Don't Vote For Bernier

3 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

Like Kenny, Scheer is a religious white racist. Just ask yourself if that is who you want as Prime Minister? Scheer would be a poor man's Trump. He is a US-style Republican with all the warts and pus that represents. Trudeau is a feckless weenie to be sure. But better a mindless dilettante that a racist, religious bigot.  

There is nothing remotely similar between Scheer's party and the US Republicans. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either completely ignorant about them or is likely not sane.

And keep on using the term 'racist' to describe Scheer and Kenny. It's people like you who will reduce the term to something like 'poo head'. And given it's just about the only weapon you and your ilk have it should pretty much do away with you.

2 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

That is exactly what you'll get with a Scheer government. If you don't realize Scheer's base is composed mostly of white racists, you haven't been paying attention. Kenny and Scheer share the same ideological pew and Kenny is well known to be a supporter of white racists and due to his ridiculous religious beliefs, hates the LGetc community and has said so publicly. This is exactly what you will get with a Scheer government. 

You have nothing to back any of this drool up but your demented imagination.

Edited by Argus

2 hours ago, Realitycheck said:

Not by themselves no. But there are enough other people either fed up with Trudeau, the Greens and the NDamnableP 

You mean fed up with people like you?

2 minutes ago, Argus said:

There is nothing remotely similar between Scheer's party and the US Republicans. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either completely ignorant about them or is likely not sane.

And keep on using the term 'racist' to describe Scheer and Kenny. It's people like you who will reduce the term to something like 'poo head'. And given it's just about the only weapon you and your ilk have it should pretty much do away with you.

Not in your narrow view to be sure. But then you also declared the Soldiers Of odin non-existent so we know what you mind set is.

Just now, Realitycheck said:

Not in your narrow view to be sure. But then you also declared the Soldiers Of odin non-existent so we know what you mind set is.

Uhm, no. I didn't declare them non-existent. Why on earth would I? I simply said there's no evidence they're a white nationalist or white supremacist group.

Because there isn't. I know facts and honesty are foreign concepts to you, but most of us cling to them.

1 hour ago, Argus said:

Half your oil comes from Alberta. It flows through pipelines and into your refineries, and you don't have a single, tiny squeak of protest - as long as it benefits you. But the thought of Alberta sending more than you need, so that it can reach New Brunswick and THEIR refineries, suddenly makes you all indignant and sanctimonious about dirty oil!

Well guess what? You have no right to object. It's not a provincial responsibility. The only reason anyone pays any attention to your hypocritical protests is that we have a spineless federal leader at the moment. A strong federal leader would ram the pipeline through both BC and Quebec. That's what a nation does. It does what's best for the nation, no matter what the whiny little locals have to say.

You want all the benefits of being Canadians and none of the responsibilities. It don't work that way.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-alberta-is-mad-and-people-who-care-about-how-canada-is-supposed-to/

I thought we are in a democracy here. We do not want this pipeline to pass through our countryside and cities. 

Keep your oil. I would rather bike to work, and have my electricity porduced through renewable hydro, than polute our environment with your oil. Here, I said it.. 

33 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

It's too simple, I can't answer the question. But at the risk of being crude, 

It is right sometimes, wrong at others

Exactly what makes behaving to a high moral standard wrong? When is it right to behave wrong? There must be a line somewhere.

Bear in mind I'm taking about virtue generally. It seems it's increasingly wrong to be virtuous as we move forward into the future. Maybe that's just me.

Edited by eyeball

41 minutes ago, Olijam said:

I thought we are in a democracy here. We do not want this pipeline to pass through our countryside and cities. 

Tough. People don't want freeways near them either. They don't want garbage dumps. They don't want ports or airports. They don't want industry. They don't want all sorts of things that society can't live without. The government of Quebec forces those things on communities all the time. So do municipalities force things on local neighborhoods for the improvement of the city as a whole. NIMBY is not a way to run a city, a province or a country.

The city decides what's best for the city, even if one neighborhood doesn't like it. The province decides what's best for the province, even if one region or municipality is opposed. Pipelines are in Canada's interests. Including Quebec. They contribute to an economy which pumps shitloads of taxes that pay for health care, education and social welfare, just to name a few.

Keep your oil. I would rather bike to work, and have my electricity porduced through renewable hydro, than polute our environment with your oil. Here, I said it.. 

Oh bullshit. The only people who think they can bike to work live downtown near an office. And btw, what do you think clears the snow off your bike lanes and roads? You think your economy can survive without oil? Guess again. You think your cities can function without cars and trucks and buses, without airports and ports? You think you can have your squeaky clean job without the cement factories and refineries and manufacturing facilities? Nope.  Sorry. I know the jobs of all the people who work in those industries, or who can't bike to work are supremely unimportant to your selfish self, but they matter.

Edited by Argus

12 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Exactly what makes behaving to a high moral standard wrong?

Who''s moral standard? Moral standards vary from society to society. Islamics and some xians see no wrong in treating women like chattels. In New Guinea there is a tribe in which  it is perfectly moral to eat grandad's genitalia after he dies.  

Just now, Realitycheck said:

Which one? Various religious groups have different takes on morality. Racists have a different morality than open-minded folks. Bigots as well. So, perhaps you mean yours?

Which Canada? We you born stupid or did you take a course?

43 minutes ago, Argus said:

Tough. People don't want freeways near them either. They don't want garbage dumps. They don't want ports or airports. They don't want industry. They don't want all sorts of things that society can't live without. The government of Quebec forces those things on communities all the time. So do municipalities force things on local neighborhoods for the improvement of the city as a whole. NIMBY is not a way to run a city, a province or a country.

The city decides what's best for the city, even if one neighborhood doesn't like it. The province decides what's best for the province, even if one region or municipality is opposed. Pipelines are in Canada's interests. Including Quebec. They contribute to an economy which pumps shitloads of taxes that pay for health care, education and social welfare, just to name a few.

Oh bullshit. The only people who think they can bike to work live downtown near an office. And btw, what do you think clears the snow off your bike lanes and roads? You think your economy can survive without oil? Guess again. You think your cities can function without cars and trucks and buses, without airports and ports? You think you can have your squeaky clean job without the cement factories and refineries and manufacturing facilities? Nope.  Sorry. I know the jobs of all the people who work in those industries, or who can't bike to work are supremely unimportant to your selfish self, but they matter.

Argus, I hear you.. We are still reliant on oil, and we will be for some years. However, the idea is to reduce this reliance year after year until we only need renewable energy. Investing billions of dollars for pipeline is not something I want to keep as a legacy to my kids... And yes, the Canadian economy will suffer,  but I do not see any choice. You can deny that the climate change is real like conservatives do, but here in Montreal with the floods that are destroying our houses for the third year in a row, we have taken the decision that is the most ecological. 

Canada is one of the highest poluters in the world, and we are still arguing if we want to have a pipeline or not. I know made my choice. 

Edited by Olijam

10 minutes ago, Olijam said:

Argus, I hear you.. We are still reliant on oil, and we will be for some years. However, the idea is to reduce this reliance year after year until we only need renewable energy. Investing billions of dollars for pipeline is not something I want to keep as a legacy to my kids...

No one is asking you to invest. The private sector will do that in order to profit off the oil, which will indeed be necessary for decades to come. Reducing reliance is fine, but let's not kid ourselves about how quickly that can happen. We need oil for all kinds of things quite aside from power - like plastic for a start, not to mention the asphalt on your bike path and the pollster in your bike pants. Only half of oil goes into gasoline., and world demand is rising, not falling, led by rapid industralization in places like China, India and Brazil.

And yes, the Canadian economy will suffer,  but I do not see any choice. You can deny that the climate change is real like conservatives do, but here in Montreal with the floods that are destroying our houses for the third year in a row, we have taken the decision that is the most ecological. 

Conservatives don't usually deny climate change is real. We instead do a cost benefit analyses of the proposed solution and don't like what we get. The cost is enormous, the benefit insignificant. Canada produces 1.6% of world emissions. Us cutting our emissions by 30%, as is the current goal, is a flea bite. China increased its emissions last year by effectively ALL Canada's emissions. So in a single year they increased their emissions by three times what we hope to reduce ours by over decades. India isn't far behind. The developing world is building hundreds of coal fired power stations.

Weighed against this, anything we do is meaningless.

Canada is one of the highest poluters in the world, and we are still arguing if we want to have a pipeline or not. I know made my choice. 

We are NOT one of the highest polluters except in population terms. That's because we live in a very spread out and fully industrialized country with a very cold temperature. Comparing us on a per capita basis to someplace like Brazil or Taiwan is silly. 

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

Exactly what makes behaving to a high moral standard wrong?

There could be several instances when it is wrong. In the context of this thread, or Canadian political debate: When you are faking it.

Edited by OftenWrong
too many commas