I was impressed that Ted Cruz voluntarily renounced his Canadian citizenship to show his dedication to representing the United States. I would admire Andrew Scheer if he did the equivalent thing, renouncing his American citizenship to show his dedication to Canada, since he is running for Prime Minister in a few months.

This is actually MANDATORY to run for office in Australia, or even to hold citizenship at all in Japan. I think it is important that our political representatives, if not all our citizens, should show their dedication to representing our nation first, and not have backup plans to reside in other nations if things go wrong.

The only way I could be wrong about this is if Andrew's dad (deacon James D. Scheer, who was born in the Bronx in New York) immigrated to Canada prior to turning 19, or if he renounced his citizenship prior to Andrew's birth in 1979. Andrew hasn't supplied any evidence either of these things happened (James' older brother died in the Bronx, so the family as a whole never left) so I believe it is reasonable to assume he holds American citizenship by birthright by default.

Edited by Virginia

Virginia,

Is Andrew Scheer an American citizen?

Does he have to file with the IRS?

=====

I ask this question because some people/politicians want to expand the right to vote while increasing taxes on richer, fewer people.

As a Canadian, in a world of 7 billion people, I fear expanding the right to vote to a world democracy. 

Edited by August1991

On 3/19/2019 at 5:59 PM, -TSS- said:

Dual citizenship is a problem if the countries in question are at war with each other. Unlikely to happen between the US and Canada. 

Dual citizenship is a problem if you don't pay taxes in the country where you have the right to vote.

Imagine this situation:

"I have never really lived in Canada. Through my late Cdn husband, I have a Cdn passport and I receive CPP/OAP/GIS. I am penniless but I live well in my rich son's condo in Thailand."

"A Cdn political party wants to increase CPP/OAP/GIS payments. Who do I vote for?"

======

I reckon the measure of a civilised society is not voter participation (abroad or at home); it is tax compliance.

Edited by August1991

Funny how some people make assumptions.  Where is the evidence he is a dual citizen first?  Even if he is a dual citizen, where is the evidence this is anything negative?

Secondly where is the evidence he is a racist?

How about producing some evidence instead of making wild allegations?

43 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Funny how some people make assumptions.  Where is the evidence he is a dual citizen first?  Even if he is a dual citizen, where is the evidence this is anything negative?

He was born here as I pointed out above and is not a dual citizen. He is a racist because he associates with and is supported by racists.

On 4/1/2019 at 6:42 PM, August1991 said:

Dual citizenship is a problem if you don't pay taxes in the country where you have the right to vote.

Imagine this situation:

"I have never really lived in Canada. Through my late Cdn husband, I have a Cdn passport and I receive CPP/OAP/GIS. I am penniless but I live well in my rich son's condo in Thailand."

"A Cdn political party wants to increase CPP/OAP/GIS payments. Who do I vote for?"

======

I reckon the measure of a civilised society is not voter participation (abroad or at home); it is tax compliance.

There are many new immigrants that obtained their Canadian citizenship and then took off back to the country from whence they came and lived and worked there. 

I do not understand as to why the hell you are receiving those pension benefits if you hardly ever lived in Canada if at all? So, I guess how things work here in la la land is that once you can get a Canadian passport you can automatically collect a pension from Canada, and go live in Thailand, which it would appear to me to be your home town.It looks to me like you are one of those women that Canadian men go looking for in some third world Asian country to marry and shack up with. What a sucker country this Canada has become.  Disgusting. 

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

Racists-racists are everywhere. Well, according to some people around here anyway. I won't mention their silly wild accusation names. :D