NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

Plus he's mean.  Not Tom Wilson mean, but he finishes his checks, he has no compunction about engaging physically, he uses his size.

So many of these big guys turn out to be gentle giants, like Freddie the Goat, Korshkov is the rare big skilled guy who likes to take the body and mix it up.

I think Babs has big plans for him.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

So long as he holds onto that speed while adding to the frame, that'll be pretty sweet.

Probably not going to bulk up to his father's weight, his father was like an enforcer in the KHL but he's likely to be at least 210-215 once he starts on the Gayro shakes and the gym at the Mastercard Center.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Probably not going to bulk up to his father's weight, his father was like an enforcer in the KHL but he's likely to be at least 210-215 once he starts on the Gayro shakes and the gym at the Mastercard Center.

Yeah, like three or four years down the road he'll probably be around 220.

As to Ilya Mikheyev, Babs recruited him so I assuming he's going to be on the team.  Doesn't have the upside of Korshkov, but he definitely looks to be faster and more skilled than Par Lindholm, and Par Lindholm worked out anyways, since for some bizarre reason Winnipeg traded the Leafs Nic Petan for him, so Lindholm turned into a 43rd overall pick C/W

Since Mikheyev is two way, I'm guessing Babs is bringing him in to check and kill penalties, I don't expect a whole lotta offense, but he does appear to be able to wheel.

So far the Leafs forays into Europe for free agents has been a net plus.

Ozighanov didn't have the hockey IQ for NHL pace, but no harm done.

Lindholm was too slow, but they turned him into Petan.

The only problem with Zaitsev was the contract, if Two Phones hadn't brutally overpaid he wouldn't have been such a whipping boy.

Andreas Borgman they might be able to trade for something.

And Calle Rosen they coached up and turned into an asset as well.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

So far the Leafs forays into Europe for free agents has been a net plus.

Ozighanov didn't have the hockey IQ for NHL pace, but no harm done.

Lindholm was too slow, but they turned him into Petan.

The only problem with Zaitsev was the contract, if Two Phones hadn't brutally overpaid he wouldn't have been such a whipping boy.

Andreas Borgman they might be able to trade for something.

And Calle Rosen they coached up and turned into an asset as well.

A huge net positive I'd say, especially when it comes to building up an AHL squad by paying the AHL big bucks to bring these dudes in and stash their contracts in the minors to help their other prospects improve while still putting up a top notch AHL team. Take a swing on high level AHL guys who might just make the NHL some day and try and turn them into assets while they give the AHL team mad depth.

The Leafs are the masters at it, using ownership's deep pockets to weaponize the AHL team into a prospect factory, when most other teams cannot afford to do it. It's one of the main advantages the Leafs have on every other team in the NHL really, and they've been using it to great effect the last several years.

Edited by Yzermandius19

After demanding a trade out of Winnipeg, and having his wish granted, NY Rangers Defenseman Jacob Trouba signed a 7 year, $56 million contract today, worth $8.0 million/season.

In other news, the Oilers traded Lucic, and his absurd salary to the Calgary Flames, for James Neal. The Calgary fan base is having a collective meltdown. 

Edited by J4L

2 hours ago, J4L said:

After demanding a trade out of Winnipeg, and having his wish granted, NY Rangers Defenseman signed a 7 year, $56 million contract today, worth $8.0 million/season.

In other news, the Oilers traded Lucic, and his absurd salary to the Calgary Flames, for James Neal. The Calgary fan base is having a collective meltdown. 

James Neal had a debacle of a season, but Lucic can't even play anymore, Neal will bounce back playing with McDavid, I can't believe Edmonton found a sucker to take that contract, just goes to show, you can always move a bad contract, because that Lucic contract is arguably the worst in the league, with the possible exception of Louie Eriksson's.

Edited by Dougie93

Even from the point of view of buying them out, Calgary got fleeced.

To buy Neal out costs you $1.96 million for six years, which is bad, but at least you get almost $4 million in cap savings.

The Lucic contract is buyout proof, first four seasons the cap hits even after a buyout are like $3.6 million, $5.6 million,  $4.1 million, and $5.6 million, so even with a buyout you don't save much.

Speaks to the the sheer Harold Ballard syndrome in Calgary that Treliving wasn't fired for the Neal contract in the first place, how do you not see that one coming?

The wheels were falling off when he was in Nashville, jumps on the Vegas bandwagon for a few months, presto, 5 x 5.75 for a 30 year old who was never a fast skater even before the wheels fell off. 

This is why all these RFA's are holding out for five year contracts, with the pace of the game now, 30 is the new 40, if you don't get paid again at 27, you're not getting paid again, even with Harold Ballard syndrome, surely these 30+ year old big contract own goals can't persist for much longer.

33 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

This is why all these RFA's are holding out for five year contracts, with the pace of the game now, 30 is the new 40, if you don't get paid again at 27, you're not getting paid again, even with Harold Ballard syndrome, surely these 30+ year old big contract own goals can't persist for much longer.

Indeed, if you can get a five year contract you have to try. You gotta get paid again in your prime UFA years before you hit thirty or you aren't going to get paid unless there is really stupid GM, and even that probably won't be happening very often by the time these RFA's hit UFA.

Asking for five years is just common sense for these RFA's, expecting them to act different and being mad at them for not acting differently is pointless, if they don't act that way, they are suckers.

Edited by Yzermandius19

15 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Asking for five years is just common sense for these RFA's, expecting them to act different and being mad at them for not acting differently is pointless, if they don't act that way, they are suckers.

Their interests are not my interests, I want my GM to go to war for cap room and break them.

5 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Their interests are not my interests, I want my GM to go to war for cap room and break them.

Acting against their own interests is a silly expectation, not worth getting bent out of shape about. Sure it would be nice if they signed long term on the cheap and were suckers, some of them will probably be dumb enough to do that, but not doing that doesn't make them an asshole. The players should be looking out for themselves, not fan bases with unrealistic expectations, or teams who would prefer a deal that screws them over the most for the good of the team.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Acting against their own interests is a silly expectation, not worth getting bent out of shape about. Sure it would be nice if they signed long term on the cheap and were suckers, some of them will probably be dumb enough to do that, but not doing that doesn't make them an asshole. The players should be looking out for themselves, not fan bases with unrealistic expectations.

It's sports, getting bent out of shape is the whole point.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    paradox34

• SkyHigh earned a badge
      Posting Machine
    • SkyHigh went up a rank
      Proficient
    • gatomontes99 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • gatomontes99 went up a rank