Time to Ban AirBNB - It's creating a housing crisis

What's really staggering is just how useless governments worldwide are at reining in developers.

I say we ban capitalism until such time as we can get better control of our governments. I suspect most of the economy is prone to government regulators looking the other way. 

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

What's really staggering is just how useless governments worldwide are at reining in developers.

I say we ban capitalism until such time as we can get better control of our governments. I suspect most of the economy is prone to government regulators looking the other way. 

AirBnB is not a company anyone should respect at this point.

1 hour ago, GostHacked said:

AirBnB is not a company anyone should respect at this point.

I can't say enough about how much of a positive difference Airbnb has had on our financial wellbeing. I can also safely say the same thing about virtually every person I know here-abouts who's hosting on it.

As I pointed out earlier, local politicians who tried to get elected on the basis of doing something about Airbnb were not elected/reelected. That speaks volumes I think. 

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

I can't say enough about how much of a positive difference Airbnb has had on our financial wellbeing. I can also safely say the same thing about virtually every person I know here-abouts who's hosting on it.

As I pointed out earlier, local politicians who tried to get elected on the basis of doing something about Airbnb were not elected/reelected. That speaks volumes I think. 

You seem to take this as a personal affront to your making money via AirBnB.  Over 5 pages now I've shown the plethora of problems associated with AirBnB.  You are but one single operator in a sea of absolute crap. You and a few might be good operators, but the company you advertise through it absolute garbage for a city.

These services are starting to crack.  Uber loosing billions.  Deliveroo , Uber Eats and Skip the Dishes are all starting to pull out of certain markets and a lot of restaurant owners are not going with those services anymore as it was impacting their business.

And you really trusted a politician?  I simply boycott AirBnB. I'll stay in reputable hotels with the right services and amenities.

I stand by my notion. Ban AirBnB.

16 hours ago, GostHacked said:

You seem to take this as a personal affront to your making money via AirBnB.  Over 5 pages now I've shown the plethora of problems associated with AirBnB.  You are but one single operator in a sea of absolute crap. You and a few might be good operators, but the company you advertise through it absolute garbage for a city.

I'd suggest the governments in places where the problems have gotten out of hand is the real the garbage. My region is dealing with the issues STR's present and has permitting and application process' in line with the obvious desire of many people to both operate and use them.  We receive something like a million visitors a year where I live with a resident population of less than 5000 permanent residents. Our local governments are perhaps a tad more accountable because everyone knows everyone else and many have seen hard times when other things they once did for a living were banned. I know I'm not prone to passing up opportunities and I have no doubt the tourists will stop coming one day too. Maybe we'll be allowed to go back to fishing and logging again.

These services are starting to crack.  Uber loosing billions.  Deliveroo , Uber Eats and Skip the Dishes are all starting to pull out of certain markets and a lot of restaurant owners are not going with those services anymore as it was impacting their business.

I doubt it would be very difficult to get a local version scaled and tailored to the needs of my region up and running pretty quickly if AirBnb failed or was somehow banned.  I think the technology and business model are the bigger game changers here and both those genies are out of the bottle.  And what are we to make of the demand side for AirBnb listings? It seems to be both huge and insatiable. 

And you really trusted a politician?

Not on your life. Distrust is one of the reasons I'm involved in local politics, an unenumerated volunteer planning commissioner, it keeps my ear closer to the ground and sometimes I can tell when shit is on its way down the pipe before it sprays out. If i can't help deflect it from my neighbourhood maybe I can at least minimize its impact on me. Forewarned is forearmed. It's not all negative I've also been able to contribute towards a good accomplishment or two over the years.  

I simply boycott AirBnB. I'll stay in reputable hotels with the right services and amenities.

I stand by my notion. Ban AirBnB.

How exactly? You've been saying that for 5 pages now without suggesting a plan other than denigrating it. This seems to go beyond simple boycotting but it stands to reason banning is probably easier than taking a big city government to task.  Why is it so hard to make governments act appropriately anyway?  Further to that I'd like to know just how far we can take this banning business because there are all sorts of things going on in the economy that I think should be banned - many of which have probably led to things like housing crises and the need of people to do whatever they can to stay afloat.

Edited by eyeball

Eyeball..  looks like some good news today.. and not from the source I would expect.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/airbnb-montreal-aj-host-suspended-accounts-1.5252233

Airbnb has taken dramatic action against one of its biggest hosts in Canada, shutting down his account last week and others linked to it following a CBC investigation that found they were listing the same properties under different names, boosting each others' ratings and — according to hundreds of reviews — misleading guests about the state of the accommodations.

But the popular short-term rental company won't say why it didn't warn travellers who had already reserved with Montreal-based "AJ" that he was under investigation and that his listings were suspended as of two months ago, or give them the chance to cancel. Hundreds of people stayed at his places even after he was blocked from booking new guests.

"It should have automatically been an email to me or a phone call to me and say, 'Look, your host was suspended,' or 'Sorry, we can help you find another place or give you your money back,'" said Stacy Lapierre, who booked a decently reviewed "Charming Old Montreal Loft" back in April for a mid-July holiday with her girlfriends. 

How AirBnB handled it might be a bit stupid, as in not notifying it's guests about the cancellations.  But this is good after public pressure from multiple investigations by news organizations.

However it looks like this particular operator is talking to how wide spread this issue with certain operators are. I hope more are called out and removed from the platform.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/20/2019 at 10:11 AM, GostHacked said:

Eyeball..  looks like some good news today.. and not from the source I would expect.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/airbnb-montreal-aj-host-suspended-accounts-1.5252233

How AirBnB handled it might be a bit stupid, as in not notifying it's guests about the cancellations.  But this is good after public pressure from multiple investigations by news organizations.

However it looks like this particular operator is talking to how wide spread this issue with certain operators are. I hope more are called out and removed from the platform.

So do I. These imposters with multiple properties working for developers or realtors, are the problem. 

It isn't Airbnb's responsibility to inform guests of changes: It's the host's responsibility. The fact that there were no hands-on hosts, just a fake picture of an imposter and no one really addressing guests' issues, exposes those listings as problemmatic: They'll get bad ratings and reviews from guests, and they won't get bookings in the future.

The Airbnb system is self-correcting.