mulroney AND Chretien with NAFTA.  

Anyway, you're free to complain but it sounds like exactly what I said: people from rural areas with vague fears that "things are changing" and demanding laws on head coverings and so on.  My advice is - respectfully - mind your business and live and let live.  That's what conservatism has historically been about.  Lately it's getting very Liberal on the right... people telling others what they can or can't wear and trying to legislate their religion.

My two cents, you're welcome to yours.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

My advice is - respectfully - mind your business and live and let live.  That's what conservatism has historically been about.  Lately it's getting very Liberal on the right... people telling others what they can or can't wear and trying to legislate their religion.

Conservatism has historically been about conserving. About responsible government. About not waiting until things have already gone into the crapper, but instead to take action before that happens.

18 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Why Canada is great?

We can leave downtown Vancouver on transit to the northshore mountains and in a four hour hike be in the wilderness away from people. 

Aside the mountains,, water, snow, wilderness, ski hills, (Norway has all those - and dark winters too) - why has Canada remained civilized with several million immigrants arriving every decade or so while Norway remains basically, uh, Norway.

1900 Norway 2.2 million Canada 5.3 million

2000 Norway 4.5 million Canada 30 million

======

In the world context, we may be small but we Canadians have created a civilised society for tens of millions of people. 

Edited by August1991
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, August1991 said:

Aside the mountains,, water, snow, wilderness, ski hills, (Norway has all those - and dark winters too) - why has Canada remained civilized with several million immigrants arriving every decade or so while Norway remains basically, uh, Norway.

A tightly controlled media which only broadcasts and prints soothing stories about how wonderful and inclusive and diverse we are and how much immigrants and refugees love us and this country and are desperately needed because of fictitious worker shortages, or fictitious economic gains, or fictitious help with an aging population? Unanimity among politicians of all parties to say the same soothing things and ignore the wishes of the people? A political system which makes it almost impossible for new parties to take hold?

Edited by Argus

On 5/27/2019 at 6:59 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Why Canada is great?

We can leave downtown Vancouver on transit to the north shore mountains and in a four hour hike be in the wilderness away from people. 

We have low carbon energy reserves to last for millennia.

We have reasonably priced gasoline/fuel.

We are loved by the 'rest of Canada' except Toronto (Toronto doesn't like anything, including itself.)

Canada could be really great with a change of Federal Government in October . . .

On 5/18/2019 at 6:38 AM, jacee said:

Because Nazis and white supremacists are racists.

And communist party's were and still are involved in murdering their own innocent citizen's. Better to have a political party that is called a racist party rather than have and allow a communist party that you/we all should know by now has been involved in the deaths of hundreds of millions of innocent victims being murdered by communists. Anyone supporting a communist party supports murder and should be disgusted with themselves. My opinion. Live with it. :D

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 6:49 PM, cougar said:

" You can do all of those things in most other countries including Russia, Pakistan, India, the list goes on.....how does that make it more Canadian "

Yes, and by the way, if I ever wanted to live among predominantly East Indian population I would have immigrated to Bombay.  If I wanted to be crowded by Chinese, I could have gone to Shanghai.   I never wanted to visit those places, but now every now and then, while in Canada, I feel like I am being unwillingly immersed in those cultures.  But no, you can say nothing, because one will be called a racist, biased, narrow minded, prejudiced, unfriendly and all the typical more common classifications that come to mind.

Mind you in past wars between countries they were able to tell without any problem who was who, just by their appearance and the language they spoke.     In our case, it will be totally impossible to tell who the commander of our division is fighting for. So lets hope we all live in peace forever.

Let them call you a racist. That word is only thrown around at someone to try and stop anyone from questioning and challenging our present day scandalous immigration and multicultural policy that will destroy this once great nation if allowed to continue on. Trudeau and his Somali immigration minister are both working hard to try and flood Canada with as many third world immigrants as they can to try and destroy our western decent and moral values and ways of life in Canada. Chinese and East Indians can now live in Canada like they did in their old countries that they came from here in Canada with the host Canadian people helping and funding their culture. I would never go to visit Bombay or Beijing. There is no need too. They are here now. Host western Canadians are being unwillingly immersed and being forced into living with too many cultures that have nothing to do with our own western values and customs and culture here in Canada. There is no more pro western immigration being promoted into Canada anymore. Just of the third world kind only. Bloody sad indeed. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

4. 1. Forgive me but it sounds like you're just making an assumption here.  Do you have a hard example of this happening ?  Recently ?  In the past ?

2. Let's rewind a bit.  I think I was asking how things are changing in rural Canada.  A law passed to appease those same people who are afraid of changes isn't an example.  I would say instead that they're passing these laws because they are supported in rural areas, not that there are any actual changes to lifestyle in those areas. The examples you have given have been made before but they're things that people are afraid of not actual changes.  It seems like the answer is just that people don't want Muslims here.  Your assertion that large numbers of Muslims are coming strikes me as an exaggeration also.

3. This is more horseshit.  Muslims at work wish me Merry Christmas every year.  

4. Crime in Toronto... except the crime rate is much higher in cities like Regina where there are fewer Muslims.

5. This part irks me.  Both the Conservatives AND the Liberals are among the best governments in the world when it comes to balancing the services we get, and the taxes we pay.  I don't see what you're expecting.  Do you think the government is going to do something to make everyone rich ?  The middle class is holding its own and people still complain.  What action exactly ?  

You strike me as another one of those people who just gets happy when their guy wins the election.

How much has really changed in Canada economically in the last 20 to 30 years ?  The biggest change was Mulroney AND Chretien with NAFTA.  

Anyway, you're free to complain but it sounds like exactly what I said: people from rural areas with vague fears that "things are changing" and demanding laws on head coverings and so on.  My advice is - respectfully - mind your business and live and let live.  That's what conservatism has historically been about.  Lately it's getting very Liberal on the right... people telling others what they can or can't wear and trying to legislate their religion.

My two cents, you're welcome to yours.

1. No assumptions, remember the boat people, this was the last time Rural new Brunswick received a large number of refugees/ immigrants. along sides Syrian refugees this year and last...and well 500 or more would not be large numbers in Toronto in Fredericton NB there are huge numbers....and all those that dealt with huge numbers are not in power any more, and for some reason the play book  is missing...Mistakes we made on both sides, but things did not play our so well, or as well as everyone thought they would and when citizens complained they were labeled racists....Mind your own business, and let things take a natural course, we have all tried that, and this is where we are now...things have already been splashed all over the media, then silenced...nothing to see here...https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/record-number-of-refugees-admitted-to-canada-in-2016-highest-since-1980-1.3382444, or it plays out for a few days then buried...things like teachers getting assaulted, etc etc..things have quieted down lately, but their is still some tension.. 

2. It is Michael you just don't want to see it...this is not a few people in rural Canada this is a whole province of Quebec. Both in rural and urban centers....that has got to speak volumes...not to mention the majority of Canadians don't want higher immigration numbers but lower also speaks to change...

3. Do you work in a federal dept or building, where things have been sanitized, to make everyone comfortable, no more X-mas decorations, all the names of federal holiday events have been changed, there are thousands of examples of Canadians making changes to Canadian culture to be more welcoming, not everyone wants these changes or is ready for them. 

4. Sure there has, but let me ask you this Michael, Winnipeg , Regina has had a very high crime rate for a long time, HAS any PM come out a massive new GUN plan ? And for the most part this has nothing to do with Muslims, but ethnic gangs in Toronto , thats where this pistol ban has originated, and now Justin wants this ban to include various long arms as well, mush like new Zealand...

5. Your right Michael, what was I thinking to be able to sit down in the comforts of my home and exercise some of my rights given to me by our constitution.. This so called best government in the world as you say, have promised by oath to serve this nation to the best of their abilities....not for what is best for their parties but serve this Nation, ....Basically the same oath I agreed to up hold, with payment of my life if required....It seems our nations soldiers are held to a much higher standard...when it comes to behavior, not breaking the law, or abiding by it, or policies set out in our constitution and within government... What do I expect, well I did not expect half the shit the liberals have done this term, passing bills hidden in other pieces of legislation that is clearly being transparent, not to mention some of the scandals, SNC Lavelin, LAVSCAM, lets not forget the firing of the Admiral, the firing of 2 liberal MP's other examples of how government should not be run, and after we swallowed the promise to be transparent, and lets not forget the sunny ways...and the Conservatives, where no different, running up the largest deficit in our nations history, plus lets not forget all their scandals...What do I expect a government that can make decision based on facts and figures, and good research...not what is popular today...doing what is best for the country not their parties, or even getting reelected...What I expect is for our politicians to put in as much effort as the rest of us, not to embarrass our nation in front of the world... You may be happy , but i'm not the only Canadian that feels that way...

You don't know me , I'm the guy that served this country for 34 years  because I believe in this nation and loved serving it , so much so I was willing to give my life for it... I believe it is the best in the world, I have conservative views, but am not tied to any conservative party, I want what is best for our nation...not what is best for a party.... lately we have been lowing the bar for a long time when it comes to leadership in our nation....yesterday we voted for the guy with good hair, and good looks....not what was on his resume...I mean a snow board instructor, and drama teacher...where impressive credentials , "for the local high school"..... what is sad is a lot of Canadians voted just to get rid of harper, and Justin was riding his fathers coat tails.....and was popular, not because he was the best person for the job...That does not make the best government in the world by a long shot...and while you are happy , i'm not I want a government that works for the people not party, I want one that can make tough decisions and explain them to us laymen so that they make sense, I want a high form of leadership....whats funney is we demand all these things in the business world....but for running our country any hack can do it....I want to trust the government, i'm sick of all the lies and back stabbing, headline grabbing that goes on today...We are Canada's greatest resource, and we are being lead by the next best thing to the pills berry dough boy....

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Army Guy said:

1. No assumptions, remember the boat people, this was the last time Rural new Brunswick received a large number of refugees/ immigrants. along sides Syrian refugees this year and last...and well 500 or more would not be large numbers in Toronto in Fredericton NB there are huge numbers....and all those that dealt with huge numbers are not in power any more, and for some reason the play book  is missing...

2. .https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/record-number-of-refugees-admitted-to-canada-in-2016-highest-since-1980-1.3382444, or it plays out for a few days then buried...things like teachers getting assaulted, etc etc..things have quieted down lately, but their is still some tension.. 

3. It is Michael you just don't want to see it...this is not a few people in rural Canada this is a whole province of Quebec. Both in rural and urban centers....that has got to speak volumes...not to mention the majority of Canadians don't want higher immigration numbers but lower also speaks to change...

4. Do you work in a federal dept or building, where things have been sanitized, to make everyone comfortable, no more X-mas decorations, all the names of federal holiday events have been changed, there are thousands of examples of Canadians making changes to Canadian culture to be more welcoming, not everyone wants these changes or is ready for them. 

5. Sure there has, but let me ask you this Michael, Winnipeg , Regina has had a very high crime rate for a long time, HAS any PM come out a massive new GUN plan ? And for the most part this has nothing to do with Muslims, but ethnic gangs in Toronto , thats where this pistol ban has originated, and now Justin wants this ban to include various long arms as well, mush like new Zealand...

1. Dumping 500 refugees in a small town is insanity, in absence of large teams to help them.  I'm still wondering about this example - and I'm starting to believe you since you are getting specific with numberes etc.

2. Yes there was a spike but the hysteria does not match the impacts and there is also some idea that refugees and immigration are the same issue - since the problems described seem to be the same.

3. You're doing a bit of a dance here AG.   I asked about how rural people are impacted, and now we're talking about laws passed AGAINST Muslims to placate rural people.  Not the same thing at all.  Canadians don't want "change"... ok but what is the change ?  You yourself haven't come up with an snwer.  It seems to mean "I don't want Indian people around" and such.

4. Ok, well admittedly I don't.  I'm not surprised that government has changed its ways so I retract my 'horseshit' comment... BUT there are Women in the forces.  Jews too.  Not having a civil servant say 'merry christmas' to you is a minor change compared to not being allowed to wear a crucifix or a nun's habit I would say.

5. Yes, the long gun registry.

The government stuff deserves its own thread.  I hear you on immigration but I will say it again: most of it is smoke and not much of substance to complain about.  Yes, they took the Lord's Prayer out of schools and good for them for doing it.  Some of this is just... change. 

Ok, next topic.

10 hours ago, Army Guy said:

your right Michael, what was I thinking to be able to sit down in the comforts of my home and exercise some of my rights given to me by our constitution.. This so called best government in the world as you say, have promised by oath to serve this nation to the best of their abilities....not for what is best for their parties but serve this Nation, ....Basically the same oath I agreed to up hold, with payment of my life if required....It seems our nations soldiers are held to a much higher standard...when it comes to behavior, not breaking the law, or abiding by it, or policies set out in our constitution and within government... What do I expect, well I did not expect half the shit the liberals have done this term, passing bills hidden in other pieces of legislation that is clearly being transparent, not to mention some of the scandals, SNC Lavelin, LAVSCAM, lets not forget the firing of the Admiral, the firing of 2 liberal MP's other examples of how government should not be run, and after we swallowed the promise to be transparent, and lets not forget the sunny ways...and the Conservatives, where no different, running up the largest deficit in our nations history, plus lets not forget all their scandals...What do I expect a government that can make decision based on facts and figures, and good research...not what is popular today...doing what is best for the country not their parties, or even getting reelected...What I expect is for our politicians to put in as much effort as the rest of us, not to embarrass our nation in front of the world... You may be happy , but i'm not the only Canadian that feels that way...

You don't know me , I'm the guy that served this country for 34 years  because I believe in this nation and loved serving it , so much so I was willing to give my life for it... I believe it is the best in the world, I have conservative views, but am not tied to any conservative party, I want what is best for our nation...not what is best for a party.... lately we have been lowing the bar for a long time when it comes to leadership in our nation....yesterday we voted for the guy with good hair, and good looks....not what was on his resume...I mean a snow board instructor, and drama teacher...where impressive credentials , "for the local high school"..... what is sad is a lot of Canadians voted just to get rid of harper, and Justin was riding his fathers coat tails.....and was popular, not because he was the best person for the job...That does not make the best government in the world by a long shot...and while you are happy , i'm not I want a government that works for the people not party, I want one that can make tough decisions and explain them to us laymen so that they make sense, I want a high form of leadership....whats funney is we demand all these things in the business world....but for running our country any hack can do it....I want to trust the government, i'm sick of all the lies and back stabbing, headline grabbing that goes on today...We are Canada's greatest resource, and we are being lead by the next best thing to the pills berry dough boy....

Again you are complaining, which as you say is your right.  But if you want people to care you have to provide something more.  I'm open to hearing it and am putting good time into reading this.

1. "It seems our nations soldiers are held to a much higher standard" How so ?  The PMs best friend had to step down for putting pressure on a minister.  That seems like a high standard was applied to him.  Give me an example.

2. The scandals are there.. but like the Duffy scandal... not a lot.  The sponsorship scandal was probably the worst one of the last 30 years and that says something.  To my mind, soldiers have been involved in worse scandals than that.

3. You can expect a government to make decisions on facts, but politics is about people.  Note that I don't tell you that vague 'fears' about immigration are not valid... but they aren't supported by numbers.  You also have 'facts' like Climate Change being denied by conservative politicians everywhere.  That's just politics, my friend.

4. I don't know how you can tell how much 'effort' they put in.  They probably work more hours than you or I... at least the ones at the top.

5. No, I am not happy but it's because I can see a vision for improving things that no politician has the brains to articulate or execute.  It's got nothing to do with cutting immigration 20% or putting in a carbon tax.

6. I also have conservative views.. I will not tie myself to any party and anybody who tries to label me doesn't know me.  I can point to well-known conservatives who share my views and liberals too.

7. We voted for the guy with 'good hair' but also he had a different message and you missed that.  I don't think he has a lot of substance, and yes image had a lot to do with it but again - that's politics.  If you think Scheer's credentials are more impressive than Trudeau's you haven't been paying attention.  At least Trudeau worked for awhile before getting into politics...

8. The thing I agree with you on the most is 'explaining to the layman'  That is the vision I am talking about - communication and engagement with the people has sadly lagged and there's no reason for it. 

23 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

We have reasonably priced gasoline/fuel.

We are loved by the 'rest of Canada' except Toronto (Toronto doesn't like anything, including itself.)

These last two points are not mine. 

The despair voiced on this thread appears to be related to politics. It ignores the fact that politics is a sport. It is meant to be fun. Don't take it too seriously. No matter what lable the governing party wears, their policies are dictated by a very narrow range of options.

As for immigration, you ain't seen nothing yet. In the future, hundreds of millions of people are going to flooding into Canada from South America, Central America and the southern United States. There is no way we can stop them. Then we will live the experience of the First Nations when a horde of immigrants poured in from Europe; immigrants who refused to assimilate, dressed in strange costumes, and brought a foreign religion that they forced on us. Karma is a harsh mother.

So, relax, count your blessings. Only 197 days until the next ski season.

Edited by Queenmandy85

On 5/28/2019 at 12:03 PM, Argus said:

A tightly controlled media which only broadcasts and prints soothing stories about how wonderful and inclusive and diverse we are and how much immigrants and refugees love us and this country and are desperately needed because of fictitious worker shortages, or fictitious economic gains, or fictitious help with an aging population? Unanimity among politicians of all parties to say the same soothing things and ignore the wishes of the people? A political system which makes it almost impossible for new parties to take hold?

Argus,

Some 100 years ago, Norway had about 2 million people. Canada about the same.

Nowadays, Norway has about 5 million people. Canada has about 35 million people.

Yet we Canadians have two languages, and we're still part of a federal system.

====

Which "system" is sustainable? 

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

1. Some 100 years ago, Norway had about 2 million people. Canada about the same.  Nowadays, Norway has about 5 million people. Canada has about 35 million people. Yet we Canadians have two languages, and we're still part of a federal system.

====

2. Which "system" is sustainable? 

1. This is the growth model.  We only have to master collaboration with the people in service design and we will be unstoppable.

2. Duh.  However some want a system where you give 'equal time' to bizarre racists and fringe dwellers with the following of 5% of the brain dead.  That's not 'diversity' that coddling morons.  The Yellow Vest losers feel they are entitled to wealth because of their heritage but that's not a meritocracy and it will bring us down.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, August1991 said:

Argus,

Some 100 years ago, Norway had about 2 million people. Canada about the same.

Nowadays, Norway has about 5 million people. Canada has about 35 million people.

Yet we Canadians have two languages, and we're still part of a federal system.

====

Which "system" is sustainable? 

Uh, Norways. They don't have a trillion dollar deficit, have much more responsible government which sets aside oil wealth for future problems, and are one of the world's most content people. By your wierd way of thinking India's is much more sustainable because they have more people and more 'diversity'.

Edited by Argus

6 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. This is the growth model.  We only have to master collaboration with the people in service design and we will be unstoppable.

2. Duh.  However some want a system where you give 'equal time' to bizarre racists and fringe dwellers with the following of 5% of the brain dead.  That's not 'diversity' that coddling morons.  The Yellow Vest losers feel they are entitled to wealth because of their heritage but that's not a meritocracy and it will bring us down.

The fringe:

Two thirds of Canadians unhappy with assimilation rate of immigrants

40% of Canadians unhappy with number of visible minority immigrants coming into Canada

56% of Canadians think Canada is too welcoming to immigrants, 54% want immigration lowered, borders tightened, 48% immigrant are changing canada in ways I don't like.

49% of Canadians say immigration is too high

68% of Canadians want immigrants to assimilate better.

75% of Canadians want a values test for immigrants

Edited by Argus

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2019 at 1:12 PM, Argus said:

Uh, Norways. They don't have a trillion dollar deficit, have much more responsible government which sets aside oil wealth for future problems, and are one of the world's most content people. By your wierd way of thinking India's is much more sustainable because they have more people and more 'diversity'.

Strongly disagree.

1. Define "deficit". Canada - the millions of people living here -  we have created a large sustainable wealth. What real wealth has Norway created that is sustainable?  And in Quebec, what is  sustainable? America?

2. Money terms? English Canada now has a CPPIB. Quebec has a "Catholic" Caisse. Typical Lutherans, Norwegians also believe that they have saved for the future.

3. Yet, how has any person in Canada, Norway, Quebec truly saved  - compared to a mother/father in China/India? 

=====

The Norwegian "Statens pensjonsfond" has about $1 trillion - on paper. This wealth is entirely based on typical Lutheran belief that a paper claim on a real asset is legitimate, and will be honoured.

Edited by August1991

12 hours ago, August1991 said:

Strongly disagree.

1. Define "deficit". Canada - the millions of people living here -  we have created a large sustainable wealth. What real wealth has Norway created that is sustainable?  And in Quebec, what is  sustainable? America?

MONEY. Is that too complicated for you? What exactly have we created in the way of sustainable wealth Norway hasn't? Give examples.

On 5/27/2019 at 6:59 AM, Queenmandy85 said:

Why Canada is great?

How many ski hills does BC have? LOL.