Brexit from the European Union.

taxme

11 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The Queen would not recommend the GG.  That’s the PM’s role.  The Queen signs the appointment.  

So what? It's the Queen's appointment, just because the PM gives his advice and the Queen doesn't reject it most of the time, doesn't mean it isn't the Queen's appointment just because usually likes the decision the Queen makes. She could choose to reject the PM's advice at any time.

1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

So what? It's the Queen's appointment, just because the PM gives his advice and the Queen doesn't reject it most of the time, doesn't mean it isn't the Queen's appointment just because usually likes the decision the Queen makes. She could choose to reject the PM's advice at any time.

It’s never happened in Canada.  

If there is one country for which Brexit could be a disaster it is Ireland. Namely, Britain will always manage, in or out of the EU, but Ireland is totally dependant on Britain and if there is a no deal Brexit it will be a big blow for Ireland. 

14 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Just because the PM advises the Queen, and the Queen usually listens, does not mean that power should be taken away from the Queen to appoint the GG. An election is not proper advise, that's a popularity contest.

Democracy is a popularity contest. Electing the GG would be a good compromise; the diminishing fraction of hardcore monarchists would keep the old framework and the rest of us could vote for a de facto head of state who would have the credibility to say no to the PM when he or she overstepped themselves. 

7 hours ago, -TSS- said:

If there is one country for which Brexit could be a disaster it is Ireland. Namely, Britain will always manage, in or out of the EU, but Ireland is totally dependant on Britain and if there is a no deal Brexit it will be a big blow for Ireland. 

The Republic of Ireland is not totally dependent on any other single country. A no-deal Brexit would be serious for Ireland but so would a return to the old border on the island. Brexiteers just did not think about their land border with the EU before the vote and Boris is still expressing surprise about the complexities involved. 

The stances are clear except for one party; the LibDems want to cancel Brexit altogether, no new referendum. 

The Labour-party wants a new referendum between remain and a shitty deal. The deal is so shitty that even many hard-core Brexiteers would prefer remain. 

The new party, the Farage-party, sorry, I meant the Brexit-party wants a hard Brexit but they call it a clean break Brexit. 

Only the Tories' stance is not clear. They are hopelessly divided between a Brexiteer leader and ardent remoaners. 

On 9/12/2019 at 11:24 AM, Zeitgeist said:

I think Britain will still be in the EU come January as Parliament won't support a no-deal Brexit.  This is starting to look like a neverendum a la Quebec.  Lucky them...

It would appear as though the majority has and always will be ruled over by the minority. Minorities appear to rule the world and the majority have to learn to live with and have to play by their minority rules. No Brexit means democracy is dead in Britain. The majority have spoken, and they want Brexit, but a minority has said nix to that idea and you cannot have your Brexit. The world appears to be becoming more like living in a communist world where minorities get to now rule over the majority. Democracy now barely exists any longer. :(

Edited by taxme

11 hours ago, JamesHackerMP said:

What be the effective consequences of a "hard Brexit"?

Britain will be fu*#ed and I mean it in the most literal term...

Hell we talk about 2016 referendum where people voted Brexit. Democracy in action....A large proportion of these Brexitiers were elderlies who thought voting Brexit will save jobs for their grandchildren. They never envisaged the day they will exit EU without a deal. They would not have expected this predicament. Some of them are no longer alive. The millennials and youth who are now eligible to vote have inherited this mess and have to put up with it.

Let’s hold another referendum now and we will see if that 52% who voted Brexit in 2016 will vote Brexit again.....

Don’t tell that to the ex-pats though. They may still think that Britania rules the ways.....Because those days are truely gone....

Edited by kactus

Do you think some people are turned off by the Byzantine and undemocratic structure of the European Union? It advertises itself as being not an actual government, yet acts like it. An imperial order in bureaucratic dress.

There's no prime minister or cabinet responsible to the European Parliament the way it is in most EU countries. From what I can tell it's hard to tell who's "in charge" at any given moment. In this sense it's not democratically accountable. Whatever exaggerations and oversimplifications there may have been during the runup to the 2016 referendum, or however simplistic the minds of the voters may have been, or who they are, one wonders if those who accuse it of being not democratically accountable don't have a point.

Edited by JamesHackerMP

Remoaners dont really want another referendum. They just want to ignore the first one saying that it was only advisory,  which is true, no denying that.

However, if there was a second referendum and leave won agaiin, perhaps even with a bigger margin, do  you think then the remoaners would accept defeat and give up? In your dreams!

That encapsulates everything in that statement....Only if.... 

Bearing in mind that in first referendum the margin was 52:48 the brexitiers will have one hell of a time to get more votes for a hard Brexit. it is indeed a coolcooland fantasy that some may wish to dream or an utopian idea to toy with. But of course they are entitled to that with their narrow margin...

Bear in mind we are only discussing the beginning of the Brexit process when we talk of the Withdrawal Agreement. The Northern Irish DUP is under considerable pressure from some of its own better informed supporters, particularly farmers and businessmen, to look for a compromise with the RoI over the Backstop. 

The sad thing is the Irish will be worse off if the deal falls thtough. 

it doesn’t surprise me at all that the supreme court has ruled out the prorogation. The signs were there when BoJo suspended the parliament. Thos is the same guy who lied About NHS and keep repeating the lies and deceit. Even worse is his handling of the Brexit that he has made his personal mission instead of thinking about what is best for the country.

Johnson either has very high self-confidence or he knows something we don't as he plays this do or die-game. If Britain is still in the EU on Nov 1st his credibility is zero.

The court's ruling is correct. Totally unthinkable that the PM would have power to stop Parliament from meeting.

Nov1st will be a very restless day in Britain depending on whether Brexit has happened/been delayed/been cancelled. 

4 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Well now, the supreme court has just ruled that BoJo’s prorogation was unlawful:

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2019/sep/24/boris-johnsons-suspension-of-parliament-unlawful-supreme-court-rules-prorogue

I admit it caught me by surprise. I thought me might get away with it. Its an important decision. It will prevent other politicians not just in the UK but in say Canada, Australia, doing it as well if they were tempted.

2 hours ago, kactus said:

The sad thing is the Irish will be worse off if the deal falls thtough. 

it doesn’t surprise me at all that the supreme court has ruled out the prorogation. The signs were there when BoJo suspended the parliament. Thos is the same guy who lied About NHS and keep repeating the lies and deceit. Even worse is his handling of the Brexit that he has made his personal mission instead of thinking about what is best for the country.

Truthfully it caught me by surprise. They could have gone the other way. Don't get me wrong it is important for democracy but I could have seen the courts refusing to get involved and saying to the politicians to simply call a vote to condemn what he did and throw him out that way. Courts are very reluctant to wade into political manouvers on the floor. This is a new one. and it has very strong implications for future moves by any politician trying to do the same in countries similar to Britain like Canada, Australia, New Zealand.

On 9/22/2019 at 5:41 AM, kactus said:

Britain will be fu*#ed and I mean it in the most literal term...

Hell we talk about 2016 referendum where people voted Brexit. Democracy in action....A large proportion of these Brexitiers were elderlies who thought voting Brexit will save jobs for their grandchildren. They never envisaged the day they will exit EU without a deal. They would not have expected this predicament. Some of them are no longer alive. The millennials and youth who are now eligible to vote have inherited this mess and have to put up with it.

Let’s hold another referendum now and we will see if that 52% who voted Brexit in 2016 will vote Brexit again.....

Don’t tell that to the ex-pats though. They may still think that Britania rules the ways.....Because those days are truely gone....

Brexit will not cause any harm in any way to trade with the EU. No country in the EU is going to stop any kinds of trade with Britain if Britain left the EU. All this is is fearmongering on the part of the EU and the globalists and their puppet on a string leftist liberal politicians who are trying to sow panic into the fools who will believe their lies and bs.  

So, lets have another vote and let's just waste millions more tax dollars on another referendum, only because the Brexit people lost. You know dam well that if the no Brexit people had won the referendum they would never allow another referendum Brexit vote. This is just leftist liberalism at work who will not accept anything that they do not approve of and will make and keep them all happy. These leftist liberal are such a bunch of losers and crybabies. It still amazes me as to how so many people today will still listen to and believe that what the alt-left liberal media tells them is the gospel truth when the media has been found out many times that they spread so much manure lies around like horses and cows do.

I think that when it comes to spreading manure around, the lying liberal media would win hands down over what the horses and cows could ever spread and leave around. At least cow and horse manure is good for the environment. The alt left liberal manure is really all good for nothing. Even their constant lies will never help anything to grow, well, maybe help grow more lies. :lol: