Bush: The Disaster President

Time to burst the bubble on another one of those economic myths that Conservatives are better financial managers that progresive folks. It's such ludicrious comments as these that make people lose interest in the political game. I know that the Republicans were screwing up the nation's finances big time but some people are now suggesting that Bush's economic policies are even going to lead to another 1929.

A Price To Be Paid For Folly

It is hard to be optimistic on that score. This president may not literally be incapable of reversing directions, but we have yet to see him do that on any significant matter. Treasury Secretary John Snow reportedly told congressional Republicans in a closed meeting that Katrina strengthens the case for making the Bush tax cuts permanent. Some Republicans in Congress are appalled at the fiscal wreckage, but the leadership on Capitol Hill has yet to assert its constitutional power of the purse or do anything but increase the damage by cutting taxes while simultaneously boosting spending.

The warning signs of impending economic calamity are every bit as evident as the forecasts of ruin for New Orleans when a major hurricane hit.

The runaway budget deficits are compounded by the persistent and growing imbalance in our trade accounts -- jeopardizing the inflow of foreign funds we have used to finance our debt.

At a private dinner the other evening where many of the men and women who have steered economic and fiscal policy during the past two decades were expressing their alarm about this situation, one speaker summarized the feelings of the group:

"I think it's 1925," he said, "and we're headed for 1929."

George W. Bush Still Rocks! Stop Criticizing! The rich man's CEO is exercising his job requirements perfectly

Let's say it outright. The truest measure of any president, of any leader, is how well he takes care of his own people. And Bush, well, Bush has done a simply spectacular job of taking care of exactly his own people -- the wealthy, the corporate, the extreme religious right, his core base of supporters -- while happily and fiercely ignoring, restricting, condemning, destroying the rest. Are you educated or progressive or liberal or alternative-minded or sexually open or homosexual or anti-war? This means you. Are you dirt poor and belong to a minority and don't drive an SUV and contribute six figures per annum to the RNC and maybe live in a flooded swamp in the Louisiana bayou? This means you, squared. Sucker.

Here, then, is the new American motto, as reimagined by BushCo: Give us your tired, your poor, your huddled masses, and we'll let them die in a filthy and decrepit storm-ravaged American football stadium while our president languishes on vacation and ponders his oil futures and fondly remembers his good ol' days of getting drunk at Mardi Gras before going AWOL from the military. God bless America.

Wow, it really is open season on Dubya. This is something I have not seen the likes of since Bush was elected president. It seems like five years of pent up fury is about to be released against the Bush Republicans.

What the hell was bush going to do down there bail the water out. He's a manager, and doesn't have to be there to do that. He relys on the chain of command. Fema isn't going to send people in there until after the storm. To do otherwise would be stupid. When they did send people in there, the people they were suppose to rescue started shooting at them. The governor failed to call out the guard for security and protection and everything came to a stand still.

Right....so now the president of the most powerful country in the world, the man responsible for overseeing disasters of national significance, he was just powerless. :rolleyes:

A Letter to All Who Voted for George W. Bush from Michael Moore

To All My Fellow Americans Who Voted for George W. Bush:

On this, the fourth anniversary of 9/11, I'm just curious, how does it feel?

How does it feel to know that the man you elected to lead us after we were attacked went ahead and put a guy in charge of FEMA whose main qualification was that he ran horse shows?

That's right. Horse shows.

I really want to know -- and I ask you this in all sincerity and with all due respect -- how do you feel about the utter contempt Mr. Bush has shown for your safety? C'mon, give me just a moment of honesty. Don't start ranting on about how this disaster in New Orleans was the fault of one of the poorest cities in America. Put aside your hatred of Democrats and liberals and anyone with the last name of Clinton. Just look me in the eye and tell me our President did the right thing after 9/11 by naming a horse show runner as the top man to protect us in case of an emergency or catastrophe.

I want you to put aside your self-affixed label of Republican/conservative/born-again/capitalist/ditto-head/right-winger and just talk to me as an American, on the common ground we both call America.

Are we safer now than before 9/11? When you learn that behind the horse show runner, the #2 and #3 men in charge of emergency preparedness have zero experience in emergency preparedness, do you think we are safer?

When you look at Michael Chertoff, the head of Homeland Security, a man with little experience in national security, do you feel secure?

When men who never served in the military and have never seen young men die in battle send our young people off to war, do you think they know how to conduct a war? Do they know what it means to have your legs blown off for a threat that was never there?

Do you really believe that turning over important government services to private corporations has resulted in better services for the people

Moore is a very effective communicator.

Apparently Moore is considering making a Katrina movie. He is becoming quit3 a thorn in the side of the Republicans. It looks good on them and so it should.

What the hell was bush going to do down there bail the water out. He's a manager, and doesn't have to be there to do that. He relys on the chain of command. Fema isn't going to send people in there until after the storm. To do otherwise would be stupid. When they did send people in there, the people they were suppose to rescue started shooting at them. The governor failed to call out the guard for security and protection and everything came to a stand still.

Right....so now the president of the most powerful country in the world, the man responsible for overseeing disasters of national significance, he was just powerless. :rolleyes:

Hey buddy, here's a clue for you: the US isn't a dictatorship. I know that's hard for you to swallow, seeing as you have so much time invested in posting horsecrap about Bush being an evil dictator an all. Go ahead and roll your ignorant eyes.

Hey buddy, here's a clue for you: the US isn't a dictatorship. I know that's hard for you to swallow, seeing as you have so much time invested in posting horsecrap about Bush being an evil dictator an all. Go ahead and roll your ignorant eyes.

First: I have never posted anything saying Bush ius a dictator (my hypothesis is that U.S. is slouching towards fascism. but that Bush is not necessarily the driver of that).

Second: your hivemate B.Max stated, essentially, that Bush can't be held responsible for a disaster of national significance because (and I quote) he's a "manager" who "relies on a chain of command". Now, to me when a link in a chain fails, its a leaders' responisbility to ensure things get done regardless of those failures. To take charge, as it were. Now, given FEMA's mandate and the responsibility of the federal government to coordinate the response to disasters of national significance, the responsibility for any failure should ultimately rest with teh head of that government. A real leader would take charge, and assume full responsibilityinstea dof cowering and pointing fingers. Republican supporters willingness to absolve the feds of any blame whatsoever shows how far they've fallen from the time where personal responsibility and leadership was one of the party's values.

So, BD, what do you think of Bush's taking responsibility? So much for your finger pointing nonsense. I'm sure you and your own "hive mates" (because really, the left is the original home of groupthink whether you like it or not) will have plenty of crowing to do about how Bush is merely admitting his own "obvious" short comings. I wonder when your Donk heroes will have the personal convictions to admit their own failures. But then, I guess the Left is never wrong.

So, BD, what do you think of Bush's taking responsibility? So much for your finger pointing nonsense. I'm sure you and your own "hive mates" (because really, the left is the original home of groupthink whether you like it or not) will have plenty of crowing to do about how Bush is merely admitting his own "obvious" short comings. I wonder when your Donk heroes will have the personal convictions to admit their own failures. But then, I guess the Left is never wrong.

So Bush (14 days after the fact) finally accepts responsibility and we're suppossed to fall all over ourselves? The phrase "too little, too late" coems to mind (and its not as though there wil be any real reopercussions: this was strictly a damage control measure). As for the Democrats (which I am not a supporter of, thanks), the Congressional Research Service is reporting that Blanco "took the necessary and timely steps needed to secure disaster relief from the federal government."

The report found that:

-- All necessary conditions for federal relief were met on August 28. Pursuant to Section 502 of the Stafford Act, "(t)he declaration of an emergency by the President makes Federal emergency assistance available," and the President made such a declaration on August 28. The public record indicates that several additional days passed before such assistance was actually made available to the State;

-- The Governor must make a timely request for such assistance, which meets the requirements of federal law. The report states that "(e)xcept to the extent that an emergency involves primarily Federal interests, both declarations of major disaster and declarations of emergency must be triggered by a request to the President from the Governor of the affected state";

-- The Governor did indeed make such a request, which was both timely and in compliance with federal law. The report finds that "Governor Kathleen Babineaux Blanco requested by letter dated August 27, 2005...that the President declare an emergency for the State of Louisiana due to Hurricane Katrina for the time period from August 26, 2005 and continuing pursuant to (applicable Federal statute)" and "Governor Blanco's August 27, 2005 request for an emergency declaration also included her determination...that 'the incident is of such severity and magnitude that effective response is beyond the capabilities of the State and affected local governments and that supplementary Federal assistance is necessary to save lives, protect property, public health, and safety, or to lessen or avert the threat of disaster."

Support for Bush Continues to Drop, Poll Shows

Down, down she goes. Where she'll stop nobody knows.

This post reminds me of your previous nonsense about Karl Rove going down in flames. Which reminds me, I have to send a congratulatory email to his office for orchestrating this whole Katrina thing to take the pressure off himself. Act of God, my foot.

Support for Bush Continues to Drop, Poll Shows

Down, down she goes. Where she'll stop nobody knows.

This post reminds me of your previous nonsense about Karl Rove going down in flames. Which reminds me, I have to send a congratulatory email to his office for orchestrating this whole Katrina thing to take the pressure off himself. Act of God, my foot.

Karl Rove's date with destiny is coming. Wait until the grand jury reports before you make any of your absurd assumptions. :rolleyes: