Secret Mulroney Tapes

On Trudeau:

"He didn't want anybody to succeed where he had failed. Trudeau's contribution was not to build Canada but to destroy it, and I had to come in and save it. Three times I've achieved unanimity. In 16 years, he couldn't do it once, the 'great statesman.' "

On the media:

"Business is booming," the prime minister says at one point, "our jobs are up and everything is going fine. But the Toronto Star says Brian Mulroney is a shit. So I change newspapers. I went to The Globe and Mail, which says I'm a spendthrift and an asshole. So I decided to go to the Sun, a real conservative paper run by Paul Godfrey. I read Claire Hoy's column, and I'm a thief and a murderer."

On Bouchard:

"I have never known," says a crushed Mr. Mulroney, "a more vulgar expression of betrayal and deceit."

On Clyde Wells:

"You know all politicians take liberties. That's the nature of the beast, getting kicked around and trying to get things done in an imperfect system. But nothing has ever compared to the lack of principle of this son of a bitch. Lookit, on the night before the vote I was standing in the rain on the doorstep of his house and asked him what the odds were. He told me that after my speech, they were good -- at least 50-50. This was after he had already made up his mind to cancel the vote."

On Kim Campbell:

"a very vain person" - "the most incompetent campaign I've seen in my life."  "Throughout the whole goddam thing, she's been screwing around with this Russian guy. The guy was sneaking into hotel rooms and the campaign bus. If I'm in an election and you bring Marilyn Monroe and 15 others into my hotel room, I'd throw them out. You have no time for that stuff. If you have 15 minutes, you phone some of your candidates."

On himself:

"By the time history is done looking at this and you look at my achievements as opposed to any others, certainly no one will be in Sir John A.'s league -- but my nose will be a little ahead of most in terms of achievements. Nobody has achievements like this, Peter. I can say that to you objectively. You cannot name a Canadian prime minister who has done as many significant things as I did, because there are none."

On the book:

"The publishers don't have to worry about whether this thing is going to sell," he told Mr. Newman some 20 years ago. "The only question they're going to have to wonder about is whether they've got enough paper in the forest to print the fucking books.

"That's all they have to worry about. I'll tell you this, if there ain't a good book in this, there's not a good book in Canadian history."

G & M

The fact of the matter is, Mulroney's largely right. I'm sure he feels good getting this out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice words for Campbell... I think BM was a jerk and he sure is proving it to us now woth those quotes.

Campbell doesn't deserve any nice words. People forget it now, but the Conservatives were right in it in that election. I can't recall how close it was, but they had a great chance, and then they made one collosul blunder after another, including several really dumb statements from her, and they went right down the crapper.

Campbell doesn't deserve any nice words. People forget it now, but the Conservatives were right in it in that election. I can't recall how close it was, but they had a great chance, and then they made one collosul blunder after another, including several really dumb statements from her, and they went right down the crapper.

My favorite one was:

"An election is no time to discuss serious issues". :blink:

Great analysis Argus.

The quote Cartman mentioned is one of the blunders. The 'Jean Chretien is ugly' ads is another. I voted Liberal because of those ads.....

I'm quite surprised there is that much support for Mulroney, mind you it is early in the polling .

An upcoming book claims former Prime Minister Brian Mulroney thought Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau didn't build Canada, rather he destroyed it. Mulroney claims it was up to him to save the country. What former Prime Minister do you think had a more positive impact on Canada?

Trudeau    65.9%

Mulroney  34.0%

My favorite one was:

"An election is no time to discuss serious issues". :blink:

She also said there would be double digit unemployment until at least the turn of the century and there was nothing the government could do about it. Don't get me wrong - it was more or less true. But you don't say things like that in an election. In fact, even after an election you're supposed to project leadership and give people hope. She sounded like she'd simply washed her hands of the problem.

This is what Paul wells had to say:

There is no way to convey the bile and self-satisfaction that flow across the middle nine pages of our little magazine except to invite you to read it for yourself. It is amazing stuff. It will remind you who we had running the country for nine years.

This is what Norman Spector said:

Judging from the front-page of today's Globe and Mail (today's top story), it seems that, after their deal fell through, Peter Newman picked up the pieces and proceeded with his book on Brian Mulroney.

This is what Mulroney himself had to say:

"I was reckless in talking with Peter C. Newman,' " Mulroney said, according to spokesman Luc Lavoie.

"`This was my mistake and I'm going to have to live with it.' "

according to the Toronto Star

I still think that Mulroney feels better that it's all out there. If only for this reason, as quoted in the G & M story above:

Mr. Mulroney wanted to come across as he was, warts and all, convinced that in all of this country's history only one prime minister, Sir John A., had come across as "real."

"I don't want a puff job," Mr. Mulroney told Mr. Newman.

He didn't get one.

----

Mulroney has a huge ego, and he was ambitious and a glad-handler. But it's difficult to be successful in politics without that. Politicians are typically convinced of their own rightness. Or as if Jack Layton or Paul Martin don't have egos and don't use four-letter words.

And Mulroney is largely right. Trudeau, more than anybody, sank Meech Lake. (And if Meech Lake had passed, there would have been no BQ, no 1995 referendum and the only kind of pequistes would be the Jean-Daniel Lafond types.)

Mulroney made Bouchard and brought him to Ottawa in a sincere desire to make the country work. Mulroney had every reason to feel betrayed.

Campbell did blow that 1993 campaign, in the way Mulroney said she did. (Read John Crosbie's book.)

And Mulroney did face down the English-Canada media elite in 1988, winning the free trade election by going over their heads to get the support of ordinary Canadians.

----

I realize that Mulroney is poorly viewed in English-Canada but he is reasonably well thought of in French-Canada. Trudeau, on the other hand, is generally well seen in English-Canada (or, maybe just Ontario) but badly seen in Quebec. I won't even mention Chretien.

My predictions usually turn out wrong so who knows how history will view them. But once Trudeau's style is forgotten, what will be left? Mulroney actually did something - and he came very close to doing alot.

----

Mulroney has a huge ego, and he was ambitious and a glad-handler.  But it's difficult to be successful in politics without that.  Politicians are typically convinced of their own rightness.  Or as if Jack Layton or Paul Martin don't have egos and don't use four-letter words.

And Mulroney is largely right.  Trudeau, more than anybody, sank Meech Lake.  (And if Meech Lake had passed, there would have been no BQ, no 1995 referendum and the only kind of pequistes would be the Jean-Daniel Lafond types.)

Mulroney made Bouchard and brought him to Ottawa in a sincere desire to make the country work.  Mulroney had every reason to feel betrayed.

Campbell did blow that 1993 campaign, in the way Mulroney said she did.  (Read John Crosbie's book.)

And Mulroney did face down the English-Canada media elite in 1988, winning the free trade election by going over their heads to get the support of ordinary Canadians.

----

Damn right on all counts.

Another big accomplishment of Mulroney's was setting the regulatory environment for the big boom of the 90s. He shoulda done more on reducing the deficit , but Trudeau did f**k things up pretty well on the fiscal front.

These supportive comments about Mulroney, you're joking right. It is important to have a sense of humour. :lol:

A book published today quotes Brian Mulroney as saying he was the best PM since Sir John A. Macdonald. Where would you rank him?

The best  1046 votes    (10 %)

The worst  4683 votes    (46 %)

Somewhere in between  4400 votes    (43 %)

Total Votes: 10129

Did you mean "fooling" ordinary Canadians. With Wilson's first budget saying that they were going to "make the rich pay their fair share" and such to throw off the scent about what they were really up to ... He brought in the regressive GST under which poorer people pay a larger percentage of their income in Mulroney's new sales tax.
I realize that Mulroney is poorly viewed in English-Canada but he is reasonably well thought of in French-Canada.  Trudeau, on the other hand, is generally well seen in English-Canada (or, maybe just Ontario) but badly seen in Quebec. 
Trudeau was charismatic, and at the same time had the testicular fortitude to tell those with an adversarial position just where to get off. When meeting with the USA, he returned with no stains on the front of his suit, as did Mulroney....
I won't even mention Chretien.
While I was never a big fan of Cretiens, especially since he didn't remove the regressive GST as promised... but I'll take my hat off to him for his stand on Iraq.... For that we should all be forever grateful. (Because you know our boys would be coming back in body bags if we had a Tory government... )
My predictions usually turn out wrong so who knows how history will view them.  But once Trudeau's style is forgotten, what will be left?  Mulroney actually did something - and he came very close to doing alot.
Yes.. he sold us to the United States, made sure that the poor and downtrodden didn't get off too easy...

Mulroney was nothing but a legend in his own mind. Far from being the best Prime Minister this country has had since John A. he was one of the worst, that is next to Chretien and Martin. All three are and still are some of the most arrogant and egotistical individuals to ever enter Canadian politics.

If Trudeau was responsible for scuttling Meech Lake, he deserves a pat on the back, because if passed this pact would have made Quebec feel more special than they already do. They have shown themselves to be a Province that cares little about Canada, and in fact has continually sent separtist's to Ottawa with an aim to destroy this country from the inside out. The sooner they vote to separate the sooner Canada can get on with an agenda meant to benefit us all. As long as Quebec stays it seems that the whole mandate of the Federal Government is to appease Quebec with special side-deals. At least if they leave we will forever be rid of the likes of Mulroney, Chretien, Martin and any other Quebecois that is lined up to take their place as federal leaders.

I was quite amused that he would dare to try to take the credit for something that even his buddy, Ronald Reagan, would never dare to take any credit for.

About Ottawa reporters he was quoted as saying:

"A phoney bunch of bastards" who refused to give him credit for brokering a deal between Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev and President George H.W. Bush that led to the Berlin Wall's fall.

My favorite one was:

"An election is no time to discuss serious issues".  :blink:

Wrong time for Kim to be honest, that's for sure!

My favorite one so far is where Brian Mulroney gives his evaluation of Chretien for criticizing the Tories over free trade and then proceeding with NAFTA.

Said he:

"Only a mean, dirty bastard would do something like that or a f------ stupid one. And you know what? He's both." :lol:

She also said there would be double digit unemployment until at least the turn of the century and there was nothing the government could do about it. Don't get me wrong - it was more or less true. But you don't say things like that in an election.

You know what I think? I think that had she won and gotten a few years in the primeministerial chair under her belt, she'd be widely know as the "Most Honest Politician of all Times" today.

Nobody would ever make comments like ... "LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE" ... about her. And not only because she always wore skirts. :D

Mulroney was nothing but a legend in his own mind. Far from being the best Prime Minister this country has had since John A. he was one of the worst, that is next to Chretien and Martin. All three are and still are some of the most arrogant and egotistical individuals to ever enter Canadian politics.

If Trudeau was responsible for scuttling Meech Lake, he deserves a pat on the back, because if passed this pact would have made Quebec feel more special than they already do. They have shown themselves to be a Province that cares little about Canada, and in fact has continually sent separtist's to Ottawa with an aim to destroy this country from the inside out. The sooner they vote to separate the sooner Canada can get on with an agenda meant to benefit us all. As long as Quebec stays it seems that the whole mandate of the Federal Government is to appease Quebec with special side-deals. At least if they leave we will forever be rid of the likes of Mulroney, Chretien, Martin and any other Quebecois that is lined up to take their place as federal leaders.

I completely disagree with your first paragraph. Mulroney did a lot of good things in office. Chretien will be remembered rather well and poor Mr. Dithers. Two straight minority governments (as a best-case scenario) then retiring means history will vilify him.

Mostly agree with the second paragraph. Canada will be better off in the long-run for rejecting Meech.

I truly hope Quebec does stay in Canada. What I think it will take is another lost separation referendum, followed by a provincial Liberal win in Quebec.

I completely disagree with your first paragraph. Mulroney did a lot of good things in office. Chretien will be remembered rather well and poor Mr. Dithers. Two straight minority governments (as a best-case scenario) then retiring means history will vilify him.

Mostly agree with the second paragraph. Canada will be better off in the long-run for rejecting Meech.

I truly hope Quebec does stay in Canada. What I think it will take is another lost separation referendum, followed by a provincial Liberal win in Quebec.

What on Earth did Chretien do to be remembered well? If getting elected is the only accomplishment that counts, then I guess he was fabulous. If doing something, anything, to give the country a direction to grow in is what counts, then Chretien was an abject failure of herculean proportions.

Dear sloopy

Unfortunatley as it shows below hardly anyone agrees with you, which is par for the course with your usual brilliant comments.

A book quotes Brian Mulroney as saying he was the best PM since Sir John A. Macdonald. Where would you rank him?

The best   1217 votes     (10 %)

The worst   5649 votes     (46 %)

Somewhere in between   5362 votes     (44 %)

Total Votes: 12228

Cheers

What on Earth did Chretien do to be remembered well? If getting elected is the only accomplishment that counts, then I guess he was fabulous. If doing something, anything, to give the country a direction to grow in is what counts, then Chretien was an abject failure of herculean proportions.

I don't know. He got 3 back to back majority governments, had 7 back to back balanced budgets, kept 78% of their red book promises, introduced the Clarity Act, signed on to the Kyoto protocol, initiated the Romanow Commission on health care....

Seems to me he didn't just sit on his hands. The biggest thing the critics complain about is that he didn't get rid of the GST. Well, in actuality and in reality, the GST has been responsible in part for Canada's prosperity. Chretien a failure? Don't think so.