NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

How come there could not be an NHL thread for this forum?

image.png.ff7df7d75ee21bd939fd21b12e84530a.png

1) What do you think of the William Nylander signature? Is he a bust in your mind or is he just getting through a rough period of his life, too much pressure right now or something psychological? 

2) What do you think of the Montréal Canadiens surprisingly okayish season so far, when everyone including me excluded from a playoffs spot, and by far?

3) Trade deadline; Right-handed defenseman for the Leafs? A lefty for the Canadiens? Pietrangelo for Toronto? Jake Muzzin to Montréal?

--------

1) I think he's way overpaid and he should have been traded. Nylander is a number 2 center, with great offensive upside but rather weak physically and he doesn't have the defensive reliability other centers in the Leafs line-up have. Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Kadri all seem to be better 2-ways around the ice than Nylander, and in every aspect. Kadri is grittier than Nylander and has the hands and speed. I still don't get how they didn't trade Nylander for a right handed defenseman earlier this year.

2) I think they will manage to get an 8th or 9th spot at best, and wouldn't get past round 2 in the playoffs, if they get there in the first place. Montréal is full of speedy wingers -with no hands-, unreliable defensemen except for Shea Weber, and a top notch goalie who happens to be human sadly, so ups and downs are a common thing. I hoped they wouldn't be in that spot at the start of the year just so they could draft a stud, oh well, now the Canadiens don't have such a good future ahead.

3) Pietrangelo seems a bit expensive, cap-wise and the Leafs would have to get it at least for a firt rounder and minimum one prospect. Max Pacioretty of the Montréal Canadiens, who was also a captain, was traded for a 2nd round pick AND Nick Suzuki (1st rounder looking extremely slick and talented) AND Tomas Tatar, who's been playing so far so good with the Habs.

Oh and I should say... GO HABS GO

Nylander for under 7 is acceptable, he's simply wrecked his regular season by sitting out, but I would have sat out too, so can't blame him, so long as he signed for less than 7, all is forgiven, at this point he's still in the process of jumping on a moving train which usually goes like this.

The Habs were unlikely to have two terrible starts in a row, they're still broken and unfixable as the Leafs were until Shanahan took over, Habs need to follow the Shanaplan.

Leafs won't make any trade unless the exact guy they are looking for is available.  Would be Parayko over Peitrangelo if STL was the route.

On 1/21/2019 at 9:23 PM, Dougie93 said:

The Habs were unlikely to have two terrible starts in a row, they're still broken and unfixable as the Leafs were until Shanahan took over, Habs need to follow the Shanaplan.

Yup, I wish the higher ups in Montréal were better than Bergevin. He's not too bad, he's just average, but I would rather have Julien Brisebois as GM.

On 1/22/2019 at 1:53 PM, Dougie93 said:

Babs has Matty and Marns on the same line for practice, I'm not getting my hopes up since Babs might not go with it in game, none the less, for the brief moments we've gotten to see it, Matty and Marns together is a whole lotta fun, so fingers crossed.

The two united would make a nasty line with Kapanen on either wing.

11 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

The two united would make a nasty line with Kapanen on either wing.

The way Babs structures his lines is scoring pair + puck retriever/net front presence.   

Right now Kapanen is scoring pair material,  so I don't see Babs using him as the grinder with Matty and Marns.

Chia pet down, and then there were two. Bergevin, Dorion. 

Haberta being crippled by both Harold Ballard Syndrome and the requirement to only hire Frenchies, resulting in a very small pool of candidates indeed.

Ottberta being crippled by Harold Ballard Syndrome and no arena deal.

Oilberta still being crippled by Harold Ballard Syndrome, so wait out, not in anyway a lock, that they will not simply hire another crony here.

No.   Liljegren is available, particularly as Sandin seems to be leaping past him by hockey IQ, but unless your getting something better than Liljegren, just keep powder dry and stick with Liljegren for now.

The Leafs have a near window, but it's not the only window, can reset in a couple years, so the likes of Adam Larsson is not enough to alter the succession plan in place.

10 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

No.   Liljegren is available, particularly as Sandin seems to be leaping past him by hockey IQ, but unless your getting something better than Liljegren, just keep powder dry and stick with Liljegren for now.

The Leafs have a near window, but it's not the only window, can reset in a couple years, so the likes of Adam Larsson is not enough to alter the succession plan in place.

This summer, since the Leafs signed Nylander for way over his value, they're going to have to let some good players go. This year is the perfect window for a deep playoffs run, and since they won't get a good pick because their season is going very well, I think Adam Larsson is a good young player with a good offensive upside but very good in his own end too, he's 26 only too and 5 million on a cap hit which is exactly the range to which the Leafs need to have their Top 4 defenseman at.

Lilegren and Sundin are not available this year, they're not NHL ready and won't be for 2 or 3 years if their progression is normal.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge