Ottawa LRT - When will it be ready?

GostHacked

Since the snowstorm the trains have not been back on the tracks for testing.  These trains are designed for North American climates, but have NEVER been tested in such climates.  Ottawa is spending 300 million on trains that have NO track record.  One got stuck and had to be pulled back to the depot. How the hell are we to believe these trains will actually work during the cold and snow? They have only 6 weeks for all that to get sorted out.

Two delays putting the launch date down the line for over a year.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-lrt-delays-cost-25m-1.4934030

Delays in completing Ottawa's light-rail system has cost $25 million so far, according to a memo the city treasurer sent to council members Wednesday afternoon. 

The city is hoping to recoup most of the costs from Rideau Transit Group (RTG), the consortium building Ottawa's $2.1-billion LRT, but there's no guarantee that will happen. 

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/city-says-lrt-delay-will-save-nearly-1m-if-the-contract-holds-up

HA well that million dollar saving has been pissed away.  Chump change considering the whole project is 2.1 billion.

The city is telling council members that it stands to save nearly $1 million on delaying the Confederation Line LRT about 10 months.

It’s an optimistic estimate, though, since the grand tally of extra costs and savings related to the delay depends on the city’s reading of its $2.1-billion construction contract with the Rideau Transit Group.

City council on Wednesday received a summary of the financial implications of the delay in a memo from corporate services general manager Marian Simulik.

Assuming that RTG hands over the LRT system in the first quarter of 2019, the city will actually come out ahead $900,000 when the costs of running the bus routes, keeping the O-Train construction office open and losing extra revenue from a projected ridership increase are factored in, according to the city.

What is really pissing me off as a driver in Ottawa is the notion from OC Transpo of 'Share the Road'. When there are many places I can no longer go because of the buses needing to use the road in stead of their dedicated routes.  Can't get on the hiway going east from Lees, St. Laurent.  Cannot get to Orleans coming from Montreal, that's all blocked off.

The impact this bullshit has had on city traffic over the past two years has been just stupid.  Combine that with construction in the downtown core, and all this is one huge cluster fudge. I expect this to be delayed AGAIN. And I expect a shit load of problems from untested trains in cold environments.

3 hours ago, GostHacked said:

The impact this bullshit has had on city traffic over the past two years has been just stupid.  Combine that with construction in the downtown core, and all this is one huge cluster fudge. I expect this to be delayed AGAIN. And I expect a shit load of problems from untested trains in cold environments.

Then you won't be disappointed. They'd have been better off to just put the money into improvements to the existing transitway. Once self-riving cars are a thing nobody is going to take the damn train anyway.

Edited by Argus

Yep,  delayed again...

This time it is because the 300 million spent were for trains never vetted in winter environments.  How stupid can people be?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/lrt-trains-unreliable-says-report-1.5038832

Ottawa's $2.1-billion light rail system, supposed to be finished by the end of this month, will not only miss its third completion deadline but is experiencing issues far more serious than city officials have led the public to believe, according to internal reports obtained by CBC.

Now I think we know why it's taking so long and over budget .. SNC-Lavalin strikes again. Sure I know it's only part of it. But this has been an absolute shit show from the get go.

The reports from the city's rail operations show a litany of issues with the Confederation Line — the east-west system being built by the SNC Lavalin-led Rideau Transit Group — especially when it comes to the system's ability to handle Ottawa winters.

"Vehicles are currently unreliable to the point that it has not been demonstrated that operations can be sustained during a winter weather event," according to one report from last week.

The reports say that "panels are coming loose and breaking on LRVs [light-rail vehicles] due to snow building up on the vehicles," and that snow and ice are "frequently causing the doors to freeze shut."

Both brakes and bogies — the underframe of the rail car that holds the wheels — also freeze up if the vehicles "sit for any amount of time" outdoors during a snowfall.

And now they are entertaining running more buses to make up for the deficiency.

This is already a billion over budget, and delayed for a 3rd time. I could do a better job.  Someone needs to be fired.

Winter Event ,, means ..   snow.

Edited by GostHacked

• 3 months later...

A second train has derailed and this time they ain't saying shit about what is happening, If this continues you are going to be hard pressed to get people to ride the LRT, no one wants to be the first casualties on this track.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/2nd-lrt-train-derailed-1.5189462

But unlike the last time, when city officials held a news conference on the sidewalk across the street from the yard, the city is now refusing to comment on what exactly what went wrong, or whether the train was damaged.

Instead, the city told CBC to contact Rideau Transit Group (RTG), the consortium building the $2.1-billion east-west line, even though under the LRT contract communications for the massive project is generally the responsibility of the city.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/oc-transpo-overtime-costs-rising-1.5200845

So they anticipated the LRT completion, sent lay off notices, then they found out it's going to be late. Rescinded the layoffs, but a lot said 'fuck it, i'm out.'  which resulted into 30% increase in overtime pay.  I wonder what the true cost of this LRT delay is.  It's not just 1.5 billion over budget,  money wasted on overtime, stressing out drivers which puts riders at rick (fatigue). Time and money wasted by delays in moving around the city daily. Cost to businesses that are affected by the LRT construction (restricting movement).

I bet that cost would be close to 3 billion. 

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/20/2019 at 12:46 PM, Argus said:

Then you won't be disappointed. They'd have been better off to just put the money into improvements to the existing transitway. Once self-riving cars are a thing nobody is going to take the damn train anyway.

If this is true...what's the point of bike lanes?

So, the TSB report on broken wheels is out and .... basically all wheels must be eventually replaced.

The big news though is that Ottawa city manager Steve Kanellakos bails out 3 days before the LRT report is due to be made public. He says for personal reasons???  And that there my be speculation as to why he is leaving his $307K per yer job (highest pay in the city). Or, it may hit the fan and he want to be out of there?

Edited by ExFlyer
  • Like 1

So xx million dollars and the report is finally out

"He found that the city chose unproven technology for the trains, RTG didn't coordinate the work of its subcontractors, the city rushed the LRT system into service before it was ready due to political pressure, and RTG and its subcontractors did not provide adequate maintenance." 

Geez, I could have told them that for less than $100 LOL

"A scathing report on Ottawa’s troubled LRT says councillors were deliberately misled by the city’s most senior manager during construction and questions whether the city is capable of managing large infrastructure projects."

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-news/report-blames-failures-failure-in-leadership-deliberate-malfeasance-for-lrt-troubles

So, now we know why the City Manager, Steve Kanellakos, bailed out 2 days before the report was released.  The head of OC Transpo, John Manconi, also quit a while back and the Mayor did not run for election. The Three Musketeers of LRT all bailed before the poop hit the fan.

Prepare for it to be the new normal. Like it was some rocket technology. Throw a lot of public dough, ask no questions and see what happens. The country is steadily and happily on the path to the third world (and the rail runs better in some places there). Yes, we can.