Layton Gears Up For Election Fight

mirror

Again,you make no sense.

Make it another all nighter,brother,your shining beacon of intelligence will give us something to shake our heads about tomorrow.

Gotta go now, my life is calling me.

"I just never let anything bother me, man. I know myself really well. Nobody's opinion of me can shake my opinion of myself."

-Ruben Studdard

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take 3 hours off,vote and get paid for 3 hours. Most people who vote,vote because they feel it's their duty...and they DON'T get paid to do it.What a social conscience you must have.Oh, I forgot,your NDP,your just full of it...social conscience that is.
The time off is for people to be able to go and vote. Some people don't work right beside their polling stations or their houses, so it is a good idea. I think you'll find that businesses don't "clear out" four hours early on election day. Do you do it ??
So what union do you belong to (igorant low-life comment removed) .I do belong to a union and your kind make me sick. Constantly talking about the NDP , but ripping off the system, like you have the right to.

Why do half-wit hypocrites like yourself who, as you have testified, "rip off the system", stay in your union. If it offends you so much, why don't you quit. Would being a HYPOCRITE have anything to do with your staying in your union job.

I'm having trouble deciphering one of your sentences, above. "Constantly talking about the NDP , but ripping off the system, like you have the right to." Do you mean that he doesn't have the right to talk about the NDP ??. It's a good thing unions allow MORONS to join, otherwise you might not have that cushy job to complain about ....

NDP to push pet policies, Layton says

As a two-day NDP caucus retreat wrapped up, Layton took pains to avoid threatening to bring down the fragile minority government he helped prop up last spring in exchange for expensive changes to the Liberal budget.

"I don't do threats. That's not the way to do politics. That's what you do in the schoolyard and what we're talking about is getting something done," said Layton.

"If that doesn't happen, then the House will fall apart and there'll be an election."

How the other three parties react to the NDP's proposals, which he refused to go into in any detail, will help determine whether the government survives into the new year, he said.

Layton said "a lot of political games" were starting up again as happened in the spring when the minority government teetered on the edge.

As examples, he cited Martin talking about wanting a majority government and comments from other party leaders about alliances to defeat the Liberals.

"It just says to the Canadian people that these parties didn't learn anything from the chaos of the spring," said Layton.

Layton also said his party would push this fall for the regulation of gas prices, but ruled out pressing for any nationalization of the industry.

Sep 26 the first day of the new session is not that far away. Sounds as if it might get busy with lots of meetings going on between the various political parties. I'm glad as least one political leader is speaking out on behalf of the CBC.

The union has nothing to do with how you vote as it is a secret ballot, so apart from making sure that the employer follows the law, the union has nothing to do with it. You can therefore remove that myth from your list as well.

Do you get some sense of satisfaction from union bashing with absurd and inaccurate comments about how unions function. Just because a union turned your membership application down is no reason for you to be upset.

i know countless people that belong to the CAW and have been told they must vote for the NDP. Not all of them do, but they definitly are told. It must work too, since Windsor being the automotive capital of Canada has two NDP MPs in power.

Mirror, the more you post the less you make sense.

In this country, belonging to a unionized employer  is NOT a matter of choice. Union dues are removed from your pay whether you like unions  or not.

The more posts I see of yours  the more I think you pretend to know about unions or anything union related,but in actual fact you could not possibly be a member of anything that involves work.

Keep posting brother, you,re  going nowhere Monitor man.

Dear CES

Sorry that you are such a prisoner in Canada. Better call Amnesty International! :lol:

I didn't realize that unionized employees were not allowed to work elsewhere, oh actually they are. You can go to work anywhere you want in Canada. Stop with your moaning and leave all those wonderful union perks behind. Have the courage of your convictions, quit, and just try and get yourself a better job! But you won't I can tell. You're the type who just likes to complain about everything but won't do anything about it, because you have it so good in a union.

Cheers

You seem to take for granted that the union provides the employees with nothing. A union only makes money off dues. The employer is the one paying the benefits and wages. Take a look at the 1,100 jobs that are being lost in Windsor, thanks to the closure of the Ford Foundry. The union can't do a thing about it because they don't provide job security, pay or benefits. They're negotiators not providers.

Wow...it sure looks as though there are a few people paranoid that the NDP will have more influence.

If you mean that there are a few people that don't agree with the NDP platform, then you're right.

If you think there's some secret conspiracy to keep then down, then you're nuts.

If you mean that there are a few people that don't agree with the NDP platform, then you're right.

If you think there's some secret conspiracy to keep then down, then you're nuts.

Kind of a misuse of paranoid. I would be scared as hell of an NDP government, but I trust the intelligence of the Canadian people to never let that one happen.

The money the Liberals mishandled in Adscam is nothing compared to the cash PM Layton would piss away....

Care to explain that, or are you just baiting people for the sake of it?
No, not baiting. I am just saying that some folks here have tended to respond rather strongly to a party that is described as having no chance of success. I mean, nobody is freaking out about the Greens who have a low probability of success and they advocate further taxes on fuel when it appears most people want fuel taxes reduced or at least maintained at current levels. Why posts like this?
If you don't have an employer you probably are NDP anyway! As long as that gov't cheque keeps rolling, they'll keep voting NDP. Why go to work when your gov't will look after you!
Believe it or not, some of the unemployed do vote for other parties and many New Democrats are employed.
Yeah, like those freaks are ever going to form government.

This is your own post. It is inappropriate to call the New Democrats "freaks" and then turn around and ask whether I am baiting. While I agree that the likelihood of the NDP forming government is quite low, I think we could use more congenial terminology. It takes little effort really.

I don't even know how to respond to this, but it certainly never entered my mind. I find it odd, however, that if I had said such a thing, I would be considered "nuts" when the right constantly decries the conspiracy of the Liberal media.

Would you please explain why Conservatives can validly complain about such a conspiracy but ND's are "nuts" when they do so?

Let's not forget something here, it was Jack Layton and his NDP Team that has kept this corrupt government in power this long, so why is Layton now so concerned about the corruption, and inefficiancies of the Liberla's under Paul Martin's Liberals?

Dread the thought of the NDP ever forming the government in this country, if we think we have BIG GOVERNMENT now, look out, because if Layton has his way government will be all about doing everything for Canadians, including holding their hands going to the John. We need less government, not more, and that is why I will never again support the NDP, besides the fact that the NDP no longer represents the little guy, or working man in this country. Yes, that's right, I said never again because before Alexia took the NDP to the middle of the political spectrum I used to vote exclusively NDP, and Alexia changed all that. Now we have three parties that represent a pro-corporate agenda.

Dread the thought of the NDP ever forming the government in this country, if we think we have BIG GOVERNMENT now, look out, because if Layton has his way government will be all about doing everything for Canadians, including holding their hands going to the John. We need less government, not more, and that is why I will never again support the NDP, besides the fact that the NDP no longer represents the little guy, or working man in this country.

Why even contemplate the effects of something nobody believes will happen? We might as well start thinking of what will happen if the Greens or the Marxists take power. The overt fears on this board are making me suspect that the right really is afraid of NDP success. Although the NDP will likely not win a federal election outright, the possibility of a coalition with the Liberals is distinctly possible and Layton has demonstrated an ability to further his agenda with marginal resources. Maybe the right has a reason to fear Layton while the left has little reason to fear Harper.

Yeah, like those freaks are ever going to form government.

This is your own post. It is inappropriate to call the New Democrats "freaks" and then turn around and ask whether I am baiting. While I agree that the likelihood of the NDP forming government is quite low, I think we could use more congenial terminology. It takes little effort really.

My apologies.

Your post is a little confusing because you are replying to me and one other poster in the reply I am quoting from.

But your baiting was also inappropriate.

The collaboration between the ND's and the Liberals showed the country how a democracy really works.
I think that Canadians still want a minority government, but one that works. My prediction is that the Liberals will win another minority government, but they will still need the NDP to maintain power and legitimacy.

I think that Canadians still want a minority government, but one that works.  My prediction is that the Liberals will win another minority government, but they will still need the NDP to maintain power and legitimacy.

Are you saying that the NDs have given the Liberals legitimacy in the current government? What do you define as legitimacy and how are the NDs 'giving legitimacy, to the Liberals?

i know countless people that belong to the CAW and have been told they must vote for the NDP.  Not all of them do, but they definitly are told.  It must work too, since Windsor being the automotive capital of Canada has two NDP MPs in power.
That's funny.. because in the last provincial election, the CAW was telling their people to vote Liberal to make sure that the Conservatives didn't get in....

And maybe you need some help putting two plus two together.... A union has no way of knowing how its members vote... the union is not allowed to go to the voting booth with the auto workers... It's a "secret" vote.... So I don't see how it can be a threat to anyone with half of a brain.....

Which makes me wonder... Have you been you talking to Canuck E. Stan recently.....

CAW political wing

Toronto, Ontario

August 20, 2003

Federal NDP leader Jack Layton told the 1,000 delegates, guests and staff that his party is encouraged by the new political initiative from the CAW and vowed to earn their support.

"I think it is a very important new direction and it opens up a new chapter in our work together.

NDP contributions

Update: Ok, we're corporate whores too (albeit less so), but check out the NDP!

After my own research, these are the numbers that I came up with:

Liberal Party of Canada top donors.

1. $2,974,341.20 55555 Inc. (Paul Martin Leadership Fund)

2. $172,781.14 Canadian National Rail Company (Corporation)

3. $148,257.17 Bombardier (Corporation)

4. $135,889.00 Grant Forest Products (Corporation)

5. $111,750.50 Bell Canada (Corporation) (Including BCE and Bell Globemedia)

6. $106,055.65 Kruger Inc. (Corporation)

7. $105,892.00 EnCana Corporation (Corporation)

8. $104,726.70 SNC-Lavalin (Corporation)

9. $100,000.00 Donald Meehan (Individual)

10. $95,000.00 Power Corporation (Corporation)

Conservative Party of Canada top donors:

1. $91,703.9 Scotiabank (Corporation)

2. $70,976.64 Magna International (Corporation)

3. $45,000 Power Corporation (Corporation)

4. $41,015.34 Bank of Montreal (Corporation)

5. $59,655.79 Bell Canada (including BCE and Bell Globemedia) (Corporation)

6. $35,404.10 Telus Corporation (Corporation)

7. $28,359.02 McCarthy Tétrault (Corporation)

8. $25,000 CanWest Global Communications Corporation (Corporation)

9. $22,820.00 Canadian Alliance Lethbridge Constituency Association (Non-profit organization)

10. $20,000.00 George Weston (Individual)

and... holy crap, check out the NDP...

New Democratic Party top donors:

1. $909,775.00 CEP (Trade Union)

2. $775,919.60 UFCW Canada (Trade Union)

3. $823,289.60 CAW (Trade Union)

4. $374,789.68 CUPE (Trade Union)

5. $791,064.34 USWA (Trade Union)

6. $252,619.60 OPSEU (Trade Union)

7. $219,440.00 Canadian Labour Congress (Trade Union)

8. $205,900.00 IAM & AW (Trade Union)

9. $159,850.00 SEIU (Trade Union)

10. $105,246.40 Ontario Eng Catholic Teacher's Association (Trade Union)

So, whenever somebody tells you that the Conservatives are influenced too much by "Big Business", show them that the Liberals receive significantly more in cold cash contributions from corporations. Also, look at the NDP numbers. "Big Unions" have a significantly greater political influence on the NDP than "Big Business" ever had on the Liberals or Conservatives. A substantial problem is that as a union member, one doesn't have much control over which political party to which their union dues are donated. As a corporate shareholder, however, one can always sell their shares.

Ok now give me a rebuttal about the CAW not supporting the NDP

The difference is that unions are democratic. If union memebers are not happy with their union leaders they can vote them out.

What about corporate employees who don't want their company contributing to the Tories or the Grits? What are their options?

Are corporations democratic?  Case closed!  :)

They can buy shares in the company and vote at the AGMs.

Hmmmm, anybody can buys shares in a company. You gotta have an in to get into a union shop in many cases.

Which really is more democratic? :lol:

Union donations are the collective contributions of hundreds of thousands of individuals. Corporate donations are the bribes of a few who are seeking to influence a political party.

BTW, it is not accurate to include Martin's leadership fund without counting the leadership monies of others.

New Democratic Party top donors:

1. $909,775.00 CEP (Trade Union)

2. $775,919.60 UFCW Canada (Trade Union)

3. $823,289.60 CAW (Trade Union)

4. $374,789.68 CUPE (Trade Union)

5. $791,064.34 USWA (Trade Union)

6. $252,619.60 OPSEU (Trade Union)

7. $219,440.00 Canadian Labour Congress (Trade Union)

8. $205,900.00 IAM & AW (Trade Union)

9. $159,850.00 SEIU (Trade Union)

10. $105,246.40 Ontario Eng Catholic Teacher's Association (Trade Union)

Ok now give me a rebuttal about the CAW not supporting the NDP

I don't know what is sadder. That the NDs get so much money from unions, or that their memberships aren't outraged that their misspent dues aren't going towards actually making a difference for them. :lol: