NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

Leafs acquire Jake Muzzin for prospects Grundstrom, Durzi, plus a first.

Still processing the deal, but on the surface it's a top four D at a reasonable cap hit for nothing off the current roster and no lottery picks, so mission accomplished.

Edited by Dougie93

Muzzin's got two years left at $4 million, with Andersen needing a new contract after that, it pretty much covers the immediate window, plus the loss of J-Gards in the off season.

I had high hopes for Grundstrom to be an NHL player, but don't project him to be a star, he's also taken a step back this year with the Marlies.

Durzi wasn't a pick I was a big fan of, so he's expendable.

Late first rounder; basically just a glorified second rounder.

So, I'd say Dubeezus strikes again, not sitting on his hands in the window, going for it now, which is all one can ask.

Edited by Dougie93

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Muzzin's got two years left at $4 million, with Andersen needing a new contract after that, it pretty much covers immediate window, plus the loss of J-Gards in the off season.

I had high hopes for Grundstrom to be an NHL player, but don't project him to be a star, he's also taken a step back this year with the Marlies.

Durzi wasn't a pick I was a big fan of, so he's expendable.

Late first rounder; basically just a glorified second rounder.

So, I'd say Dubeezus strikes again, not sitting on his hands in the window, going for it now, which is all one can ask.

Dubeezus strikes again indeed, covers the loss of J-Gards in the immediate window, while giving up no roster players. Thus far, Dubas has been doing a damn fine job.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Dubeezus strikes again indeed, covers the loss of J-Gards in the immediate window, while giving up no roster players. Thus far, Dubas has been doing a damn fine job.

Damn fine, and Muzzin's cap hit for the rest of this season is only $1.483 million, so they still have just over $4 million in cap room left this year for rentals/

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Damn fine, and Muzzin's cap hit for the rest of this season is only $1.483 million, so they still have just over $4 million in cap room left this year for rentals/

Muzzin is a good fit for Avs East, and the extra spending money for rentals still being available is icing on the cake.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Muzzin is a good fit for Avs East, and the extra spending money for rentals still being available is icing on the cake.

Yeah, perfect fit, Drew Doughty's d partner to play with Mo.

All purpose  top pairing possession D-man with size.

Bomb of a point shot which the Leafs didn't have.

Physical presence who takes the body with aplomb, which the Leafs also didn't have.

Two time Stanley Cup champ, in his prime.

At an affordable cap hit with term.

Practically a Unicorn and yet Dubeezus managed to pry one.

Without giving anyone up off the roster.

Without giving up an A prospect.

Replacing UFA Gardiner at the same time.

Blam.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Yeah, perfect fit, Drew Doughty's d partner to play with Mo.

All purpose  top pairing possession D-man with size.

Bomb of a point shot which the Leafs didn't have.

Physical presence who takes the body with aplomb, which the Leafs also didn't have.

Two time Stanley Cup champ, in his prime.

At an affordable cap hit with term.

Practically a Unicorn and yet Dubeezus managed to pry one.

Without giving anyone up off the roster.

Without giving up an A prospect.

Replacing UFA Gardiner at the same time.

Blam.

That LA Dumpster Fire got robbed blind, well played Dubas, exploitation ftw.

Apparently Carolina would not part with a Dman without getting a roster player back, reportedly Kapanen, Dubstep wasn't giving Kappy up so gave up on the RHD and went for Muzzin.

But I actually think Muzzin is better than Pesce and at least as good as Slavin, he's like a Slavin, except Rob Blake took a bucket o' pucks for Muzzin when the Canes prolly wanted Nylander for Slavin.

Muzzin at $4 million is actually outplaying Doughty at $11 million, Muzzin has been the Kings best D this year, he's the only one having a good year.

Edited by Dougie93

9 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Apparently Carolina would not part with a Dman without getting a roster player back, reportedly Kapanen, Dubstep wasn't giving Kappy up so gave up on the RHD and went for Muzzin.

But I actually think Muzzin is better than Pesce and at least as good as Slavin, he's like a Slavin, except Rob Blake took a bucket o' pucks for Muzzin when the Canes prolly wanted Nylander for Slavin.

Muzzin at $4 million is actually outplaying Doughty at $11 million, Muzzin has been the Kings best D this year, he's the only one having a good year.

Rob Blake has been making a hard go at being one of the worst GMs in the NHL, over the last two years, he starting to work his way into consideration, at the very least.

Edited by Yzermandius19

1 minute ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Rob Blake has been making a hard go at being one of the worst GMs in the NHL, over the last two years, he starting to work his way into consideration, at the very least.

I don't know what Dubstep did to hypnotize him, but everybody  been saying the Leafs gonna have to move Liljegren to get the D, and I had resigned myself to that eventuality.  

I figured Muzzin was in play, but I was expecting the Leafs to be over a barrel, yet somehow Dubstep done sidestepped the overpay, grabbed the fleece, and got the hell out of dodge before Blake came to his senses.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't know what Dubstep did to hypnotize him, but everybody  been saying the Leafs gonna have to move Liljegren to get the D, and I had resigned myself to that eventuality.  

I figured Muzzin was in play, but I was expecting the Leafs to be over a barrel, yet somehow Dubstep done sidestepped the overpay, grabbed the fleece, and got the hell out of dodge before Blake came to his senses.

If y'all had thrown in an overpaid old dude, like Marleau, you probably could have fleeced him even harder. 

Rob Blake loves himself some overpaid old dudes, bet that. I have no idea why, but he wants them all playing for The LA Kings.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

If y'all had thrown in an overpaid old dude, like Marleau, you probably could have fleeced him even harder. 

Rob Blake loves himself some overpaid old dudes, bet that. I have no idea why, but he wants them all playing for The LA Kings.

Marleau would only go back to San Jose, he's not going anywhere else, he might go back the San Jose tho, but would be in offseason methinks.

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Marleau would only go back to San Jose, he's not going anywhere else, he might go back the San Jose tho, but would be in offseason methinks.

If I were Marleau, I sure as fuck wouldn't want to play for the LA Kings either, but Rob Blake would be over the moon to have him, that I can tell you.

Edited by Yzermandius19

If Marleau & Co are going anywhere, they are only going back to their mansion in NoCal.

Thing is, by getting Muzzin to replace Gardiner at Gardiner's $4 million cap hit, that takes a lot of pressure off, they can't afford to resign Gardiner, Muzzin just took his cap slot for next year, and after next year they have to resign Andersen and there is the expansion draft, so they'll have to reset anyways.

This is not their only window, this is just the first window, but it's basically this year and next,  and then they will have to bring up more kids, namely Sandin and Liljegren.

Edited by Dougie93

The more I dig into Muzzin's underlying and advanced stats the better he looks, he one of the best possession players in the league, but I did attribute a considerable amount of that to playing with Drew Doughty, but actually no, he's played a lot with Alec Martinez too and Muzzin still puts up similar numbers.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge