NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

1 hour ago, Dougie93 said:

Mitch Marner signs!

6 years at $10.895 AAV

Let's go, baby!

Told you it was all negotiation tactics, didn't expect him until September anyway, the media made a mountain out of a molehill, simply because there was nothing else to talk about. That's the Toronto Hockey Media for you, always full of shit and running with rumors to con people into panicking because it gets them more page clicks.

I didn't fall for their bullshit for even one second.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Told you it was all negotiation tactics, didn't expect him until September anyway, the media made a mountain out of a molehill, simply because there was nothing else to talk about. That's the Toronto Hockey Media for you, always full of shit and running with rumors to con people into panicking because it gets them more page clicks.

I didn't fall for their bullshit for even one second.

I thought the absolute best they could get was 5 x 10.8 for $54 million

So they exceeded by expectations by an extra year of UFA

Praise Debeezus!  Woooooo!

Edited by Dougie93

Looks like Babs is going with Kappy first up for Hyman's spot on the top line.

Kapanen - Tavares - Marner

Might be a good way to get more goals out of that spot, Kapanen not as heavy as Hyman but is faster and could put the puck in the net playing with the Big Two.

Nieuvirth out injured already in camp, so Hutchinson is back in the breach.

Tyson Barrie says he take J-Gards spot on the 2PP Mo remains on the 1PP

Barrie is playing Muzzin as expected.  No Rielly - Barrie pairing as expected.

Paul Mcfarlane new looks on the PP.

Matthews and Marner switch sides.

8 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yeah it's not like an RFA sitting out didn't effect the Leafs last year or anything. :rolleyes:

Yeah well pretending the anytime a guy doesn't sign immediately, that it means it's going to Nylanderville, everybody panic, is ridiculous. You're a rube for falling for it, the media played you because you thought an outlier was the new normal, the media simply pretended that it was because they had nothing else to talk about and wanted to keep people from tuning out.

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Yeah well pretending the anytime a guy doesn't sign immediately, that it means it's going to Nylanderville, everybody panic, is ridiculous. You're a rube for falling for it, the media played you because you thought an outlier was the new normal because they simply pretended that it was because they had nothing else to talk about.

Yeah because I was panicking. Cite. 

Plenty of RFAs held out this year. Patrik Laine this hasn't been signed. It's clearly a tactic. 

It's a classic example of "Playing the Result" that you mock anyone that thought Marner would follow suit. 

I'll admit it'd be dumb because any team that would be willing to pay him north of $10 mil a year isn't the Stanley Cup contender that the Leaves are. 

Edited by Boges

3 minutes ago, Boges said:

Yeah because I was panicking. Cite. 

Plenty of RFAs held out this year. Patrik Laine this hasn't been signed. It's clearly a tactic. 

It's a classic example of "Playing the Result" that you mock anyone that thought Marner would follow suit. 

I'll admit it'd be dumb because any team that would be willing to pay him north of $10 mil a year isn't the Stanley Cup contender that the Leaves are. 

Holding out until September is very common, doing so is not a sign that an RFA is about to pull a Nylander. If you are unaware of that, it's because you don't pay attention RFA signings unless there is a year where there is a lot of them, or someone actually holds out into the season, which is extremely rare. Just because it happened last year does not make it the new normal noob.

Edited by Yzermandius19

7 minutes ago, Boges said:

Well you've ported a Trump level of dialogue to Hockey Talk. 

Wonderful. :rolleyes:

RFA's hold out until September all the time, the vast majority of those who do, don't pull a Nylander. You fell for summer hockey panic mongering from the media who know this, but need something to talk about anyway, so they entertain worse case scenario theories to keep the fans attention while waiting for him to sign.

Going into the summer, I knew Rantanen wasn't going to sign until September at the earliest in all likelihood, you didn't hear me panicking about him not being signed because of it, or me panicking now just because he hasn't signed yet.

It's too early to have any clear indication than any unsigned RFA is going to hold out into the season, so the Marner panic was complete nonsense the entire time. If you want to worry about unsigned RFA's, now is not the time to do so, slow your roll.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

RFA's hold out until September all the time, the vast majority of those who do, don't pull a Nylander. You fell for summer hockey panic mongering from the media who know this, but need something to talk about anyway, so they entertain worse case scenario theories to keep the fans attention while waiting for him to sign.

I don't even think the media was panicking but it was the first domino that needed to fall. 

Again, I didn't see it possible for him to do the same thing as Nylander. But it was still worth discussing his place on the team. 

Did he want more than Matthews and JT and is he worth it? That's a worthwhile debate to have. 

10 minutes ago, Boges said:

I don't even think the media was panicking but it was the first domino that needed to fall. 

Again, I didn't see it possible for him to do the same thing as Nylander. But it was still worth discussing his place on the team. 

Did he want more than Matthews and JT and is he worth it? That's a worthwhile debate to have. 

The media was trying to panic fans by pretending Marner just wanted to stick it to the Leafs and only cared about term and money, pretending he was playing super hard ball when he wasn't, playing up offer sheet angles that were never going to happen and shit, pretending like it was infinitely more possible than it actually was, they did it all summer. Acting like Marner was a douche bag who might just hold out just because he was engaging in standard negotiating tactics.

Hell even Dougie fell for it, while I told him calm down the entire time, and stop shitting on Marner because of bullshit media narratives that were clearly only being peddled because there was nothing else to talk about.

Go back and read this thread, I called it months in advance that this is how it would play out, and there was legit zero reason to be worried.

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Hell even Dougie fell for it, while I told him calm down the entire time, and stop shitting on Marner because of bullshit media narratives that were clearly only being peddled because there was nothing else to talk about.

It's not a question of falling for anything, I certainly was hoping that you were right and that as the most likely scenario.

He did get overpaid in the end, but the cap situation loosens up next year, so it's win now mode.

Mitch Lindros still put them over a barrel, Leafs First.

It's not fun being a Leafs fanatic if you're not fanatical.  Omerta.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's not a question of falling for anything, I certainly was hoping that you were right and that as the most likely scenario.

He did get overpaid in the end, but the cap situation loosens up next year, so it's win now mode.

Mitch Lindros still put them over a barrel, Leafs First.

It's not fun being a Leafs fanatic if you're not fanatical.  Omerta.

Players don't like to give away millions of dollars just to help out the Leafs, who knew?

Unlike the fanatics, I could see more clearly because I had no such fanaticism blinding me. If the worst case scenario was going to come to pass, there would have been no sign of it until after September if he still hadn't signed, so there was no reason to worry months in advance.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

F*ck Paul Marner.

Players like to get paid, getting mad at them for it because they play for your team, and there is a salary cap is pretty asinine, that's being overly fanatic.

Wait a few years, it won't even be an overpay. New US TV deal going to raise that cap real fast, you got Marner on the cheap really, because his contract expired before that TV deal raises the bar. Paul Marner cost you like a million in cap space, whoop dee fucking doo.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Players like to get paid, getting mad at them for it because they play for your team, and there is a salary cap is pretty asinine, that's being overly fanatic.

Wait a few years, it won't even be an overpay.

I merely disavow them until they sign the contract.

So long as they are taking offer sheets from Two Phones, they are in no man's land.

13 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I merely disavow them until they sign the contract.

So long as they are taking offer sheets from Two Phones, they are in no man's land.

Obvious negotiation tactic is obvious. Standard negotiation tactics are no indication that he isn't going to sign or that he's going to f*ck the Leafs over in any way.

A slight overpay today is a nice underpay tomorrow. If you had signed Marner to a three-year bridge deal, you'd be paying through the nose on the next deal. 

Mitch did The Leafs a big favor by taking a six year deal, even giving up a year of UFA to do it. But yeah, F*ck Paul Marner, how dare he get Mitch to cave to a Leafs friendly deal in exchange for a slight short term overpay? What an asshole.

Edited by Yzermandius19

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge