Notre Dame Should Be Torn Down

Robert Greene

It's seems like the reconstruction of Notre Dame has turned into a philanthropic arms race. The building is over 800 years old, and it's served it's time. Why waste millions of dollars to resurrect a dinosaur, when we could build new schools that teach stone masonry?

What is more important, reviving one landmark, or rediscovering our love for traditional architecture? Rather then waste all our resources propping up a crumbling cathedral, why not shift our focus to rediscovering the knowledge and values of ancient craftmanship?

Maybe the building should be torn down. Maybe a bit of sadness could provide motivation to rediscover the knowledge of our ancestors.

Edited by Robert Greene

On 4/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, Robert Greene said:

It's seems like the reconstruction of Notre Dame has turned into a philanthropic arms race. The building is over 800 years old, and it's served it's time. Why waste millions of dollars to resurrect a dinosaur, when we could build new schools that teach stone masonry?

What is more important, reviving one landmark, or rediscovering our love for traditional architecture? Rather then waste all our resources propping up a crumbling cathedral, why not shift our focus to rediscovering the knowledge and values of ancient craftmanship?

Maybe the building should be torn down. Maybe a bit of sadness could provide motivation to rediscover the knowledge of our ancestors.

It’s not an either or.  Did you feel the same about the Sphinx restoration too?

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 8:16 PM, Robert Greene said:

The building is over 800 years old.  teach stone masonry

you list some of the reasons for it to stay - it transcends literature, history, culture, religion, art, identity etc. across culture in multi-national ways

2 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Church" s and golf courses are the biggest waste of  prime real estate

I'd disagree about the churches bit. Golf is up for debate.

When I was a kid, I used to go to St Paul's just to hear the amazing whispers in the dome...it seemed unreal. Although I was well aware of the science...it was frickin' amazing. Worth the visit...deity or not.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

What really gets me is that hundreds of millions, if not billions are given by wealthy people to help rebuild a church but won't help fix other more pressing issues. I bet the homeless and less advantaged would feel slighted by this.

Already a media backlash happening. Apparently, a vast amount of cash has been donated, on the order of $1B.

5 hours ago, GostHacked said:

What really gets me is that hundreds of millions, if not billions are given by wealthy people to help rebuild a church but won't help fix other more pressing issues. I bet the homeless and less advantaged would feel slighted by this.

Billionaires already pay vast fortunes to support the poor. It's called taxation.

17 hours ago, Hal 9000 said:

How so?

Churches pay no tax...A child is more likely to be molested at church than in a transgender-friendly bathroom. Reported child abuse accusations against US protestant churches average 70 per week, though the actual number is likely higher due to under-reporting.  

Anyone who pays attention to the news recognizes that youth pastors are often associated with the sexual abuse of children, and of course there is always the despicable, ongoing, and never-ending sexual abuse of children in the Catholic church.

Christians: *god is good* God: goes on to create a battle royale where less than the top 0,002% kindest people qualify for eternal life while the remaining 99,998% burns in hell for eternity

Religion is evil and we shouldn't give them a free ride for their houses of hate.

As for golf courses I just put that in there so bible thumpers wouldn't think I was solely picking on them.

30 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

Churches pay no tax...A child is more likely to be molested at church than in a transgender-friendly bathroom. Reported child abuse accusations against US protestant churches average 70 per week, though the actual number is likely higher due to under-reporting.  

Anyone who pays attention to the news recognizes that youth pastors are often associated with the sexual abuse of children, and of course there is always the despicable, ongoing, and never-ending sexual abuse of children in the Catholic church.

Christians: *god is good* God: goes on to create a battle royale where less than the top 0,002% kindest people qualify for eternal life while the remaining 99,998% burns in hell for eternity

Religion is evil and we shouldn't give them a free ride for their houses of hate.

As for golf courses I just put that in there so bible thumpers wouldn't think I was solely picking on them.

Yes, it's not actually about real estate, it's just an opportunity to take a shot at Christians.  That's what I thought. 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2019 at 8:16 PM, Robert Greene said:

I tend to agree.

Notre Dame is/was a tourist site. Zillions of people go there, expending CO2, simply to say/record that they were there.

On 4/20/2019 at 2:08 AM, RB said:

you list some of the reasons for it to stay - it transcends literature, history, culture, religion, art, identity etc. across culture in multi-national ways

IMHO, we have lost much more, yet survived.

=====

RB,

Does our civilised world depend on the reconstruction of a Christian building, the Notre-Dame-de-Paris?

If Muslims lost their black block, would their belief in life disappear?

Edited by August1991

4 hours ago, August1991 said:

A building is part of the landscape - says who we are, and anchors France, Paris - similar to flying the flag,  it attracts visitors and has financial impacts (direct and indirect), folks are stressed etc  - the gains to fix the building outweighs an argument to leave a fire burn building - crossing from Windsor into Detroit is scary for the imagination  

2 minutes ago, RB said:

Was America less before 1970 because it did not have the Twin Towers? Was it less before the 1880s when France gave it the Statue of Liberty?

Is a building the definition of a society?

If we lose Leonardo's Last Supper in a fire, do we lose the concept of perspective?  

On 4/20/2019 at 3:24 PM, Argus said:

Billionaires already pay vast fortunes to support the poor. It's called taxation.

More like taxation loopholes.  So a church is more important that people who are suffering? I get the significance of that church, but there seems to be more important things that these rich folks can toss money at if they want to really help people and the communities.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

More like taxation loopholes.  So a church is more important that people who are suffering? I get the significance of that church, but there seems to be more important things that these rich folks can toss money at if they want to really help people and the communities.

Like who? Who should these folks be helping with THEIR money?

So they've had days to investigate the cause of the fire at Notre Dame. Even though there was no workers present at the time, they seem to be going with a worker's lit cigarette being the #1 cause of this blaze. Another theory is that a 'computer glitch' caused a 'short circuit' which then somehow set the scaffolding on fire. Okay...neither are very satisfying.

I seriously doubt they really want to know the cause...

there were many wars before, but the US continue to go to war - maybe many people are employed during wars, a lot of technology also get sold etc.

people become employed with the rebuilding

some folks submitted blueprint for 3D printing as a solution

I don't follow if there is a disdain to "build" operative word