Alright when is canada going to call uncle...Sam

20 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Such people should have never been so naive or become so complacent to begin with.    China will continue to pursue its globalist objectives for resources and export markets, and I don't think this or other incidents will change the underlying economic dynamic.   

Agreed that it won't be a game changer but perhaps some might think twice before engaging with or visiting China to do business. Perhaps more so than they would if China didn't have this problem. Yes yes I know, economics, etc.

Didn't want to say this but the situation can only help Donald Trump. Triggering China is like giving a dog red meat, there is no doubt how they will react. Total bulls-eye. Just one small move did it too. Really makes me wonder if somebody is either a genius, lucky, or a complete madman...

12 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Agreed that it won't be a game changer but perhaps some might think twice before engaging with or visiting China to do business. Perhaps more so than they would if China didn't have this problem. Yes yes I know, economics, etc.

I had to deal with the Chinese back in the 1990's when there was a mad scramble to get into that market...it was called "technical transfer" for manufacturing expertise that they lacked.    We we warned and coached to never go off script or engage in "politics".    They were like robots, and wanted the same regimented focus from us.    Only a fool would have missed that message, but some people like to play with fire.

Didn't want to say this but the situation can only help Donald Trump. Triggering China is like giving a dog red meat, there is no doubt how they will react. Total bulls-eye. Just one small move did it too. Really makes me wonder if somebody is either a genius, lucky, or a complete madman...

Trump doesn't care what China does on "human rights", just the U.S. trade imbalance, IP theft, dumping, transshipments, etc.    China is better at charm school things, but will still reflexively and viciously attack those who attempt to interfere with domestic policies and laws.   I don't know what this idiot was thinking when he tried to smuggle 200 kilos of meth...that's just stupid in any country.

• Like 2

Canadians are simply at the threshold of American support, because Canada is making itself into a fifth column for the Chinese inside the American perimeter.

This is what strategic warning looks like; stop and walk back to us, or you're in no mans land without backup.

Edited by Dougie93

6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Remember the 50 US hostages that Canada smuggled out of Iran using fake Canadian passports?  

Those were diplomats, this is a narcotraficante, and not the first offence, he was convicted of selling meth by dial-a-dope in BC, which,  I wouldn't care if it was just relatively harmless contraband, but it was meth, which destroys people.

So, Karma has come for him now, and he even delivered himself up to it.

As much as you can't trust a Chicom kangaroo court,  based on his criminal history in Canada, the case the Chinese are asserting seems very plausible, I think he's guilty just as they say.

Edited by Dougie93
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Remember the 50 US hostages that Canada smuggled out of Iran using fake Canadian passports?  

The difference is hostages, this guy in China is a drug runner. I would not doubt the amount of 200 KGs is enough to get you life in Canada and in the USA.

• Like 1

We all agree that smuggling a dangerous drug like that into China was a dumbass move and buyer beware when it comes to Chinese law enforcement, except that the original legal decision was rescinded, so that he could be retried and sentenced to death. It happened in the wake of Weng’s extradition hearing, which makes this appear as arbitrary political interference, which I’m sure it is.  The Canadian government has a duty to protect its citizens from arbitrary and extreme punishment.  America would do the same thing.

Edited by Zeitgeist

15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

The Canadian government has a duty to protect its citizens from arbitrary and extreme punishment.

With what exactly? 

15 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

America would do the same thing

Umm we do, you don't hear people executing Americans for a reason. It's too costly for a country to do that, they'd bear the full might of American hegemony, look at what happened to North Korea, Venezuela, Iran, Russia. We can sanction the hell out of any one country. Is it worth it to execute American prisoners? Clearly no. I highly doubt there wasn't an American who tried to do exactly what this Canadian did in other places around the world. 

And this isn't out of some misguided good will from the politician, its just if our media get wind of it, there will be hell to pay for anyone party that doesn't recover an American back. 

Edited by paxamericana

1 hour ago, paxamericana said:

With what exactly? 

Umm we do, you don't hear people executing Americans for a reason. It's too costly for a country to do that, they'd bear the full might of American hegemony, look at what happened to North Korea, Venezuela, Iran, Russia. We can sanction the hell out of any one country. Is it worth it to execute American prisoners? Clearly no. I highly doubt there wasn't an American who tried to do exactly what this Canadian did in other places around the world. 

And this isn't out of some misguided good will from the politician, its just if our media get wind of it, there will be hell to pay for anyone party that doesn't recover an American back. 

Please don't be naïve in this.  The US isn't immune and Americans have been detained and executed in many countries.  Either we stand together and denounce it, as the US allies took action after 911 against the Taliban and Al Qaeda or expect more such human rights abuses.  Also, if the US government chooses to only stand up for Americans and not seek to stand up for the mistreatment of all citizens, it will be harder for America to find the support of allies.  Imagine if Britain hadn't bothered declaring war against Germany after the invasion of Poland.  We don't say, "Well we don't care because they're Poles."  Canada has spoken out against Russian interference and military campaigns in the Ukraine.  Trump is very laissez-faire about such matters and so more countries are trying on oppressive behavior.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiY59SEtfDfAhUJ54MKHUX-B28QFjAAegQICxAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kurdistan24.net%2Fen%2Fnews%2F65063dfb-50a8-4aaa-9ddf-8f54199fbf8b%2Firan-hanged-an-iranian-american-for-a-crime-committed-in-california&usg=AOvVaw3HIkaC_E7Vs1fZctZA3CnW

Edited by Zeitgeist

25 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Please don't be naïve in this.  

And now Iran is even more of a third world shit hole. You think that was by accident? 

My beef is with people who criticize American hegemony and run to america asking for aid when the baddies bully them... like how hypocritical can you get. 

Edited by paxamericana
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

And now Iran is even more of a third world shit hole. You think that was by accident? 

My beef is with people who criticize American hegemony and run to america asking for aid when the baddies bully them... like how hypocritical can you get. 

I don’t criticize American power as a force for good. With power comes responsibility. Anyone with power can abuse people for selfish gain.  History is full of stories of misused power.  The challenge is to show restraint when necessary and exert power for the right reasons.  It’s basically the same function as being an authoritative parent. 

48 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t criticize American power as a force for good. With power comes responsibility. Anyone with power can abuse people for selfish gain.  History is full of stories of misused power.  The challenge is to show restraint when necessary and exert power for the right reasons.  It’s basically the same function as being an authoritative parent. 

Yes well those restraint are becoming unshackled. The only thing our politician fear is the people.That's a built in regulatory mechanism. 

As for naively believing that China can righteous supplant the US as the next hegemon, I hope all this has been a good lesson for everyone who thought so. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/mattis-held-trump-admin-back-on-iran-but-now-hes-gone-2019-1

Edited by paxamericana

2 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

My problem with the Trump administration on Iran is that it presents double standards which look like partisan political retaliation:  Obama showed some support for improving relations with Iran, so Trump slammed Iran and fawned over the Saudi prince.  Obama spoke out against Putin with regard to the Ukraine; Trump seems to make light of Putin's expansionism.  Trump even spoke glowingly about President Xi becoming ruler for life.  Iran is currently holding an American and Iran is a problem, but it's not the only problem.  If he wants credibility for standing up for human rights, it has to be everywhere, not just in selected countries. 

5 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

If he wants credibility for standing up for human rights, it has to be everywhere, not just in selected countries. 

HA! good luck with that. The world doesn't work that way. Trump is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of America. His definition is America first, not everyone else first at the expense of America as was Obama's strategy. 

19 minutes ago, paxamericana said:

HA! good luck with that. The world doesn't work that way. Trump is doing what he thinks is in the best interest of America. His definition is America first, not everyone else first at the expense of America as was Obama's strategy. 

MAGA predates Trump, he got that from Reagan.   MAGA has simply adopted Trump as its mascot, it is in the Red districts where they are doing what they think is best, Trump is simply following their  instructions.   Trump himself simply wanting to carry on with the Trump brand imperial project, but it's quid pro quo, the Red base has simply hired him to do a job and he is simply doing business with them therein.

Edited by Dougie93

5 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

We all agree that smuggling a dangerous drug like that into China was a dumbass move and buyer beware when it comes to Chinese law enforcement, except that the original legal decision was rescinded, so that he could be retried and sentenced to death. It happened in the wake of Weng’s extradition hearing, which makes this appear as arbitrary political interference, which I’m sure it is.  The Canadian government has a duty to protect its citizens from arbitrary and extreme punishment.  America would do the same thing.

Except that this dumb ass meth smuggler appealed the original sentence of 15 years, opening the door to a harsher sentence.

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Oh great...so now America is supposed to be the parental function for nations with less power and influence, like Canada ?   American power does not exist as a force for good....it exists as a force for American interests, and that does not include stupid Canadian drug smugglers.

The U.S. also executes convicted criminals....just like China.

Edited by bush_cheney2004
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Oh great...so now America is supposed to be the parental function for nations with less power and influence, like Canada ?   American power does not exist as a force for good....it exists as a force for American interests, and that does not include stupid Canadian drug smugglers.

The U.S. also executes convicted criminals....just like China.

Yes the death penalty is a retrograde practice.  The point is that the US, UK, EU, Canada, and all countries that purport to have rule of law and be free liberal democracies should be unified and vocal in defending human rights, or else Russia and China will fill the gaps where they can find them.  No, we don't expect America to go it alone, but the "Land of the Free" superpower shouldn't be averting its eyes or accepting double standards.  Either you stand for human rights everywhere or you stand for them nowhere.

4 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Yes the death penalty is a retrograde practice.  The point is that the US, UK, EU, Canada, and all countries that purport to have rule of law and be free liberal democracies should be unified and vocal in defending human rights, or else Russia and China will fill the gaps where they can find them.  No, we don't expect America to go it alone, but the "Land of the Free" superpower shouldn't be averting its eyes or accepting double standards.  Either you stand for human rights everywhere or you stand for them nowhere.

What double standard ?    The United States executes prisoners for crimes, just like China.   I already pointed out that Canada has refused to extradite criminals back to the U.S. because it has a "different" standard.   As for this meth smuggling dummy, he will not be rescued by the ridiculous expectation that all Canadians should only be subjected to Canadian justice and punishments, regardless of which country they commit crimes in.

Also, LAV exports to the Saudis appears to be more important than "human rights" for Canada.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

What double standard ?    The United States executes prisoners for crimes, just like China.   I already pointed out that Canada has refused to extradite criminals back to the U.S. because it has a "different" standard.   As for this meth smuggling dummy, he will not be rescued by the ridiculous expectation that all Canadians should only be subjected to Canadian justice and punishments, regardless of which country they commit crimes in.

Also, LAV exports to the Saudis appears to be more important than "human rights" for Canada.

Well that's my point.  I understand that hypocrisy is part of the human condition, but there's too much of it going around these days.  We need moral leadership.  I'm not even talking about some Puritanical religious notion of morality, just more decency and consistency. 

2 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Well that's my point.  I understand that hypocrisy is part of the human condition, but there's too much of it going around these days.  We need moral leadership.  I'm not even talking about some Puritanical religious notion of morality, just more decency and consistency. 

No, not any more than was missing in the past.     "Human rights" has often been a political football for more narrow and selfish interests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

The point is that the US, UK, EU, Canada, and all countries that purport to have rule of law and be free liberal democracies should be unified and vocal in defending human rights, or else Russia and China will fill the gaps where they can find them.

Hard to do when those same nations you listed are in bed with other nations who do the very same thing, yet they are tolerated.

"Why is that, oh Socrates?"
"Because my son, no sensible man attempts to profit from worthless things. But inasfar as greed is a desire for profit, then it is also a desire for the good. Thus, everyone is greedy."